[#1]
You tease
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You tease
View Quote

The wood block?  It was just there. Nothing meant by it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
ah, but something is meant by it.

there it is, a reminder of the fresh new endeavor, the pent up excitement, waiting, untapped, while other projects get all the attention.

So there is no reason to have it in the pic other than to tease me that I remain unfulfilled.

I'm very sensitive (and probably neurotic) so I can read something out of nothing everyday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ah, but something is meant by it.

there it is, a reminder of the fresh new endeavor, the pent up excitement, waiting, untapped, while other projects get all the attention.

So there is no reason to have it in the pic other than to tease me that I remain unfulfilled.

I'm very sensitive (and probably neurotic) so I can read something out of nothing everyday.
View Quote

I'm totally not even thinking about that project anymore. Lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#5]
awww, dude, way to make a guy feel like shit
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crycryGirl-329.gif

You should be making a second Chef, just say'in.
Also put the friction project ahead of WIC's he already has so much nice stuff...
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
There will be more chefs.  The FF is nearing the top of the list.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crycryGirl-329.gif

Hopefully the comments and tone makes a little more sense now. Lol.

Attachment Attached File

I got the harpoon/swedge grinds done and ground the recurve in on the harpoon point. Now I have to go back and thin the bevels down in that area to even out the edge.

My little shop Knife is almost finished. I got the plunges in and the edge down to .008".  I'm going to give it a try without scales so I still need to round the sharp corners off and decide what to do with the flats.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Making progress on some things today since my employer was nice and gave us a snow day.

First I got these maple/52100 knives glued up.(also snuck the new shop Knife in the pic since I haven't posted it in here since it was finished)
Attachment Attached File

Then I got the recurve and bevels dialed in on this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#11]
nice
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Got these bad dudes finished up today.

Attachment Attached File

Now to finish up the harpoon/recurve.....

I'm still undecided what I'm going to do for handles. They're probably going to be some flavor of black, but I'm not sure what yet. I'm thinking maybe black burlap micarta.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
What's in the works now?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's in the works now?
View Quote

This is the stuff that's in the works at the moment.

Attachment Attached File

The prep knife with the Mexican blanket handle is done and getting delivered tomorrow, the chef with the weird handles is getting the plunge grind and the angle on the front of the scales changed to match the angle of the line where the bolsters meet the scales. The two other chefs are ready to hand sand, mark and put handles on. The recurve/harpoon point is getting a black oxide finish(I need to order the caswell kit) then it's handles and a sheath.

After these I'm planning on some more cigar stuff and designing a friction folder.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#16]
When do we get to order some chef knives?  Tou have that locked down now?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The one I posted last night in the other thread is the one I'm thinking is going to be the design. I still want to get it finished and use it a bit before I make  any more.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I was gluing up the liners and scales for my chef's knife, then I had an idea......

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
what?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what?
View Quote

The good idea fairy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#23]

You’re going to put them on that Damascus chef?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#24]
No, the scales are for the one I'm working on in 80CrV2. The Damascus chef was the idea. Lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, the scales are for the one I'm working on in 80CrV2. The Damascus chef was the idea. Lol
View Quote

Am I the only one who’s confused as shit right now!?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh, this is the blank you were wondering what to do with.

I figured knife guys just have blade cut outs laying around all over the shop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

probably

story of your life
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh, this is the blank you were wondering what to do with.

I figured knife guys just have blade cut outs laying around all over the shop.
View Quote

I didn't know what I wanted to use the steel for, so it just say there staring at me. I was sick of being intimidated by it. I had to show it who was boss. Lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

probably

story of your life
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

probably

story of your life

Pretty much.

You said you were flying up scales for a chef knife and, well, there’s a chef knife in the pic. ???????

I mean, it looks ok, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm leaning towards some form of carbon fiber with something whitish as bolsters with red liners on the Damascus one.

The knife I'm going to finish first is getting od green canvas micarta with red liners because my wife likes it and wants all the kitchen knives to match.

I'd rather have a bunch of random. Lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You are making me drool with that dama chef!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm hoping that it turns out pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to order some materials so I grabbed some stuff to have some variety on hand.

I needed the Tiffany blue liner but I grabbed some "margarita, opal, and two sizes of Tiffany blue G10 scales and a set of crosscut Westinghouse micarta scales.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice. Would you be so kind as to show the process in which you sign your knives. Or at least tell us/me how.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#35]
crosscut Westinghouse sounds like fun
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice. Would you be so kind as to show the process in which you sign your knives. Or at least tell us/me how.
View Quote

Sure. I'll post pictures of the process when I get to that point on the next one.

Short version is: I have stencils made by a company (International marking group) and I use electrolyte solution on a pad and pass DC voltage through the blade and pad with the stencil in between. The process is called "electrochemical etching".

Quoted:
crosscut Westinghouse sounds like fun
View Quote

It looks pretty cool. The only downside is that all the darkened part is around the outside edge so it'll probably all get ground off.

I follow a dude on Instagram that sells a bunch of rare and vintage materials and he's always posting some very cool stuff but most of the time a chunk big enough to make a set of scales out of costs as much as a couple of my knives. Lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Westinghouse... which one is that the greenish one?
Maybe that would look good on the project we are discussing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The crosscut Westinghouse is the brown slabs. The other two that don't match the teal color are "opal" which is actually translucent which was a surprise and it's kind of cool and the more green ones are vintage or antique "margarita".

All three of these particular sets are 1/4" or thicker so they're too thick for folder scales.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
What about for scissor scales?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What about for scissor scales?
View Quote

I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that. Lol

I'm still trying to work out how to bend the rings enough to stop against each other and still be able to plate quench stainless ones. Lol(maybe carbon steel will have to be the only option)
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I stayed up until 3:00 this morning heat treating blades. I think my number was 13 or 14. Lol

Attachment Attached File

Two of them were older knives that I couldn't get straightened out so I re hardened them. One worked out and one is still wavy, like way bad.  It's a boning/fillet knife and it's made from .060" (iirc)AEB-L and it's warped about a half inch in kind of a lazy"w" shape. It was really bad last time too. The disappointing part is that it was dead flat after the plate quench and picked up the warp in the dry ice bath.   I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point.

One chef was warped a little but it flattened out in the second temper.  I'm still fighting with one friction folder blade and two utilities.

I also got some handles started for this mid size (6?") chef and the harpoon/recurve/fighter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that. Lol

I'm still trying to work out how to bend the rings enough to stop against each other and still be able to plate quench stainless ones. Lol(maybe carbon steel will have to be the only option)
View Quote

boom

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

That looks like a guillotine type cutter with an inlay.

I suppose a guillotine type cutter where the cutting blade is steel could have the other side be made out of just about anything rigid.

Good job, WIC. You get to apologize to the people who want knives when I decide to run down this rabbit hole.

Can you post a link to the cigar thread where I can ask questions about this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had to order some materials so I grabbed some stuff to have some variety on hand.

I needed the Tiffany blue liner but I grabbed some "margarita, opal, and two sizes of Tiffany blue G10 scales and a set of crosscut Westinghouse micarta scales.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3315_JPG-2249607.JPG
View Quote

I bet that Tiffany blue is going look great with black
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I stayed up until 3:00 this morning heat treating blades. I think my number was 13 or 14. Lol

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/IMG_20220123_182046_522_jpg-2252384.JPG

Two of them were older knives that I couldn't get straightened out so I re hardened them. One worked out and one is still wavy, like way bad.  It's a boning/fillet knife and it's made from .060" (iirc)AEB-L and it's warped about a half inch in kind of a lazy"w" shape. It was really bad last time too. The disappointing part is that it was dead flat after the plate quench and picked up the warp in the dry ice bath.   I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at this point.

One chef was warped a little but it flattened out in the second temper.  I'm still fighting with one friction folder blade and two utilities.

I also got some handles started for this mid size (6?") chef and the harpoon/recurve/fighter.
View Quote

Looks like progress on the ff...  it'll be great I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I bet that Tiffany blue is going look great with black
View Quote

I think it will.
Quoted:

Looks like progress on the ff...  it'll be great I'm sure.
View Quote

?? I'll be happy to end up with something functional. Lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#48]
That house work been keeping you our of the workshop?

Joking...
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Well,

Attachment Attached File

This is about 5 minutes ago. Lol

I did sneak out and grind on a couple of utilities last night since I didn't have a sliding glass door leaning against my workbench. Lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I always tell myself less per application of that stuff.. saves my ass bunch of sanding later!
Looks better than last time you posted up!!!

The last of this house wants a slider added I avoided it this past summer. Probably won't get out of it again this coming summer.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top