Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2016 10:40:44 AM EDT
I broke out my Grandfathers Gem Open Comb Micromatic razor from the 1920s - 30s (not sure of the exact date) after buying Ted Pella coated Gem SE stainless steel blades. I used Stirling Sandalwood soap and after shave balm.

I got a nice shave. It was aggressive but I thought it would be more so. I did one pass as I reduced the amount of passes on my daily work shaves....just a time thing..The razor is shaped like a hoe and I held the door pretty much flat on my face except when trimming up.

My brother got the razor from my father after he passed and he knew I was into wet shaving and gave it to me. It came with the original green Bakelite case and the Bakelite inserts for new and used blades. He also gave me my Grandfather's gold tone ball end Gillette Tech DE razor from the 1920's. That was a nice shave as well.  I am going to get it replated.

It is nice being gifted family heirlooms. Does anyone else use a Single Edge?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
i recently bought this.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I do. I started with DE then gravitated to SE. I primarily use Gem Razors. I've picked up a bunch over the years on eBay for a couple bucks each. They're my razor of choice. I prefer the open comb and still do 3 passes with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
SE blades that aren't purely intended as industrial scrapers or box opener refills are rare, when I went looking I think I only found one or two options.  The Injector blades are similarly rare.  

With that ball end razor, you may want to put the handle aside and just use the head.  The ball end handles have a tendency to split longways and/or lose the ball from the end, it's just pressed in.  They made the same razor with a thicker single piece handle, that's what I use and those handles are a lot more durable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SE blades that aren't purely intended as industrial scrapers or box opener refills are rare, when I went looking I think I only found one or two options.  The Injector blades are similarly rare.  

With that ball end razor, you may want to put the handle aside and just use the head.  The ball end handles have a tendency to split longways and/or lose the ball from the end, it's just pressed in.  They made the same razor with a thicker single piece handle, that's what I use and those handles are a lot more durable.
View Quote

Winston, thanks for the heads up but it was split when I received it. I will have to look for a handle
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Found some SE blades at CVS and Walgreens. Have yet to try them out in my GEM Micromatic that I picked up last summer for 5 bucks at a flea market. This GEM is gold tone and looks brand new after disinfecting it and running it in a hot ultrasonic cleaner. Having to much fun with my Gillette Fatboy and RedTip
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently picked up a Gold Gem SE Flying Wing. Really nice shave and smoother that the OC Micromatic I have.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a Gold Gem SE Flying Wing. Really nice shave and smoother that the OC Micromatic I have.
View Quote

I recently bought a 1920's Schick Injector in really great shape. I plan on trying it sometime but the price of the blades are a little steep. So it will be more of a collectable item and I'll stick with my vintage Gillette razors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

SE blades that aren't purely intended as industrial scrapers or box opener refills are rare, when I went looking I think I only found one or two options. The Injector blades are similarly rare.  
View Quote
Simply untrue

Shark, Derby, Permasharp, Feather, Gem, Bluebird, Racer Saloon, Lord, Sharp.... There's more but I think I've proved my point, all make SE blades

ETA your favorite DE can be your favorite SE with 20 seconds of your time and a pair of wire cutters!

I'm sorry for your loss but I hope you have fond memories of your grandpa every time you use it!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Above the Tie, Supply, and Oneblade. Above the Tie is fantastic with many options.Supply is made in Fort Worth and has three settings. The Oneblade rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top