Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2017 2:19:40 PM EDT
I realize this might end up being a bit of a chore to implement, but it would be really cool to have a method to allow us to save threads as a pdf or word doc rather than just having to either save the URL or Subscribe to a thread.

This would allow someone to save the entire contents of a thread as a PDF (For example) and save it locally. This would be really useful for helpful and informative threads with pictures and such, as by saving it locally if the image host goes down or the images are deleted you can still have a copy of the thread to use. 
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well currently you can send the link via email (using the share button) to yourself and save it on your computer from there. Or you can open the sent thread and save that in its entirety as well.............

goddam...I just answered a sort of tech thread...........

better go buy a lottery ticket!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well currently you can send the link via email (using the share button) to yourself and save it on your computer from there. Or you can open the sent thread and save that in its entirety as well.............

goddam...I just answered a sort of tech thread...........

better go buy a lottery ticket!!
View Quote
Sooo....I'm not able to get your method to work at all. Using the "Share" button simply sends the URL link. Effectively you just get a hyperlink. Worse, if the thread is multiple pages you still only get visibility to the first page, you have to use the Nav buttons to go to the next page. 

Maybe I'm missing something here but your method doesnt archive pictures to keep those or allow an easy method to save an entire thread offline.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sooo....I'm not able to get your method to work at all. Using the "Share" button simply sends the URL link. Effectively you just get a hyperlink. Worse, if the thread is multiple pages you still only get visibility to the first page, you have to use the Nav buttons to go to the next page. 

Maybe I'm missing something here but your method doesnt archive pictures to keep those or allow an easy method to save an entire thread offline.
View Quote
Sorry about the second part of that. I thought it would work but I too am unable to open the thread in a folder like I thought I could. I have always either just saved the thread in my email folder or subscribed to it. Never really had anything I needed to save completely offline.

What you are asking for would be cool to have though.

Paging Goatboy..........................
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry about the second part of that. I thought it would work but I too am unable to open the thread in a folder like I thought I could. I have always either just saved the thread in my email folder or subscribed to it. Never really had anything I needed to save completely offline.

What you are asking for would be cool to have though.

Paging Goatboy..........................
View Quote
I was browsing the Outdoors forum and stumbled on a thread about concrete domes. It was very interesting, and dates back from 2009. The first page has posts in which the images hve long since disappeared. So I was thinking if we had a way to click "Save as" and save a thread locally someone might have a copy I could have asked for.

Obviously given thats not an option the pictures are most likely lost to time, but maybe someday..... 

Thread in question
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree it would be a good option to have. Hve you tried doing a search via Bing, duckduckgo etc to see if you can find the pics elsewhere on the web?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree it would be a good option to have. Hve you tried doing a search via Bing, duckduckgo etc to see if you can find the pics elsewhere on the web?
View Quote
Nah, I confess I'm not *that* curious on it. It was an interesting read but not something I would seriously pursue (At least at this point in my life)! But it did make me think that it would be nice to be able to save the full thread locally as some sort of file. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top