Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the new one - Transition Scout in olive green. It usually appears more brown than green, like a flat dark earth, but a few times I have looked at it and it has the green tint depending on the lighting (see the second pic from my buddie's phone).

First full suspension, haven't had a chance to really test it out yet since the trails are a muddy mess but went yesterday and rode a greenway equivalent, popped off some curbs, then hit a wood kicker I built for a while. I'm hoping the ground will either freeze or dry out enough this week to go hit the new dirt jump line I have been helping build a few miles down the road.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CincoBoy:
From the 26” thread:
https://i.ibb.co/p44RKhb/FE5-E2-CBE-53-A3-476-A-AFD5-1-EB509-F1-A1-ED.jpg

2005 Giant AC, 3x8. Running it damn near stock; only upgrade was from Hayes to SLX brakes.

At 36lbs, it weighs more than my steel tandem bike

Edit: original tires, too... I don’t think I ride it enough
View Quote

I bought a new XC steed a month ago. Finally got good enough weather today!

2021 Trek Procaliber 9.5. As far as mods go, I added a dropper, a power meter, and swapped in the SLX brakes from my old bike.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
2017 Giant XTC Carbon.
Upgraded to Magoura brakes. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Scott spark RC
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
After much research and reading threads like this, I decided to go for an Ibis Ripmo V2...

Aaaaaaand they’re back ordered until Oct 21
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
@Willz

Depending on your location, check with this guy in the Louisville, KY area. He is associated with the shop I bought my Transition from, and I spoke with him about Ibis offerings (Mojo 4 and Ripmo) - he had shipments coming in and was going to be able to hook me up with a Mojo 4 within about 6-8 weeks if I had gone that route, whereas every other store seemed to be 6 months. Not sure if he would ship or not....

https://n1bikes.net/
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

2017 Transition Scout CF
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jonathon1289:
Here's the new one - Transition Scout in olive green. It usually appears more brown than green, like a flat dark earth, but a few times I have looked at it and it has the green tint depending on the lighting (see the second pic from my buddie's phone).

First full suspension, haven't had a chance to really test it out yet since the trails are a muddy mess but went yesterday and rode a greenway equivalent, popped off some curbs, then hit a wood kicker I built for a while. I'm hoping the ground will either freeze or dry out enough this week to go hit the new dirt jump line I have been helping build a few miles down the road.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379988/Scout_NBD_jpg-1774681.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/379988/Bikes_jpg-1774682.JPG
View Quote

Cool that your new ride probably matches the finish on some of your guns.

I also bought my 1st dual suspension (“full squish”) mtb this year.  Rode the heck out of my old GT Avalanche before turning to the dark side.  (I still occasionally ride &  love the old hard tail).

First time on dual suspension, it felt like a rolling pogo stick!  Very strange.   Now it is second nature.  

Round here, I try to hit parks like Fountainhead, meadowood,  Schaefer Farm, etc; hope to try downhill at Bryce and Massanutten this spring.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
@Willz

Depending on your location, check with this guy in the Louisville, KY area. He is associated with the shop I bought my Transition from, and I spoke with him about Ibis offerings (Mojo 4 and Ripmo) - he had shipments coming in and was going to be able to hook me up with a Mojo 4 within about 6-8 weeks if I had gone that route, whereas every other store seemed to be 6 months. Not sure if he would ship or not....

https://n1bikes.net/
View Quote

@jonathon1289

I spoke to N1 bikes and asked about lead times on the Ibis bikes, specifically the Ripmo V2 he won't have any in until June.

I was asking about frame warranties, since Ibis has a 7yr on their frames and lifetime on bushings.

He did try to sell me on Rocky Mountain bikes. The Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon 50. They carry a 5yr but only one year on bushing etc.

I haven't found any info on GG frames yet as far as lifespan, warranty etc.

Found it

"Manufacturing defects typically reveal themselves within a year of ownership. Should a failure occur because of one of these we will act expediently to get the rider a replacement. Because of science, mountain bike frames and products do have a usable lifespan. But we know a broken frame never makes for a good day, so for this reason we will provide discounted replacements for the lifetime of the frame. The discount will depend on the age of the frame, replacement necessary, and circumstance. Frames painted or powder coated outside of GG's system will not be eligible for the Lifetime Frame Support."

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Jesus some of these bikes are awesome

I got a new poverty tier cannondale that ive been happy enough with.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My Santa Cruz Bronson C carbon fiber.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By snowcrab:

I got a new poverty tier cannondale that ive been happy enough with.

View Quote

LOL!  I still commute on my 2008-era Cannondale.  Works for me.  Stay the course!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My new Hightower CC

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
New Bike Day.... 2021 Commencal Meta HT AM Race got delivered. Upgrading from a 2016 Fuji Nevada 1.9.

Was able to move all the accessories over from the old bike. Forgot the new pedals for this at the old place (we're in the middle of moving).Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks] [#17]
Yay, I get to do this again!

New Ibis Mojo 4. Absolutely stoked to have it, cannot wait to hit a trail when the rain quits. SLX build and moved my Enve carbon wheels over (pictured with old tires, getting the new tires swapped in today). I have an oval chainring and some frame protection stuff to protect the likely wear spots on the way.

I'll get some more pics when I am able to hit the trail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Yay, I get to do this again!

New Ibis Mojo 4. Absolutely stoked to have it, cannot wait to hit a trail when the rain quits. SLX build and moved my Enve carbon wheels over (pictured with old tires, getting the new tires swapped in today). I have an oval chainring and some frame protection stuff to protect the likely wear spots on the way.

I'll get some more pics when I am able to hit the trail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379988/Mojo4_JPG-2119469.JPG
View Quote

NICE! Just picked up a 2022 Ripmo from Shaun two weeks ago! He has been getting some sweet new Ibis bikes in lately
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
New to mountain biking since I gave up dirt bikes.  

Here’s my new to me 2020 Pivot Shuttle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Finally put a Morpheus together, been dreaming of a Skyla for 10 years. Tracked down a V Slope L frame and went for it. More of a play bike, chase the kid around, suffer on ups and blast the downs. Our local loop is 1.5 miles up and 1 mile down, it's a long time standing and pedaling.

Put a 30t alloy chainring on, might go back to a 34 or so. 26" really messes with gear ratios.

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Scott spark. First real mountain bike.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#22]
2021 Santa Cruz Hightower

2021 Santa Cruz Chameleon

2022 Santa Cruz Blur
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks] [#23]
From Baker Creek at Fall Fest the other weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lagadelphia12] [#24]
https://imgur.com/gallery/IRGv7Lf

Fezzari Delano Peak Elite build.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
From Baker Creek at Fall Fest the other weekend.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379988/Mojo_jpg-2168198.JPG
View Quote

@jonathon1289 where did you find your Ibis ? I shopping for a Ripmo AF.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Willz:

View Quote

@Willz N+1 Bikes in Louisville, KY is where I got it. https://n1bikes.com/

I was told a 3-4 week wait, ended up being about 9 and still shipped without wheels as Ibis didn't have them available (I had my own carbon set to install anyways but want the OEM wheels for a spare). Ibis is still back logged in wheels apparently as my set hasn't shipped yet, but 29er could be a better situation.

I would also suggest calling every Ibis dealer within a few hour drive of you if haven't already. I actually found a couple of Mojo and Ripmo options at other dealers but they either weren't the desired build or correct size.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]

My everyday trail bike --  

Yeti SB-100 with combination XX1 and X01 drivetrain and Gripshift  ---  XTR brakes w/ 203 rotors ,  Enve wheels, Renthal cockpit .     I like Gripshift so much, i tolerate the rest of the SRAM crap,  but they really need to study an XTR group to find out how something should shift

The "headin' to Bentonville" or "headin to Colorado/ NM etc" bike  - basically anywhere i want a bigger travel bike but not a full on Big Bike     -   2015 SB-95 with GX group (also with Gripshift)  -  Zee brakes w/ 203 rotors

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]

I was told a 3-4 week wait, ended up being about 9 and still shipped without wheels as Ibis didn't have them available (I had my own carbon set to install anyways but want the OEM wheels for a spare). Ibis is still back logged in wheels apparently as my set hasn't shipped yet, but 29er could be a better situation.

I would also suggest calling every Ibis dealer within a few hour drive of you if haven't already. I actually found a couple of Mojo and Ripmo options at other dealers but they either weren't the desired build or correct size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By snowcrab:

View Quote

They are!  I'm surprised to see this level of machinery on a gun forum
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#31]
Ok I pulled the trigger on an Ibis Ripmo AF SLX from  N+1

They said they’re building it today and it will ship tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Wasn't planning on jumping on this so soon, but inventory is still low nearly everywhere.  I wanted to buy from a local shop and this was the last color.  Even checking around at backcountry and competitivecyclist, this model is out of stock all together.

When I talked to my local shop, they weren't getting any more allocations until September or October.  So, despite the fugly color, a Yeti Sb130 Turq followed me home today.  I'm not sure if I will be able to wait until it warms up to take it out.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Was able to get out for a ride today. Ibis Ripmo 2018

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 3:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#35]
So, I got an Ibis Ripmo AF Lg frame for myself.
I like it so well I bought the same bike in a small frame for my wife.

Aaand, its too much bike for her. She says it feels too big. ( go ahead joke it up) I looked at putting smaller rims on it, it has 29s, but I was told smaller rims won’t work.

She doesn’t feel comfortable or steady on it. I don’t want to sell it in hopes she’ll get used to it but I don’t want her getting hurt on it either.
She’s used to a less aggressive bike and flatter terrain than our current location which is rather hilly.
I may get her a multi gear road bike to get acquainted with the elevation changes here and hope she’ll move to the Ripmo once she gets her legs and some mild trails.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flgfish] [#36]
My three current rides.

2018 Scott Spark 730.  My main trail squeeze.

2021 Scott Scale 965. Bought this one on a whim and it’s crazy fast.  I am shocked sometimes at how fast it is compared to the Spark. I still ride the Spark more but this one gets the nod more and more. Still need to convert this one to tubeless.  I did recently add a dropper post.

2001 Trek 6500.  This one has been in the garage since new and it’s a favorite of mine.  I’ve been toying with upgrading the fork since my son is riding it a lot lately, but it’s still in good shape for being 21 years old, and I just serviced it. The rim brakes are shockingly good with modern pads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

Where in Texas is that?
View Quote

@pepperbelly

I just saw this 2 years later, but those pics have to be at City Park. I know those trails well.

Here’s a pic of my ride:

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Pair0dimes:

@pepperbelly

I just saw this 2 years later, but those pics have to be at City Park. I know those trails well.

Here’s a pic of my ride:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289640/D92A3672-E75A-46E2-8CB7-EAD3BA66CC15-1079034.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pair0dimes:
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

Where in Texas is that?

@pepperbelly

Here’s a pic of my ride:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289640/D92A3672-E75A-46E2-8CB7-EAD3BA66CC15-1079034.jpg

Which city?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#39]

Aaand, its too much bike for her. She says it feels too big. ( go ahead joke it up) I looked at putting smaller rims on it, it has 29s, but I was told smaller rims won’t work.

She doesn’t feel comfortable or steady on it. I don’t want to sell it in hopes she’ll get used to it but I don’t want her getting hurt on it either.
She’s used to a less aggressive bike and flatter terrain than our current location which is rather hilly.
I may get her a multi gear road bike to get acquainted with the elevation changes here and hope she’ll move to the Ripmo once she gets her legs and some mild trails.
View Quote

I went from a 26" to the Ripmo. The ride height is exactly the same as the Ironhorse I was on. For me, the ripmo feels much more in control over the rough stuff because the larger tires roll over obstacles much easier. It's just not as nimble as the 26".

Going uphill the front tire stays planted a lot better on the 29 where the 26 would come off the ground.

For your wife, you might get her comfortable on flat trails first. When the bumps come and the down hills speeds increase she'll be glad she's on a ripmo.

Is the bike adjusted correctly to her? Does she have another bike she likes? Can you change out handle bars and seat to match the ride height she's used to?

Have you checked out these video's? A low key approach to take it step by step and work up to more aggressive terrain.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4eegkSVzV56kTrSpvL6BKQ

@Willz
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 5:57:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#40]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

I went from a 26" to the Ripmo. The ride height is exactly the same as the Ironhorse I was on. For me, the ripmo feels much more in control over the rough stuff because the larger tires roll over obstacles much easier. It's just not as nimble as the 26".

Going uphill the front tire stays planted a lot better on the 29 where the 26 would come off the ground.

For your wife, you might get her comfortable on flat trails first. When the bumps come and the down hills speeds increase she'll be glad she's on a ripmo.

Is the bike adjusted correctly to her? Does she have another bike she likes? Can you change out handle bars and seat to match the ride height she's used to?

Have you checked out these video's? A low key approach to take it step by step and work up to more aggressive terrain.

@Willz
View All Quotes

@Willz

Thanks for that.
I called Ibis in Cali, was told the Ripmo will not take 27.5” rims.

I still have her Ripmo but got her an inexpensive Marin hard tail with 27.5 inch wheels. She feels much more confident on it. Still doesn’t feel safe off road.
She can ride this until she feels up to the Ripmo or I may try to trade it for a Mojo 5 which comes standard with 27.5” wheels.
Don’t know yet. It’s up to her. We did a local beginner level single track trail the other day and she called it quits after about 15 minutes.
She was bagging on herself saying “I suck” , I told her every time you get out on your bike you get better and will get more confident, so keep on trying.
I’m not pressuring her at all but for now it’s smooth terrain and sidewalks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:27:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#41]

Thanks for that.
I called Ibis in Cali, was told the Ripmo will not take 27.5" rims.

I still have her Ripmo but got her an inexpensive Marin hard tail with 27.5 inch wheels. She feels much more confident on it. Still doesn't feel safe off road.
She can ride this until she feels up to the Ripmo or I may try to trade it for a Mojo 5 which comes standard with 27.5" wheels.
Don't know yet. It's up to her. We did a local beginner level single track trail the other day and she called it quits after about 15 minutes.
She was bagging on herself saying "I suck" , I told her every time you get out on your bike you get better and will get more confident, so keep on trying.
I'm not pressuring her at all but for now it's smooth terrain and sidewalks.
View All Quotes

Aaand, its too much bike for her. She says it feels too big. ( go ahead joke it up) I looked at putting smaller rims on it, it has 29s, but I was told smaller rims won't work.

She doesn't feel comfortable or steady on it. I don't want to sell it in hopes she'll get used to it but I don't want her getting hurt on it either.
She's used to a less aggressive bike and flatter terrain than our current location which is rather hilly.
I may get her a multi gear road bike to get acquainted with the elevation changes here and hope she'll move to the Ripmo once she gets her legs and some mild trails.

@Willz

Thanks for that.
I called Ibis in Cali, was told the Ripmo will not take 27.5" rims.

I still have her Ripmo but got her an inexpensive Marin hard tail with 27.5 inch wheels. She feels much more confident on it. Still doesn't feel safe off road.
She can ride this until she feels up to the Ripmo or I may try to trade it for a Mojo 5 which comes standard with 27.5" wheels.
Don't know yet. It's up to her. We did a local beginner level single track trail the other day and she called it quits after about 15 minutes.
She was bagging on herself saying "I suck" , I told her every time you get out on your bike you get better and will get more confident, so keep on trying.
I'm not pressuring her at all but for now it's smooth terrain and sidewalks.
That's really tough. Can you pin down the "too big" complaint to more specific features and put it in more context? Is your wife tiny? How's the standover on the bike? Has she ridden many other bikes to compare? Perhaps you could try a shorter stem or lower the dropper post in the seat tube to create a more relaxed riding position. I can't recall off the top of my head but the Ripmo might have a long reach measurement.

My GF started on a diamondback 27.5 hardtail. Had an ugly endo on one of our first rides. We put a lot of miles on over a year or two and she graduated to the newest gen Ripley and has been absolutely shredding it. She loves the 29" wheels and blasts over stuff she would have stopped and walked on the hardtail. We've watched a lot of the GMBN technique videos on youtube. They help build confidence, she is getting better about remembering which brake is front

In sum my recs are:
1) improve bike fit/seating position as much as you can (assuming the frame is properly sized to begin)
2) build comfort on the bike in skills

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Still rocking a Schwinn Homegrown Mountain and recently picked up a head JRA2.
Thinking I should have saved a bit more and went with a better bike. Did a 43 ride yesterday and still has minor derailer issues in spite of the recent 1 month tune after ~90 miles on it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Thanks for that.

I still have her Ripmo but got her an inexpensive Marin hard tail with 27.5 inch wheels. She feels much more confident on it. Still doesn’t feel safe off road.
She can ride this until she feels up to the Ripmo or I may try to trade it for a Mojo 5 which comes standard with 27.5” wheels.
Don’t know yet. It’s up to her. We did a local beginner level single track trail the other day and she called it quits after about 15 minutes.
She was bagging on herself saying “I suck” , I told her every time you get out on your bike you get better and will get more confident, so keep on trying.
View All Quotes

@Willz

Thanks for that.

Putting the smaller wheels on a 29 frame would make the bottom bracket super low. Lots of pedal strike.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MJA:
Did a 43 ride yesterday and still has minor derailer issues in spite of the recent 1 month tune after ~90 miles on it.
View Quote

Did they replace the shifter cables?  They'll stretch a bit when new and you're breaking them in.  A turn of the derailleur barrel adjuster will probably fix it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By flgfish:

Did they replace the shifter cables?  They'll stretch a bit when new and you're breaking them in.  A turn of the derailleur barrel adjuster will probably fix it.
View Quote

Bought new, put 90 miles on it and the cables did stretch. They tuned it and seems like one of the lower gears on the rear cassette has a delay which is force sensitive. So I shift and no change until I crank a little harder. And that was the reason I thought it needed the tune in the first place so situation unchanged.

Really a minor annoyance thats probably expected from an entry level bike. After a 3 year hiatus, I just wanted to ride again and didn't feel safe on the road bike anymore. Can definitely see myself upgrading sooner than later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Finished up a rebuild.

Everything serviced, new bearings, bushings. Seal fluids, ect.

So much better. Forgot how good this bike is. So much fun. Doesn't plow over rock gardens like my big enduro but it turns every section of even boring trail into fun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
New ride for the season, first serious mountain bike I’ve had in years. 2022 Tallboy AL D. Waiting for the rain to slow down a bit before we head to a local trail, really excited about this one.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sorionc] [#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top