Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 8:04:46 AM EDT
Several months ago, I posted about my brother's divorce.  It seemed like a real cathartic for folks on the site, so I figure that you'll appreciate an update.

She has refused all requests to get a job and, at the advice of her lawyer, will continue to remain unemployed.  

They have been married for about seven years, and have no kids.  Part of her initial settlement demand included $400 per month support for the dog!!!

It's to the point where if he doesn't laugh, he's gonna cry.  The final cost is going to be about $150,000 which will just about wipe him out.

I'm going to have a t-shirt made like this:

[center][red][size=3]I JUST DIVORCED MY
WIFE AND ALL I GOT
WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
[i]No, really, this is all I got!![/i][/center][/red][/size=3]

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Go downtown with $20 and a crack rock. Find some jonesin crackhead and make a deal. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The only good news is that he'll be able to keep working and eventually make that back, and then some.  She'll continue to be a loser forever.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I am supposing that your brother lives in Virginia, but what I always tell my husband divorce clients down here in Texas about community property settlements is this:

[b]In Texas, 'Community property settlement' means you get to keep whatever falls off the truck as your ex-wife drives away![/b]

There are exceptions, of course, such as when it's the ex-husband [s]driving[/s] walking away from his former residence.

Eric The(Realistic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go downtown with $20 and a crack rock. Find some jonesin crackhead and make a deal. Problem solved.
View Quote

Pangea,  boy you might have opened a whole can of worms with the PETA folk, suggesting that harm may come to the dog at the hands of some crackhead.  [smash]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if Fatman's brother is not into your tastes?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My older brother is also going through a messy divorce.  They had been married for 17 years, and have 2 kids.  My brother decided to divorce this women because of verbal abuse directed towards the children.  The is a past alcoholic and still goes to AA, and she appears quite insane.  Neither have any money to speak of, so they are fighting over nothing.  Of course, the woman always gets the children in Georgia despite her harmful mental state.  Her vehicle was just reposesed as she could no longer pay for it.  My father loaned her his old car and she wrecked it within two weeks, then tried to lie about her being at fault, and plus she didn't have insurance, so dad gets the bill and the charge on his insurance.  My brother is trying to get on with his life by pursuing a music career which hes always enjoyed.  

I'll tell you about my younger brother later, who is definately headed for a divorce with woman hes with if they get married.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
? shooter69
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Pangea,  boy you might have opened a whole can of worms with the PETA folk, suggesting that harm may come to the dog at the hands of some crackhead.  [smash]
View Quote

I think that Pangea was suggesting that the wife needs to go, not the dog.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Deadman that was my impression also.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow my divorce seems to be a lot better than most.....I have payed $500 my lawyer and I have the truck, dog and my guns and I don't have to pay my bitch of a wife anything.

oh get your brother a bumper sticker from the Georgia Arms catalog that says "My Ex-wife's car is a broom" [}:D]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She has refused all requests to get a job and, at the advice of her lawyer, will continue to remain unemployed.  

They have been married for about seven years, and have no kids.  Part of her initial settlement demand included $400 per month support for the dog!!!

It's to the point where if he doesn't laugh, he's gonna cry.  The final cost is going to be about $150,000 which will just about wipe him out.

Any other suggestions?
View Quote

yeah- give me the name of her lawyer- I'm sick o' bustin ' my hump- I wanna make my wife pay all my bills from now on [:D]

(wife looking over my shoulder)

Uh- just kidding dear-[shock]

OW!! [xx(]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell your brother to move to Florida. The laws in Florida protect those from having their wages, pension and retirement funds garnished.

It worked for O.J. Simpson, that's precisely why he moved there. I would check with an attorney before doing so. I think it's worth saving 150,000, if that indeed, is what he stands to lose.

upward and onward
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Michigan is an odd state, with something called 'property fault'.
Than means she gets the divorce with no problem, and if she can make any accusation at all, dating from before the breakup, or after that when they 'get back together' for 5 minutes at her pleading before she calls the cops (and I mean any accusation at all against him that could be possible at all in any reality, no real evidence needed) even in the absence of kids she goes from 50/50 to 70/30 her favor. With kids she will likely get it all.
It is so bogus it is just crazy. The accusations just fly when she files.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know why I am bothering with this, but am I suppose to care about this in any way? ..... Hell No
Still, I'm going to take the side of the women since they are not here to defend themselves. Right or wrong, they deserve equal representation. That's just the American way.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't know why I am bothering with this, but am I suppose to care about this in any way? ..... Hell No
Still, I'm going to take the side of the women since they are not here to defend themselves. Right or wrong, they deserve equal representation. That's just the American way.

View Quote

Right. Make it equal. That's all I ask too, and millions of other Persons. And children. And I'm not taking sides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top