User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CWO:
If I need to finance a watch - its a sign that I am reaching for a watch that is not affordable to me in the broader sense.

It would be time for me to reassess what I am doing - and why.
View Quote

Didn't read the thread, did you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get the watch. A man should have at least one great classic watch.  I've never lost money on a watch.  If you purchase a popular model they will become a classic.  To me a watch is like a time machine.  When I wear a certain watch it brings memories of the places I visited and the people I met while wearing that watch.  Life is too short, get what you want.  

Regards
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

Cash or keep saving.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would probably pay for it with a 2% cash back CC and skip the financing.

At 0% it's not a big deal, finance it if you want.  Just make sure you're keeping the funds available to pay for it and avoid any fees.
View Quote

Truth.

I would put it on my credit card and pay it off immediately for the cash back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope.

Cash or keep saving.
View Quote

He has the cash already.  The financing is at 0%.  He's considering using the 0% financing and investing the cash into something that earns money.

In neither situation does he need to save, he already has the money.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have no issue financing things. It helps me manage cash flow. 0% is a no-brainer. I financed every penny of my new tractor. I keep wanting to pay it off early, but have to remind myself that I can be making money with the money that I'd use to pay off a 0% loan.

I think the question for me is whether I can justify the watch or not.  For some reason paying a few hundred a month over a year seems easier to stomach than the lump sum, even if I have the cash sitting in the bank. 0% makes questioning the financial end if it a no brainer. I can probably make 10% (or better) of the cost of the watch back in a year by investing the same money.
View Quote

Resist the urge to pay bake an interest free loan—it really is free to use.  I just bought a bunch of furniture—actually my wife did—from pottery barn for 12 mos interest free.  Bill comes 1/12 gets paid until 0/12 left.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, why not? I got zero percent for 30 months on my new Tudor from tourneau back in December. If I get tired of the payment I’ll just pay it off.

Edit to add; I wouldn’t do more than like $3500 tho. If I wanted something worth more I’d put money down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing in your life that should be financed is a house. Anything beyond that then you’re bad with money.
View Quote

My $60k tractor is financed at 0%. I put $0 down. It's a business writeoff. Leveraging money is how you make money. When the tractor is fully depreciated it'll be worth $40k. I'll turn it into a rental property and buy another tractor.

Not true about a watch, but free money is free money....
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
So, I went a different direction. Picked up a Tudor Pelagos. It was kind of on a whim, but I fell in love with it when I found it. Should be delivered today. I'll grab a pic when it gets here.

Paid with my credit card, then paid it off. I had a transmission that I was building from two bad units. I had it apart no less that 10 times. I told myself that if I got it together and working I'd buy the watch.  That motivated me to not throw it down the driveway....
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
0% for a year? Do it if you can pay it off in a year. I financed my wife's ring with a 0% for 1 year and paid it off in 4 months. Better than paying credit card a.p.r. Not much difference.

Which Seamaster are you looking at?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
0% for a year? Do it if you can pay it off in a year. I financed my wife's ring with a 0% for 1 year and paid it off in 4 months. Better than paying credit card a.p.r. Not much difference.

Which Seamaster are you looking at?
View Quote

Well, I ended up making a u-turn and picked up a Tudor Pelagos. Seamaster is still on the list. Not sure where it'll fit in. Put it in the credit card and paid it off last night.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, that's really pretty!  I like it!  I guess we're blue dial people!

I wound up going this way:

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, that's really pretty!  I like it!  I guess we're blue dial people!

I wound up going this way:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62074/IMG_1026-1448228.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful. Someday.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, I ended up making a u-turn and picked up a Tudor Pelagos. Seamaster is still on the list. Not sure where it'll fit in. Put it in the credit card and paid it off last night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284176/E57C9775-BCAD-48E6-9C61-217EE8E8CAE7_JPG-1485778.JPG

View Quote

Beauty!!!! We could be friends
Attachment Attached File

As for Seamasters, the 2254 is my favorite. Had one and regrettably sold it. It about doubled in price. Black wave dial and sword hands.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Only in very specific circumstances.

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome watch. I like Tudor more than any omega I’ve seen. BUT I’ll admit I don’t know much about the omega brand.
   Original question. Hell yeah why not. IF a guy can afford the payments then I why the hell not. (Must be able to afford everyday bills etc).
    I had a health scare last year. I got better and came real close to buying my dream Rolex sub with date. On the card.  
   Yeah had saving could pay cash. But that’s for emergencies.  This would have been paid with extra spending money every month.

Then a really good bill of health. And decided to buy a new Ridiculous  big ass 5th wheel camper. Daughter will only want to hang out with us for a few more years anyway so enjoy it. You can always sell the watch or camper in my case.  
   But to the guys that don’t know. The watches they are talking about will hold value or even gain value sometimes! It’s better than the stock market.
   Camper not so much lol. But in 5 trips this year  we already have memories that are worth a lot more than a monthly payment.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Awesome watch. I like Tudor more than any omega I’ve seen. BUT I’ll admit I don’t know much about the omega brand.
   Original question. Hell yeah why not. IF a guy can afford the payments then I why the hell not. (Must be able to afford everyday bills etc).
    I had a health scare last year. I got better and came real close to buying my dream Rolex sub with date. On the card.  
   Yeah had saving could pay cash. But that’s for emergencies.  This would have been paid with extra spending money every month.

Then a really good bill of health. And decided to buy a new Ridiculous  big ass 5th wheel camper. Daughter will only want to hang out with us for a few more years anyway so enjoy it. You can always sell the watch or camper in my case.  
   But to the guys that don’t know. The watches they are talking about will hold value or even gain value sometimes! It’s better than the stock market.
   Camper not so much lol. But in 5 trips this year  we already have memories that are worth a lot more than a monthly payment.
View Quote

good for you glad the camper is producing some memories!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm with you, buddy. Not everything in life has to be a wise financial investment. It sounds like you made an investment in time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top