Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2016 5:03:12 AM EDT
Has anyone tried any of the shave clubs out there? ie. Dollar shave club, Henry's (or some shit)? I shave my head and do it every two or three days with a Gillette fusion proglide, non-power. Done it for 5 years and the cartridges just keep getting more and more expensive. I think I paid $35 for 8 cartridges at target on sale. I see. Bigger packages around the same price on eBay but figured I'd reach out on the shave clubs to see if they are really worth it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're considering Dollar Shave Club, don't bother. You can get cheaper prices directly from the manufacturer: Dorco.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're considering Dollar Shave Club, don't bother. You can get cheaper prices directly from the manufacturer: Dorco.
View Quote

Personna is another decent "generic" manufacturer.  "Shave clubs" are a middleman between the customer and a generic.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to take a look at the Gillette Guard. Its a good low cost razor that is sold and marketed in India. There are a few US online retailers that have them or you can get them cheaper on ebay from sellers in India.

https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_final_Gillette_Guard.pdf
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Nothing but overpriced rebadged Dorco you could buy cheaper at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might want to take a look at the Gillette Guard. Its a good low cost razor that is sold and marketed in India. There are a few US online retailers that have them or you can get them cheaper on ebay from sellers in India.

https://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/innovation/factsheet_final_Gillette_Guard.pdf
View Quote

That is Gillettes attempt to break multiblades into the huge Indian market where Double Edged Razors are king.

Take a cue from the Indians and learn to use a double edged safety razor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is Gillettes attempt to break multiblades into the huge Indian market where Double Edged Razors are king.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I pay between $12 and $20 for boxes of 100 DE blades. They're so cheap that I use them once on my face, once on my head, and then throw them away. Yes it's wasteful, but it's still way cheaper than those multi-blade disposable razors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you absolutely set on cartridge razors?    If you're not interested in a straight razor or shavette, a Double Edge razor is the next cheapest route.   Similar to a straight razors, DE razors and blades vary wildly in how they perform and if you make a bad combo the resulting shave tends to be an awful experience (razor burn at a minimum...).   I personally like the Gillette Slim Adjustable Razor as it lets me dial in the aggressiveness of the blade (I'm usually set at >7).  It is also worth mentioning that there are several brands of DE blades and their sharpness/performance varies.   Most folks find it a good investment to purchase a combo/assortment pack of blades from an online vendor to try out a few to find one that works best for them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you absolutely set on cartridge razors?    If you're not interested in a straight razor or shavette, a Double Edge razor is the next cheapest route.   Similar to a straight razors, DE razors and blades vary wildly in how they perform and if you make a bad combo the resulting shave tends to be an awful experience (razor burn at a minimum...).   I personally like the Gillette Slim Adjustable Razor as it lets me dial in the aggressiveness of the blade (I'm usually set at >7).  It is also worth mentioning that there are several brands of DE blades and their sharpness/performance varies.   Most folks find it a good investment to purchase a combo/assortment pack of blades from an online vendor to try out a few to find one that works best for them.
View Quote

You're on the high end of the Slim.  If you ever decide you want a newer razor, the Merkur Futur starts around there and goes up to "potato peeler".
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I just started DE shaving. AKA Wet Shaving a couple of months ago.  I will NEVER go back to cartridge razors.   I bought a set on-line with a sampler pack of blades.  A good blade has been lasting about a week.  A poor blade 2 shaves.  (I shave 6-7 times a week.)   There are a ton of options.  I like that my wife likes the different soaps that are available for your face.  It takes a little longer to shave, but well worth it in my opinion.  

Like you I got real tired of paying exorbitant prices for blades that are crappy.  I did the Shave Club thing and their blades are not very good.  I would only use them in a dire emergency.  

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been involved with a shave club, but quit buying cartridge razors going on 6 yrs ago. I ran into a website called Badger and Blade. They are geared towards shaving in general,  but overall "prefer" the old school method.
I shave (primarily) with a straight razor now, but in the beginning started (as did pigmypuncher) with a Gillette Slim Adjustable DE razor. I still use it if time is a factor, as no one would recommend whipping a straight razor around the neckline to save time.
It's certainly not for everyone,  and with the straight's there's a learning curve. That Gillette works great, and if you have some antique stores near you....might get lucky and find one like I did for 5 bucks.
The Badger and Blade has an EE as well, where you can find some nice DE razors for a decent price if you want to get your feet wet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried Dorco and didn't like it much.  Blades didn't last long and seemed cheap.  I tried Harrys and I really like them.  For $10 you get the shaver, two or three cartridges, and a bottle of shave lotion/cream.  The shaver is great quality, feels good in the hand and the cartridges are sharp and last a long time.  When you reorder the cartridges are $2 each with free shipping.  I think they have a club membership thing too, but I just order when needed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Dollar Shave Club has worked for me, same for Dollar Beard Club great advertising, good customer service and shipping. I don't go all out just get some bare minimum stuff, razors and shave  butter, and beard oil from the other.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Hart Steel straight razor, followed by a Merkur 38C with Isralei Personna blades for the trouble spots.

Proraso pre-shave and shaving soap, Nievea post-shave balm, all for sensitive skin. (I get razor burn easy)

With as thick as my facial hair is, I hone the SR about once every 6-8 months, and use one blade in the safety razor per week.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I gifted Harry's to the SO for Christmas. I figured if he hated it, I could always use the razor and blades myself.  He was using a Gillette.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top