BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw this thread.

Watching the original right now.

The great tits of Dizzy just got sent to space.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was it any good?
View Quote

It’s okay, but flawed as an adaptation. The studio behind it also made Gundam and don’t actively hate the source material. So you get good animation and the powered armor, but they cut out the politics to tell a predictable story and made changes to characters and enemies.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
So ARF should crowdfund a remake?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Was it any good?
View Quote

It’s pretty decent.

As was said, there’s no History and Moral Philosophy, which is the entire point of the book.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
J.j. abrams.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like it the way it is, one of my favorite sci fi movies of all time.

Better than the book.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So ARF should crowdfund a remake?
View Quote

Hmmmm.....

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmmmm.....

Hmmmm....indeed.
Maybe not a full length feature, but I could see this

Quoted:
I'd love a short story of just the initial planet assault done with high end special effects.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who could do a really good job of making this movie the way it should be made?
View Quote

John Milius.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Paul Verhoven stated he intentionally trashed it to delegitimize the source material.
View Quote

...while unintentionally making a line like "Service Brings Citizenship!" ring out over the horizon.  He might have tried to trash the source material, but if he was trying to make fun of nationalism, he failed utterly.  He made it look like a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Been a while since I read it but I think a faithful adaptation may be a little boring.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Doug Liman gets no love here?

How about Dennis Villenueve?

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
J.j. abrams.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Better than the book.
View Quote

This post is the single most reason to ban someone ever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than the book.

Okay let's not be too drastic here. I sat through hours of philosophy, and don't get me wrong it was interesting and well written, expecting to finally hear some details about how they tore these bugs apart. It never really comes and it is a little disappointing.

It wouldn't have been that hard for Heinlein to include it. I'm not really a writer and even I tried writing a few paragraphs of trooper versus bug combat out of frustration. I wonder where a person could try publishing something like that as a short story or something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Okay let's not be too drastic here. I sat through hours of philosophy, and don't get me wrong it was interesting and well written, expecting to finally hear some details about how they tore these bugs apart. It never really comes and it is a little disappointing.

It wouldn't have been that hard for Heinlein to include it. I'm not really a writer and even I tried writing a few paragraphs of trooper versus bug combat out of frustration. I wonder where a person could try publishing something like that as a short story or something.
View Quote

At the end of the book, they hadn't won the war against the bugs, but they'd turned the corner: the Battle of Klendathu was their Midway. Ships were being built, personnel being trained, the planet had been mobilized and morale was building. He very well could have continued with the action scenes of the book, but he'd said what he wanted to say regarding social and political norms.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At the end of the book, they hadn't won the war against the bugs, but they'd turned the corner: the Battle of Klendathu was their Midway. Ships were being built, personnel being trained, the planet had been mobilized and morale was building. He very well could have continued with the action scenes of the book, but he'd said what he wanted to say regarding social and political norms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it. I know the book wasn't really about bugs or armor or spaceships, but I know myself and other readers would have appreciated it. I was almost at the edge of my seat with all the buildup and when they started calling "Frying bacon!" but then it became rather anticlimactic. Right when it kicks off the narrator gets knocked unconscious.

Maybe more action would have taken away from the core message or maybe the book just wasn't what I was expecting, I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
OOOOO back from the dead.

I would nominate Michael Bay as the director of the two-part Starship Troopers remake.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would nominate Michael Bay as the director of the two-part Starship Troopers remake.
View Quote

I feel weird reviving threads in GD but in a subforum it seems more acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I feel weird reviving threads in GD but in a subforum it seems more acceptable.
View Quote

As long as it isn't a dead hooker in your trunk...
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Better than the book.
View Quote

Yep.

I found the book dry and boring and I love to read.

Saw the movie in the theater when it was released.
Guns, aliens, blood, violence, and tits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I clicked on the thread all excited…..damn you OP!   Disappointed, i thought it was happening.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Listening to the audio book now.  I stopped reading SciFi four decades ago but I need a break from WW2.  

If the movie is made, they could use CGI for jump suits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than the book.

In his defense, in and of itself, the movie -despite when it was made- is classic awesome Paul Verhoeven like Flesh and Blood, Robocop, and Total Recall.  

It’s an awesome movie.

It’s just, well, it’s just not really Starship Troopers.
If it had been about space marines training in the Aliens universe or an underground resistance fighter training group in the terminator universe or guys training to fight off a Predator invasion or rebels trying to fight the empire it similarly would have been a great movie but just not right for the world it takes place in or an appropriate adaption.

Edit-
I forgot to add my greatest disappointment was the lack of powered armor
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mini-series woulld be better.  More time for a huge book.  

I wonder why it wasn't divulged until the last part that Rico was Filipino?  (I knew that from decades ago when a friend told me).
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Would kinda like to see what Quentin Tarrentino could do with it.

Same for StarWars.

Something where a very interesting 15 minute conversation takes place that cuts to the basic psychology or philosophical differences between foes.

Something different and something where proper mature attention is given to making interesting characters.

Something other than half assed "hahaha lets spoof nazis" or "the force is female" that was the intent with the creative forces in the original Starship Troopers or StarWars.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mech suits or I'm out
View Quote

I want to see 30 second bombs.  

I am a 30 second bomb.  I am a 30 second bomb.  29...28...27...26...
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wonder why it wasn't divulged until the last part that Rico was Filipino?  (I knew that from decades ago when a friend told me).
View Quote

I thought he was Brazilian, from Rio de Janiero.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"New Buenos Aires" is where Ricco is from.  I presume this is still in Argentina.

Not that big of a book IMO.  Lots of concepts but not a lot of plot IMO.

If LOTR can be done in three movies, this book can be done in 2.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buenos Ares, but his family was ethnic Filipino.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Totally missed that.  Where is that in the book?

I mean, I could Google it, but this bumps the thread.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a purposeful surprise only hinted at that a person of maritime southeast Asian descent raised in South America could personify all the ideals, values, feats, honor, ability and accomplishments of a European descended product of western civilization.

When he was writing it in the 50s the average American household for his market had about as much interest in an open Latin American or Philippine main protagonist hero as most of us have now in a black, gay captain America or transgendered Wonder Woman.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who could do a really good job of making this movie the way it should be made?
View Quote

You mean as a philosophy movie?  … Well I always felt they did a good job with Ender’s Game - combining both action and the philosophy of the book.

But it’s a hard sell really.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Just leave the original alone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I think you'd really need to break the book into a trilogy:

Movie 1: World building, Rico in training

Movie 2: War with the skinnies

Movie 3: War with the bugs

I think Michael Mann would be a good person to take the subject matter seriously.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#37]
I never read the book but enjoy the movie as the campy sci-fi romp that it is.

Quoted:
John Milius
View Quote

Quoted:

Good one.
View Quote

The first person to come to mind.

Quoted:
John Favreau

IF he was a fan of the book.

The Mandalorian and his work with Iron Man show that he has a knack for taking something like movies or comics people loved in the 70s and 80s and delivering a good, well done, popular product.
View Quote

Probabley the best choice of the current directors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
The antimated series was closer to the book than the movies.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#39]
The live action movies were and are Total Utter Garbage.

And I don't really care whether there was or is Powered Armor.

The problem with ALL of the movies and animated productions is the BUGS.

They all make them out to be just Big Dumb Insects, which is absolutely wrong and the opposite of what they were in the Outstanding Book.

In the Book, the question about how Intelligent The Bugs were comes up.  They were As Smart and Advanced as Humanity was in the Book.  Which is why the conflict was called an Interstellar War.

They had Technology and had Split the Atom.  
They travelled through space in Starships, which were at first superior to Earth's ships.
They used Energy Weapons in surface combat (and Nuclear Equipped Missiles or Torpedoes in Ship-to-Ship combat).

To Quote the Book: "Dumb Races don't build Spaceships."

Every production has made them out to be nothing more than Large Stupid Roaches that charge at their enemies.  Heck... even a Monkey is smart enough to Throw a Rock at an enemy instead of trying to get close enough to physically attack them!  And that is PATHETIC.  THAT is what I despise about every single live action & animation version of Starship Troopers!

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Tim Minear (Firefly)

The team from The Expanse

The team from DREDD

Milius is the best suggestion so far.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Milius/Cameron for the script, Cameron to direct. Spielberg to produce.
The ethos of the story was WW2 island fighting vs the Japanese. The Bugs would need to reflect the canny, vicious nature of the IJA.
It might work best as a mini series on HBO.
Favreau captured a lot of the S.A. and weapons integration of the Suits in Iron Man.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#42]
How about Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Chappie) as the director.  I like his gritty mix of practical effects and CGI; works for me.

Not sure I trust him to write the movie, doesn't give off libertarian/patriotic vibes.  

Listened to the book last month during a long drive.  Cathartic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mech suits or I'm out
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Necropost
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Necro troll
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Better than the book.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Johnny Rico is a Salvage Marine now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Lou Diamond Phillips would have made a great Juan Rico.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How is this even possible?

I think the movie is OK and unintentionally made being an assault trooper seem awesome.  

Also, the cities were clean and the kids were all pretty safe and care-free strolling around any time of the day or night. That is, no worries about crime.  Not what I think the filmmaker should have done if he wanted to tell the story of "Muh Nazis."

Though they meant to criticize the concept of "Service equals Citizenship" it ended up looking like a pretty smart way to run a republic by the end of the movie; almost as though Heinlein's storytelling and world-building could not be suppressed and shone through the attempt by the filmmaker to mock Heinlein's world and worldview.

But, no jump troopers, no mech armor, forced romance (not that I advocate going deep on Heinlein's views on romance), and an over-all silly take on and interesting and fairly sophisticated sci-fi book.

The book is an ode to DIs everywhere and the brotherhood between those who served.    Well written with a story arc and a fully formed world complete with a unique and interesting political theory.  It's a complete book written by a master storyteller.  Unlike many of Heinlein's later works it was pithy and circumspect.  

The big idea of the book is that people should have a stake in their government (skin in the game) and that choosing to serve others (or something bigger than the self) changes one's perspective on life and personal accountability.  This was done by way of a love-letter to all of those tough non-coms who make men from boys.  

Great book.  

Meh movie.

View Quote

I find this goes with Ayne Rand's objectivism philosophy. Which, is all about only laboring/working/paying for society because you want to, not because others force you, can co-exist in a world where service is incentivized and properly rewarded in the ST universe of having people need skin in the game for themselves to benefit
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top