Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 1:06:38 AM EDT
Might attract far less trolls and return to a more technical dicussion forum.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
So many people would have nothing to do if GD went away!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So many paying members would have nothing to do if GD went away.

(myself included!!)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Because this is the only online discussion group on the interweb? How about Freeconservatives... or troll DU.

Or make GD a paying member benefit to cut back on trolls... or at least it would make trolls support the site if they wanted to troll that bad that they would pay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or make GD a paying member benefit to cut back on trolls... or at least it would make trolls support the site if they wanted to troll that bad that they would pay.

You know, that is not a half bad idea.

Yer right--it's an ALL bad idea.  

This has been brought up from time to time--and always shot down.  The GD is the heart and soul of the site.  This board is the largest (twice as big as the next largest) firearms-related site on the 'net--don't fix it if it ain't broke.  It ain't broke.  

1GUNRUNNER agrees with me so I must be right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
GD kicks ass.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, that is not a half bad idea.

Yer right--it's an ALL bad idea.  

This has been brought up from time to time--and always shot down.  The GD is the heart and soul of the site.  This board is the largest (twice as big as the next largest) firearms-related site on the 'net--don't fix it if it ain't broke.  It ain't broke.  

1GUNRUNNER agrees with me so I must be right.

I wouldn't say that in polite company.  

Correct, because two half-wits do not equal a whole wit.

TRG

That right there is funny.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Outstanding suggestion.

This is supposed to be a firearms discussion board, not a place for wacky political, religious, and tin foil hat discussions.

I’ve noticed more and more the GD Forums horseshit is spilling over into the Tech forums. Many seem to be looking for nothing but a slightly higher post count so they can be “Cooler” in the GD.

It’s moronic to say the least and does ARFCOM no favors.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The technical forums are STILL here.They have not been displaced,replaced or delegated to play second fiddle.

GD is for those who want to get away from guntalk for a while,those who want to discuss the latest news...before they are in the newscasts,and so on and so forth

IOW,we are a three ring circus,so that you can watch -and participate-whatever act suits you.

Yes,and don't question the Pit either

You know, for the first time, I actually kinda am, but I think the whole membership knows it's your thing.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The GD is the heart and soul of the site.

With all due respect that statement is nuts.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably true though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably lose some of the paying members if this was no longer a social forum for bs'ing about everything under the sun. I'd stick around though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So many paying members would have nothing to do if GD went away.

(myself included!!)

Hear, hear.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Then the team room would become the GD and the GD would only be for paying members...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably true though.

Not only NO, but hell NO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
guess where the trolls will go if the GD is taken away....

I'll give you a subtle hint -

The Technical Forums!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding suggestion.

This is supposed to be a firearms discussion board, not a place for wacky political, religious, and tin foil hat discussions.

I’ve noticed more and more the GD Forums horseshit is spilling over into the Tech forums.
Many seem to be looking for nothing but a slightly higher post count so they can be “Cooler” in the GD.

It’s moronic to say the least and does ARFCOM no favors.

Funny,the same argument is made about the Pit attitude spilling into GD

Don't forget:

-Garbage cans make people produce more garbage and live in dirtier houses

-Trailer parks cause more tornadoes to touch down.

-Guns make good people turn into criminals.

LMFAO!

GD is a garbage can or trailer park!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]
What do those numbers really represent though? Potential buyers for the industry partners/dealers... or a bunch of tards that have nothing better to do than talk about everything BUT guns on a GUN forum?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#25]
GD is for losers.  It's pathetic how many people will post there and nowhere else.  I sometimes wonder if any of the GD posters ever get to the range, or even own guns for that matter.

But, it is the filter.  I'd much rather the losers hang out there than in the technical forums.  I only wish there was a way to block GD from the "active topics" list that comes up.  I hate having to scroll through 10 pages of drivel to find one or two nuggets from the tech side.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#27]
How about just disabling post counts in the GD? That would take care of people like nepolian(sp)-tannerite or whatever his name is....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I would enjoy the challenge of a shooting competition with those individuals though--rifle, shotgun, pistol, their choice.  Sometimes I wish dueling were still legal.  

What does one have to do with the other?  What is this pathetic facination people have with seeing their opinions on all manner of ridiculous topics in "print" on the internet?

GD is no better than the bloggers, and in many ways it's 10x worse.

I couldn't possibly care less about the drivel that populates GD, but I sure would like to be able to find the useful information in the tech forums, not to mention the recent posts in the EE, without having to read through 30 threads on people's wives leaving them or what color shit they took this morning.

To repeat myself, a customizable "active topics" would be extremely useful and a very desirable feature for those of us that aren't so consumed with seeing our "name" in lights.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I didn't say it should be abolished, although I don't think it's a bad idea.

What I said was that it would be nice to be able to find the things on the site that are actually useful without having to wade through all the drivel.  If "active topics" were customizable you could determine what the drivel is and what the useful information is on a per-user basis.  I'd weed out everything AK related, everything in the general section, and choose to prioritize the AR-15 section, the EE, and the Hometown.

I fully understand that I don't have to click on these things if I don't want to, but if they weren't even there to look at it sure would make this site that much easier to utilize.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If "active topics" were customizable ...

Not a bad idea, if it could be done.  But the site is fine the way it is, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Another side affect of the GD populace, extremely thin skin and easily offended by words on a screen.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Another side affect of the GD populace, extremely thin skin and easily offended by words on a screen.

I resent that.  Why are you trying to be such a jerk?  What did I do to you?
j/k
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
How about just disabling post counts in the GD? That would take care of people like nepolian(sp)-tannerite or whatever his name is....

BRILLIANT!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#40]
So I take it this "suggestion" will never make it to "production"?

Ok... no sense in dragging this out any further is there? Pretty obvious it's not an idea that would ever be considered by the top brass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top