[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

Wow super nice!

Will the bronze stay shiny or will it patina?
View Quote

It will patina for sure - compared to the Oris that I got a bit over a month back:

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know this was going to be my next watch. My wife ordered it from our AD almost a year ago unbeknownst to me. Picked it up Saturday. (No pics of wife. This isn't GD!)

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PadreGtr:
I didn't know this was going to be my next watch. My wife ordered it from our AD almost a year ago unbeknownst to me. Picked it up Saturday. (No pics of wife. This isn't GD!)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/400822/IMG_7299_JPG-2400152.jpg
View Quote

Looks amazing! I need to get my wife to talk to yours ha!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Grail watch for me. The bezel function fascinates me. Is that gold?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:

Grail watch for me. The bezel function fascinates me. Is that gold?
View Quote

Yes, it's gold, and yeah the bezel function is amazing. As long as you keep it wound, you only have to change it once a year (excluding DST fiddling about).

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Got a call from my AD about a week ago or so, about this watch. Picked it up the next day! Certainly a pleasant surprise.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Flyskate:
Got a call from my AD about a week ago or so, about this watch. Picked it up the next day! Certainly a pleasant surprise.

https://i.imgur.com/eZTpZxD.jpg?1
View Quote

Very nice! Looked hard at these myself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

wow, awesome
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Impulse purchase.  Price dipped on Amazon quite a bit so I snagged it.  43.5 mm size isn't for everyone but for me I have a large wrist. SNKN37

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Earlier this year I went down to my local AD and asked to be put on the list for a GMT2 and kind of felt like it was a lost cause.  The lady seems like I was waistline her time or she thought I was going to flip the watch.  While I was up in Dallas I asked about the same watch and told the AD my sister lived near by and what I was after.  He seemed like it was possible and that the list was long but lots of people tune them down when it is time to pay the $11k.

Fast forward to last weekend and the wife and I stopped by our local AD and the lady was out to lunch and I found a different guy at the counter.  He was very helpful and mentioned there is no list and it was more about the relationship with the AD, and there was no list there.  We talked for another 30 minutes or so and he took down my request as well as a graduation gift request for the wife.

Hoping to get a call one day, but it’s kinda like a Willy wonka golden ticket deal right now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 6172crew:
Earlier this year I went down to my local AD and asked to be put on the list for a GMT2 and kind of felt like it was a lost cause.  The lady seems like I was waistline her time or she thought I was going to flip the watch.  While I was up in Dallas I asked about the same watch and told the AD my sister lived near by and what I was after.  He seemed like it was possible and that the list was long but lots of people tune them down when it is time to pay the $11k.

Fast forward to last weekend and the wife and I stopped by our local AD and the lady was out to lunch and I found a different guy at the counter.  He was very helpful and mentioned there is no list and it was more about the relationship with the AD, and there was no list there.  We talked for another 30 minutes or so and he took down my request as well as a graduation gift request for the wife.

Hoping to get a call one day, but it’s kinda like a Willy wonka golden ticket deal right now.
View Quote

Buddy, I am in the same boat. Seems kind of crazy I have to "develop a relationship" to buy a watch - but that is where we are at in 2022. I have been super tempted to buy gray but prices are still too high IMO, with only little indications they will drop, and those that are dropping significantly are the really high $ pieces that were just crazy inflated. I have been watching Subs and now were are down to the $14K mark, still $5k more then I'd like to pay. I plan to wait to wait it out. I hold no faith I'll get a call from the AD, but we shall see. I do think visiting multiple ADs in person is the way to go. Cast a wide net, hope to get lucky.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to get a two tone Rolex Date Just for my wife when she graduates grad school soon, but wonder if the second hand market will drop much between now and December.  I'll have the cash allocated for it in about two weeks.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
I'd like to get a two tone Rolex Date Just for my wife when she graduates grad school soon, but wonder if the second hand market will drop much between now and December.  I'll have the cash allocated for it in about two weeks.  What do you guys think?
View Quote

DJs are coming down - for sure. I have been watching. It’s such a great watch. Hold out as long as you can. By December I think we’ll be getting back closer towards MSRP.
A local pawn shop here has a like new 41 - pawn broker says it’s very unlikely to get picked up. I think a lot of folks are selling and the market is going to favor buyers in the next year.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:

DJs are coming down - for sure. I have been watching. It's such a great watch. Hold out as long as you can. By December I think we'll be getting back closer towards MSRP.
A local pawn shop here has a like new 41 - pawn broker says it's very unlikely to get picked up. I think a lot of folks are selling and the market is going to favor buyers in the next year.
View Quote
I guess I should have clarified I'm looking for a 36, so nothing too special.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I should have clarified I'm looking for a 36, so nothing too special.
View Quote

Great watches. I am really considering a 36mm myself. The classic size.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
After a modest amount of deliberation -- my next watch is going to be another Garmin

My current one is getting long in the tooth and in the interest of monitoring my workouts and daily activity levels , i have been wearing it constantly

Boring, but im edging way too close to 250 pounds for comfort so priority 1 is to take care of that

But possibly reward myself with something nice when i hit my goal weight
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Boys - I got “The Call”! MTF.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
Boys - I got “The Call”! MTF.
View Quote

Hell yeah man!

Must post picks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Royalwithcheese:

Hell yeah man!

Must post picks!
View Quote

Will do amigo…came as a complete surprise text from the AD today. I am traveling but will pick it up Monday.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
What did you end up with?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Managed to get one in the 3 minutes the store was open this weekend.  Should be here sometime Wed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pocketgecko:
Managed to get one in the 3 minutes the store was open this weekend.  Should be here sometime Wed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110679/IMG_4486_photo_jpeg-2457444.JPG
View Quote

Very cool - love the cream dial 👍
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Best Monday I can remember!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Beautiful!
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Royalwithcheese:

Beautiful!
View Quote

Thanks buddy. Day 2. Such a great piece. Not sure it gets better to be honest.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Congrats!  Hell of a watch for a hell of a guy from a hell of a family.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Congrats!  Hell of a watch for a hell of a guy from a hell of a family.
View Quote

Thanks Ranger Buddy. I found this old photo recently. It was an a total epiphany. Hope you are well!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Going with microbrand Helm this time.
Pic from their website, I'll post real pics when it arrives next week.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats!!!
View Quote

Thanks my friend. So glad I waited on the AD.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aspida1776] [#34]
Bought a g shock and immediately realized that I can't see anything on the face, just the hands. Thankfully it was cheap but ill move on from that brand. Next up? Probably a Hamilton Khaki.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:11:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BePhreed] [#35]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Bought a g shock and immediately realized that I can't see anything on the face, just the hands. Thankfully it was cheap but ill move on from that brand. Next up? Probably a Hamilton Khaki.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81D0hUtxwRL._AC_UY879_.jpg
View Quote

I have a military issued Hamilton with the original strap if you're interested. I had it serviced two years ago and wore it all of six times before putting it away permanently.

ETA: In line with this thread, my next will be a medium-thin Reverso two-hander.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#36]

View Quote

I never cared for the G Shocks due to what I considered to be their oversized, cluttered design.

I just bought this one as my new beater watch and really like it. Much simpler, cleaner design and very thin but still retains the famous toughness and 200m water resistance.

Attachment Attached File

I got the “stealth” color but they make more high contrast versions as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gaizkaeta:
Going with microbrand Helm this time.
Pic from their website, I'll post real pics when it arrives next week.

https://i.imgur.com/BM5QQrW.jpeg
View Quote

@gaizkaeta I've been looking at these for a while. Whats the actual wait time like.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaizkaeta] [#38]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

@gaizkaeta I've been looking at these for a while. Whats the actual wait time like.
View Quote
I grabbed mine from a private seller for a bit more than msrp.
I did get on the waiting list @ #6690... And going by the answer from the owner of Helm on another watch forum- where he stated about 40 percent of waitlist buyers don't purchase once contacted-that still put me at about 2 and half years wait.
No wonder it's called the Rolex of Microbrands.
Anyways, good timing on your post as it just arrived today. Super, super happy and very pleased with the immediately obvious quality!  If this was sold at @ $1k I wouldn't blink. It's that good.  $285 is both a sin and an awesome watch opportunity for budget minded folks.

Edit: Picked up a 2nd for the Wife.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrVenkman87] [#39]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

I never cared for the G Shocks due to what I considered to be their oversized, cluttered design.

I just bought this one as my new beater watch and really like it. Much simpler, cleaner design and very thin but still retains the famous toughness and 200m water resistance.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/35E8F1B2-5F8D-40BC-A63F-B2E0C00E87B5_jpe-2463500.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/C96059D0-43B4-4148-A52A-318FC261BF0E_jpe-2463506.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/35E8F1B2-5F8D-40BC-A63F-B2E0C00E87B5_jpe-2463500.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/C96059D0-43B4-4148-A52A-318FC261BF0E_jpe-2463506.JPG

I like most G Shocks. Those are really nice!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrVenkman87] [#40]
I want one of these. I already have a black Submariner and next Rolex will be a Datejust. I love Seiko too! I know its modded.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm saving up for a Tudor Black Bay red bezel, but the new Seiko SSK orange dial is really tempting.

Not as a replacement of course, just a minor distraction from the main event, lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I was looking at field watches. Impulsively bought a Seiko after reading the MACV-SOG thread. Not even close to the original, but it shares it's lineage.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Put an “order” in for a new Rolex Explorer 2 black dial.  I’ll update when it actually shows up. Could be a year but I’m fine with that.

Generic pic for reference.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve got my eye on one of the older Seamaster references—black dial with Bond waves and aluminum bezel or the next gen with ceramic bezel and lacquer black dial. Hopefully, by Christmas, I will have one!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got into watches recently and wow...it's as deep a hole as rifles.

Mainly just researching, learning, and visiting ADs in my area. Have an Orient Bambino (cream dial) which I love, but it was my Vincero Reserve (blue dial, grad school graduation gift from my dad) that really got me into this. First mechanical watch and it was fascinating.

Hoping to move past Vincero—which I understand is more of a fashion brand—and get a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic before the end of the year. I like military/aviation stuff, so until I can afford a Longines Spirit, the Khaki Auto should be the ticket.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By minion42:

Mainly just researching, learning, and visiting ADs in my area. Have an Orient Bambino (cream dial) which I love, but it was my Vincero Reserve (blue dial, grad school graduation gift from my dad) that really got me into this. First mechanical watch and it was fascinating.

Hoping to move past Vincero—which I understand is more of a fashion brand—and get a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic before the end of the year. I like military/aviation stuff, so until I can afford a Longines Spirit, the Khaki Auto should be the ticket.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0213/7833/4784/products/HamiltonH70455533-1_1200x1200.jpg
View Quote

I had the 42mm and sold it. Sourced a 44mm and works better for me. I do miss the red tip on the second hand though!

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Interesting. I'm going for the Auto, which is 38mm or 42mm. I have a lot of 41-43mm watches and want something smaller and more classic, so I want to try the 38mm.

I have a 7.5" wrist, and can definitely pull off 42+, but sometimes I think it gets tiresome always seeing such big watches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By minion42:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0213/7833/4784/products/HamiltonH70455533-1_1200x1200.jpg
View Quote

I just got this one myself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#49]
View Quote

Looks great. Strap works well too.

How do you like it so far?

Edit: Sent you a PM as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EagleArmsHBAR] [#50]
I post a lot of pics on Instagram and was contacted by a company to get a free watch as long as I include it in some of my posts (one post or story per month). So I went to their website and picked something that seemed to look ok. It was listed at $490, but I got it free other than I had to pay $30 shipping.  It really isn't my style.

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top