Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
@DFARM

You take a sabbatical?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Life's been weird. Between the sliding door thing(drywall work still isn't finished), my regular job and normal family commitments I haven't had much time in the garage.

I did get to get some work done over the weekend though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also got the PVC tank built for the caswell black oxide kit so I can get that recurve/harpoon point finished up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Those colors are outstanding.

Black oxide kit?  Long ago I was basically acting errand boy for a job dropping off parts for black oxide all the time.

What chemicals are used for that process?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those colors are outstanding.

Black oxide kit?  Long ago I was basically acting errand boy for a job dropping off parts for black oxide all the time.

What chemicals are used for that process?
View Quote

How To Use Caswell Black Oxide To Blacken Steel Parts

This is what I'm using based on @doubleplusgood having good results with it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool thanks for posting that up.  Great little process.
Look forward to seeing some results.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Love the AT walker pics
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I got two of these utilities all sanded and the first couple coats of danish oil on them.

The other two I got to the point where they could get oiled too and found that the epoxy failed at the front of the scales where they (and the tang)are the thinnest.  Best I can come up with is that I got them too hot while I was rough shaping the scales.  I was able to get one set off and clean up and reglue them .  The other set didn't want to let go so I had to make another set.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I was busy with other stuff in the morning but I got out before dinner for a bit and got some work done on this one.

I was all ready to black oxide the blade but I remembered that once the coating is on I won't want to be grinding on the profile of the scales. I got the profile dialed in and I think I'm going to do 99% of the shaping on the scales before I glue them on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was busy with other stuff in the morning but I got out before dinner for a bit and got some work done on this one.

I was all ready to black oxide the blade but I remembered that once the coating is on I won't want to be grinding on the profile of the scales. I got the profile dialed in and I think I'm going to do 99% of the shaping on the scales before I glue them on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3437_JPG-2295866.JPG
View Quote

I liked it when you sketched it, and still do. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I liked it when you sketched it, and still do. Can't wait to see the finished product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3437_JPG-2295866.JPG

Agree, looks great!

DFARM - sidebar topic, if you do get your daughter to do any special request sugar skull sheaths I'd be down for sure.  Even would be willing to order a knife just to get one other those, it's great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!
Quoted:

Agree, looks great!

DFARM - sidebar topic, if you do get your daughter to do any special request sugar skull sheaths I'd be down for sure.  Even would be willing to order a knife just to get one other those, it's great!
View Quote

Thanks!  

I'm not sure how much she enjoyed the project. We had a good time while working on it but she hasn't mentioned wanting to do more leather work.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Encourage it. Good skill to have. My boy scout leather skills are mediocre at best, but still glad I have them.

Also, you are a selfish bastard.

If you convince her to do unicorns, you know I am in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Man. I've taken forever on these 4.  Today will see them sharpened up and washed.

Real life gets in the way. Lol

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Love the colors!

Great work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
good looking work there buddy
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow….I haven’t checked this thread in a bit, good timing a guess, those really do look great.  The colors of the liners really did end up working well with the richlite.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow….I haven’t checked this thread in a bit, good timing a guess, those really do look great.  The colors of the liners really did end up working well with the richlite.

View Quote

Thanks!  

Attachment Attached File

I got the new gas strut in to fix the grinder and I was at a point on drywall repairs where I was waiting for stuff to dry, so I snuck out and got the grinder running again and contoured the scales for the Harpoon point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You could do Emerson scales and open up a whole new book of business.

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I think a guy who had a good handle on some kind of CAD/CAM could do folder/removable fixed blade scales with a CNC router and do pretty well.

I have done exactly two sets of scales for folders and I'm not certain the factory scales would fit right again if you wanted to switch back
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Most of the guys doing them just do it in their garage with the stuff you have.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn sharp…I love the way they feel in the hand…(ignore my greasy chicken smudges on the handles)

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#23]
knice
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
First attempt with the caswell black oxide kit:

Attachment Attached File

On the parts that it took well, I'm impressed. I think the steel may be a little too smooth because the parts that are left at 36 grit are very black and the bevels which are A45(400 grit equivalent) have a couple of spots that didn't seem to blacken as much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
neat
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I dipped the knife again and I think my bevels are too polished for the oxide to take very well. The hand sanded flats look pretty good, so I might try to refinish the bevels slightly rougher(probably 400 instead of the A45) and see how it does.

I think sand blasting would probably be perfect for this finish.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought you said A45 was 400?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#29]
It is and it isn't. The A45 is what they call a structured abrasive. It's like a grid of shapes made from abrasive instead of conventional sandpaper. If I'm not mistaken, the numbers correspond to mesh or micron size of the abrasives (bigger number, courser grit).

I like structured abrasive belts for finish work because they tend to leave a much more consistent scratch pattern than conventional belts plus they don't have the "belt bump" issue that you have with normal belts at finer grits.  They actually leave a pretty nice looking finish even at 80 or 120 grit equivalents.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Interesting
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3509_JPG-2317223.JPG

On the parts that it took well, I'm impressed. I think the steel may be a little too smooth because the parts that are left at 36 grit are very black and the bevels which are A45(400 grit equivalent) have a couple of spots that didn't seem to blacken as much.
View Quote

Damn!
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3509_JPG-2317223.JPG

View Quote

Send them to me, I’ll put em through the steel shot blaster
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]
misuse of company equipment
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Last pic pre-glue up.

Unfortunately, this will most likely be the last knife I get to work on for a while. We're trying to make some significant changes and there just isn't time for this stuff right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been wondering what you were up to.

Up to good stuff I hope.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been wondering what you were up to.

Up to good stuff I hope.
View Quote

It'll be an adventure if it works out. Lol

We're getting the house ready to sell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Holy fuck sticks!

Yer comin to Wisco?!

(choose your response carefully)
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I asked about a cushy sounding in house mechanic job in Wisconsin but I got shot down. I pretty much wrote the state off after that.

I do want to take a vacation to check it out sometime though. I have to come check out the food. Lol
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Ouch, all we are to you is food.

Sounds exciting, whatever it is you are doing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ouch, all we are to you is food.

Sounds exciting, whatever it is you are doing.
View Quote

I suppose terror is exciting. Lol

Not just food but you've been doing a good job of selling it in the knife thread. Lol. The pictures kuraki posted from his camping trip looked awesome as well. Beautiful place.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Post up when it's finished that's nice work.
Hope all is well wish you and yours the best.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Will do.

Things have been crazy. So much painting. Lol

Also the property that we were trying to buy got bought out from under our contingent offer so we're trying to weigh other options, plus there's always the day job. Lol

It's actually driving me crazy not being able to make things right now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#43]
She said "you've been cranky. Why don't you go out and work on a knife or something?". I needed that. I have been pretty stressed out about the house stuff.

Some of you might recognize the blade from a while ago. I used a set of scales I had made for a different knife but the layers shifted. I decided to just shorten the handle until the layers evened out but I ended up grinding into two holes in the tang.. It'll be ok to use because the holes are filled with black epoxy, just ugly.

The blade is AEB-L and the handles are red G10 and black canvas micarta with orkot bolsters over black G10 liners.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#44]
pretty

you have a good wife to kick you out
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top