Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2017 5:12:54 PM EDT
The media server for uploading pictures has some serious quality issues.  Here's an example:

Uploaded to the media server.  This is a 2.3 MB 2500x1406 pixel, 300dpi image.
Attachment Attached File

And here's the same picture, uploaded to Flickr, then posted here with the resize option to 1600x900 pixels.  Even with the resize Flickr does a MUCH better job of retaining image quality.

CAROC003 N420AT Outbound In The Weeds by FredMan, on Flickr

Seems this is a function of the server doing some kind of horrendous compression or something that simply kills image quality.  Most of the fine detail is gone.

Can this be fixed?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I really don't see the difference but I am not a content creator and am only looking at them on a 1080p monitor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really don't see the difference but I am not a content creator and am only looking at them on a 1080p monitor.
View Quote
The top one is clearly lacking in fine detail as compared to the bottom one. It just screams at me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on my Galaxy 7s and l can see the difference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess looking closer I can see a difference but not enough to make me really care as a casual browser.

Let me do a test on a 2.7mb file once.

Hosted on Dropbox:

Hosted on Arfcom using the Insert Image option while posting:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Image compression is used to keep files from being overwhelming to both users on downloads as well as taking up server space. The key to keep in mind is that there will always be a median where quality and size meet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do think media storage (gold+) file sizes are allowed to be larger, versus the simple attaching of files. I can check if needed.
View Quote
It's not the file size, it's the compression algorithm.  My Flickr 3MB image looks juts fine.  The one loaded via the ARF server has all kinds of compression artifacts and image degradation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Samsung S7 and any picture I take with my camera I cannot directly upload from my phone.

Image quality sucks on here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The server is resizing your 2.3Mb file down to 77Kb in file size and it's also scaling it down to 1200 px wide. Like the guy said, they are making things smaller to save on bandwidth. They can change the settings to preserve the quality more but the file sizes will be bigger.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top