Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2017 1:52:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never cared to imbibe spirituous liquors neat. I actually don't like hard liquor at all with the exception of Rum. A good Rum and Coke is a fine beverage and on those rare occasions when I do imbibe, that is what I have. Captain Morgan spiced or Malibu are my preferred brands.

I am sure that there are better selections to be had, but I don't drink frequently so I don't bother to find them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's called whisky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You get it
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Havana Club 7 year (Cuban, not the fake ass Dominican knockoff)

Sang Som, dirt cheap here in Thailand and oh so smooth.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Vizcaya Black
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Inexpensive with good flavor, Bacardi Oakheart, but I only have one shot at a time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big, practiced fan of sipping Tennessee Whiskey neat, and I'm considering buying a "top tier" rum from the ABC store that's touted by the distiller as fine and tasty enough to sip neat.  But I'm a little reluctant because I once sipped Captain Morgan Private Stock neat, and while over the top delicious, it gave me a "please kill me now" hangover.  I understand the CM PS is mid tier, so I'm wondering if any of the really, really fine stuff might fare better re potential hangovers.
View Quote
Ah, I see. Sorry then. I am a troglodyte and of little value to most and none to you. Hopefully a cultured gentleman will be along with a measure of elucidation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Flor de Cana 12yr
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
jon watling's 40 year is AWESOME. but good luck finding it in a store. I still kick my self for not having the money when I visited distillery (and it I lkely toast now as it was in Bahamas)
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Floor de cana blue label
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Floor de cana blue label
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The kirk and sweeny 23 year is fantastic and fairly easy to find. They are also much more transparent in their production than most rum producers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Kraken neat or with a half a lime squeezed over it. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ron Zacapa 23 Year  
View Quote
This is what I like to sip neat usually. Easy to find here in Oregon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Smith and Cross is good. If I'm doing rum it's usually a daiquiri (Hemingway-style, not frozen), but IMO Smith and Cross is good enough to sip neat.  Added bonus, it's not a bank-breaker.

Think of the George Dickel No. 12 of rums.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Clement Rhum 6 and 10 year.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I like zaya, zacapa and diplomatico 12, 15 ^^.  Pyrat isn't too bad but to me it's a little thin and has too much orange zest flavor.

Not a huge rum guy so I have not tried too many to have a very broad knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
The Ron Zacapa 23 is pretty good neat
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Ron Zacapa 23 works.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
papa pilar
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Rum? No sorry, Sobieski vodka and OJ are my goto for no hangovers. Rum and sugar is a killer after age 40 it seems
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
El Dorado 12yr or 15yr
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
El Dorado 12yr or 15yr
View Quote
Those are my favorites, but dang they're getting expensive
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ron Zacapa 23 works.
View Quote
This. As well as Zaya and Kirk & Sweeney.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:45:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Zaya is a great one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I loved my first couple of bottles of Zaya, but not so much anymore.  It's way too sweet for me.
I'm a fan of Zacapa 23, and I'd also recommend Zafra 21years Master Reserve.

I was recently gifted a bottle of The Real McCoy 12 year, but have not cracked it yet.  It's supposed to be good stuff and not artificially sweetened (unlike many / most of the popular rums),  so we'll see.
Update: The Real McCoy is really good.  I'll be adding a bottle or two to the home bar next time I see it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Plantation Barbados Rhum 20th Anniversary XO Extra Old is extraordinary straight.  Pricey, but delicious.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm no rum connoisseur, but I think this stuff is pretty good.

Charboneau in Natchez, MS
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#32]
here you go
Traveller's 1 Barrel Rum, Belize

best sippin' rum for sure
I have read a description of the flavor is like a toasted cashew

Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Appleton Estates 21year is exceedingly good. Around $100 a bottle..
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Black Seal is very sippable for it's low price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything from Diplomatico.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

http://thefatrumpirate.com/flor-de-cana-centenario-18

Toffee, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, hazlenuts and a little touch of tobacco give the Flor de Cana Centenario 18 a sweet but not overly cloying nose.  It’s nicely balanced if just a little on the soft side.  There isn’t much by way of spiciness from the oak. It’s not an aggressive rum.

At 40% ABV Flor De Cana Centenario 18 is a very easy going sipper.  It is not a huge, intense flavour bomb.  It is not “knock your socks off” rum.  What it does deliver however is a very pleasant, reasonably complex sipper.

Flor de Cana Centenario 18 Rum Review by the fat rum pirateFlavourwise if you have enjoyed other Flor de Cana rums then this rum will feel familiar.  It has that nuttiness running through its profile which is so distinct in Flor de Cana products.  All the notes of the nose transfer nicely through when sipped.  It’s not overly sweet and retains a dryness which is particularly good on the finish.

Which is about medium in length but nicely balanced.  There’s a good amount of spiciness and the drying of the mouth is nice and ready’s you nicely for the next sip.

If you are more familiar with the likes of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and/or Zacapa this might be a way of trying an “undoctored” rum.  It’s gentle with a natural and not overpowering sweetness.

It’s quite a light, elegant style of rum very enjoyable.  I’ve found it nice to return to after buying so many cask strength single cask rums lately.  This offers a half way house – it appeals to my sweet tooth whilst retaining plenty genuine rum character.

At a higher ABV say 46% this rum might well be even better.  However Flor de Cana have a system in place so I doubt we will see anything too innovative from them.  They seem happy enough doing what they do
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#37]
7 Fathoms from Grand Cayman...... full flavor with a hint of ocean salt on the finish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked up a bottle of Diplomatico Mantuano today. Sipping it neat right now. Not sure how I feel about it. Might need to try a few more ounces to pass final judgement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Picked up a bottle of Diplomatico Mantuano today. Sipping it neat right now. Not sure how I feel about it. Might need to try a few more ounces to pass final judgement.
View Quote
I'm not a Rum Guy, and when the cigar bar I hang out at had a flight of rum at one of their events I passed when the bartender asked me if I wanted one. Since I usually do like buying flights of booze to try he asked me why and I explained that I drank too much 151 and too many rum and cokes as a kid and I just associated the flavor with a cheap drunk.

The Rep for Diplomatico heard me and said here, try this and gave me a half shot of Ambassador which is $250 a bottle and it didn't taste anything like the Rum I remembered, so I decided to give it a try.

Attachment Attached File

I liked them all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Today (Oct 17) is my oldest daughter's birthday.  Got her a bottle of Bumbu Original.  Very interesting.  There's a banana cream flavor in there.  Kind of nice.  Really smooth.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I almost bought a bottle of this on Friday, but opted instead for Mount Gay XO instead.  Please post an update when you're ready!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Black Seal is very sippable for it's low price.
View Quote
Yup, it sure is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Ron Zacapa XO
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Interesting thread topic...

There is not usually very much discussion on Rum... 

I've got a bottle of some Pyrat XO Reserve that I got a year or so as a gift...  Don't know anything about it, I don't even think we've opened it yet.

Probably not very high end, but guessing a bit better than C.M...

Looks like this...  Cool wood container, the door slides open and closed to pull out the bottle...  I should crack it this weekend and try it out...

**ETA**  I just googled the desc of this..

""Pyrat XO Reserve, a blend of 15 year old Caribbean rums, is expertly crafted for complexity and richness. Thisrum has a rich amber color and layered aromas of caramel, honey, molasses
and orange peel. The palate is delicate, almost sweet, spicy, and
smooth. Product of the British West Indies. Alcohol by Volume: 40%""

What do they mean by a "Blend of Rums"???  Like light, dark, etc, etc??? 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I had some Papa's Pilar dark rum a few weeks ago, pretty good neat, and not that expensive.  I don't even care for rum that much, I prefer bourbon or scotch. Less than $40 around here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What do they mean by a "Blend of Rums"???  Like light, dark, etc, etc??? 
View Quote
Usually that means it was from multiple barrels of 15yr old rum. If you see "Single Barrel" on a description or label, that means it only came from one barrel and usually costs more than blends.

By definition, blending is the art (more than science) of mixing different rums of different types and ages together, and when desired, adding flavoring or coloring agents. Most rums produced in the world are blended after maturation to achieve the particular characteristics desired. Blending usually takes place in very large containers where individual barrels are emptied and mixed together to ensure product consistency. Some distilleries will blend pot still rum and column still rum together to come up with the various products they sell. Other companies will mix column still rums of different ages and styles (some lighter, some heavier) in order to achieve unique flavor profiles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a big fan of Pussers
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Appleton estates 12 year is tasty to sip
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I picked up a couple bottles today.

Zacapa 23 and Flor de Cana 12.

I made the rounds of several liquor stores looking for Bourbon and Rum.

Not a lot of selection of higher end Rum.

I bought a bottle of Zaya 12 a few months ago and liked it.

Looking forward to trying what I picked up today.

I opened the Zacapa and it smelled really good. Will give it a try later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone ever tried this one?

I picked up a bottle of Brugal Extra Viejo last night.
Tried it neat but could not get any of the flavor profiles that they describe (below). The beginning of the taste was a little smoky, brown sugar flavor and then immediately a raw white oak finish and that was the off-flavor that I didn't enjoy. Tasted like I was chewing on a stick of oak. My wife seemed to like it ok but I will have to give it a couple more tries before I make final judgement, possibly with a ice cube or a small splash of water.

Description & details link
Brown rum distilled from fermented molasses. Blend of rums aged up to 8 years in used whisky and bourbon barrels.

The premium rum from the house of Brugal and the most popular premium rum in the Dominican Republic. I enjoy Brugal Extra Viejo on the rocks where the balanced blend of flavors can really be appreciated.

Lots of dark fruit, roasted cashew, cinnamon with overtones of vanilla on the body give way to the slightly viscous smoky finish.

Bottled at 43% alcohol by volume.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top