Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
So I've recently started a whiskey collection, started with bourbons and now starting to add scotch as I think I like it more.

As of now I've tried
Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12 sherry oak
Ardbeg 10
Talisker Storm

What are your favorites?

So far I'm liking the smoke/peat scotchs a little more, although the macallan 12 is very good.

Now the question is where does one go from this point? Well, my plan is to get some scotch to cover most of the basic scotch flavor profiles and just enjoy them.

What would you add next?

My to buy list is
Highland Park 12
Laphroiag 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Oban 14
Balvenie 12 double wood
Lagavulin 16
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd add Oban to your list. 

I had someone recommend Edradour 10 and it was tasty for a $50 scotch. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My daily drinker would be a glenlivet or glenfiddich 12.

Macallan 15 or 21 for special occasions.

I've got a wide variety of different whiskys for different occasions, though, including some snob vintages 37 years old and up.

If I find myself in a first-class lounge, I mix up rusty nails with the Johnny Walker Blue while sipping the macallan (usually 12) neat next to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Oban added to buy list
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Oban 14 is good.  Also Glendronach 12.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Laphroaig 10 is a must.  It's is my go to scotch.  If you like peaty, you need to toss in an Ardbeg.  I recommend Ardbeg Uigeadail.  A lot of other non-Islay distilleries are coming out with peaty expressions, but it is not their main line like the peat monsters of Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Lagavulin.  So, these others are usually nothing special.  Around this time of year, you can look for the Feis Ile festival expressions - Ardbeg Kelpy or Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017 are this year's expressions.  They are NAS (No Age Statement) expressions.  The theme this year seems to be aging in white oak.

Also, I would like to recommend Laphroaig Lore
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Lagavulin and Caol Ila.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a peaty one but excellent every day drinker.

Balvenie 12 Year Doublewood.

$50.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The big daddy of single malts, lagavulin 16.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Oban 14 @ Costco today. I think it was $54.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Dalwhinnie, Glen Moray, Arran, Balvenie and Oban. Those are my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok added a few more to my buy list.

So what about Japanese whiskey. It's kind of based on scotch from a guy who went to study scotch back in the 1800's?

I've never seen any around here so I might have to order online.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok added a few more to my buy list.

So what about Japanese whiskey. It's kind of based on scotch from a guy who went to study scotch back in the 1800's?

I've never seen any around here so I might have to order online.
View Quote
I don't know where you live in Missouri, but I bet  there's a "good" liquor store somewhere within reasonable driving distance.  Hunt around.  Ask around.   Liquor stores remind me of gun stores.  There's good stuff in all of them, but the best ones are run by enthusiasts and have better selections.  

My store will call me if something hard to find comes in, like Blanton's, and put a bottle back for me.   I struggle with whether that's because they're good people or whether I spend too much money in there.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know where you live in Missouri, but I bet  there's a "good" liquor store somewhere within reasonable driving distance.  Hunt around.  Ask around.   Liquor stores remind me of gun stores.  There's good stuff in all of them, but the best ones are run by enthusiasts and have better selections.  

My store will call me if something hard to find comes in, like Blanton's, and put a bottle back for me.   I struggle with whether that's because they're good people or whether I spend too much money in there.  
View Quote
You know the answer.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The big daddy of single malts, lagavulin 16.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20170114-012255-125470.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Auchentoshan Three Wood is a pretty tasty lowland SMS
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I had some Johnny Walker Blue Label the other night. I really enjoyed it, very smooth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
balvenie scotch caribbean cask is what you seek
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
balvenie scotch caribbean cask is what you seek
View Quote
I always have at least one bottle of that in my collection at all times.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Another peat to consider is the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Scottish Barley.  Also, I've been on a Rye whiskey kick lately so I'd add a bottle or two of that to your collection.  Pikesville or Templeton rye are good bottles to have on the shelf.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
My new favorite.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Ardbeg CORRYVRECKAN is my go to. 2 glasses of that then I switch to the 10 year. Yeah I might have a problem so what.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
For the price Laphroaig 10 is damned hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#24]
See if you can find a bottle of Mortlach. That shit is my favorite. Especially cask strength.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had some Aberfelty 18 going recently.  (It may not be available any longer and you may have to get it an an airport in this country)  I got mine from masters of malt.  
It is somewhat like Obans 14 but try it neat first - no water.  It is not a smokey scotch.  They make a 16 year which I also have but have not opened yet.  I have heard the 12 year isn't anything special though so try these I have mentioned first if you are interested.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Make oban 14 a priority.
Add to the list:
Glenlivet founders reserve (replacing the 12yo for them)
Big peat (tastes like smoked ribs). Has a guy with a beard on it.
Glenlivet 18 is nice for a bit extra.
Glenfiddich 15 is good.
Dewars honey is a nice blend.
Not a fan of JW blue, but the double black is great.

If you have a nice whisky bar you can try out a few. It’s easier to spend $20 on a drink and hate it than to blow $80 on a bottle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Another +1 for Oban

Regarding Japanese, Yamazaki 12 is VERY good.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered a bottle of Lagavulin 12 cask strength!
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#29]
My local store has a sale on most wine bottles and a lot of liquor bottles, where you buy one and get the second for a penny. I took the opportunity to buy two bottles of Johnnie Walker Double Black for 50 dollars total.

This is damn good whiskey.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#30]
A while ago, I won a bottle of Don Julio tequila. Since trying that and liking it, my wife bought me a bottle of Casamigos. Well, that bottle is almost gone and I was looking for something else to try. It dawned on me that I have never tried Scotch. Bourbon, yes, but not Scotch. So, last night, we went to the store and I asked the clerk there what was a good bottle to try for a first buy. He said he was a bourbon guy, but he would help me as much as he could. He pointed out some different blends and introduced me to a concept I never heard before, "peated". I thought it was interesting. Also showed me different ages. In the end, I asked for options for someone who never had Scotch and didn't want to be overwhelmed by something I wasn't ready for or understood how it was supposed to be. He showed me 2 bottles, one of which was Glenlivet 12. Made the purchase, along with a bottle of Grey Goose for the wife. Probably going to open it up this week and give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a bottle of Dewars white lable the othe day. One of the less expensive ones but I really liked it. I typically only drink bourbon but will be adding scotch to the mix.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A while ago, I won a bottle of Don Julio tequila. Since trying that and liking it, my wife bought me a bottle of Casamigos. Well, that bottle is almost gone and I was looking for something else to try. It dawned on me that I have never tried Scotch. Bourbon, yes, but not Scotch. So, last night, we went to the store and I asked the clerk there what was a good bottle to try for a first buy. He said he was a bourbon guy, but he would help me as much as he could. He pointed out some different blends and introduced me to a concept I never heard before, "peated". I thought it was interesting. Also showed me different ages. In the end, I asked for options for someone who never had Scotch and didn't want to be overwhelmed by something I wasn't ready for or understood how it was supposed to be. He showed me 2 bottles, one of which was Glenlivet 12. Made the purchase, along with a bottle of Grey Goose for the wife. Probably going to open it up this week and give it a try.
View Quote
Peat is Definetly a new aroma and flavor to the entire body!

If I was giving a dram to a new comer, it would be Oban little bay. I drink with a few guys, and absolutely no one has ever said they couldn't have another Oban. Relatively affordable as well, at 50 or so a bottle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not a peaty one but excellent every day drinker.

Balvenie 12 Year Doublewood.

$50.
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top