Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2017 8:26:39 PM EDT
So here in the Wine cellar, we haven't had a good conversation about Mezcal yet. After some "coming to god" moments with tequila as a young and very stupid man, I had written the agave spirits off as the devil's drink. However, I do love booze, so while in Beaumont, TX last month, I figured I would give it another go. With the small amount of whiskey experience I have I knew I liked smokey stuff, so went with Mezcal instead of tequila. Wanted to grab a nice one, and I went with Mezcal Vago Mexicano.

This was phenomenal. Totally different than what I was expected. It's a nice earthy smoke, then a ton of stone fruit, then it vanishes from the tongue. It's light and delicate, and could almost be confused with a young islay, with a hint of sweetness on it. Definitely going to have to try others. What do you guys like?

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No one else likes the devil's elixer? Gotta say, that bottles about half full now, and I've already grabbed a few of the other Vago collection.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had any "primium" mezcal.  Tried it 4 or 5 times in years gone by.  Likely real bottom of the shelf stuff.  Always tasted like dirt to me.  Not kidding or trying to be stupid.  It had a flavor the tasted like freshly turned dirt with a hell of a burn.  Didn't enjoy it ever.  Never got really blasted on it because of the taste.  Glad you enjoy your bottle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had any "primium" mezcal.  Tried it 4 or 5 times in years gone by.  Likely real bottom of the shelf stuff.  Always tasted like dirt to me.  Not kidding or trying to be stupid.  It had a flavor the tasted like freshly turned dirt with a hell of a burn.  Didn't enjoy it ever.  Never got really blasted on it because of the taste.  Glad you enjoy your bottle.
View Quote
You aren't far off with the "taste like dirt". They actually go out with a bunch of mud and grass and bury the pina from the agave as they roast it. So you end up with a ton of organic matter and "earthy" influence. I love peated scotches so much, so this was a natural shift for me I guess.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Went to Mexico with a friend and bought two bottles. Drank one and regretted it for days. In a moment of weakness, went looking for the other. No go. Asked friend if he had seen it. He said he drank it. Best friend ever...
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Went to Mexico with a friend and bought two bottles. Drank one and regretted it for days. In a moment of weakness, went looking for the other. No go. Asked friend if he had seen it. He said he drank it. Best friend ever...
View Quote
I won't drink a whole bottle of anything in a day. That was your problem right there. You have to be careful with anything from Mexico. Make sure it's a company that does standard testing here in the states.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Mezcal, Sotol, and Raicilla are very underrated spirits in most of this country. I love bourbon, but there are a lot of other things out there for people to try and love.

Go to the nicest mexican restaurant in your area, sit at the bar, and ask the bartender to teach you what REAL agave based spirits are supposed to taste like. Jose Cuervo and Patron are out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mezcal, Sotol, and Raicilla are very underrated spirits in most of this country. I love bourbon, but there are a lot of other things out there for people to try and love.

Go to the nicest mexican restaurant in your area, sit at the bar, and ask the bartender to teach you what REAL agave based spirits are supposed to taste like. Jose Cuervo and Patron are out.
View Quote
I'm definitely enjoying these mezcals, and I've always hated most tequila. The most amazing part is how different they can all be without even barrel influence. Just picked up this beauty. The whole batch only yielded 120 bottles.

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My current love affairs are Amorada Anejo tequila, and Flor Del Desierto Sierra Sotol. My Mezcal selection is small, but starting to expand.

The Amorada ages 18 months in a combination of Burgundy, Bourbon, and Cognac barrels. I think it's a Total Wine exclusive outside of Texas.
The Flor Del Desierto is being handled by a VERY small distributor around here, so who knows what availability looks liken in your area.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My current love affairs are Amorada Anejo tequila, and Flor Del Desierto Sierra Sotol. My Mezcal selection is small, but starting to expand.

The Amorada ages 18 months in a combination of Burgundy, Bourbon, and Cognac barrels. I think it's a Total Wine exclusive outside of Texas.
The Flor Del Desierto is being handled by a VERY small distributor around here, so who knows what availability looks liken in your area.
View Quote
I'm actually lucky right now, I'm south of houston right by NASA liquors who has a huge stock of Mezcals. Before my month here is up I'd like to grab 5-10 more to bring home with me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been on a Tequila kick recently and I'm looking at Mezcals now.  Looked at some yesterday in the store but didn't bring one home.  I did bring home a Fortaleza Reposado.

I wish there were more replies regarding Mezcal.  My local store has the Ilegal options and Del Maguey Vida & Chichicapa along with a couple others.  100's of Tequilas but only a handful of Mezcals.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been on a Tequila kick recently and I'm looking at Mezcals now.  Looked at some yesterday in the store but didn't bring one home.  I did bring home a Fortaleza Reposado.

I wish there were more replies regarding Mezcal.  My local store has the Ilegal options and Del Maguey Vida & Chichicapa along with a couple others.  100's of Tequilas but only a handful of Mezcals.
View Quote
It's been a while but I was definitely rushing my way through these back home. It's amazing how much the terroir impacts the taste of them. The chichipa is really good, but I haven't tried the ilegal yet
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a bottle of El Buho mezcal in college.  Bought it because the bottle looked cool, took it to a party and used it as one might use tequila - too many shots.

I thought it was great, had a smokey taste, but still recognizable as booze made from agave.  The company's website has a recommendation for mixing it with orange soda which seems unique.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm really enjoying the Ilegal Mezcal Reposado.  My gf bought a bottle of the Del Maguey Vida.  They're both enjoyable.  The Ilegal Reposado is great. Earthy, smokey, agave, with a hint of sweetness.  It really is like an Islay version of Tequila.  I'm in for a bottle of Chichicapa soon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I was able to try Del Maguey Chichicapa, Del Maguey Pechuga and Alipus San Baltazar at a place in Dallas last night.  All very enjoyable.

The Pechuga was outstanding but I doubt I'll ever drop the $$$ for a bottle.  I'll buy the other two for myself when I have an opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Pechuga is more fun just for the story of why they do the meat.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Only tastes good in cocktails
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
El Tonayan FTMFW! Look up this shit on youtube, its the Steel Reserve/ Four Loko of the motherland!

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gonna have to disagree with you here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
No one has been this wrong since someone thought communism was a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to drink a lot of mezcal. I used to buy each village bottle by Del Maguey each year. Very cool to taste the differences between each. Don Amado mezcal is my go to for solid drinking reasonable cost. The one you picked up is a nice one as well. There are some great mezcal’s out there, go explore!
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
The pechuga are super fun. Its always cool to see what type of meat they put in them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top