Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I figured it out! The video and data wires were swapped around. I installed the VTX on my Diatone Roma F5 and it worked. Compared the wiring and noticed video was yellow wire.

Source of the problem was the diagram and instructions for the Diatone Mamba TX500 has the wires labeled wrong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone fly digital FPV? I've been wanting to try and looks like DJI v2 goggles supposedly to be released next month.

Boredom got to the best of me and I wanted to upgrade from my Fatshark Attitude V5. I ended up purchasing the Orqa FPV.One goggles. If Fedex is good to go, I should be getting them on Wednesday.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Friend has the DJI goggles.

Tried them and it is a pretty system that handles multipathing remarkably well.

But I hate the OSD setup/functionality, hate that there is no audio, hate the form factor, and the first time I flew it the image of the drone locked up some point between when I set the drone down and I armed it to fly.   With no audio onboard I was already flying a bit when my ears finally heard the drone and my brain figured out I was in the air despite the frozen image showing me I was on the ground.

This was not early release but maybe 3-4 mo ths after the release.   That friend is mostly all on HD now.  

I wont be going to HD any time soon.   Hate the air unit costs and do not want DJI goggles.    I would be happy with a module maybe.   The Fatshark HD system has a long way to go it would appear.

DJI module, even if a dual bay module, and some other trickery to work with Fatsharks or Orcas and MAYBE I would consider it.   Hate giving DJI money.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone fly digital FPV? I've been wanting to try and looks like DJI v2 goggles supposedly to be released next month.

Boredom got to the best of me and I wanted to upgrade from my Fatshark Attitude V5. I ended up purchasing the Orqa FPV.One goggles. If Fedex is good to go, I should be getting them on Wednesday.

View Quote

I am still running some old analog goggles, but one of the local guys has been running them for a while.

IIRC this was recorded from the goggle DVR and looks great.  Normally an inside garage like this would be a mess.

DJI FPV Racing | Torquefpv Hornet on APEX 4s 450 | TBS Tracer

Waiting to see what comes out of this new tech.  The Fatshark offering doesn't look very compelling.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If Furadi is one of your locals he is indeed fast.

Think he was on first and second season of the drone racing league.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If Furadi is one of your locals he is indeed fast.

Think he was on first and second season of the drone racing league.

View Quote

His son has started racing now and he says is faster than he ever was.  

Speaking of which, I have a frame here with 1804s on it. Who makes an inexpensive stack?  May just buy another Clracing F7.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

His son has started racing now and he says is faster than he ever was.  

Speaking of which, I have a frame here with 1804s on it. Who makes an inexpensive stack?  May just buy another Clracing F7.
View Quote

I have heard about his kid.   He was interviewed some time back and mentioned his son.   Think he is rightfully keeping low key on social media.  No idea if he will try out for DRL when he is old enough

Iflight has a SucceX line, or had, with some BL-heliS options in the 40 dollar range.   Good for 3-4s micros in 20-25amp range.    20x20 stacks with like 2 Uarts.

The stuff that can do 6s or more than 30 amps will take you into the 80 dollar range with a quickness for FC and 4:1 ESC but it will be BlHeli32.

Check out Newbeedrone as well.   They have had some well reviewed FC and ESC combos.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen a lot of early failures with the NewBee stuff.

Ended up with a Mamba, hope it will be okay.  Price was right.  

Forgot I ordered a Primo 3 frame which arrived today.  Cute little thing, need to figure out equipment for 2s.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Diatone RomaF5 with a Mamba stack. I've heard people mentioning of ESCs blowing up (or something like that), but I guess I haven't pushed it hard enough.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
The only ESCs I hqve blown up in recent times are some RMRC Strix BLHeliS units.

They were supposed to be rated for 65 amps.

Let the 14 dollar ESC price be a clue as to their quality.

Brand new fucking 10in tube arm build wound up blowing up an esc just after lift off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Got 2 builds on the bench, a ZMR180 and Gnarly Primo 3.  Ordered a Runcam Phoenix and a Nano3.  I can't get over how good the picture looks compared to some other cams I have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Got 2 builds on the bench, a ZMR180 and Gnarly Primo 3.  Ordered a Runcam Phoenix and a Nano3.  I can't get over how good the picture looks compared to some other cams I have.
View Quote

I just started racing and I'm using the Runcam Phoenix 2 on 2 builds and Racer 5 on another. I'm initially finding it hard to focus on flags because of the wide FOV. Adjust the goggles a bit and a few practice laps and I'm good.

I really liked the image on the Foxeer Predator 5 that I put on a freestyle build. I bought another for a new bando basher build. I did notice the colors looked weird when reviewing DVR footage. Never really noticed it when flying.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny about the FOV.

My son recently broke my goggles (Headplays) and I started looking at options.  I have the limited view on some of the ski style goggles.  I ended up fixing mine, so working for the time being.

I need to find a few newer ski style goggles to try out.  I flew some older ones and I was really unimpressed, but that was a few years back.

The DJI digitals are really, really tempting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My latest build is slow going.

But a 22in prop monster takes some time.

Frame is nearing 4500g without batteries or any of the half dozen gopros and cinder block it could carry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
My building stuff has ground to a halt except for a few drone things.  Building a shop office in an effort to have a cleanish room.  What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ended up finding a good deal on a set of DomV3, picked up a Eachine Pro58 module to go with it.  Mainly need to get a new strap, otherwise they seem in decent shape.

These are better than the last small screen goggles I flew, I think I still prefer my huge box goggles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Just found this thread.

I haven't flown a drone in a hot minute. Covid basically killed racing in my area so I've probably only flown 5-10 packs the past 12 months. Been thinking of selling off some of my stuff to fund other hobbies.

Mid America Throwdown qualifier

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah, the joys of FPV.  Got my toothpick going but the Runcam vtx lasted about 2.5 flights.  Replaced with TBS nano.  Crashed into snow.  Everything appears to still work.

I think I will stick with simple stuff like helicopters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
         Sorry for your loss.      Quit laughing - I'm serious.... mostly.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, the joys of FPV.  Got my toothpick going but the Runcam vtx lasted about 2.5 flights.  Replaced with TBS nano.  Crashed into snow.  Everything appears to still work.

Sorry for your loss.      Quit laughing - I'm serious.... mostly.  

Lol.  I was expecting better out of a Runcam VTX, but at least it was cheap.  Not sure I will even bother opening a support case.  I don't think I screwed it up, who knows.

Been an expensive month.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol.  I was expecting better out of a Runcam VTX, but at least it was cheap.  Not sure I will even bother opening a support case.  I don't think I screwed it up, who knows.

Been an expensive month.  
View Quote

I've been a little busy as well. Small parts here and there don't seem like much, but when you got like 3 orders a week, it really adds up. I also really wanted to try out digital FPV and bought the V2 DJI goggles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been a little busy as well. Small parts here and there don't seem like much, but when you got like 3 orders a week, it really adds up. I also really wanted to try out digital FPV and bought the V2 DJI goggles.
View Quote

Bunch of the locals are rocking the DJI and I am a little jealous.

After flying the DomV3 for a few weeks I am not real impressed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

TBS vtxs are generally good to go.

Can be a pain to unlock them tho.

Also had good luck with Rush line of VTX.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just found this thread.

I haven't flown a drone in a hot minute. Covid basically killed racing in my area so I've probably only flown 5-10 packs the past 12 months. Been thinking of selling off some of my stuff to fund other hobbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxnjBLqUgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2C3Nqm_T00
View Quote

Awesome flying! I just started and only hang out with a few locals flying simple flag and gate tracks. No one does weekend fun races? Or is all group activities shut down?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my DJI FPV goggles in today. First impressions agree with what most people are saying, that the factory goggle seal feels like it's meant for flat faces or XXL heads.

Still waiting on some parts to put a quad together to be able to try them out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda kicking myself, meant to build something with Inav to play around with.  Guess no support for the FCs I ordered.

Guess time to build a new quad.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Latest 250g build...

Something about the scale makes it seem way bigger than it is.

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I noticed 2 frames I bought that have 6mm arms come with M3x8mm screws for the motors. Will the 2mm be enough threads to hold the motor?

On the first one I ended up getting 10mm long screws and using a washer. Plenty of threads on motor base and doesn't stick out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I noticed 2 frames I bought that have 6mm arms come with M3x8mm screws for the motors. Will the 2mm be enough threads to hold the motor?

On the first one I ended up getting 10mm long screws and using a washer. Plenty of threads on motor base and doesn't stick out.
View Quote

How thick are the motor bases? I use screws that are long enough to run the entire thickness of the base without sticking out far enough to touch the windings. 2mm should be plenty
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:47:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How thick are the motor bases? I use screws that are long enough to run the entire thickness of the base without sticking out far enough to touch the windings. 2mm should be plenty
View Quote

I haven't measured the new ones (BrotherHobby Avenger), but spec sheet says 3mm.

Full thread engagement is preferred, but wondering if anyone had insight and/or what frame manufacturer's thoughts are on why they include 8mm long motor screws for 6mm thick arms.

Edit: Found spec sheet for motors.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#33]
LOL. The 8mm screws weren't for the motors, but for the standoffs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOL. The 8mm screws weren't for the motors, but for the standoffs.
View Quote

Force it and it might be fine.  Maybe.  Only one way to find out!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Force it and it might be fine.  Maybe.  Only one way to find out!
View Quote

I bought some TPU arm guards that mount in-between the motor and arms, so I ended up going with 10mm screws. Thread locker and some moderate torque and it should do fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#36]
You said Avengers.

Building a 7in or just a big stator 5in for 6s?

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You said Avengers.

Building a 7in or just a big stator 5in for 6s?

View Quote

2806.5 1300kv for a 7 inch cruiser.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a bad place to be at all.

Have your frame yet?

Skip to 9min if you want details on my 7in using same motors for 20+ min flight times

7in builds do not respond well to being very light.   Tuning is a bitch for light quads.

This is the 7in on 6000mah and 1350g AUW.

Video playback speed boosted almost 2x which would magnify any occilations
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have your frame yet?

Skip to 9min if you want details on my 7in using same motors for 20+ min flight times

7in builds do not respond well to being very light.   Tuning is a bitch for light quads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have your frame yet?

I need to build something long range.

I suspect my new 5" build with 2800kv motors isn't gonna be it.  

FWIW, my 17mo daughter loved the music in the video.  My wife is worried she is going to grow up to be a metal head.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I need to build something long range.

I suspect my new 5" build with 2800kv motors isn't gonna be it.  

FWIW, my 17mo daughter loved the music in the video.  My wife is worried she is going to grow up to be a metal head.  
View Quote

I picked because it reminds me of guitar hero and the south park episode.

For a big 6000 mah 6s2p my 10in is awesome....

Flies like a 1700kv 4s in 6in in terms of handling.

Put a 6s 1800mah lipo on it and you can rip carefree.

3115 640kv motors for 10in are a super happy spot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Have your frame yet?

View Quote

I bought the Project 399 Super G+ frame. I put it together last weekend. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but I'm flying with Caddx Vista, 1800 or 2200mAh 6s and GoPro 8 camera.

First test flights were wobbly and I ended up searching and using UAVTech's preset tune. It flies a lot better, but still a little shakey at mid to high throttle. It's been breezy this week, so I might wait a little before I mess with it.

When handling the quad (with hands) I notice vibrations in the arms. It's not completely finished and I need to secure the motor wires, so maybe more tape on the arms will dampen it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys hope you don't mind be butting into this thread.

Came across the DJI FPV (the drone combo kit) and it seems fascinating.

It looks like it has a gimbal camera and goggles that have head tracking. Does anyone know if it has head tracking out of the box, and if not does it have capability otherwise?

Seems like an easy way to get into FPV with quality components.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey guys hope you don't mind be butting into this thread.

Came across the DJI FPV (the drone combo kit) and it seems fascinating.

It looks like it has a gimbal camera and goggles that have head tracking. Does anyone know if it has head tracking out of the box, and if not does it have capability otherwise?

Seems like an easy way to get into FPV with quality components.
View Quote
I have one.  It's simply amazing.

I've flown a pile of cheap HobbyTownUSA drones over the years but the DJI is a whole new ballgame.  It's super stable, the video is crystal clear, and the range is unbelievable.  I have mine a kilometer and a half away swooping over a farmers field this afternoon.  

It's honestly the closest thing to really flying that i can imagine.

EDIT:  If I remember tomorrow I"ll upload some footage from mine.  The 4K cam takes great photos from 3 kilometers up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I bought the Project 399 Super G+ frame. I put it together last weekend. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but I'm flying with Caddx Vista, 1800 or 2200mAh 6s and GoPro 8 camera.

First test flights were wobbly and I ended up searching and using UAVTech's preset tune. It flies a lot better, but still a little shakey at mid to high throttle. It's been breezy this week, so I might wait a little before I mess with it.

When handling the quad (with hands) I notice vibrations in the arms. It's not completely finished and I need to secure the motor wires, so maybe more tape on the arms will dampen it?
View Quote

I am running JET's 399 Super G in a deadcat config.

Give me a few days and I will try to plug in and get my config settings for you as well as BLHeli 32 settings.

But I am packing 645 grams of battery.   If you have a pair of 1800s or 2200s...  rig yourself a parallel pigtail.   Slap a battery on top and a battery on the bottom for a parallel 6s 4400mah.    No kidding.

Load those 7in props so they have to actually spin up and stay flexed a bit.

That is a recommendation directly from JET talking to him like 2 years ago.

Also if you are playing with a hero for HD footage turn on the stabilization.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I finally got sick of dealing with issues on the quads I have so far, and bought a complete BNF setup - an Armattan Gecko 3”. With all the upgrades (Crossfire rx, 800mW vtx), it was $360 shipped. Here’s hoping I didn’t fuck up :). At the end of the day, I was swayed by the lifetime warranty they offer on frames; I’m hoping it’ll be a solid little quad I can keep upgrading for the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m sitting here at my desk, organizing and charging up my batteries during a conference call.

What’s seen cannot be unseen.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#48]
My dude, you need a parallel board or 2.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My dude, you need a parallel board or 2.
View Quote

My charger would feel like a slut handling more than one at a time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My charger would feel like a slut handling more than one at a time.
View Quote

ReadymadeRC and RacedayQuads both have a 24v power supply that is like 25-40 bucks.

Add on top of that something like a Icharger T6 and you have something that can pump out enough juice to do 4-6 batteries at once.

Parallel charging at an effective 1C charge rate really is life changing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top