Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
??????, very nice
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow that looks fantastic! Wish I had those skills
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I’ll post a couple more when it’s finished. I’m nearly there, but I needed to move it off my bench for a while. I’ve been getting tired of looking at it.

Here’s what’s on the bench now: Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. I’m still debating on what paint scheme I want to do. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I’ll post a couple more when it’s finished. I’m nearly there, but I needed to move it off my bench for a while. I’ve been getting tired of looking at it.

Here’s what’s on the bench now: Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. I’m still debating on what paint scheme I want to do. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/AD9E2EB4-116D-46D6-AA27-8A9B68A07FBD_jpeg-837971.JPG
View Quote
Keep the thread going with updates.
What are we using for seam filler these days, i've been using green stuff, but figure theres something better out by now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I use  "sprue goo" made with bits of sprue slagged in MEK and red body spot filler.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I tend to build models that have perfect fit. But in all seriousness, I use super glue with a squirt of excellerant on those spots that need to be filled. And I sand with 320-1500 grit paper generally wet sanding. Since I switched to using the Tamiya extra thin liquid cement I have less fit issues. I can build fuselages and wings in small sections so I can get the fit just right. I’m also pretty selective one what kits I build. I finish around 5-6 kits at the most per year, so I read reviews and if doesn’t look like a good kit, I don’t bother with it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What are we using for seam filler these days, i've been using green stuff, but figure theres something better out by now.
View Quote
Tamiya white putty works good for me. Put it on and spread it with a wet finger. Works around like soft clay and goes exactly where I want it. Hardly any sanding after.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tamiya white putty works good for me. Put it on and spread it with a wet finger. Works around like soft clay and goes exactly where I want it. Hardly any sanding after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had good luck with the squadron white putty for larger gaps. I’ll have to give the Tamiya stuff a try.

But for smaller seams I cannot praise the Mr Surfacer products enough. That stuff is magic. I apply Mr Surfacer 500 to the seam with a fine paintbrush. It has the consistency of thick paint and goes on well with a brush. I’ll then sand it after it dries. Next, I’ll spray the area with Mr Surfacer 1500 through the airbrush. The 1500 acts more like a primer than a filler, but it makes any imperfections in the sanding really pop out. I’ll then repeat the cycle with mr Surfacer 500. Seams completely vanish. You can also use micro mesh or fine grit sandpaper (i.e. 8k -12k) to polish mr Surfacer 1500 to a high gloss sheen. This works great for natural metallic (NMF) finishes. Anyone who has done NMF finishes can attest to the fact that any small imperfection will pop right out once the metallic coat is applied. Mr Surfacer 1500 will fill in any small scratches, dings, etc. the starboard wing of this Ki-61 has Mr Surfacer 1500 polished with 12k grit micro mesh, and the resultant metallic finish:

Finished product took 3rd place at the IPMS nationals in Phoenix in 2018:
Attachment Attached File

The Tamiya engraving blade also comes highly recommended. I use that to re-scribe any panel lines that get filled in (usually across fuselage halves).

ETA: mr Surfacer 500 with my current 109K-4 build atop the bottle. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’ve had good luck with the squadron white putty for larger gaps. I’ll have to give the Tamiya stuff a try.

But for smaller seams I cannot praise the Mr Surfacer products enough. That stuff is magic. I apply Mr Surfacer 500 to the seam with a fine paintbrush. It has the consistency of thick paint and goes on well with a brush. I’ll then sand it after it dries. Next, I’ll spray the area with Mr Surfacer 1500 through the airbrush. The 1500 acts more like a primer than a filler, but it makes any imperfections in the sanding really pop out. I’ll then repeat the cycle with mr Surfacer 500. Seams completely vanish. You can also use micro mesh or fine grit sandpaper (i.e. 8k -12k) to polish mr Surfacer 1500 to a high gloss sheen. This works great for natural metallic (NMF) finishes. Anyone who has done NMF finishes can attest to the fact that any small imperfection will pop right out once the metallic coat is applied. Mr Surfacer 1500 will fill in any small scratches, dings, etc. the starboard wing of this Ki-61 has Mr Surfacer 1500 polished with 12k grit micro mesh, and the resultant metallic finish:
https://i.postimg.cc/vmVpqxRy/9-E90-F18-A-7-AD6-45-A2-A3-D5-2-D695-C3-E8-B22.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/q72xZv0z/E572-FCC5-3-E28-4-B8-F-A6-ED-77-BAE5-F7-F759.jpg

Finished product took 3rd place at the IPMS nationals in Phoenix in 2018:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163072/6BFA2C48-46C7-4737-9AA3-513B7F04EBCC_jpeg-851872.JPG

The Tamiya engraving blade also comes highly recommended. I use that to re-scribe any panel lines that get filled in (usually across fuselage halves).

ETA: mr Surfacer 500 with my current 109K-4 build atop the bottle. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163072/5297A8AB-4CA6-463F-A2CB-BF01873B82C3_jpeg-851839.JPG
View Quote
Great explanation of mr surfacer, seen it mentioned but didnt know anything about it.
I've been using the squadron white stuff, for the crappy kits i've been building, its a must. But with a growing number of wing things in the stash, i may take the leap to surfacer products.
And congrats on a 3rd place.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Two most recent I’ve built. Still have a half built clk gtr I need to finish and some other kits that I have lined up but I haven’t done any modeling in a while.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/231690/B8A4D7BD-9689-4545-AEE8-15FE93570684_jpeg-860460.JPG

Two most recent I’ve built. Still have a half built clk gtr I need to finish and some other kits that I have lined up but I haven’t done any modeling in a while.
View Quote
You build/paint and decal these?? Look nice, what scale are they?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Some recent stuff I built.

Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You build/paint and decal these?? Look nice, what scale are they?
View Quote
Yeah I did. They are 1/24 scale tamiya models. Touring cars are my favorite to build. Also done a R34 calsonic and takata NSX.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ruined a Hasegawa 1/48 F-2B I've been working on for months. I finally was happy with the paint and applied the 9000 stencil decals...then I decided to give it a light grey wash. Waaaaaaay too hot of thinner
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Here’s what’s on the bench now: Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. I’m still debating on what paint scheme I want to do. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/AD9E2EB4-116D-46D6-AA27-8A9B68A07FBD_jpeg-837971.JPG
View Quote
Big Beautiful Doll.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ruined a Hasegawa 1/48 F-2B I've been working on for months. I finally was happy with the paint and applied the 9000 stencil decals...then I decided to give it a light grey wash. Waaaaaaay too hot of thinner
View Quote
That sucks.
Can repair it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice collection there!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Found some reference pics online, so my truck isnt finished now.
Rounding off the hood and radiator shell. Next will move the windshield center post out a little.
nearest chase bank atm to me
Also working on a french panel wagon, in german service now. I repainted it tonight, the camo is now brushed on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:37:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Clean build!
View Quote
Thanks! I'm currently working an an M1025 by Tamiya.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That sucks.
Can repair it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks.
Can repair it?
No,I ordered a set of decals with a samurai on the tail so they'll be more interesting than the plain kit ones anyway and will just strip it down and repaint.

I’m working on an Italeri B-26K now. It’s a long way from being a Hasegawa kit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of sanding and filling. Got the hardest part done on the re-do, paint, fill, sand, repeat.

gas station near my location open now
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
So I wrapped up the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D. I decided on this scheme from a fairly famous/well known Mustang:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Stand by for a second Mustang coming soon..
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
So like many of us modelers, I have WAY too many kits standing by to be built. Last time I checked, given my current build rate, I was good with kit supply till I turn 68. I’m 39 now. So one of things I do to save space is put similar kits in one box vs two. Anyway, the Mustang above had another one in it. Rather than put the box back in the stash, I built the second Mustang. I have a few more details to attend to, but it’s close enough to share.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
@Colt_sporter

What shade(s) of green did you use for the wings on that P-51? That absolutely nails the correct color. Love the color modulation effects too. I have a similar scheme for a kit in my stash in mind. P-51D “Da Quake”. That’s the perfect green color for that scheme. Do tell!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My 1/32 Tamiya Zero build:

Cockpit assembly:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Post shading panel interiors:
Attachment Attached File

First wash of pastel chalk:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Rudder fabric effects:
Attachment Attached File

Final product:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#30]
@AZshooter71. Thanks for the compliments. I paint almost exclusively with MRP. If you aren’t familiar with the brand, it’s an extremely thin paint made in the CZ. They something like 600 colors now, but no Japanese WWII. You can find it on eBay but I buy it from www.hobbyworld-USA.com. I believe he is the only USA distributor of the paint. Matt specializes in paints and aftermarket supplies from all over Europe. For the OD Mustang, I black based the model, then did a sorta modulation with some greyed white in random areas. I then applied OD green #234 in the marbling sorta way. I then applied another shade of OD (MRP has several). This ones was more “grey” than the previous. Lastly, I applied a dusting coat of the formentioned #234. I also used some of the Ultimate Weathering Wash “Earth.” I’m not entirely sold on those just yet, as it did some staining to the natural metal finish (AK EXTREME) that I don’t really like. I appreciate the complements, your Zero is quite nice. I’ve been modeling on and off for over 30 years now. That being said, taking my models to the higher end of things has been a real challenge (read as generally frustrating) for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Collecting paint is damn near like collecting kits or BRD.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#32]

The dog houses.  3" insulation in the floors, walls, roof, 3 layers of old carpet pieces on the floors inside, one layer on the covered front porch and "patio".  The back one is about 25 years old and the front double wide is about 18 years old.  Been a few dogs over the years.

Bench built just for me.  Most are too short for me and don't have a high enough back.  So I built this one to fit me.  It sits in front of my garage (faces south) so it's a nice place to sit on cold winter days to trim brass, prime brass, clean guns, etc. as it can be 10 to 15 F warmer with the sun shining and the north/northwest wind blocked by the garage.  Some days I wear a coat out there and after a bit the hat and coat get pulled off and I'm sitting there in my pants/t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Thems some funny looking models.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#34]
There used to be a huge controversy over the color of that mustang.  In some of the color photos, it appeared to be blue, not dark OD.  
And that’s where poberezny’s blue mustang scheme came from I recall.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Never saw that brand of paint before
Who sells it?  Acrylic or enamel?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Those Tamiya Mustangs are sweet kits......btw, most Mustang wings were not "natural metal" as there was a coating laid onto the wings that sealed up most of the panel lines to increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the laminar flow wing, so a Mustang in natural aluminum actually may have  had it wings painted silver.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Never saw that brand of paint before
Who sells it?  Acrylic or enamel?
View Quote
Read some of my previous posts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

We aren’t allowed to have combat aircraft but have 4 L-39s for use in training TACPs and antiaircraft crews. If you ever fly into TLN there’s no missing them on the ramp in either the Baltic Bees scheme or bluish grey camo. I’ve long been wanting to build a model of one.
Now,I admit that my basic modeling skills aren’t very good so this kit with zero locating pins is going to be a challenge. Hopefully enough putty and paint will make it OKish.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I **think** Eduard makes a decent L-39 should that one not work out well for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]
They do...it’s this kit for more money. It does have an injected molded canopy though which would probably make it worth the additional cost but I really only wanted these markings so gonna run with it.

There are so many marking options for these things that I would have thought there would be a market for a decent kit if it but perhaps not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got paint on this one last night.

" />

Started out as the Academy 1/32 Israeli SUFA.   That kit has every part needed to build any F-16 two seater after Block 30.  If they put in a set of the early landing gear with wheels and tires and flat doors and small horizontal stabs,  you could build any F-16 ever built.  So many small fiddly parts for sensors, etc included but not called out on any of the variations of the kits I have.  Only had to buy 1 aftermarket part. A left hand AN/ASQ-213 HTS Pod

I'm building this one for my MD.  He's the Flight Surgeon for the 169th Swamp Fox squadron and gets back seat time in this one.  I have all the decals to build his ride.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Here’s what I’m working on now: Tamiya 1/48 HE-162. So far, it’s been pretty straight forward. What you see here is a couple afternoons worth of work.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
What you see here is a couple afternoons worth of work.  
View Quote
Couple?    You suck!  Mine above is about 2.5 months of found time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Couple?    You suck!  Mine above is about 2.5 months of found time.
View Quote
I wouldn’t get too spun up about it. My little He-162 would easily sit on one wing of that F-16 with room to spare. I also work a fairly unique job (merchant marine) where I’m gone for a few weeks then home for some. On days in the winter, when I’m home and the wife and son are of to work/school I can sometimes have multiple days in a row to work on these sorts of projects. That’s being said, I’m now back at work and it’ll be another two weeks before I get to work in my basement again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#45]
If I suddenly had Bill Gates money one of the 10,000 stupid ways I would waste it all would be making a reproduction Me-162 powered by an HF120.

Looks great,as does the F-16.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Been in and out of model kits for awhile. Haven't really done anything much since I was a kid....with Testors enamels, tube glue and cheap paintbrushes
I was working on a 1/96 USS Constitution a few years ago until I gave up on it and it broke during moving.

Just ordered about $300 worth of stuff. Paints, thinners, various glues, tools etc. I was going to go with MRP, but most of the colors I needed were out of stock but I found a decent deal on some AK RC paints to get me started, along with a few MRP colors.

Working on a CH-53E right now. Been wanting that kit for years and recently found out they're not made anymore and they aren't cheap now. So I snagged one.
Also wanted a 1/35 AH-1W...Was kind of hard to find one, but I got one...one of the 1st release 2002 Academy kits (pre-NTS update)
Also saw a 1/35 AH-60L DAP kit for like $20 so I figured why not.
Big ed PE set for the Super Stallion on the way also. Just need to get different decals for it and maybe some after-market resin parts
Bought a rivet wheel to test for the CH-53 since theres no rivets in the mold....and a CH-53 has a ton of rivets. Also bought some raised detail rivets to test to see which I like best.
Need to add some jets to my stash for later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#47]
@Colt_sporter

Where do you get your MRP?
I ordered some from Hobbyworld-usa, but they were out of stock on several colors I need.
Are they the only retailers in the US?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@Colt_sporter

I ordered some from Hobbyworld-usa, but they were out of stock on several colors I need.
View Quote
Yes, Matt is to the best my knowledge the only USA retailer. Now you can buy them on eBay, but shipping can be a bitch as it’s now coming from Europe. You’re best bet is to back order the colors you want and wait. It’s generally not long, MRP is currently one of his biggest sellers. He makes orders that are in the tens of thousands per month. Are you on Facebook? You can contact him on there. Matt is very responsive to messaging. He’s also a group on Facebook called, Scale Modelers Critique Group. He will make announcements on there for when stuff is in.

IM me is need for specific help. What colors are you looking for? Maybe I have doubles?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, Matt is to the best my knowledge the only USA retailer. Now you can buy them on eBay, but shipping can be a bitch as it's now coming from Europe. You're best bet is to back order the colors you want and wait. It's generally not long, MRP is currently one of his biggest sellers. He makes orders that are in the tens of thousands per month. Are you on Facebook? You can contact him on there. Matt is very responsive to messaging. He's also a group on Facebook called, Scale Modelers Critique Group. He will make announcements on there for when stuff is in.

IM me is need for specific help. What colors are you looking for? Maybe I have doubles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Colt_sporter

Yes, Matt is to the best my knowledge the only USA retailer. Now you can buy them on eBay, but shipping can be a bitch as it's now coming from Europe. You're best bet is to back order the colors you want and wait. It's generally not long, MRP is currently one of his biggest sellers. He makes orders that are in the tens of thousands per month. Are you on Facebook? You can contact him on there. Matt is very responsive to messaging. He's also a group on Facebook called, Scale Modelers Critique Group. He will make announcements on there for when stuff is in.

Thanks. I do have FB
I have some on backorder.

Light Gray FS36375 - 038
U.S.NAVY Modern FS35237 - 105
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Alright, I will look and see what I got. Gimme a day or so.

I also shot Matt a message to see when his next shipment is due in.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top