Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
GTFO
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense to anyone but I disagree with NYS laws why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous, and if you can convert it really that easily what is NY thinking?

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it...

*sigh*

13 post

TROLL ya think ?    
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]

why is corn legal, someone might convert it into MMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOONNNSHHHIIIINNNNEEE!!!!!!

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I just found out from a buddy of mine that the M203 is legal for civilian use in NY only if it is 37mm? ? ? Why cant a person just buy the 37mm and buy the 40mm parts kit and sleeve and convert them using the 37mm receiver? ? ? Did NY think of that? ? ? Or cant you do that? ? ?

or a paintball M203 and add the real parts?

No offense to anyone but I disagree with NYS laws why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous, and if you can convert it really that easily what is NY thinking?

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it... EDIT

So, pretty much what your saying is; its black, scary and militaristic, it should be illegal. Wow, where have I heard that before??

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop calling this guy a troll.  He is just a newbie from behind enemy lines who has been so indoctrinated he doesn't realize it is even possible to think differently.

OP, you do realize that making things illegal doesn't stop criminals...look at the firearms laws in Manhattan.  You say people shouldn't have these things unless they are in the police or the military...well they say the same thing in NYC, and look what happens.  Regular joes can't own a defensive firearms to save their life (literally) and the gangbangers just get their weapons from the black market and have nothing to fear.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Slight thread hijack.

Why did the U.S. go with a separate grenade launcher attachment rather than rifle grenades like the most everybody else?

We had rifle gernades for a long time also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my point was its dangerous if you could easily buy a 37mm under barrel "flare" launcher for your weapon and convert it without a paper trail to a M203 (Putting a riffled real 203 barrel, and all the parts like the firing pin and etc in it...)

Or can you not do that (successfully convert it) I would feel a lot better if you couldnt.

and the fact that it is highly illegal still doesn't matter if you could do it or not because i am sure if it could be done ppl would do it.

Having a recent rash of drive-by grenade launching incidents up in your neck of the woods or are you just the worrisome type?
If the latter, then I promise you there are a lot more relevant things to concern yourself with besides dreaming up unlikely scenarios and wishing they were illegal.  What's next? Afraid somebody will use a .50 bmg to take down an airliner?

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Where would you get 40mm military rounds even if you HAD the launcher?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it...

This post sickitates me.  You realize that "because we love our ARs" is not the reason we were guaranteed the right to own them (by people much brighter and ethical than any politician today.)  We are supposed to possess ARMS to be able to protect our freedoms from any threat.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been wondering about these.

The definition of a machine gun is that it "fires more than one round with each depression of the trigger" right?

What about a round that fires 18 simultaneously?

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image509.7291230_std.png

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image459.7291446_std.png

This 40mm adapter is capable of firing (18) 22 caliber bullets at once from your 40mm weapon.

A pistol primer is pressed into the bottom of the adapter.  When the weapon is fired, this primer actuates firing pins inside the adapter that shoots off the (18) 22 caliber bullets all at once!

This adapter packs quite a punch! We also make an XM922 40mm adapter. See product list for details of the XM922 adapter.

These arent machine guns because they arent capable of loading another round and continue to fire when you hold down the trigger. You fire it once and it's empty. Not a machine gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Slight thread hijack.

Why did the U.S. go with a separate grenade launcher attachment rather than rifle grenades like the most everybody else?

Rifle grenades are somewhat handier as you just need an attachment, and gas cut off on the rifle.   But you do need to load a blank round, and the rifle grenade rounds are less accurate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous

So am I actually looking at a Marine telling me that I should be banned from owning this because I'm "not in the military" and that makes it "dangerous?"

I wonder what he thinks about the belt fed full auto HMG's I see at the range every now and then, which are owned by men who are "not in the military."

God damn DUtards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous

So am I actually looking at a Marine telling me that I should be banned from owning this because I'm "not in the military" and that makes it "dangerous?"

I wonder what he thinks about the belt fed full auto HMG's I see at the range every now and then, which are owned by men who are "not in the military."

God damn DUtards.

Tell him "Semper Fi" for me, and that he's retarded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I just found out from a buddy of mine that the M203 is legal for civilian use in NY only if it is 37mm? ? ? Why cant a person just buy the 37mm and buy the 40mm parts kit and sleeve and convert them using the 37mm receiver? ? ? Did NY think of that? ? ? Or cant you do that? ? ?

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it is legal or smart.

wrong. A M203 with a 37 mm is a regular firearm according to the ATF as long as you do not use antipersonnel rounds. The M203 receiver is a title I firearm as long as it does not have the 40mm barrel. Randy Shivak has been making 37mm Kits for the M203 and M79 for years.

What I do not understand is how are those under barrel launchers not considered SBRs once you attach then to a rifle.
because they're considered a DD no matter what the configuration.
Nevermind, you meant the 37mm

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it... EDIT

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've heard that they can be found... For the right price.

ETA: Does anyone know if it's a $200 tax per round of 40mm HE?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong. A M203 with a 37 mm is a regular firearm according to the ATF as long as you do not use antipersonnel rounds. The M203 receiver is a title I firearm as long as it does not have the 40mm barrel. Randy Shivak has been making 37mm Kits for the M203 and M79 for years.

What I do not understand is how are those under barrel launchers not considered SBRs once you attach then to a rifle.

And the 37mm IS NOT A GUN so it has no requirements.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong. A M203 with a 37 mm is a regular firearm according to the ATF as long as you do not use antipersonnel rounds.  The M203 receiver is a title I firearm as long as it does not have the 40mm barrel.  Randy Shivak has been making 37mm Kits for the M203 and M79 for years.

Why would they be? its just a flare launcher, not a firearm. Since it isn't a firearm it can't be controlled under the NFA.

This is correct. To the best of my knowledge the 37mm flare launchers are not 4473 firearms. They are flare launchers. This is why the conversion units used to fire shotgun shells in a 37mm launcher are (don't remember exactly which) either banned or sold per piece as a firearm...Not sure the exact F-troop position on those at the current time.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys... I am not a troll did not mean to piss anyone off nor am I Sarah or ATF trying to hunt for ppl (I dont get that one I thought baiting was illegal in the States)... and yes I am somewhat of a newbie... and I have no problem with the Evil Black Weapons it is just I think it is a little far for someone to own a grenade launcher, because I have seen what a HEDP 40mm can do a couple of guys were practicing with them in my unit and damn... Now you guys made good arguments...

almost impossible to find ammo
if you convert a 37mm even with a 40mm riffled barrel and parts the receiver would not be able to handle the pressure and explode.
No one sees "bad guys" using grenade launchers to take down "good guys"
And of course the tax stamp

so thank you to those who actually answered the question, you made me feel a little better.  I am sorry if I made anyone feel like i was a troll? But I assure you I was not trying to piss anyone off. I thought asking a question like this under a general rifle forum someone would have a lot of knowledge on the subject and there were lots of people with a lot of knowledge on this subject! Thank you all!

Semper FI
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
my point was its dangerous if you could easily buy a 37mm under barrel "flare" launcher for your weapon and convert it without a paper trail to a M203 (Putting a riffled real 203 barrel, and all the parts like the firing pin and etc in it...)

Or can you not do that (successfully convert it) I would feel a lot better if you couldnt.

and the fact that it is highly illegal still doesn't matter if you could do it or not because i am sure if it could be done ppl would do it.

I can't tell if your serious or on the wrong site.

Are you aware that semi auto rifles can be converted by qualified persons into  GASP!! machineguns????? Oh, the horror!! And certain chemicals or progressive burning propellant can be converted into OH DOUBLE GASP!!!  IEDs????

I'm assuming you're just yankin' our chain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Guys... I am not a troll did not mean to piss anyone off nor am I Sarah or ATF trying to hunt for ppl (I dont get that one I thought baiting was illegal in the States)... and yes I am somewhat of a newbie... and I have no problem with the Evil Black Weapons it is just I think it is a little far for someone to own a grenade launcher, because I have seen what a HEDP 40mm can do a couple of guys were practicing with them in my unit and damn... Now you guys made good arguments...

if you convert a 37mm even with a 40mm riffled barrel and parts the receiver would not be able to handle the pressure and explode.

so thank you to those who actually answered the question, you made me feel a little better.  I am sorry if I made anyone feel like i was a troll? But I assure you I was not trying to piss anyone off. I thought asking a question like this under a general rifle forum someone would have a lot of knowledge on the subject and there were lots of people with a lot of knowledge on this subject! Thank you all!

Semper FI

Don't worry, you'll probably get called a troll a lot more before you're done here!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Could you please point out to me where one would buy 40mm grenades to shoot out of this "dangerous" launcher?

Tube is not worth chicken shit without ammo. Please tell me where I would find ammo for this dangerous tube?
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong if the 37 mm is built on a 40 mm receiver then IT IS a title one firearm because the receiver is.  An RPB or Spikes is not considered a gun because they are incapable of being converted to a 40 mm launcher.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I thnk the one fella was right. OP has just been so indoctrinated with the leftist BS that he didn't think things through.

Good on you OP for using your head. Stick around. Weed through the crap. There are actually some knowledgable people here. I had a friend years ago who came from an extremely liberal family. It took me years buy I brought him over to the dark side...(insert evil laugh here.) Now he has spent a fortune on EBRs and ammo.

Anyone have the thread/site/documentation of the idiot who tried to make a HE 37mm out of tannerite? He's minus most of his left hand now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semper FI

Don't worry, you'll probably get called a troll a lot more before you're done here!  

That's a safe bet, I had a though that translated poorly from my head to the screen and spent 8 or so pages being called a troll, and I was over 8k at the time It happens, a thick skin is need to battle in the squirrel cage
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard that they can be found... For the right price.

ETA: Does anyone know if it's a $200 tax per round of 40mm HE?

Each round of HE requires a $200 tax stamp. Training/Practice rounds do not.

That is why people with cannon/howitzers use solid shot rounds and not HE rounds.

As far as the adapter for using a shotgun round in a 37mm flare launcher, they are legal for use only with a 12ga flare round. Otherwise it now becomes a NFA regulated item.

And BTW, there is not a "pressure differential" between a 37mm or a 40mm, unless you are using a 40mm round designed for a AGL such as a MK19. The standard 40mm rounds are considered low pressure. The 37mm is not a "high pressure" round.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#31]
It took me about...  oh...  30 minutes to convert an AKS-74U into Full Auto...  And it was the first one I ever did!

I hope that makes you sleep better at night.    

Muhahahahahahah!!!!   *GasP!* hahahaha!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#32]
If you are asking if a Colt M203 40mm barrel will fit a Et-cetera or RPB 37mm, no, the rails are a different size, and you wouldn't be able to mount same barrel.

I've know a place where one might be able to buy a M203HE they are $xxxx dollars each, its legal to have it if your state allows it. You need an explosives storage permit, follow the Federal and state guidelines & regulations, comply with storage regulations, storage magazine and you still have to pay the tax stamp on each one that all has to happen before you can purchase said round and you have to have proof of it as well. Record the date, time, location & name of range of where the round was fired. I don't believe they can be fired at just any ole place either. You also have to return the casing to the ATF as proof that it has been fired since its serial numbered they'll know if you are lying & warrant a No Knock to recover it.  

But as it stands you have to know someone who knows someone who knows someone to get a lead on the ammunition. Good luck though!

Can you imagine the kind of paperwork to purchase an HE round and transport it across country to your home state?  

The easiest way to get 40MM grenades to fire is to enlist in the Military, you get to fire them, see it go bang and you don't pay a dime for it.....oops I missed...ohwell Que DI for ass reaming because you didn't pay attention to instructions...and repeat.

Not worth the hassle at all, better off sticking to the M781 chalk munitions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I see you haven't really looked around the board in between your 14 posts since August. GTFO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

eBay...duh!

Nick
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the barrel is 37mm then the breech plate should be as well, so trying to stick a 40mm barrel on a 37mm device (if it would go on) wouldn't even work because the 40mm round would be 3mm too big to fit the breech plate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If someone buys a shotgun, and saws 8" of barrel off they would have a sawed off shotgun.

By your reasoning everyone buying a shotgun is a potenetial criminal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sorry guys, I couldn't get through the hole thread before responding to this liberal idiocy!

Here in Indiana we can have 37mms and even register them as DDs and home roll some really nasty things (non-HE). We can also have a 40mm real deal M203s and anything that can be launched from it besides poison gas or high explosives. You may have not know about this prior to your ignorant comments, but guess what, not one crime has EVAR been committed with one!!! Why would you have an object made illegal because you disapprove of it. If you don't likee it, don't buy it and don't allow them in your own house. I am a law abiding citizen and I see NO REASON IN HELL not to own something that I like if I'm responsible with it and it has NO affect on YOU!!! Get over it, in this country we punish crimes and NOT the entire citizenry because of the actions of one, or the possibility of ones criminal actions!!! Its progressive thinking like yours that has the country in the crapper, so congratulations. [/libertarian rant]
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If someone buys a shotgun, and saws 8" of barrel off they would have a sawed off shotgun.

As long as the barrel was 26" or longer to start with, not a problem.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Best scene from a movie ever with a Thumper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LZn95QumW8

"He is close Stan, he is real close"

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as the barrel was 26" or longer to start with, not a problem.

Nick

Way to miss the point.

Someone could alter a shotgun into an illegal weapon, therefore all shotguns should be illegal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You are the reason we have such fucked up gun laws.  Thanks!

Semper I buddy

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Comparing the M203 40mm to the civilian 37mm is like comparing the M16A2 to an AR15A2.

I think it's more akin to comparing an AR15 to an airsoft rifle...
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
try the DD forum over in armory, and read up on ATF regs while at it. you can buy a "real 37mm" cheaper than some paintball guns...
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong if the 37 mm is built on a 40 mm receiver then IT IS a title one firearm because the receiver is.  An RPB or Spikes is not considered a gun because they are incapable of being converted to a 40 mm launcher.

That's not entirely true. The Spikes is supposed to be stout enough that AFTER you get your tax stamp back and serial number the reciever, you can actually bore it out to a smooth bore 40mm. They still will NOT handle the big high pressure military rounds, but they will do more cool stuff than a 37. Also those bee hive 22lr or 9mm rounds can be turned down to 37mm AFTER you register the 37mm as a DD. Once its a DD, the fun can begin, but the pressures it can take are limited. Real shotgun shells, tear gas, bee hives, rubber shot, flash bangs, wooden slugs, and more are fair game once its registered. Until then its smoke, flares, chalk, and fireworks (cool but costly).

No 37mm recievers will accept a real 40mm rifles M203 barrel. You can however buy an M203 reciever and put a 37mm smooth bore barrel on it to keep it a title 1 firearm instead of a DD. What a waste of a $1700 reciever though! If you decided to do this, I would advise that you never order a 40mm barrel. It would be like having an AR pistol with an M4 buffer tube and an extra M4 stock in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

why is corn legal, someone might convert it into MMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOONNNSHHHIIIINNNNEEE!!!!!!

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

LOL... That is pretty funny... And tragically true from the "ban" crowd...
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell, all this talk is making me want to call Spikes!
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

NY allows large bore destructive devices so you can own 40mm REAL grenade launchers in NY.

A lot of guys here own real 40mm grenade launchers. Including myself.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

your sounding a little like a douche bag.

A lot of guys here own real 40mm grenade launchers. Including myself.

Personal attacks are bad even if they are justified.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#49]
oh whhhhaaaa
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No NFA items in NY state

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top