Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 4:00:52 PM EDT
Anyone have this? How good does it work? I can ummm use this to make backup copies of my DVDs right? [:D]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
> Anyone have this?

Sure.

> How good does it work?

Works fine in the stand-alone DVD player connected to the TV, as well in the DVD drive built into the computer.

> I can ummm use this to make backup copies of > my DVDs right?

That's a possibility.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
easy to use? DVD's will take 2 cd's? Will there be a breaking point in the disk? More details please.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

> easy to use?

Pop the DVD into the drive, hit Play. How difficult is this? Here in the US the default setting is is English voices, no subtitles. You can figure out the advanced settings later :)

> DVD's will take 2 cd's?

There are DVD changers out there, I think. But you can also copy a DVD to your computer's harddrive, and from there to CD-R.

> Will there be a breaking point in the disk?

Oh, certainly. Careful! If you break a DVD, you'll have golden flakes all over the room. Do you really want to explain your friends how and why you have golden flakes sprinkled all over the your hair?

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
So, you can fit one whole side of a DVD on a CDR? Do you have the version that allows you to download movie covers?

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, you can fit one whole side of a DVD on a CDR?
View Quote

In a way, yes. You wouldn't need the foreign languages, the "Making of", subtitles, menu and such to begin with, only the movie itself, and the English soundtrack. Then, the video quality is sampled down somewhat, a bit less than DVD quality, but still waaaaay better than VHS. Of course, you would need a fairly decent computer, say in the 800 Mhz range and 512 megs of RAM to convert the stuff overnight. Yes, it takes quite some time.

Details, hints, more appropriate forum and the software at:
[url]http://www.divx-digest.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you post up a link for this software or a similiar one that works well? I also have a DVD RAM drive that says removing the dvd media from the cartridge may work in some newer DVD playback drives. Either way I also have a CD-R, and would love to backup some of my movies. I already have a few scratched from lending to friends... They will be borrowing CD-Rs from now on [}:D]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Nero (from [url]http://www.ahead.de[/url]) has something about being able to create video CDs that will play in DVD players.  It's an additional-cost plugin.

Never used it or seen it, just took a look yesterday because I'd like to get all of my "Simpsons" episodes off VHS tapes and onto the computer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:39:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone have this?
View Quote

Oooooh! Now I'm getting it! Woops. I thought the topic meant "Looking for a DVD wizard", when it actually seems to mean "Does anyone have a software called DVD Wizard?"
Never frigging mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top