Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
bathroom medicine cabinet my wife had me make.
She wanted something that looked "old".

White Oak that I sawed up from our woods.

I had some really nice boards with crotch grain and ray sawn flecking, but she thought it looked to modern.
So I had to rework some lumber that was more "ordinary" looking as she put it.

Am working on a work bench now out of Sugar maple for the top and Shagbark Hickory for the legs.
All sawn from woods again.

She added a note inside the cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Very Nice, Once I get a fly Rod it almost never goes back in the case.
Makes me rethink that habit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Finished this yesterday after on and off work for about 2 years. The clock mechanism/escapement works but it's also got a electric coil that is supposed to drive it that I can't figure out. I'll work on it some more later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By villageidiot:
Finished this yesterday after on and off work for about 2 years. The clock mechanism/escapement works but it's also got a electric coil that is supposed to drive it that I can't figure out. I'll work on it some more later.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/466631/IMG_20220423_180429-1_jpg-2359999.JPG
View Quote
Very freaking cool. The electronics are the only part I could do lol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Love the modeling station, made this metal and powdercoat,  the made the wifey a few Squirrel feeding stations....Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Work in progress TV stand.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:
bathroom medicine cabinet my wife had me make.
She wanted something that looked "old".

White Oak that I sawed up from our woods.

I had some really nice boards with crotch grain and ray sawn flecking, but she thought it looked to modern.
So I had to rework some lumber that was more "ordinary" looking as she put it.

Am working on a work bench now out of Sugar maple for the top and Shagbark Hickory for the legs.
All sawn from woods again.

https://i.postimg.cc/28K8Fdj7/P4130022.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/1R0vqMHb/P4130023.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/pXbt20d7/P4130024.jpg
She added a note inside the cabinet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread needs a “like” button!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not finished/finished, but far enough along to take this project off the "top priority list"

Oct
Attachment Attached File

Now
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#10]
It was the room that used to be my house before a tornado destroyed it. New house is next door, this is the garage with upstairs guest room now.
Before tornado -
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I posted in GD but here is a dupe...

Old project I did - 2014 or so
Bought a big stack of soft maple and 3/4" maple plywood and went to town. Selling the house so I grabbed some pics

Made the cabinets, rewired the kitchen, Pergo floor, countertops and bathroom plumbing. Total cost in 2014 was $5k

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Letter box used as a 25 year service gift from work to my coworker. Made from an oak cut down on campus

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Coffee station in admin conference room made to match (as close as I could) the conference table

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
Coffee station in admin conference room made to match (as close as I could) the conference table

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285969/IMG_1473_JPG-2372343.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285969/IMG_1474_JPG-2372344.JPG
View Quote
@ToledoXJ

What did you do for the hinge?  Got a spot in my house that something like this would work great in.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
@ToledoXJ

What did you do for the hinge?  Got a spot in my house that something like this would work great in.
View Quote

@K1rodeoboater

I used a chunk of piano hinge.
If I did it over I'd put a pin all the way through the corner of the drawer
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I built some triangle end tables and thought about the drawer but decided it was too much work and wasn't sure I could get it right given the small size. In my case it's probably just another drawer to fill up with junk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By villageidiot:
I built some triangle end tables and thought about the drawer but decided it was too much work and wasn't sure I could get it right given the small size. In my case it's probably just another drawer to fill up with junk.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/466631/P_20161115_162818_jpg-2373373.JPG
View Quote
Curly maple?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally finished converting the crib I built for my first daughter:

...into a full-size bed, which was always the plan, for my youngest daughter.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
Curly maple?
View Quote

Yes, with walnut legs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FS7:
I finally finished converting the crib I built for my first daughter:

https://flint7.com/Furniture/crib.jpg

...into a full-size bed, which was always the plan, for my youngest daughter.

https://i.ibb.co/t2t5RpT/20220504-191759.jpg
View Quote
very nice. next to shaker style you can't go wrong with mission.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Super productive day today. Turned a couple of bottle openers, five bottle stoppers, and 3 pens.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
pics of pens please.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
pics of pens please.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

One from last week. Stabilized buckeye burl on a solid stainless twist kit from McKenzie Penworks
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I made some kazoos for the kids.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dan_Conway:

May I ask where you get your pen parts?

Thank you.
View Quote

I get most of my kits from Exotic Blanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Monitor stand made of cherry.  It was simple so I spiced it up with some dovetails.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I like it! hand or machine cut dovetails?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#33]
Hand cut on a machine!  I actually made a thread about the dovetails a few days ago.

Wanted to try my hand at dovetails

I made four jigs, one for each angle, to cut them on the bandsaw and chiseled the waste out by hand.  This gives me flexibility on laying out the dovetails like in this project I started with a 2" tail in the middle and made each tail 3/4 the width going outwards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:13:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#34]
So....every year a local farm does a pallet painting/decorating contest to benefit a local fund to help abused local women , well this is the second annual one :smile:
Last year they had 35 entries

Last year

So rules say to paint/decorate a pallet they provide, "add ons allowed"....so. lets grab a couple pallets and....
By the way this is to be turned in by today!! Started yesterday , friday.....its been going on a month so far.
Whatever, so had an idea and fired up the langmuir plasma table, grinder , vinegar bath and oven....by 21:00 last night i had a pile of this and 2 drying pallet parts....yup. they didnt say shit about cutting them up, "be creative and WOW the judges" ...we shall see....how this goes...lol
!
Attachment Attached File

Laid out....except top wave it was on porch drying, all of this powder coated.
Attachment Attached File

New back of pallet painted
Attachment Attached File

Front of "Ship Wrecked" painted / distressed and drying
Attachment Attached File

Assembled, it is called "Ship Wrecked"
Attachment Attached File

We will be dropping it off about 13:00 .... they said be creative

Judging is next Sunday....
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#35]
I'm making a kitchen step stool for my daughter based on The Wood Whisperer's design.  It's made of pine and my wife is going to paint it harvest yellow.  I went with pine because I have a bunch I wanted to use up and it will be very light weight.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Inspired by a random IG post, I decided to put together a lounge/casual chair. Wrapping up the design and thinking through the next course of action. I'll cut the parts on CNC in plywood to test the fit, strength, and ergos. If everything works out I'll use those templates to cut parts in hardwood and build from there.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#37]
There were alot of pretty pallets, I got 2nd place, some cash and we got a voucher to come pick and cut  Christmas 🎄 tree later

All in all great time, and already planning next year's!

The winning pallet
Attachment Attached File

At 1st I was like WOW they have a bigger laser than me, then noticed/realized it was done with wood burning irons.....we both did a great job, different mediums....hers was rich in local history also

Some folks got upset by taking the whole paint a pallet literally,  so we will have a custom class next year
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Nothing as fancy as some of the projects here, but I built most of this for a fund raiser last winter. Looking forward to more time in the shop this fall.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
Inspired by a random IG post, I decided to put together a lounge/casual chair. Wrapping up the design and thinking through the next course of action. I'll cut the parts on CNC in plywood to test the fit, strength, and ergos. If everything works out I'll use those templates to cut parts in hardwood and build from there.

https://i.imgur.com/Orvndvi.png
View Quote
Prototype came together nicely. The legs are a bit rickety being made from plywood, I think it'd be stiff as a board made from hardwood. Need to decide if I like it enough to continue the project.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
Prototype came together nicely. The legs are a bit rickety being made from plywood, I think it'd be stiff as a board made from hardwood. Need to decide if I like it enough to continue the project.

https://i.imgur.com/4yriZCE.png
View Quote
Does it fold?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RaptorFuel:
Does it fold?
View Quote
No, but it does seem like a good candidate to become a folder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

A couple of wine glass holders out of black walnut I made this past weekend.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By zombievt:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/293208438_1078133289759059_5890586595758-2461341.JPG

A couple of wine glass holders out of black walnut I made this past weekend.
View Quote
David is proud of you!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
David is proud of you!
View Quote

I need you to explain that one to me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By zombievt:

I need you to explain that one to me.
View Quote

How to Make and Sell These Wine Displays For Profit!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

When your bored at work and it's time to school the apprentice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:07:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#47]
I should post pics of my tracksaw bench/cart that's in progress.  It's funny how rusty my brain got after a ~4 year break from woodworking.  Screwed up on my initial measurements/plan, screwed up when I made my first cuts, screwed up again when I drilled the pocket holes on the wrong sides.  It's a good thing it's shop furniture and that it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.  Suffice it to say though, I'm a huge fan of it.  It is based off of the Shopnation Kreg ACS bench .  

I started working on the cart for my tablesaw and already screwed that one up too by mis-reading the dang sketch and dimensions. Cut something at 17.5" wide when it should have been 22" wide.  Since I don't have enough material on hand to re-cut it I'm going to do the ghetto fabulous thing of edge glue and pocket hole it back together to get a piece wide enough.  I'm not about to go through the ass pain of getting a single sheet of plywood just to finish this proper like when I have projects I need to get cracking on before my trigger finger starts acting up again and I have to have surgery on it and be down and out for a few weeks.  Again it's shop furniture so I don't super care how it looks, and I don't really want to be using a DeWalt jobsite saw as my primary saw long term.  Will likely shelve or get rid of it in 3-5 years.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Wife wanted a gate at the stairs to keep the dog from "visiting" our kids'  Guinea pigs.   First she wanted just a baby gate but they look horrible.  So she turned to a husbands worse nightmare. Pinterest.   Well she now just had to have a "farmhouse gate".  So of course I said he'll no,  then I went and built it  

3x3 Poplar post anchored into wall studs. 1x4 Poplar frame on both sides with a nickel gap panel sandwiched in the middle. 1x4 Poplar for a cap. White lacquer finish.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gibsonn:
Wife wanted a gate at the stairs to keep the dog from "visiting" our kids'  Guinea pigs.   First she wanted just a baby gate but they look horrible.  So she turned to a husbands worse nightmare. Pinterest.   Well she now just had to have a "farmhouse gate".  So of course I said he'll no,  then I went and built it  

3x3 Poplar post anchored into wall studs. 1x4 Poplar frame on both sides with a nickel gap panel sandwiched in the middle. 1x4 Poplar for a cap. White lacquer finish.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67763/C115B9EA-0DC6-4321-8602-06A8EA6DB34A_jpe-2469894.JPG
 https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67763/9779FF42-AD3F-46EC-B7DD-78E21B4EB7FB_jpe-2469895.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67763/349BBF15-F61F-45FB-AC8D-6F1C5E6D5CE0_jpe-2469896.JPG
View Quote
looks nice!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Y’all make me look like such a hack.

Here’s a gun rack I’m working on. White oak main build and shelf, pine ledgers, sch40 a53 and 150# fittings. Minwax red mahogany stain, helmsman poly. Need some felt for the barrel notches and main shelf to prevent butts sliding (giggity). The wife is going to paint “Until there is no Enemy, but Peace!” in a golden yellow (like an ammo can) with an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in the backer. It will hang off the wall using piping, which will also support the shelf underneath. Better pics of pipes to come.

Many lessons learned in basic joinery. Have plenty of projects lined up for the coming years. I want to build our own real furniture (dressers, dining table, etc).

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top