Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2016 1:01:55 AM EDT
I bought this creme after hearing Savage pitch it awhile. I really like it, but don't use it quite as directed.

For the first week or so I applied to the skin with my hands as directed. Shave, rewet my hands for more slickness and carried on with another pass.

After reading every thread in this forum I bought a Escali brush and watched lots of YouTube videos on shaving DE.

One vid had a guy lather up lots of things, cremes, soaps, gls, etc in a bowl so I thought I'd see how the Cremo would do.

Suprisingly to me it makes a rather nice lather and shaves just as if as directed, but with no messy hands and the enjoyment of the defoliation. The almond size amount is still plenty for three passes.

I really enjoy this sub forum and half posted this both to see if anyone else has tried this and see if we can attract more posters. I guess at some point all that can be said about shaving, has been.

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been giving it a go for a bit. Really like the lemony scent. Would like to find a similar aftershave. Read on Badger and Blade how it doesn't lather, which is weird because it lathers just fine with my brush and mug.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
After buying my first tube of Cremo I've retired my soaps and brush.
I use it as directed. This stuff is slicker than snot and gives me a closer shave than the brush/soap routine.
I do a three pass shave and the recommended amount is enough for all three.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It's great stuff and lasts a long time.  I don't think I'll use anything else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After buying my first tube of Cremo I've retired my soaps and brush.
I use it as directed. This stuff is slicker than snot and gives me a closer shave than the brush/soap routine.
I do a three pass shave and the recommended amount is enough for all three.
View Quote

I think I went about this all wrong.  I think I was supposed to go through a ton of soaps and several brushes before finding Cremo. At least I ditched a full can of Barbasol and Edge gel. Maybe my Sensor 3's are next. Damn Internet.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my first tube about 4 months ago and love it.

I just started using a brush to apply it and love it even more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to DE shave a lot, moved and lost my stuff. Bought a bunch of stuff recently, went through a lot of soaps. I've used proraso, col conk, chiseled face, barrister and mann, etc etc. I bought a $5 tube of this stuff at walmart and feel pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong, I like all my other soaps, but holy shit this stuff is a bargain. Very slick, lathers up nice, and really digging the scent.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, I tried using my brush with Cremo--works great!! I get the same quality of shave without all the snot-slick stuff on my hands. I think the trick is to use a minimum amount of water on the brush so you don't dilute the Cremo too much.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I like it, easy to use.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Love it. I just found the menthol after using the original for about a year. The menthol is even better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately my GF found out how well it works and my tube gets empty much quicker than it used to.  

She did get me a new one for my Bday however.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a tube of the menthol the other day. Man, the peppermint in that made my eyes water when I smeared it on!
Very nice, deep cooling effect though. If you like menthol/cooling shave stuff, this is great.
Also, found that my local Target sells Cremo for $7.99, but at WalMart it's only $5.97.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Cremo and like it.  Very slick, and helps forgive, to a degree, a seconds inattention that would otherwise end badly.

Far better than canned creams and gels.  

I'd also like to try the Proraso.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased some cremo after reading this thread and after three uses I may be falling love. I struggle with very sensitive skin and always get irrigation after shaving. So far so good and have zero neck irritation to report "my weak area." Will post back in a month and see how it's doing after more shaving but I am pleasantly surprised thus far.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Been using it for 6 months

Love it
Smoooooth shave
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I use it for travel. I buy one of those super cheap boar brushes from Sally's for travel as well. I just lather in the palm of my hand. Works just fine and smells good too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been giving it a go for a bit. Really like the lemony scent. Would like to find a similar aftershave. Read on Badger and Blade how it doesn't lather, which is weird because it lathers just fine with my brush and mug.
View Quote

probably just sensitive to what water will work.  I have water so hard it crunches and some don't lather well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
It's decent.  I find I have to use my "preshave gel" prior to lathering in order for it to stay slick for the entire shave and even then, I have to re-wet.  Proraso is better, if need a tube.  Billy Jelousy is more slick but it to needs the above so it doesn't dry out.  Taylor of old bond street lives up to it's rep. as being one of the best.  My parents got me some L'Occitan shaving gel and it is the best in a can shave gel I've ever used.  It's much better than the other tubes mentioned and is close to being on par with TOBS.

BTW, my preserve gel is nothing more than some liquid soap, a very small amount with water, over my shave area.  I find this is better than the oils and stuff that are sold for this purpose.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Its ok, I prefer Proraso green over just about everything except Floris JF.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I mix it in my mug with some soap built up on my brush. It makes drier soaps

real slick and thick. The original Cremo and Poraso Red smell pretty good together.

The menthol one and Bay rum/ sandelwood soap kind of smells like tobacco/leather.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm never buying anything else
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I am using now, and will probably continue to its good stuff and affordable. I wish they had a sandle wood scent or something more manly, but its not a bad scent and it gives a smooth cool shave. I have very sensitive skin so it helps to have crème lathers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I would advise against using the menthol one on your junk

It's strong
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's strong
View Quote

I love tob sandlewood but it's cost makes it something I avoid now. I still have some of it for date night with the gf. She likes the cremo smell as well so I will adjust I guess.
I just like or love the over powering good lingering stink of sandlewood TOB.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I am glad I "discovered" this forum!
Yes I am a fan of the Cool Cremo Cream. Works great.
The Cool (Blue) seems to lather better than the Standard (Red) and is "slicker".
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am glad I "discovered" this forum!
Yes I am a fan of the Cool Cremo Cream. Works great.
The Cool (Blue) seems to lather better than the Standard (Red) and is "slicker".
View Quote

I'm going to try it I found it.
Well I tried the cool blue and it does seem to lather better I am not a menthol fan though and remember why when using it. I never liked menthol cigarettes either for same reason. On the other hand it lathers so well. A few hour after shower and shave I was washing my face splattered some broth from my soup on my face and into my goatee and wow lather started building on my cheeks again. Its amazing stuff but I think I will stick to red for its scent. Great stuff either one now if they,d come up with a sandle wood that is gtg I will be so happy
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked some up after using Barbasol and Gillette for years. This stuff is choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#27]
First of all, I feel the need to mention that I just joined a gun forum and my first post is about shaving.

I bought a tube of Cremo Cooling Shave Cream in January and I finally opened a new tube last week (August 18). I don't always shave on the weekends, but even so that stuff lasted for ever. It reminded me of that story in the Bible when Jesus made the shaving cream shave the whole crowd and there was still lots left over. It's in there, trust me. Look it up.

I love the stuff. It's nice and slick, and my wife likes the minty smell of my face afterwards.

In combination with a traditional safety razor, it's a combination that can't be beat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I picked up a tube for travel so I'm not carting a mug everywhere, the stuff has stuck with me. I even put some in a CLP bottle to take into the field.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:24:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm on my second tube of Cremo. Good product, and just the thing for work mornings when there isn't time for oils, soaps, balms, and all that fussy stuff. Very cost-effective too. One $6 tube lasts months.

If you mix a bit of Cremo with your favorite soap, it makes the thickest, slickest lather ever.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought my first tube about 4 months ago and love it.

I just started using a brush to apply it and love it even more.
View Quote

A brush is a must for Cremo, or it will clog your multi-blade razor.

It works great, and it has a citrus scent, much like limes.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#31]
And if you look in the ladies section, there is a mango scented version
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I have used Cremo for years with regular shaving and after reading what some people do with it for wet shaving, I add a little dab to Proraso when building a lather. I also found the Cooling Cremo at Target and LOVE it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lathered up well for me and the hardness of my water on a scale of one to ten is a twelve.  

I guess I never read the directions I always lathered with a brush.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Might be breaking the "rule" of posting to old threads but I just found this sub-forum and thought I might be able to add to this topic.

I shave my head and face 3-4 times a week.  I have shave sensitive skin (neck), meaning that more often than not I get some degree of razor burn and yeah, I do/have done all the recommended stuff.

Same as another post above, I heard Savage talking about it and as I was passing a CVS when he did his ad, I immediately pulled in and bought the bigger tube of Cremo.

Used as directed and I really like it.  Simple and works better than anything I had been using.  No more cans of foam or foaming gels or soap or dry or.... Then I got a gift box from the Dollar Shave Club.  Shave Butter?

It is actually easier than Cremo if that is possible.  Great glide, go back over or over lap and no burn/irritation...  better.

FOR ME the Shave Butter gets the edge but I still have both.  At the bottom of the big tube of Cremo, not sure I will buy more.  Already bought more DSC shave butter, no more burn and maybe even better - no need for post-shave balm anymore.

(I have nothing to gain from anyone using DSC stuff.  Thought I would share.  Use what works for you!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I rolled the dice on a tube of Cremo Sandalwood shaving cream. It was $7 at Walgreens. All I can say is...

Pretty disappointing.

The cream loads and lathers very easy and provides a smooth, slick shave, but...the audacity of Cremo to call it "Sandalwood" is laughable. Borderline insulting. There is ZERO hint of any Sandalwood scent or anything woodsy/earthy/spicy musk I am used to. It might smell like concrete mix or a stick you pick up off the gound, but that's it. The "scent" or lack thereof sucks! I guess I have been spoiled by other Sandalwood offerings by Art of Shaving, Captain's Choice and Proraso Red that actually smell like something.

Can't decide whether or not to throw it in the trash or buy some Sandalwood essential oil to add to it. Either way,  won't be rolling the dice again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#36]
So it works great but the scent doesn't live up to your expectation?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So it works great but the scent doesn't live up to your expectation?
View Quote
Those are the tent poles of the story, yes. I tried it again yesterday, lathers up easy but smelled like Saran Plastic Wrap. They should have billed it as Unscented. Disappointing, because a buddy of mine has the Cool mint scented Cremo that has a powerful Peppermint/Menthol scent as advertised so I was hopeful that their Sandalwood would've, I don't know, smelled like Sandalwood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I've used the regular red capped Cremo for several months with good results. I'd buy it again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's strong
View Quote
I don't shave my junk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Trying the menthol/mint Cremo - like it!  Still a toss up between the Shave Butter and Cremo but both work for me.

No worries, don't shave junk.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Red and blue. Wife likes the orange.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Love it. I just found the menthol after using the original for about a year. The menthol is even better.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Love Cremo. It's cheap and works perfect. I'm someone that breaks out easily after shaving, get irritated easily as well. As long as I have a relatively fresh razor and don't rush I get a perfect shave every time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not impressed with Cremo . I get a better shave using Pantene hair conditioner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not impressed with Cremo . I get a better shave using Pantene hair conditioner.
View Quote
I don't know about the conditioner, but I'm definitely not impressed with the unscented Cremo I bought. Maybe the scented ones use a different formulation, but I don't find it to be all that slick. It's difficult to rinse off the razor and it leaves a greasy film on the brush. For me, Stirling soaps are 100x better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I've tried it and it's not too bad for the price.

It is slick and it smells really good too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I squeeze about an inch of it onto my Col. Conks shaving soap and brush them both up into a lather.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Was using DSC shave butter. Not bad. Found Cremo and haven't looked back. I like the Sandalwood best. Bourbon scented is growing on me, haven't tried the original red capped tube yet, but I didn't like the cool menthol at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I have started using as a preshave. Works great, no Nick's or razor burn.  Less is best.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have started using as a preshave. Works great, no Nick's or razor burn.  Less is best.
View Quote
Disposable, straight, or safety? With a disposable I make a few passes in four directions as needed for a James Bond shave.

I can't believe this thread is three years old!

ALWAYS use an alum bar, and if you can get it, this stuff:

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top