User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

Awesome score....!

I’m still in the Phoenix area, but many of the liquor stores aren’t opening their doors and are still drive-thru only because of COVID-19. I’m sure there are bottles of unique agave spirits hiding on the shelves but can’t be found except to ask specifically for them. I did acquire a full set of offerings of the Currenos brand since it’s not available in any other state yet, and for the wife (she’s not a mezcal fan) a bottle of Avion Reserva 44. It’s a beautiful bottle and I hope she will enjoy it.
I’ve got until Saturday to dig up some more liquor to take home with me so maybe I’ll get lucky.
View Quote

A thing to grab for you and your wife if she isn't into mezcal is calle 23 Criollo. It's pricey but definitely worth it. Just a stupid good ultra clean tasting tequila that has a perfect citrusy minerality to it that makes you feel like you're drinking a perfect white wine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#2]
Thank you for that recommendation. I will look for it today. Currently I have (7) bottles of mezcal and the one tequila that are getting packed to take home with me. (I know ....those are rookie numbers - but it’s about $800 of liquor in 3-days of shopping). And this from a guy who hasn’t drank much at all for the last 15-years.

Quick question..... I was told that once opened, a bottle of Agave Spirit should be drank within 1-2 months or oxidation / evaporation will remove the flavor. Is this true....?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WOAFP] [#3]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
Thank you for that recommendation. I will look for it today. Currently I have (7) bottles of mezcal and the one tequila that are getting packed to take home with me. (I know ....those are rookie numbers - but it’s about $800 of liquor in 3-days of shopping). And this from a guy who hasn’t drank much at all for the last 15-years.

Quick question..... I was told that once opened, a bottle of Agave Spirit should be drank within 1-2 months or oxidation / evaporation will remove the flavor. Is this true....?
View Quote

Not even kind of true.

Spirits change with air. A month or two from when you open it, it may taste different, but rarely is that change for the worse. I've found over the years that most get better with air and time.

To expand even further on that the laws (NOMs) for tequila and mezcal both have classifications for glass aging the spirit. This is done in large glass demijohns without a top on left to allow a little air to interact with it for a few months to up to a decade for some special bottlings, or even sometimes sealed for the same amount of time. I've found that some bottles I don't like when I first get them, I really like near the bottom of the bottle

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
"It is with a sense of shock and a heavy heart that we must share with you, our friends and supporters that Aquilino García López, the patriarch of Mezcal Vago passed away unexpectedly last night.

To those in the mezcal community, he was an absolute legend. To a lucky few, he was a friend. To us, he was Don Aquilino, “el maestro,” and a treasure of a human being. Aquilino was the epitome of the heart, the care, and wisdom that we all have come to treasure about this incredible liquid that brings us together and gives us a community. For many of us, Aquilino and his mezcal were the ones warmly pulling back the curtain and inviting us in.

When you sip your next copita with those friends, please take a moment to look around and enjoy the company you are in, and give a thought to Don Aquilino. He will be missed."

Really upsetting news from Mezcal Vago from last night. If see see anything from Aquilino, I can't recommend enough that you grab one and try it. Aquilino was a great guy who was so happy to be back in his home and bringing his boys back home to do what their family had done for generations. Never stop appreciating the people around you.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WOAFP:
Minero is always classic. Sad to see it getting so hard to find lately.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20200317_212621-1321044.jpg
View Quote
I've seen it sitting on my local stores shelf for a while now, ill have to pick it up today if they still have it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
WOAFP.......looking for some suggestions for a mezcal or traditionally made tequila. Something with some flavor....and not overly distilled.

What would you suggest that isn't too hard to find?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
These guys looked ignored in the store shelf for at least a couple months, so I guess they followed me home.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
WOAFP.......looking for some suggestions for a mezcal or traditionally made tequila. Something with some flavor....and not overly distilled.

View Quote

@imq707s

For tequila my basic recommendations are: not in any order of preference
Fortaleza (any of the 4 or 5 varieties blanco, repo, anejo, extra anejo, winter blend)
El Tesoro (any of the 6 varieties)
Siempre
Siete Leguas
Tapatio (the blanco or 110, not the repo)
Elvela
tequila ocho
Pasote
G4
Olmeca Altos (mostly for cocktails, but super cheap and still traditionally made and flavorful)
Cascahuin
calle 23

My Mezcal basic recommendations are:
Del Maguey Chichicapa, minero, or tobala (not VIDA it is a cocktail mezcal and not too enjoyable for sipping alone)
Ray campero espadin
Anything from El Jolgorio
Mezcal Vago anything from any 5 of their producers. Aquilino just passed away and his stuff is amazing. You will see different color labels, its a different color for each distiller
Real minero can do no wrong
Banhez espadin barril ensamble
Bozal Ensamble
Nuestra Soledad (any of the 7 villages)

These are my basics that can be found in a lot of states. I'm always happy to help out too, if you want to link a store or shoot me a picture of their agave section, I can give some better recommendations if they have things priced in a stupid way.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By slabertooch:
These guys looked ignored in the store shelf for at least a couple months, so I guess they followed me home.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200617_161435_jpg-1465620.JPG
View Quote

That would be from 5 years ago and they've both taken a price hike since then, so good grab if they didn't run you too much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]

That would be from 5 years ago and they've both taken a price hike since then, so good grab if they didn't run you too much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200617_161435_jpg-1465620.JPG

Less than $60 each, about what I pay for a decent birthday bourbon, so they'll be birthday mezcal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Less than $60 each, about what I pay for a decent birthday bourbon, so they'll be birthday mezcal.
View Quote

oh man. both of those are $80+ most places now. That's a great deal. Minero has hit allocation in a few states too.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]

@imq707s

Fortaleza (any of the 4 or 5 varieties blanco, repo, anejo, extra anejo, winter blend)
Siempre
Siete Leguas
Elvela
tequila ocho
Pasote
G4
Olmeca Altos (mostly for cocktails, but super cheap and still traditionally made and flavorful)
Cascahuin
calle 23

Del Maguey Chichicapa, minero, or tobala (not VIDA it is a cocktail mezcal and not too enjoyable for sipping alone)
Ray campero espadin
Mezcal Vago anything from any 5 of their producers. Aquilino just passed away and his stuff is amazing. You will see different color labels, its a different color for each distiller
Bozal Ensamble

These are my basics that can be found in a lot of states. I'm always happy to help out too, if you want to link a store or shoot me a picture of their agave section, I can give some better recommendations if they have things priced in a stupid way.

View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will have to search some of those out!

The local store got some stuff in they said was good....Mi Campo.  Is that stuff junk, or worth checking out?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]

oh man. both of those are $80+ most places now. That's a great deal. Minero has hit allocation in a few states too.

View All Quotes

Great, just when I thought tatering was limited to bourbon...

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will have to search some of those out!

The local store got some stuff in they said was good....Mi Campo.  Is that stuff junk, or worth checking out?
View Quote

So, I have some friends that like it, but I try not support the distillery who makes it, so have never had it. They are Nom 1137 and are just a really massive industrial facility that just sells to whoever wants to bottle it. So not really what I like to look for or buy from
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Great, just when I thought tatering was limited to bourbon...

View Quote

Ha! It's everything. Rum, agave spirits, cognacs, scotch. All spirits are stupid popular right now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:01:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#16]
"It is with a sense of shock and a heavy heart that we must share with you, our friends and supporters that Aquilino García López, the patriarch of Mezcal Vago passed away unexpectedly last night.

To those in the mezcal community, he was an absolute legend. To a lucky few, he was a friend. To us, he was Don Aquilino, “el maestro,” and a treasure of a human being. Aquilino was the epitome of the heart, the care, and wisdom that we all have come to treasure about this incredible liquid that brings us together and gives us a community. For many of us, Aquilino and his mezcal were the ones warmly pulling back the curtain and inviting us in.

When you sip your next copita with those friends, please take a moment to look around and enjoy the company you are in, and give a thought to Don Aquilino. He will be missed."

Really upsetting news from Mezcal Vago from last night. If see see anything from Aquilino, I can't recommend enough that you grab one and try it. Aquilino was a great guy who was so happy to be back in his home and bringing his boys back home to do what their family had done for generations. Never stop appreciating the people around you.

View Quote

Picked up 2 of them, since I only saw it at one place. Usually when I go there it remains untouched. Today a few of his bottles were gone, I grabbed 2, 1 left on the shelf. Sorry my pics suck, phone camera is broken.

Label info for those who care:

ETA: Just found a YT video with The Man himself, thought it would be appropriate.
Mezcal Matters: Interview with Mezcal Vago's Aquilino Garcia Lopez
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Picked up 2 of them, since I only saw it at one place. Usually when I go there it remains untouched. Today a few of his bottles were gone, I grabbed 2, 1 left on the shelf. Sorry my pics suck, phone camera is broken.
https://i.ibb.co/r049TyN/20200621-144551.jpg

Label info for those who care:
https://i.ibb.co/pJ1s0tP/20200621-144614.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/RHKmMt1/20200621-144618.jpg

ETA: Just found a YT video with The Man himself, thought it would be appropriate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaPxDey_eg
View Quote

The elote is really good and very interesting. It's actually made with corn added into the distillate on the second run through the still, which just adds this nice sweet cream flavor on top of the wild agave notes.

Aquilino was one of a kind. He spoke a lot about how he had been to the US several times working as a migrant worker illegally, and hated it. Hated being a criminal. Hated being treated like a slave, and how he hated that his boys were still doing it. So when he pushed Judah to create Mezcal Vago, he brought his boys home. He taught them the trade of his family and their ancestors. He helped improve the village they live in and brought money into the schools. He was one of the good guys in this world.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 10:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#18]

The elote is really good and very interesting. It's actually made with corn added into the distillate on the second run through the still, which just adds this nice sweet cream flavor on top of the wild agave notes.

Aquilino was one of a kind. He spoke a lot about how he had been to the US several times working as a migrant worker illegally, and hated it. Hated being a criminal. Hated being treated like a slave, and how he hated that his boys were still doing it. So when he pushed Judah to create Mezcal Vago, he brought his boys home. He taught them the trade of his family and their ancestors. He helped improve the village they live in and brought money into the schools. He was one of the good guys in this world.
View Quote

Yes, the corn jumped out right away. On the nose it was corn forward, with smoked chipotle, underneath that was the fruityness and vegetal notes. Tasted exactly how it smelled with a nice sweetness to it. I think it would go great with savory meat or a good BBQ.

Bozal Ensemble was quite reminiscent of the Elote, but not quite as intense. Very grassy and earthy. Was my least favorite of the three.

Bozal Cuishe I really liked. It had more of the tequila flavors I like, and was quite refreshing. It constantly changed on the palate and was quite an experience. Definitely going to go back and grab a couple more bottles if they're the same lot #.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Yes, the corn jumped out right away. On the nose it was corn forward, with smoked chipotle, underneath that was the fruityness and vegetal notes. Tasted exactly how it smelled with a nice sweetness to it. I think it would go great with savory meat or a good BBQ.

Bozal Ensemble was quite reminiscent of the Elote, but not quite as intense. Very grassy and earthy. Was my least favorite of the three.

Bozal Cuishe I really liked. It had more of the tequila flavors I like, and was quite refreshing. It constantly changed on the palate and was quite an experience. Definitely going to go back and grab a couple more bottles if they're the same lot #.
View Quote

I think that's my favorite thing about mezcal. They are all so different. I try to go into every one of them with an open mind, because I have no idea what it might taste like.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Stopped by one of our bigger liquor stores in the area, there collection of tequila covers 7 levels of shelving along a 20 foot section of a wall, its pretty impressive.

The mezcal collection is a small end piece that might be 2424", and almost empty.  I was talking to one of the employees, he said he won't order any more mezcal, it doesn't move at all, but he will order individual bottles.

Picked up 2 of these guys at a pretty good discount, there were still 3 left on the bottom shelf.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Stopped by one of our bigger liquor stores in the area, there collection of tequila covers 7 levels of shelving along a 20 foot section of a wall, its pretty impressive.

The mezcal collection is a small end piece that might be 2424", and almost empty.  I was talking to one of the employees, he said he won't order any more mezcal, it doesn't move at all, but he will order individual bottles.

Picked up 2 of these guys at a pretty good discount, there were still 3 left on the bottom shelf.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200624_134006_jpg-1474962.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200624_134019_jpg-1474963.JPG
View Quote

oh man. I'd love to know where this might be if they have that much tequila. It would be cool to search through their collection.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]

oh man. I'd love to know where this might be if they have that much tequila. It would be cool to search through their collection.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200624_134006_jpg-1474962.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200624_134019_jpg-1474963.JPG

Its in Southeast-ish NY, but tell you what, ill take a couple pictures the next time I'm there and post them.  I don't get over there often, but I'll try to remember.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Its in Southeast-ish NY, but tell you what, ill take a couple pictures the next time I'm there and post them.  I don't get over there often, but I'll try to remember.
View Quote

That would be awesome! There are some older tequilas not made anymore I'm always looking for.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Happy Father's Day to me!  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#25]

@imq707s

Siempre
Siete Leguas
Elvela
tequila ocho
Pasote
G4
Cascahuin
calle 23

Ray campero espadin
Bozal Ensamble

View All Quotes

@imq707s

Siempre
Siete Leguas
Elvela
tequila ocho
Pasote
G4
Cascahuin
calle 23

Ray campero espadin
Bozal Ensamble

great list.  Have you ever tried Sol de Mexico?  Made by the same distillery as Corrido.  A really nice reposado. It's not Siete or Fortaleza, but it's also half the price.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JLH3:

great list.  Have you ever tried Sol de Mexico?  Made by the same distillery as Corrido.  A really nice reposado. It's not Siete or Fortaleza, but it's also half the price.
View Quote

I didn't love it for the price I've found it at (usually around $55+ in my travels). It's sits way above tesoro price on a repo but isn't as agave forward which makes it a tough buy for me. Tequila prices are super weird though. Some states things are way more or way less.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Nice! Nothing beats good nope for a gift.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Both 2015 harvest la latilla. Fun way to compare aging on agave.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]

I didn't love it for the price I've found it at (usually around $55+ in my travels). It's sits way above tesoro price on a repo but isn't as agave forward which makes it a tough buy for me. Tequila prices are super weird though. Some states things are way more or way less.
View All Quotes

$55?  I wouldn't buy it for that price either. I can get it for around $27.  $55 and you're in the Siete, Fortaleza or Casa Noble range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]

$55?  I wouldn't buy it for that price either. I can get it for around $27.  $55 and you're in the Siete, Fortaleza or Casa Noble range.
View Quote

yeah, its crazy how much it varies. A buddy and i were having a conversation about pasote vs teremana. For him teremana was $30 and pasote is only $36, so he would rather  grab pasote for cheap house mix. for me teremana is $25 and pasote is $48, so it's a totally different conversation. Pasote is better, but not twice as good for a house tequila.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting, I picked up a second bottle of Del Maguey Chichicapa and noticed when I got home that the bottle labeling was different, as well as the importer and ALC by Volume (48% vs 46%)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
@WOAFP

Happened to be by there to pick up some party supplies.  20 foot may have been a bit of an over estimation on my part, but close enough.  They also have some of the pricier stuff like Clase Azul in display cases up front.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Stock is a little lighter than usual, the Fortezala is usually stacked at least 3 deep when I've been there in the past.

The meager Mezcal collection.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Binny's by me has this on clearance for $99.

Sorry this one sucks, it doesn't get any better on my phone. You can still kind of make out what it says, but you might kill your eyes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#34]
@WOAFP

Happened to be by there to pick up some party supplies.  20 foot may have been a bit of an over estimation on my part, but close enough.  They also have some of the pricier stuff like Clase Azul in display cases up front.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/20200630_184712_jpg-1484084.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/20200630_184857_jpg-1484086.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/20200630_184919_jpg-1484087.JPG

Stock is a little lighter than usual, the Fortezala is usually stacked at least 3 deep when I've been there in the past.

The meager Mezcal collection.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/20200630_184728_jpg-1484094.JPG
View Quote

Thank you so much! I don't see anything calling my name but I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Binny's by me has this on clearance for $99.
https://i.ibb.co/XW4Tk88/20200703-205511-HDR.jpg

Sorry this one sucks, it doesn't get any better on my phone. You can still kind of make out what it says, but you might kill your eyes.
https://i.ibb.co/dWFv94Q/20200703-205542-HDR.jpg
View Quote

You don't get much better than real minero
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I found this thread from the one posted a while back in GD.

Yesterday I was the liquor store getting my wife a bottle of Hendricks Gin ( I hate Gin), and when I went through the tequila section I passed by the Jose Cuervo and Patron for a bottle of this:

Attachment Attached File

I enjoyed it last night.  Mostly this will be for cocktails, but I enjoyed drinking it straight.  Going to shop for more off the recommended list.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
I found this thread from the one posted a while back in GD.

Yesterday I was the liquor store getting my wife a bottle of Hendricks Gin ( I hate Gin), and when I went through the tequila section I passed by the Jose Cuervo and Patron for a bottle of this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/314595/D89E9283-8E88-4B3D-A6F1-E955CB818E9A_jpe-1489666.JPG

I enjoyed it last night.  Mostly this will be for cocktails, but I enjoyed drinking it straight.  Going to shop for more off the recommended list.
View Quote

Altos is awesome for being as cheap as it is and not going the way of using diffusers or column stills. It's still made in a really traditional way even though it's cheap. It's not the best, but I really like supporting them for doing it right.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
So cracked one of the bottles this afternoon and this was my first experience with Mezcal, and nothing like I was expecting.

First smell after the opening was significant smokiness, along with a very strong smokey flavor as well.  First portions out of the bottle were very pronounced and a bit of a dry finish.  It has mellowed a bit as I've gone through the bottle, but this is amazing stuff and nothing at all like tequila; in all actuality, it reminds me, mostly the smokiness, of some of the Auchentoshan whiskies I have had in the past.

I can't wait to try some other brands.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#39]
So cracked one of the bottles this afternoon and this was my first experience with Mezcal, and nothing like I was expecting.

First smell after the opening was significant smokiness, along with a very strong smokey flavor as well.  First portions out of the bottle were very pronounced and a bit of a dry finish.  It has mellowed a bit as I've gone through the bottle, but this is amazing stuff and nothing at all like tequila; in all actuality, it reminds me, mostly the smokiness, of some of the Auchentoshan whiskies I have had in the past.

I can't wait to try some other brands.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228109/PSX_20200704_181928_jpg-1490151.JPG
View Quote

You have to like scotch to like mescals. I like a lot of booze but could never get into scotch (which has saved me a lot of money LOL). So as much as I love tequila, I've never developed a taste for mescal.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#40]
Found the blanco to my reposado. 2017 Las Aguilas Estate bottlings. I'll have to do a side-by-side whenever I get around to cracking the blanco open. I was quite surprised how much I liked the reposado . Hopefully will have some glassware other than glencairns by then.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Found the blanco to my reposado. 2017 Las Aguilas Estate bottlings. I'll have to do a side-by-side whenever I get around to cracking the blanco open. I was quite surprised how much I liked the reposado . Hopefully will have some glassware other than glencairns by then.
https://i.ibb.co/2MdqDr9/20200705-120521.jpg
View Quote

That's awesome! It's really fun to be able to just isolate the impact of the barrel and nothing else. For ocho that means that batch was harvested, roasted, fermented, and distilled together.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Just received my two Jarrito nosing glasses made by Stölzle. They're relatively new (2017 I believe) to the scene and are supposed to be designed specifically for nosing agave spirits. They have 2 versions; one for tequila or 35-45 abv, and a wider mouthed version for mezcal or high proof stuff.

I got 2 of the wide mouth mezcal version. They were a staggering $30 a piece, but consider they're hand blown crystal and are not a standard production piece or even listed on Stölzle website. They came tissue wrapped in these black tubes with metal lids. I will soon do a comparison between these and glencairns. It will be interesting to see how this affects nosing and taste.

Now, I thought I was buying the version for tequila, but ended up receiving the wider mouth mezcal version which I'm actually very happy about. These things are really freaking hard to come by. The 2 places selling them online are always out of stock. I waited 4 months after signing up for a mailing list to get an in stock notification and then they only had 4 . But seeing as how these are handblown and not part of a normal production, it kinda makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Just received my two Jarrito nosing glasses made by Stölzle. They're relatively new (2017 I believe) to the scene and are supposed to be designed specifically for nosing agave spirits. They have 2 versions; one for tequila or 35-45 abv, and a wider mouthed version for mezcal or high proof stuff.

I got 2 of the wide mouth mezcal version. They were a staggering $30 a piece, but consider they're hand blown crystal and are not a standard production piece or even listed on Stölzle website. They came tissue wrapped in these black tubes with metal lids. I will soon do a comparison between these and glencairns. It will be interesting to see how this affects nosing and taste.
https://i.ibb.co/D7TBsQ8/20200707-225437.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/PmypJHJ/20200707-225503.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/9GWtFbg/20200707-225713-HDR.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/tQDbpth/20200707-230804.jpg

Now, I thought I was buying the version for tequila, but ended up receiving the wider mouth mezcal version which I'm actually very happy about. These things are really freaking hard to come by. The 2 places selling them online are always out of stock. I waited 4 months after signing up for a mailing list to get an in stock notification and then they only had 4 . But seeing as how these are handblown and not part of a normal production, it kinda makes sense.
View Quote

I've met the rep involved with these. He's out of Austin and will casually show up to big agave shops or tasting. A buddy of mine that works out there really loves those glasses, and even likes them better than the D&L agave glasses, which is saying a lot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#44]

I've met the rep involved with these. He's out of Austin and will casually show up to big agave shops or tasting. A buddy of mine that works out there really loves those glasses, and even likes them better than the D&L agave glasses, which is saying a lot.
View Quote

I had to look up D&L Agave glass, but I see you've posted pictures with them. How long have those been around? Everytime I look up tequila glasses I get copitas and shot glasses. They make you dig for the good stuff apparently.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Alright. Grabbed some pure agave nerd bait today in Minnesota. Pretty amped about these.

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Alright. This trip got out of hand.

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Alright. This trip got out of hand.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20200715_210324-1507043.jpg

View Quote

Tequila Ocho is great juice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Tequila Ocho is great juice.
View Quote

Everything that family touches is gold. Carlos at la Altena makes all the ocho, the tesoro, and tapatio
His brother at pandillo makes G4, Volan, and Pasote

Just can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Everything that family touches is gold. Carlos at la Altena makes all the ocho, the tesoro, and tapatio
His brother at pandillo makes G4, Volan, and Pasote

Just can't go wrong.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

How much the the Tears of Llorona cost? I'd love to get a bottle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#50]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif
How much the the Tears of Llorona cost? I'd love to get a bottle.
View Quote

I got lucky. It was only $180. It's usually around $250 which I don't know if I would pay for it. It's good, but that's a big ask.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top