Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:29:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WOAFP:

The booze world is small. You showed me something I wanted and I had to have it.
View Quote

Knowledge is power.  I didn’t know.
But I’m glad that you are getting it. And that I was able to discover it for you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]

I want to tell myself I'm immediately going to open it like my other rare stuff but this one is going to be hard to open at first. Might have to wait for an important anniversary or milestone birthday
View Quote

I think that the point of purchasing premium spirits is to enjoy them more than having a trophy.

My best bottles were opened and tasted shortly after I bought them and I wouldn't change it.  

Perhaps you have a toast with your inner circle  to celebrate your move overseas and another on a milestone event or when you return to the states?

On a related note, I have been to several places in asia for business and loved it, but have never made it to Korea.  I have heard nothing but good about it and I wish you well on your new adventure .
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Spirits are made to be consumed and enjoyed.  I've never understood the concept of having a trophy bottle.  The trophy is the experience on the palate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WOAFP] [#4]
Originally Posted By clindt:
Spirits are made to be consumed and enjoyed.  I've never understood the concept of having a trophy bottle.  The trophy is the experience on the palate.
View Quote

I definitely agree. Some of them it's more about timing for me. I have tons of rare bottles open and enjoyed. One like this 8/8/8 is one that feels like a celebration to open. So it's more likely to be held back for my 20th anniversary or something. Most of the people I know that never open things it's because they view them as investments to resell later.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Love this thread! I’ve read every post!

I’ve seen a recipe or two, but can you list a few of your most favorite mezcal cocktail,recipes?

One of my favorites is the Saturn, but replace the gin with mezcal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:
Love this thread! I’ve read every post!

I’ve seen a recipe or two, but can you list a few of your most favorite mezcal cocktail,recipes?

One of my favorites is the Saturn, but replace the gin with mezcal.
View Quote

honestly, I have to default to you guys for cocktails. I'm prone to making a lazy mezcal marg or paloma, but am a horrible bartender.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been making a variation of a mule using blanco tequila and I think it tastes pretty good.  The recipe varies sometimes depending on what I have, but typically I do the following:

1.5 oz blanco tequila
0.5 oz Triple Sec
Juice from 1/4 lime
Put in tall glass over ice, fill with 1/2 ginger beer and 1/2 soda water and stir to mix.

The blanco could probably be swapped out with Mezcal, and sometimes I might pour a little extra tequila in my glass.  The lime juice is really important, otherwise the drink tastes too sweet for me.

If I don't have ginger beer, I'll do the same thing but just with soda and more lime juice.  I think that's closer to a ranch water
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZGR:
I've been making a variation of a mule using blanco tequila and I think it tastes pretty good.  The recipe varies sometimes depending on what I have, but typically I do the following:

1.5 oz blanco tequila
0.5 oz Triple Sec
Juice from 1/4 lime
Put in tall glass over ice, fill with 1/2 ginger beer and 1/2 soda water and stir to mix.

The blanco could probably be swapped out with Mezcal, and sometimes I might pour a little extra tequila in my glass.  The lime juice is really important, otherwise the drink tastes too sweet for me.

If I don't have ginger beer, I'll do the same thing but just with soda and more lime juice.  I think that's closer to a ranch water
View Quote

That sounds super refreshing
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
My next self-generated tequila mission is to take on learning the differences between highland and lowland tequilas.
View Quote

It's a fun road to explore, but i'm not entirely convinced its as consistent as people like to pretend. The hand of the maker and their processes seem to be the ultimate deciding factor more than any other detail. Not to mention that with the growing ranges of blue weber being so huge, there are valley agave that get more rain than others and highland agave that get much less than the rest. This changes the plants growth and the sugar content.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Concur.

Plus I don’t know if my palate is developed enough to discern the difference.

My plan was to find distilleries at the extremes of the ranges (highest high and lowest low) and start from there.
View Quote

The most in your face are El tesoro vs fortaleza. both copper pot still, stone crushed, brick oven roasted. One highland the other lowland. It removes as many other variables as you can
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the pooches took a one way trip to the vet today, so tonight we're having a pour of the Tears of Llorona to celebrate the life of a dog.  If you're partaking tonight please lift a glass for her.

She was basically a foster, an older dog whose owner died of cancer so we took care of her for a couple years until she could go back to him.  Not very bright but the sweetest of girls.

Adios Sweet Pea, say hi to your daddy for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Elvis121:
One of the pooches took a one way trip to the vet today, so tonight we're having a pour of the Tears of Llorona to celebrate the life of a dog.  If you're partaking tonight please lift a glass for her.

She was basically a foster, an older dog whose owner died of cancer so we took care of her for a couple years until she could go back to him.  Not very bright but the sweetest of girls.

Adios Sweet Pea, say hi to your daddy for me.
View Quote

Sorry, Elvis! I'll toast the good stuff to sweet pea!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
So Vago was bought out by Heaven Hill? :(
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:
So Vago was bought out by Heaven Hill? :(
View Quote

And tequila ocho.

I hope they just leave them be to run themselves but we'll have to wait and see
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#21]
This restaurant has an amazing collection of top-shelf tequila….pics only show about 1/2- of the tequila… Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#22]
Local Hy-Vee had (3) bottles of Tequila Ocho in stock at $59.99….I didn’t want to not have some on the shelf so grabbed one. The Manager said good grab because he suspects with the buyout it may get more expensive or they might change it somehow but for sure he thinks it will be harder to get for awhile. When i got to the counter it rang up $44.99…. Operative word here is  they “had” 3- bottles.

ETA : stopped by another place and (2) of these have been sitting on the shelf for a looong time. Apparently they were marked down yesterday
Attachment Attached File

Also this is $100 off regular price at $199….,any good…?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a spam email from Asombroso

I have not seen anything from Asombroso locally.
Are their tequilas any good ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
Local Hy-Vee had (3) bottles of Tequila Ocho in stock at $59.99….I didn’t want to not have some on the shelf so grabbed one. The Manager said good grab because he suspects with the buyout it may get more expensive or they might change it somehow but for sure he thinks it will be harder to get for awhile. When i got to the counter it rang up $44.99…. Operative word here is  they “had” 3- bottles.

ETA : stopped by another place and (2) of these have been sitting on the shelf for a looong time. Apparently they were marked down yesterday
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/BE3A5DC7-BCC5-4898-A818-5F5F62D86185_jpe-2271800.JPG

Also this is $100 off regular price at $199….,any good…?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/73A678F0-C957-471A-A848-6CAC8FC55080_jpe-2271797.JPG
View Quote

Awesome choice on the ocho, but I would be cleaning out those marca negra in a heartbeat at that price!

Skip the codigo. It's not terrible tequila but not good enough to justify the celebrity pricetag.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Finally seeing Bozal in our State. . Also some other items I’ve never seen before. I guess we are growing up. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#26]

oh man, some awesome options. Flor Del Desierto is a great sotol if you've not tried much from the category yet, and its always priced fairly well. Las Perlas is a good bridge in between mezcal and tequila, and really fruity and flavorful. The Macurichos just started hitting the markets recently, but i'm super impressed with all three i have. The rabbit pechuga right there (espadin conejo) is really good. La medida, that tobala is a buddy's favorite. I had it ranked around 3rd out of 10. Banhez is a classic low priced mezcal that is solid as a mixer for cocktails or sipping. The 1 liter bottle makes it easier to not feel bad at the price for cocktails. And bozal, i really enjoy as long as it isnt their Karwinskii varieties.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#28]
Had to make a run into the Denver area and had time to hit a couple of Shops…..this was my small (but hopefully tasty) haul…. I’ve never seen the Correlejo extra anejo  - ever - so was really excited to try it. Just got back from a 610-mile drive (8-1/2 hours) and opened that one up. Tasting notes:

Nose is much ethanol and a bit of wood and cooked agave. Tastes very bourbon-like and quite a bite all the way to the finish. Very woody but crisp and a mild spice. Can’t really give it a thorough review……I’m quite tired from the drive and only about 3-hours sleep. I look forward to letting it have some air-time to get at the full flavor of the recipe. New bottle and all its a bit “bitey”…

Oh yes…..my first bottles of paradiso  and FortalezaAttachment Attached File
. Looking forward to them….Also that bottle of Mal deAmor was a recommendation by the shop keep…..hopefully it’s worth the price tag. The Maestro Dobel EA is a barrel-pick aged in French/Hungarian barrels.  Should be interesting…..
One last thing ……I don’t see the Avion 44 talked about here….. but I had a chance to taste some and, well …..liked it enough to spend $120 on a bottle….
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not a huge tequila guy but someone posted about this in GD a while ago, and so I ran into it at a bar in San Francisco last Summer and gave it a try.  It was indeed very good, and I've been on the lookout for it since.  Utah and Idaho have somewhat limited selections, while in Honolulu last week I found a bottle.  I picked up a cheap hardsided suitcase at Ross and packed it full of dirty undies, and the bottle survived the trip home.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Bozal Karwinskii varieties to avoid are ...

Cuishe,
Tobasiche,
Madrecuishe ???
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
I'm not a huge tequila guy but someone posted about this in GD a while ago, and so I ran into it at a bar in San Francisco last Summer and gave it a try.  It was indeed very good, and I've been on the lookout for it since.  Utah and Idaho have somewhat limited selections, while in Honolulu last week I found a bottle.  I picked up a cheap hardsided suitcase at Ross and packed it full of dirty undies, and the bottle survived the trip home.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1645388186300-2286837.jpg
View Quote

Good for you. Had my first tasting of that stuff…..very amazing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone tried the various Corazon expressions aged in the famous bourbon casks….seem kind of  a gimmicky approach but then again.,..
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By F1PRB22:
Bozal Karwinskii varieties to avoid are ...

Cuishe,
Tobasiche,
Madrecuishe ???
View Quote

I know some people who have loved them, they just aren't for me. That covers all the main karwinskiis I know of from them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1645388186300-2286837.jpg
View Quote

Actually just opened a new bottle of this today for someone who swore they didn't like XA tequilas. Think I might have changed their mind there
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone tried the various Corazon expressions aged in the famous bourbon casks….seem kind of  a gimmicky approach but then again.,..
View Quote

They are fine, but dont expect much influence of the whiskies they are referencing or a great tequila. I'd divert the cash to something that stacks up better as what it's supposed to be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
So I just got back from Total Wine.  Incredible store, but I feel dirty (David Trone is a raging lib).  Anyway, a couple ARF threads got me shopping.  Picked up a bottle of Tequila Ocho, Flor de Cana 12, Antica formula vermouth, and Hadley&sons gin.  When I showed your recommended list of tequila and Mezcals  to the salesman he said “holy shit this guy has really good taste “.  He also mentioned that unfortunately a lot of your selections go against what’s really popular now (flavors sweet etc.).
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
So I just got back from Total Wine.  Incredible store, but I feel dirty (David Trone is a raging lib).  Anyway, a couple ARF threads got me shopping.  Picked up a bottle of Tequila Ocho, Flor de Cana 12, Antica formula vermouth, and Hadley&sons gin.  When I showed your recommended list of tequila and Mezcals  to the salesman he said “holy shit this guy has really good taste “.  He also mentioned that unfortunately a lot of your selections go against what’s really popular now (flavors sweet etc.).
View Quote

I always feel the same way shopping from total wine. I hate that guy, but the selection is crazy. You won't be disappointed in Ocho. Incredible stuff. I'm curious where things  will be with the new distillery.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone tried the various Corazon expressions aged in the famous bourbon casks.seem kind of  a gimmicky approach but then again.,..
View Quote
One of my local stores had a bunch of the repo aged in Buffalo Trace barrels.  It was ok, not remarkable.  I think I ended up using it to make ranch waters to finish it off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked this up at the duty free on our way home from Mexico. I hope it’s good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#41]
@WOAFP

What is the lowdown with all of the tequila that is sold in the souvenir shops?  I had never seen or heard of any of them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#42]
@WOAFP

What is the lowdown with all of the tequila that is sold in the souvenir shops?  I had never seen or heard of any of them.
View Quote

99.5% of them? Mass contract distilled garbage usually as a mixto and bottled at 35-38%abv hoping people will buy it as a souvenir or to tell themselves it has to be better if you buy it in Mexico.

In actuality most good tequila is made for export not domestic consumption or sale. Many top notch brands don't distribute in mexico at all because demand for high end tequila is super low. Wealthy and trendy Mexican people drink a lot for brandy and scotch to show their wealth and to embrace the impression of doing international old money things. This is changing the last couple years, but there still aren't any well made tequilas available in Mexico that aren't just as easy or easier to get in the US
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#43]

99.5% of them? Mass contract distilled garbage usually as a mixto and bottled at 35-38%abv hoping people will buy it as a souvenir or to tell themselves it has to be better if you buy it in Mexico.

In actuality most good tequila is made for export not domestic consumption or sale.
Many top notch brands don't distribute in mexico at all because demand for high end tequila is super low. Wealthy and trendy Mexican people drink a lot for brandy and scotch to show their wealth and to embrace the impression of doing international old money things. This is changing the last couple years, but there still aren't any well made tequilas available in Mexico that aren't just as easy or easier to get in the US
View Quote

Funny how this is true in many countries that export products.  The same can be said for coffee in Colombia.  Every time I go to Colombia, everyone always says how great the coffee must be, while it's not shit, the better coffee is exported.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By chriscamilo:

Funny how this is true in many countries that export products.  The same can be said for coffee in Colombia.  Every time I go to Colombia, everyone always says how great the coffee must be, while it's not shit, the better coffee is exported.
View Quote

It makes sense when you think about it. You can sell something locally and compete against products in the 10-15 USD range or you can sell it to an exporter/distributor for $35 to sell for $70 elsewhere. Same with coffee in countries where it grows. Sell 500grams of coffee for $1.50 or to an international distributor for $8.00 who goes on to sell it for $20.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I picked this up at the duty free on our way home from Mexico. I hope it's good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14629/4C04B5D4-5BDA-419E-B050-B866B5218513_jpe-2324569.JPG
View Quote

Crack it open and let us know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Scored this last night by chance... I hope it's good. Never had still strength tequila...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I scored El Tesoro’s offerings very highly in a 10 week / 30 sample blind tasting and have been a fan since.

I picked up a single barrel Dobel Maestro and it’s one of the best $35 liquor bottles I’ve had in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Voland:
Scored this last night by chance... I hope it's good. Never had still strength tequila...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136881/20220330_204928_jpg-2332475.JPG
View Quote

It's hard to go wrong for Fortaleza. That still strength is one of the bottles that brought me back to tequila instead of just drinking mezcals
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WOAFP] [#50]
Hahahah. I know it's not April fool's anymore but was too funny not to share

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top