Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Any recommendations for a really good Jamaican rum?
Looking for a friend. Not looking for an expensive one, but a really good one.
He likes his rum cask strength.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

PS. Been busy lately, but have had a few sips. Tried Dos Maderas 5+5 and liked it.
Working on Zacapa 23 and am not sure. Definitely different. Liked the 5+5 better.
Taste buds still whacked out, but had a glass of Basil Hayden Dark Rye and could almost taste something.
There was definitely something else there.  

Once again, thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a really good Jamaican rum?
Looking for a friend. Not looking for an expensive one, but a really good one.
He likes his rum cask strength.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

PS. Been busy lately, but have had a few sips. Tried Dos Maderas 5+5 and liked it.
Working on Zacapa 23 and am not sure. Definitely different. Liked the 5+5 better.
Taste buds still whacked out, but had a glass of Basil Hayden Dark Rye and could almost taste something.
There was definitely something else there.  

Once again, thanks for any and all help.
View Quote

Unaged: Rum Fire $25
Lightly aged: Smith and Cross $30
Aged: Hampden Estate Overproof $70

All overproof.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone give me some info on the Old Monk 7yr rum? It's around $20 a bottle at my local liquor store, and was the highest aged rum I could find for that price.  How does it compare to the Plantation and other 7+ year aged rums at $30+?  

I'm just getting into rum, but compared to Sailor Jerry....the Old Monk 7yr definitely tastes better. Not as much bite, and more layers of flavor.

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone tried any of the Haitian Clairins? Just picked up a bottle of Clairin Sajous. If you like Agricole or Cachaca I suggest giving it a try.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Great Zacapa Drought continues. None of my three go to liquor stores can get their hands on a bottle of Zacapa. Kirk & Sweeney has been my usual substitute, but today one of the stores got this in. I bought an overpriced bottle and gave it a try. It’s rich, thick, and flavorful with a significant taste of port. I haven’t read up on it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was aged in port barrels.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/50664/785CBBC8-0CE9-4657-A381-CCCB5C966CBF_jpe-2272176.JPG
View Quote

It is aged in European white oak barrels. Comes out of Veracruz, Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay I went nuts on rum

JM Rhum VSOP
Pusser Gunpowder Rum
Lemonhart 80
Appleton 12
Plantation OFTD
Plantation PineApple
Appleton Signature
Havana Club 7

All in the last month. Got a few more I'm trying to track down before summer. I really wish I could locate a Smith & Cross Navy Strength Rum but that's seeming to be impossible. And a Martinique AOC Agricole Blanc also seems to be eluding me, of any brand.

I'll probably grab a Goslings 151 next week just because.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone had Doorlys 12? I've been wanting to get into proper aged rum but haven't had a good rum before(aside from some local craft white rum, but that's a different thing entirely I guess). I remember Bacardi gold had hints of a tasty type of liquor in it, got me wanting to try something that was, well, not Bacardi.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone had Doorlys 12? I've been wanting to get into proper aged rum but haven't had a good rum before(aside from some local craft white rum, but that's a different thing entirely I guess). I remember Bacardi gold had hints of a tasty type of liquor in it, got me wanting to try something that was, well, not Bacardi.
View Quote

I believe I've had it, though it was a while ago.  IIRC, it was a decent sipper, and I felt like it was a bit above it's price point, on par with some of the $35 bottles I've tried.  If my local stores carried it, it would be on my regular list.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe I've had it, though it was a while ago.  IIRC, it was a decent sipper, and I felt like it was a bit above it's price point, on par with some of the $35 bottles I've tried.  If my local stores carried it, it would be on my regular list.
View Quote

First sips after I cracked it were good, next day it's excellent for sipping. Highly enjoy.  Wonder how it compares to RL seale 10.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked  a bottle of BARBANCOURT HAITI 15 YEARS OLD
I like it better than some others I have been  trying lately.
I am fairly new to rum. It seems as though Plantation is a bit gimmicky. I picked up a single cask from them and also a few vintage bottles. Anyone else tried them or have thoughts? I got the Fiji and the Peru
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Okay I went nuts on rum

JM Rhum VSOP
Pusser Gunpowder Rum
Lemonhart 80
Appleton 12
Plantation OFTD
Plantation PineApple
Appleton Signature
Havana Club 7

All in the last month. Got a few more I'm trying to track down before summer. I really wish I could locate a Smith & Cross Navy Strength Rum but that's seeming to be impossible. And a Martinique AOC Agricole Blanc also seems to be eluding me, of any brand.

View Quote

Do you prefer to drink your rum straight, or in cocktails.  I've always enjoyed rum, and like about any cocktail that has it as the base spirit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
i was went to 3 dots and a dash on Chicago last weekend

I was able to try a Jet Pilot, Space Force Pilot, 3 dots and a dash, and a 2044 (re-imagining of a mai tai 100 years later)

I also notice my favorite local bar has Zaya Gran Reserva, I tried some, VERY smooth and a ton of vanilla flavor. Great for drinking neat, but I feel it would get lost in most cocktails. I will have to snag a bottle though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you prefer to drink your rum straight, or in cocktails.  I've always enjoyed rum, and like about any cocktail that has it as the base spirit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay I went nuts on rum

JM Rhum VSOP
Pusser Gunpowder Rum
Lemonhart 80
Appleton 12
Plantation OFTD
Plantation PineApple
Appleton Signature
Havana Club 7

Oh the list got WAY longer, I've fallen hard for rum. I usually drink it in cocktails. Although I got a bottle of El Dorado 15 yesterday that is delicious neat.

Today I've got an Appleton 21 coming in and I'm really considering grabbing an El Dorado 21 as well.

Rum is such a crazy category I'm loving diving into jt. At first I thought it would be cheaper than whiskey given the current bourbon and rye prices but turns out, even though the per bottle price of most rum is a lot less, the wide variety of styles means I'm spending just as much lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Appleton 21 arrived .....and im weak so I got the El Dorado 21 as well. Goddamn! Rum could take me away from rye at this pace. Wow.

They both taste delicious neat, as they should for the price. But the El Dorado 21 in a Mai Tai? Yeah, that's heavenly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Appleton 21 arrived .....and im weak so I got the El Dorado 21 as well. Goddamn! Rum could take me away from rye at this pace. Wow.

They both taste delicious neat, as they should for the price. But the El Dorado 21 in a Mai Tai? Yeah, that's heavenly.
View Quote

Agree on the El Dorado 21... but wait till you taste the 25... probably my all time favorite so far.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agree on the El Dorado 21... but wait till you taste the 25... probably my all time favorite so far.
View Quote

Sadly bot available here it seems. I'm hoping to acquire a bottle of Appleton 17 when it's released but at only 1,500 bottles I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been thinking this too.  Bourbon has gotten so ridiculous with allocations, that one would think finding rum would be an easier task.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm basically able to find all the rum I've actively sought out, can't say the same for whiskey even in the slightest.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm basically able to find all the rum I've actively sought out, can't say the same for whiskey even in the slightest.

View Quote

If it were not for internet purchases... I would have very little of the extremely hard to find options. I usually end up paying premium prices but I'm sick of living in an ABC state with little to no choices/chances for the higher end products.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
My local liquor store has a great run selection, including rare store picks and high end bottles. But I can jump on Amazon and have stuff delivered the next day. I had Appleton 21 delivered the next day.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a bottle of Havana Club Maestro coming on Friday. Seems to have some good reviews.

I'm currently obsessed with a split based Mojito. Split based cocktails are really growing on me after doing split Mai Tais with Appleton 12 and RHUM JM Agricole

1oz Havana Club 3yr
1oz Angostura 1919
1oz Like Juice
0.5oz rich syrup

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Really liking this one. Apparently I have a think for Barbados rum.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20220419_170018-2354914.jpg

Rum kitteh approves......
View Quote

I got a bottle of that after Doorlys 12, same distillery different looking bottle.  Both quite good but I'd give the edge to the doorlys. Anyone besides Foursquare put out unadulterated value bottles like this?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a bottle of Havana Club Maestro coming on Friday. Seems to have some good reviews.

I'm currently obsessed with a split based Mojito. Split based cocktails are really growing on me after doing split Mai Tais with Appleton 12 and RHUM JM Agricole

1oz Havana Club 3yr
1oz Angostura 1919
1oz Like Juice
0.5oz rich syrup

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263816/D02CF4A9-0315-485C-8E78-C5E3E06F29DB_jpe-2403852.JPG
View Quote

That looks damn tasty, but I have to ask.. what is angostura 1919? Is that belt fed?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Found a bottle of Ron Zacappa 23 at a CGX for $35 recently. It's phenomenal. Local NEX its $50.

Also, found another CGX 45 min away that has Flor De Cana 7 for $17/bottle which is hard to beat and the cheapest I've ever seen it. The 7 might be my favorite mid level sipping rum.
The NEX down the street has Appleton for $20ish but I still prefer the FDC 7.
View Quote

Zacapa 23 is $65 at my local store.... and I pay it. 20 miles down the road and across the state line it's $45. It's delicious and I can easily drink a bottle a week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]
New bottle acquired last night

Appleton Hearts 2003

Attachment Attached File

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top