Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 7:22:54 AM EDT
Talk about pucker factor. Turns out they are actually going to give me more money back! Cool!

I had my return prepared by HR Block, and have already recieved my money, and thought I was done with it. This letter shows up yesterday where the IRS tells me they have changed the figures on my return because they found some dicrepancies between their figures and mine, and they would be sending me a check in the next 6 weeks to cover the difference. I am stunned. I would never have thought they would own up and pay back if you had made a mistake which benefitted them financially. It makes me wonder though, is there actually more wrong stuff on my return. I hope nothing comes back up in the future over the preparation of this return. I know Block says they will cover any loss due to mistakes in their work, but those are the kind of things that earn you audits years down the road, and though I have nothing to hide, I would just as soon not go through that process.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Great!  Now, go back to H&R Block and demand a refund, since the screwed up your return.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
just wait...is 6 years the IRS will come back and blame you for their refund they sent being inaccurate and will want penalties and interest
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
3 or 4 years ago Colorado started a "sale tax" refund rather than cut the tax rate.

Well, I miss calculated my state return. So a few weeks later, instead of a refund check I got a letter that said the same thing. That my return was figured wrong and they stated what the actual refund check would be. I got it about a week later.

I doubt that the IRS will hassle you over this down the road. But keep all records of this just in case.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
State return from IL last year-
IL sends me check for 118$
Il sends me letter say I owe them 255$
Blaster sends them 255$
Il says since they didn't notify accting firms of changes in tax law, they send check for 35$
Blah, Blah, Blah, filed in february, not cleared up until july. If my accountant does this to me this year, he will become a pop-up target at the
Black Rifle convention.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
revrat,
as a simple precaution I would write a short cover letter to H&R Block and include a 'copy' of the letter from the IRS.  Probably best to send  via ceritifed mail, return receipt requested.

You're putting H&R Block on notice that the IRS has determined a different result.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#7]
We live in such a free country that a simple letter from a government agency has some people quaking in the boots for fear of an audit which involves the amount of stress similar to medieval torture.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
revrat, don't worry about it.  I've had it happen a couple of times.  The last time was when I didn't realize I qualified for an earned income tax credit.  I do about 50 returns per year for friends and family, and I didn't know about the new rule.  Fortunately, the only return I messed-up on was my own.  The IRS caught it, and sent me a $290 check back.  My expenses on my taxes are nearly my income and I have a home office, so I'm prime audit material, and they haven't audited me yet!  You have nothing to worry about.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top