[#3]
Anybody let @Austrian know?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sent
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Info sent a day and a half ago.

How can I tell if I go admitted to the secret club?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

We reviewed your application, and I'm sorry to inform you that we blackballed you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

go see if you can see/enter the secret forum?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Email a link to your state attorney directory showing you're admitted to practice and some proof it's you, state bar ID or something. I'll start adding people to the forum.

aimlessee at yahoo

I'll delete it afterwards
View Quote

Sent!  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Email a link to your state attorney directory showing you're admitted to practice and some proof it's you, state bar ID or something. I'll start adding people to the forum.

aimlessee at yahoo

I'll delete it afterwards
View Quote

EDIT: Scrivener's Error.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

go see if you can see/enter the secret forum?
View Quote
@Aimless

How would I know where the entrance is if it is a secret?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd join if invited.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd join if invited.
View Quote

Please join... Send Aimless your info...  FYI I don't think its live yet....
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd join if invited.

it's live.  Top of HTF.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any room for Paralegals on the site?

View Quote

They're setting up a Para Site for them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wingtips.  

Our badge should be cordovan wingtips.
View Quote

With flip-out toe knives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

it's live.  Top of HTF.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I see this-  I assume that means that I was not admitted?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116105/99870F9A-4966-4A0D-A1F9-02F9329FAF77_png-1585576.JPG
View Quote

You are not seeing the legal forum....
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are not seeing the legal forum....
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116105/99870F9A-4966-4A0D-A1F9-02F9329FAF77_png-1585576.JPG
View Quote
Your character and fitness evaluation is pending. Do not inquire unless you want a hearing. Hearings have been suspended due to COVID.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your character and fitness evaluation is pending. Do not inquire unless you want a hearing. Hearings have been suspended due to COVID.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't exhale?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When one of those people buys a box of toothpicks, do he sort them by length, circumference, or weight? Ascending or descending?
View Quote

You just don't get it.  Sort by sharpness of the toothpick point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
anyone who is not in who did not get a response can you email me again? One guy I have not figured out what his arfcom account is but will email him tomorrow
View Quote

Re-sent via site email
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Email sent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I would like that.

Edit - Email sent to aimless
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

can you email me something showing you're admitted a bar card or link to a state bar directory?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-sent via site email

can you email me something showing you're admitted a bar card or link to a state bar directory?

Re-sent original message at 8:53 PM EST.

Thanks Counselor!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wait, you guys have special lawyer ID cards? Does that get you some super secret lawyer label discount with GLOCK? I demand equality damn it!

Cool, didn't know the bar issued ID cards.  

View Quote

My bar card lets me bring a phone through security at Federal Court.

Also, my bar card and a dollar gets me any 1 item on the 99 cent menu at Wendy's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Federal Court wouldn't let me bring in shit. Badge or no badge. I'm surprised the Court Security Deputy US Marshals allowed me to wear pants.
View Quote

With my phone hearing through Court Solutions, I can now do federal hearings without wearing pants.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wait, you guys have special lawyer ID cards? Does that get you some super secret lawyer label discount with GLOCK? I demand equality damn it!

Hope your subforum is going well guys. Glad Arfcom was able to make one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope your subforum is going well guys. Glad Arfcom was able to make one.

I get 10% off select items at Staples.  It's never the items I select.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think they stopped allowing anyone to bring in phones. There was a rumor that some attorney recorded a court proceeding and put it on some social media site, but I'm not sure of that. The Feds are idiots about phones. "No phones with cameras!" Where can you get a phone without a camera? who can go all day without being able to call the office or check emails, particuarly if you aren't in trial but just doing hearings or meetings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bar card lets me bring a phone through security at Federal Court.

Also, my bar card and a dollar gets me any 1 item on the 99 cent menu at Wendy's.

I think they stopped allowing anyone to bring in phones. There was a rumor that some attorney recorded a court proceeding and put it on some social media site, but I'm not sure of that. The Feds are idiots about phones. "No phones with cameras!" Where can you get a phone without a camera? who can go all day without being able to call the office or check emails, particuarly if you aren't in trial but just doing hearings or meetings?

last time I was in Fed court 10 years ago, it was no electronics whatsoever.

I was actually shocked Virginia courts began to let attorneys bring in smartphones and tablets due to the replace of paper calenders with electronic ones.  Virginia courts are usually quite proud of their motto: "400 years of history, unimpeded by progress."
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Phones (even phones with cameras) are currently allowed in Federal Courts in the Southern District of Florida and have been for at least several years if you fall under one of the exceptions such as an attorney admitted to the Southern District of Florida or a Juror.  

Here is a link to the most recent Administrative Order allowing phones.  Phones and electronics have been allowed for attorneys since at least 2009.

I haven't been to the Middle District of Florida for a while but last time I was there, phones were allowed in the building but then had to be stored in lockers down by security.

When I go to court is is very common to use phones for texting, email and checking calendars.  Many times when I'm up at the podium and another hearing is being set and the judge asks the court deputy to give a date, both attorneys check their calendars on their phones for conflicts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I was once hired to negotiate the breakup of a boyfriend and girlfriend in their 40s, including the return of her copy of Kama Sutra and her various S&M sextoys.  True story.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think Federal Court started allowing attorneys who have state bar cards to bring their phones, then supposedly some attorney in Albany (??) district court recorded some proceeding and they banned phones for awhile, this happened in the past few years. They may have given up on that. I don't know how you schedule court dates without a phone, even if you still keep a paper calendar like geezer like me do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phones (even phones with cameras) are currently allowed in Federal Courts in the Southern District of Florida and have been for at least several years if you fall under one of the exceptions such as an attorney admitted to the Southern District of Florida or a Juror.  

Here is a link to the most recent Administrative Order allowing phones.  Phones and electronics have been allowed for attorneys since at least 2009.

I haven't been to the Middle District of Florida for a while but last time I was there, phones were allowed in the building but then had to be stored in lockers down by security.

When I go to court is is very common to use phones for texting, email and checking calendars.  Many times when I'm up at the podium and another hearing is being set and the judge asks the court deputy to give a date, both attorneys check their calendars on their phones for conflicts.
I think Federal Court started allowing attorneys who have state bar cards to bring their phones, then supposedly some attorney in Albany (??) district court recorded some proceeding and they banned phones for awhile, this happened in the past few years. They may have given up on that. I don't know how you schedule court dates without a phone, even if you still keep a paper calendar like geezer like me do.

In every one I've been in, including the 4th Circuit, they take everyone else's phone, but if you have a hearing taking place and you're a lawyer, they let you keep it. Which was helpful when my opposing counsel failed to appear before the 4th Circ. and I said, your honors, I have her cell phone number, would it be okay to take a brief recess so I can try to call her? She owes me for that day..... I've also taken selfies in federal courtrooms before/after trials, just because I'm a rule breaker ......
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Compared to most attorneys I'm super tech savy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand why you can't program a calendar event in your phone.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Npc6BaME2Ms/maxresdefault.jpg

Compared to most attorneys I'm super tech savy

most older attorneys are so NON-tech-savvy that they remind of the time Homer Simpson picked up the landline phone, dialed 0, and demanded the operator give him the number to 911.

I still hear stories today about older attorneys who absolutely refuse to enter their time in their billing software as they go, they insist on handwriting it onto printed timesheets to hand to their secretary to type in at 5pm on Friday because "that's my secretary's job."  I saw it 15 years ago, but I hear it still continues.  

I always entered my time as I go, using software stopwatches so I accurately capture ALL of my time.  Studies have shown that if attorneys enter their time using the " it's Friday, I gotta record my time, so how long did I spend on that motion last Monday...." method, then they tend to under-record their time -- and then they wonder how they spent 60 hours at the office and only billed 35.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top