Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Why don't you like pocket hole jigs?

I'm new and trying to learn, so please give the "For dummies" version.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpankMonkey:

What's, in your opinion, the most overrated tool that sucks woodworkers in like fishermen to lures?

Pocket hole jigs.

Basically they are for dummies :)

Or at least they are certainly not used in fine woodworking.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#2]
Kreg:

Love or hate their pocket screw setups for joinery?

ETA: Heh. should have cruised the thread before I asked!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I use pocket holes for joinery that is not seen.

When I get a new table saw I will finally be able to start m and t joinery.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Pocket hole jigs are good for simple projects or production environments. Building fine furniture it would not be acceptable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Pocket hole jigs are good for simple projects or production environments. Building fine furniture it would not be acceptable.
View Quote

Why?

Very simple question. Too fast? Too easy? There's no structural reason why pocket hole joinery would be insufficient on concealed joints.

"Fine furniture" is a nonsense term, and I'm a woodworker who doesn't use pocket hole joinery often.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FS7:

Why?

Very simple question. Too fast? Too easy? There's no structural reason why pocket hole joinery would be insufficient on concealed joints.

"Fine furniture" is a nonsense term, and I'm a woodworker who doesn't use pocket hole joinery often.
View Quote

We have different opinions on fine furniture. I wont use pocket holes on my furniture. You do you, I'll do me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]

We have different opinions on fine furniture. I wont use pocket holes on my furniture. You do you, I'll do me.
View Quote

If your only reason is your own sensibilities, that's fine, but it's also unfair to suggest that "fine furniture" does not use pocket holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Masterworks-John-Thomas-Seymour/dp/0883891263

You will find plenty of pocket holes appearing in that book - a book about the works of two of the finest Federal period craftsmen to have lived. In fact, many antique furniture uses pocket holes rather extensively. It's not like the technology was invented by Kreg. They made it convenient and let a lot of new people get into woodworking.

They are quick, clean, and strong, and certainly appropriate for concealed joints. The strength of the joint has been debated, but that's true with anybody's preferred method (dowels, M&T, loose tenons) as they argue over which one you can land a helicopter on.

Pocket holes are not for exposed joints, and the plugs don't really help with that. The absolutely perfect joints shown in Kreg literature look OK, but I have only ever plugged a hole if a joint could be felt (like the back of a face frame) but not seen. I have yet to see or hear any good reason why pocket holes are not suitable for concealed joints other than personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I can see OP's point on pocket holes.  Makes sense to me. Woodworking for some is an art, not just a job that needs to get done.  And that art is usually based on the way woodworking was done hundreds of years ago. You know what the difference between a carpenter and a ship builder was many years ago?  Not much.  One was making bigger pieces of wood lock together using joinery methods and the other was making smaller pieces of wood lock together.
When I visited Key West one of the points brought up was how has the houses down there lasted as long as they have with all the hurricanes that have hit that area. Some of the homes are hundreds of years old.  Answer was they were build by ship builders that used locking joinery with wood pins like they did on ships.

I see pocket holes kind of like this:

Film vs. digital photography
hand shaped body panels vs. half gallon of body filler over so-so fitting panels
painting on canvas/paper vs. paint by number

This is why so many wood workers seek out old world tools and restore them and put them back to work again.  This is why they pass down the techniques used before the table saw and router was invented.

FWIW, I use the shit out of some pocket holes!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]

For things like kitchen cabinet case joinery that will never be seen, they seemed to me to be a strong, quicker option (keep in mind that I'm new and don't have a lot of joinery experience, and fine joinery may never be a big part of it, but I'm watching and learning and trying things.)

View Quote

I built my current round of cabinet carcasses with pocket holes. The most annoying problem was that the screws pull with a shear and then that can pull the alignment off, especially at the corners. I build some jigs and used clamps to minimize this, but it's still a pain in the ass and visible on frameless cabinets.

Now that I have a Domino, I may use those to hold alignment and pocket screws to clamp the glue joint. I'm going to make some test pieces and see how it goes. The next kitchen will also be frameless and I want perfect corners, not slipped by a 32nd or 16th.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

I built my current round of cabinet carcasses with pocket holes. The most annoying problem was that the screws pull with a shear and then that can pull the alignment off, especially at the corners. I build some jigs and used clamps to minimize this, but it's still a pain in the ass and visible on frameless cabinets.

Now that I have a Domino, I may use those to hold alignment and pocket screws to clamp the glue joint. I'm going to make some test pieces and see how it goes. The next kitchen will also be frameless and I want perfect corners, not slipped by a 32nd or 16th.

View Quote

Somewhere I saw a tip on how to prevent this "pocket screw pull".  They used a brad gun and shot a brad into the surface, but somehow held it up so it didn't penetrate all the way. I think they used cardboard?   They then snipped the head off with dykes and used the brad sticking up to grip the wood like a spike so it didn't slide as the pocket screw was tightened down.
I'll see if I can find that again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FS7:

Why?

View Quote
fine furniture uses traditional joinery, mortise and tenon, dovetail / blind dovetail, dado and rabbit etc. pocket hole is anything but fine. have a obese person sit on a table or chair made with traditional joinery and wiggle around it's no big deal. then have the same obese person sit on a table or chair made with pocket screws and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
fine furniture uses traditional joinery, mortise and tenon, dovetail / blind dovetail, dado and rabbit etc. pocket hole is anything but fine. have a obese person sit on a table or chair made with traditional joinery and wiggle around it's no big deal. then have the same obese person sit on a table or chair made with pocket screws and see what happens.
View Quote

And there it is.  ARF picking on us fat people again……
But excellent point.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
How can I fix this gouge and scratches to the finish of my wood console shifter bezel?

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
How can I fix this gouge and scratches to the finish of my wood console shifter bezel?

https://i.ibb.co/4R2rqZm/IMG-20220205-163954559.jpg
View Quote

Polish with 2000 grit auto polish and then 3000 grit polish. Touch up gouge with a dark walnut touch up pen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TY6QJTN?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:10:24 AM EDT
[#17]

ETA:  Wait.  Are you the OP or are you just being a poopyhead?  I know a lot of NOT dummies, who use pockethole joinery and I'd like to know why OP doesn't like it.

Ya, Ima keep asking til the OP talks.

For things like kitchen cabinet case joinery that will never be seen, they seemed to me to be a strong, quicker option (keep in mind that I'm new and don't have a lot of joinery experience, and fine joinery may never be a big part of it, but I'm watching and learning and trying things.)

For "fine woodworking" I assume you mean some of the lovely furniture and other pieces that folks have posted on this forum, among other things.

I think most cabinetmakers (at least the ones who put stuff in the houses I rehab) don't spend the time on dovetails that won't ever be seen, and though the good ones don't just shoot things together with staples (I've had some of that in one house...it was bad.  Had to get it redone) they also, for time and efficiency, do things that are strong and fast in their pre-assembly shop/process for the boxes themselves.  For kitchen cabinets in the average home, what's wrong with pockethole joinery?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madwis15:

Basically they are for dummies :)

Or at least they are certainly not used in fine woodworking.

ETA:  Wait.  Are you the OP or are you just being a poopyhead?  I know a lot of NOT dummies, who use pockethole joinery and I'd like to know why OP doesn't like it.

Ya, Ima keep asking til the OP talks.

For "fine woodworking" I assume you mean some of the lovely furniture and other pieces that folks have posted on this forum, among other things.

I think most cabinetmakers (at least the ones who put stuff in the houses I rehab) don't spend the time on dovetails that won't ever be seen, and though the good ones don't just shoot things together with staples (I've had some of that in one house...it was bad.  Had to get it redone) they also, for time and efficiency, do things that are strong and fast in their pre-assembly shop/process for the boxes themselves.  For kitchen cabinets in the average home, what's wrong with pockethole joinery?

I’m neither the OP, nor a poopyhead! I believe I have been vindicated in this thread!

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, favorite brand of parallel clamps do you use? And which brands do you avoid?

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By deLuna_tic:
OP, favorite brand of parallel clamps do you use? And which brands do you avoid?

View Quote

I use a brand no longer made. Modern favorite would be Jorgensen great quality and price second would be Jett or Bessy.

I now avoid Irwin. The quality has really gone down hill.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]

I use a brand no longer made. Modern favorite would be Jorgensen great quality and price second would be Jett or Bessy.

I now avoid Irwin. The quality has really gone down hill.
View Quote

Irwin's trigger clamps are very useful for face lamination and other smaller jobs where you can easily use two dozen of them. They are very handy. I have never used their parallel clamps, but they are well-regarded. I imagine they're identical to other brands.

For what it's worth I have not had much of a problem with cheap Powertec parallel clamps. I think the primary reason I reach for them is they are less than half the weight of the Jorgensen clamps. I mean the Jorgensens are a workhorse and that's reflected in the weight.

The only bad clamps of any type I've used are the smaller Bessey bar clamps. I assume they're light duty because the bar bends very easily. They still work, but it's surprising to see the bar turn into a bow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]

PINS.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Pins or tails first?

PINS.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:46:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#22]
I want to start making coffee table with the milled live edge slab wood I have from my property.  I'm not a woodworker, strictly an amateur.  They will look like the pics below (examples).

Question:  Where's the best place to buy the legs?

2nd question:  Best finish?

Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top