Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/22/2015 8:02:12 PM EDT
Let's see what you use !! Got a sampler pack coming in to do some testing with the Merkur 34c
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Astras - green or blue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Feather
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Crystal

I worked my way through two different sampler packs. These are the best that I have used.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Gillette Black
Feather
Polsilver Super Iridium
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feather
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Astras green
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still working my way through a rather large pile of Personna israeli reds.  There were some that came out of the package sharper but nothing else was as comfortable or lasted as long.  With proper prep I sometimes get two weeks out of 'em.

Furring up for the winter though, so the next one I open will probably last until April.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Blue Personnas
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Feather and then green Astra for me. I change my mind depending on how a shave goes at times but these consistently keep  me smooth and irritation free.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Feather
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally found a store locally selling a DE blades, Feather is all they had. After shaving with it in the Merkur 39c, I think I do not need to search anymore !!
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Feather.

Followed by Derby.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Raise.

" />
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Feather.

Followed by Derby.
View Quote

Wow, that's quite a range.  Derby is not even in the same league as Feather, for me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Astra green
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow, that's quite a range.  Derby is not even in the same league as Feather, for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feather.

Followed by Derby.

I've noticed quite a lot of variability with Derby blades.  One in a pack can be a great shave, the next one in the same pack could be a potato peeler, like it'd already been shaved to death.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feather.

Followed by Derby.

I ended up going with Derby over Feather.   Kind of makes me wonder if the Feathers were from a bad batch, but each blade in the pack was the same and just didn't cut as well as the Derby.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I ended up going with Derby over Feather.   Kind of makes me wonder if the Feathers were from a bad batch, but each blade in the pack was the same and just didn't cut as well as the Derby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feather.

Followed by Derby.

Shit, use whatever works.  All the better if it's one of the cheapest blades on the market.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The best advice I ever recieved when I started shaving was:

1.) When learning a straight razor, you WILL cut yourself. You'll improve.
2.) When shaving with DE, get a variety pack of different brands. Everyone's face, razor and method are slightly different.

I must have tried at least 10 different blades before coming to my conclusion.

Check drug stores, they often don't have a lot of selection but several in my area carried different blades. A couple bucks here,  a couple there and you'll get a good idea what's out there.

Then head to Amazon and buy in bulk for one or two brands that you personally like.

Recommendations are great, but at the end of the day it's 1911 vs Glock.  It's personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Dorco. I've been DE shaving for over 20 years and have tried lots. I always goo back to Dorco. Buy them in 100 pack on Amazon
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]
My face likes a sharp blade like Feather and Sharp.
Duller than hell are BIC and Derby.
Most others I've tried do okay but only for one shave.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dorco. I've been DE shaving for over 20 years and have tried lots. I always goo back to Dorco. Buy them in 100 pack on Amazon
View Quote

I can buy 300 and 301s local for $1 a 10 pack..My go-to blade. But I do have quite a few Personnas from various countries.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Astra SP or Voskhod Teflon coated. I bought a couple 100 packs of each from Amazon, so I'm set for the next couple years.

I'm picky about blade sharpness, so they get used once (maybe twice) on my face and then they go into a different razor to be used once on my head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I like Astra green or blue. The feather was not as friendly to my face. I do use the same razor as you also. As others have said try a few, everyone has a different face and beard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been double edge shaving now for almost a year and these are my favorites.

1. Tie between Gillette Silver Blue and Vintage Gillette " The Spoiler"  Blades when I can find them.

2. Feather

Edited. Moved Silver Blue to the #1 spot
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can buy 300 and 301s local for $1 a 10 pack..My go-to blade. But I do have quite a few Personnas from various countries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. This just illustrates that different persons have different experiences with blades. I've had a hard time with Dorcos, but maybe I just got a bad batch. Maybe I'll try another package of them.

Feathers seem the sharpest- a little too sharp for me, until after a coupe of shaves. I've been rotating between Astra greens, Israeli Personnas in blue UK packaging, Crystals, Derby, and Lords (Egypt). Except for the Astras, the others in my current rotation are fairly gentle, but don't shave super close. They seem to work best with the lightest pressure possible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Rooskie blades???
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Personna reds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Do yourself a favor and order a sample pack from West Coast Shaving. We're all different. So many people say the Feather is wicked sharp but I couldn't get a good shave and they sucked balls after a few shaves.

I found Derby works best and I order them by the 100 pack now. Well, I did when I was shaving. I've been wearing a beard for the past couple of years now. The 34C is a fine razor btw.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I think I'm going to give these a try since they're made in America. I'm trying to only buy things made in the USA when possible
12.22 cents per blade with Prime
http://www.amazon.com/Personna-Double-Razor-Blades-Count/dp/B0077LAJT2

I've been going through a couple of sample packs and haven't found a favorite. Partly my fault for not keeping notes as I go though the 5 and 10 packs of the different brands/versions
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
What I found is that my face will tend to get used to a certain blade after a bit of constant use. Not the same blade over and over but the same brand/type. When I first switched to the Russian blades I was like whoa shit these are sharp (almost uncomfortably so) and I had weepers all over my face. After a week or so it stopped, and the other day I noticed that I haven't had a weeper, nick, or burn in forever. If I remember to swap the blade after the 4th shave it is a non-stop smooth have. In fact I get my best shaves after growing out my beard for 3-4 days. I grab a new blade and get to it, smooth as a baby's butt every damn time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Rooskie blades???
View All Quotes

Yea overall the Rooskie blades are pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
wilkinson sword
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feather

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Finally finishing up with the bulk personnas I bought years ago and now I'm waiting in the pack of Gillette greens I bought on eBay.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Feather for me.

No wonder they are sharp; Feather makes a wide range of surgical and microsurgical blades too.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Feather and then green Astra for me. I change my mind depending on how a shave goes at times but these consistently keep  me smooth and irritation free.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Astra's and Feathers. I've had a 250 pack of Astra's for well over a year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Feather, they last 2 shaves super sharp then go down hill after that. Which is fine by me I shave twice a week. I ran out if them and hard to use a dorco, God damn thing was like shaving with fishing hooks so painful
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Gillette Silver Blues! I've had them last 3 shaves. very very nice blades, and the package smells like they were made in an ammunition factory.

Well, they're Russian so they might have been made in an ammunition factory. win win.

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Razor-Blades-Russia/dp/B0059QF5RS/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462676838&sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+silver+blue+razor+blades
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Feather, they last 2 shaves super sharp then go down hill after that. Which is fine by me I shave twice a week. I ran out if them and hard to use a dorco, God damn thing was like shaving with fishing hooks so painful
View Quote
I bought a pack of dorco's  once. I used one blade the rest went in the trashcan

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm a recent DE shaver. My soap "collection" is impressive (most are samples, but it's a wide array of artisan soaps regardless). My blade collection, not so much. My EJ Kelvin razor came with a five pack of Derbys. They took multiple passes and left me with mild irritation, but I got a close shave. I then purchased a pack of Personna Reds (terrible, lots of weepers and irritation for me so far), Gillette Silver Blues (very minor weepers and only a wee touch of irritation in my trouble spots that's likely caused by my poor newb technique, but a BBS shave), and Gillete 7 O'Clock blacks (haven't tried them yet).

I'll be ordering a few others from TryABlade.com soon, namely Voskhods, the other Gillette 7OCs, and Feathers, since my face seems to prefer sharper blades.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Gillette Silver Blues! I've had them last 3 shaves. very very nice blades, and the package smells like they were made in an ammunition factory.

Well, they're Russian so they might have been made in an ammunition factory. win win.

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Razor-Blades-Russia/dp/B0059QF5RS/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462676838&sr=8-1&keywords=gillette+silver+blue+razor+blades
View Quote

These are my go to blades. I like them better than Feather. Sharp enough for me but way smoother.

Has anyone used Gillette Nacet blades? I would wager that all of the Russian blades marketed by Gillette are made in the same Russian Factory in St Petersburg and just re-branded as needed....Howe many blade factories could there possibly be?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

These are my go to blades. I like them better than Feather. Sharp enough for me but way smoother.

Has anyone used Gillette Nacet blades? I would wager that all of the Russian blades marketed by Gillette are made in the same Russian Factory in St Petersburg and just re-branded as needed....Howe many blade factories could there possibly be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best are PolSilver Super Iridium.  Not Polish, and no iridium or silver anywhere on the blades.  Shave great though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I've did one round with a sampler pack. So far my favorite have been Crystal and Bic Chrome Platinum. Dorco was also really good for the money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The best are PolSilver Super Iridium.  Not Polish, and no iridium or silver anywhere on the blades.  Shave great though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have yet to try them
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top