Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2016 10:49:49 PM EDT
I'm noticing quite a bit of white build up on my razor, what is the best product / method to clean my razor?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Use 91% alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the blade with one or two squirts every time you shave.  Your razor won't build up stuff and will last a long time.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Kaboom Bath cleaner. It has no bleach in it to harm the nickle finish. I put the razor head down in a plastic cup, spray kaboom and let it soak, scrub gently with a soft tootbrush and rinse. I let it dry and lube the mechanism with mineral oil

Works for me!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice. I'll try both of them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Scrubbing Bubbles tile cleaner is the B&B standard.  Works like a charm, doesn't hurt the plating.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scrubbing Bubbles tile cleaner is the B&B standard.  Works like a charm, doesn't hurt the plating.
View Quote

Hot water and clean cloth to clean and polish it as needed all I use. On a merkur c long handle
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, the Kaboom worked wonders, my 51 year old razor looks almost new again.
Not being familiar with kaboom, it threw me a little when it came out bright blue foam (was expecting 409 ish liquid).
coated all sides of the razor, let sit about 30 minutes then used a GI toothbrush with little to no pressure fast and very easy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Shampoo and an old toothbrush has worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The thing about a toothbrush or rubbing w/ cloth is that some razors, vintage gillettes definitely, tend to have rather thin plating.  Buff it off and the razor gets real ugly real fast.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The thing about a toothbrush or rubbing w/ cloth is that some razors, vintage gillettes definitely, tend to have rather thin plating.  Buff it off and the razor gets real ugly real fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is starting to happen to my favorite red tip and I will be sending it out to Delta Echo razor for a crazy paint job of my choice of colors !!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is starting to happen to my favorite red tip and I will be sending it out to Delta Echo razor for a crazy paint job of my choice of colors !!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AWESOME!

Was thinking about stripping the finish off my cheap travel razor and getting it Cerakoted
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Reading this thread I realized: I have 2 handles that haven't been cleaned in more than a year. I realized I was a disgusting human being.

I used Method Foaming Bathroom Cleaner and scrubbed with a toothbrush and paper towels. The first one I did was my pretty nice nickel plated Mühler. It turned out lookin brand new.

I remembered to take before and after pics of my cheap Chinese travel razor (the site I bought it from listed the plating as "Mythril")

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. That being the case, I should add that my experience was with modern Merkur and Edwin Jagger razors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up. That being the case, I should add that my experience was with modern Merkur and Edwin Jagger razors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not been my experience with using the bleach free bath cleaner and a soft toothbrush...The guy at Razor Emporium has a video about cleaning and uses an AR cleaning brush and a brass brush....I never damaged a razor but as always YMMV
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's not been my experience with using the bleach free bath cleaner and a soft toothbrush...The guy at Razor Emporium has a video about cleaning and uses an AR cleaning brush and a brass brush....I never damaged a razor but as always YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're just using the toothbrush to motivate the crud a little after the bleach free cleaner then yea, it should be ok.  You start bearing down on a vintage gillette with a metallic brush and I don't care if you're the Grand Poobah of the Vatican's Ministry of Depilation, you're going to wear that plating off in no time just like this:

I HAVE damaged a razor this way.    Blew out the original plating on my New but just kept using it anyway as ugly shaves fine.

Now... Newer Jagger razors are also plated brass and Merkurs are plated pot metal.  I don't know how thick, I don't know how durable.  I'd guess it'd be thicker than the old Gillettes and they certainly haven't had 50+ years of banging around to introduce dings and weak spots and wear in the plating.  

YMMV certainly, but I suspect if you're wire brushing your Fat Boy it'll just make mine more valuable.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you're just using the toothbrush to motivate the crud a little after the bleach free cleaner then yea, it should be ok.  You start bearing down on a vintage gillette with a metallic brush and I don't care if you're the Grand Poobah of the Vatican's Ministry of Depilation, you're going to wear that plating off in no time just like this:

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/images/large/vintage-gillette-g3-fatboy-adjustable-safety-razor-plating-loss-close-up-handle.1000.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/reinigung/IMG_4575_zpsad4etpr6.jpg
I HAVE damaged a razor this way.    Blew out the original plating on my New but just kept using it anyway as ugly shaves fine.

Now... Newer Jagger razors are also plated brass and Merkurs are plated pot metal.  I don't know how thick, I don't know how durable.  I'd guess it'd be thicker than the old Gillettes and they certainly haven't had 50+ years of banging around to introduce dings and weak spots and wear in the plating.  

YMMV certainly, but I suspect if you're wire brushing your Fat Boy it'll just make mine more valuable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/images/large/vintage-gillette-g3-fatboy-adjustable-safety-razor-plating-loss-close-up-handle.1000.jpg

I don't use a metal brush on my razors. I soak the razor in the cleaner and then lightly brush the razor clean. The soak cuts the amount of brushing and the amount of time on the razor.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that worn plating or brass transfer? I was cleaning up an antique store Fatboy just like the one in that picture with a brass brush and it did the same thing as picture #1, but after hitting it with some cleaner and polishing it up it went away, like it was no deeper than you'd see on a brass deflector. The second picture is definitely pretty extreme though.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I use, it works great. A soft toothbrush works well for knocking off the gunk and then a terrycloth towel and q-tips to clean it up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
So using an old cotton t shirt to clean the scum off the merkur c is going to wear it down I'm not using a buffing wheel? I like to keep it shiny and new looking.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I put my old (1964)  Gillette Slim Adjustable in the silverware pockets in the dishwasher a couple of times per year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Put razor in a cup, fill with very hot water/boiling, squirt of Dawn soap. Let it sit, then lightly clean with an old soft toothbrush. Mine comes out looking like new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top