Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Just ordered a high roller watch. Yellow Gold Casio Data bank . Seriously can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, put my name in with the local AD for an Explorer I. Tried it on yesterday and damn it looked great and felt awesome. I was a little on the fence about the size but it works for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 5thLegion:
Well, put my name in with the local AD for an Explorer I. Tried it on yesterday and damn it looked great and felt awesome. I was a little on the fence about the size but it works for me.
View Quote

Nice! I keep thinking about it, even if it takes 2-3 years to get, I don't think I mind waiting. Hopefully it comes in sooner. 36mm Explorers are amazing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:

Nice! I keep thinking about it, even if it takes 2-3 years to get, I don't think I mind waiting. Hopefully it comes in sooner. 36mm Explorers are amazing.
View Quote

Exactly. I am optimistic, AD said the Explorer is not the most difficult to get right now, but demand remains high. Only other watch I am really interested in the meantime is the white SMP 300.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Added my name to the Omega Planet Ocean 6000m Ultra Deep Ti wait list. Looks amazing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
I went to my local Rolex dealer yesterday and put in my interest in buying a GMT. The lady working there was clear that they don't get many GMTs in and tried briefly to sell me on a Datejust or a Sub. I told her I'm patient and have my heart set on a GMT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I went to my local Rolex dealer yesterday and put in my interest in buying a GMT. The lady working there was clear that they don't get many GMTs in and tried briefly to sell me on a Datejust or a Sub. I told her I'm patient and have my heart set on a GMT.

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Went to my Rolex AD today and asked for a two tone blue Submariner. We'll see if they can get me one. The DD36 will have to wait.

Its a race!

Just kidding, yall are going to beat me. GMTs don't seem anywhere near as easy to get ahold of as two-tones or even explorers. Here's to hoping one or all of us are wearing our desired Rolex in a few months.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The goal this year:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Its a race!

Just kidding, yall are going to beat me. GMTs don't seem anywhere near as easy to get ahold of as two-tones or even explorers. Here's to hoping one or all of us are wearing our desired Rolex in a few months.
View All Quotes

Went to my Rolex AD today and asked for a two tone blue Submariner. We'll see if they can get me one. The DD36 will have to wait.

Its a race!

In! Ha more than a little luck too in this crazy process. I am hoping this year, my 50th is in June and that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Looked hard at this watch as well - beautiful!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, I think I may be done if I get this one.

If I just had money to spend...it would only be this one.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Its a race!

View Quote
I'm very impatient and would like to have it now.  I hate that there is such a shortage at MSRP, but nothing can be done about that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Royalwithcheese:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359396/download__7_-2323910.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359396/Rolex_Seadweller_-1-1024x683-2323913.jpg
View Quote

I have been highly tempted by the blue Pelagos. These are great watches. It’s either that or the white SMP for my ultimate diver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:00:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#13]
I’ll be standing in line early Saturday morning for a couple of these God willing. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]

I have been highly tempted by the blue Pelagos. These are great watches. It’s either that or the white SMP for my ultimate diver.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359396/download__7_-2323910.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359396/Rolex_Seadweller_-1-1024x683-2323913.jpg

Honestly, the SMP was my grail watch. Now that I have both, the Pelagos is my go to. I will probably never get rid of the SMP, but I do want a black Pelagos for other occasions where blue is too loud.

If I did it over again, I would probably not buy the Omega. That's just me though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Honestly, the SMP was my grail watch. Now that I have both, the Pelagos is my go to. I will probably never get rid of the SMP, but I do want a black Pelagos for other occasions where blue is too loud.

If I did it over again, I would probably not buy the Omega. That's just me though.
View Quote

Not just you. I had a blue SMP and it looked fantastic on a blue NATO and looked great wearing anything blue. But that was it. I didn’t really feel it wearing anything else, and the bracelet absolutely sucked IMO. Sold it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WhisperPickle:

Not just you. I had a blue SMP and it looked fantastic on a blue NATO and looked great wearing anything blue. But that was it. I didn’t really feel it wearing anything else, and the bracelet absolutely sucked IMO. Sold it.
View All Quotes

That is good to know, thanks. My thought is the blue Pelagos for ultimate summer diver, and I’ve got my BB 58 for a dressy diver. On the SMP - if I get one it will be on rubber and I’ll get one of the Uncle Seiko bracelets. I am also not a fan of the current Omega bracelet. Then there is the Explorer- my grail - maybe someday I’ll get the call.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5thLegion] [#17]
View Quote

Had to look this up. Creating quite the controversy over at WUS. Moon watch purists totally up in arms. 😂
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Had to look this up. Creating quite the controversy over at WUS. Moon watch purists totally up in arms.
View Quote
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not keen on it. Of course, when I see/hear Swatch I think of Swatch watches in the 80's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#19]

Had to look this up. Creating quite the controversy over at WUS. Moon watch purists totally up in arms. 😂
View Quote

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not keen on it. Of course, when I see/hear Swatch I think of Swatch watches in the 80's.
View Quote

Yep. Lots of purist don’t like it. “Diluting the brand” they say lololol. I get it. But at the same time It’s obviously not even a contender for the Speedy Pro, just a fun collab and I really dig it.

Hopefully the minority is actually the majority and I won’t have to wait behind 100 other people to get one
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
No Swatch store near me and no on-line sales for a year. Scalpers paradise.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
View Quote

Last I read Swatch IG leaked it would be online the 28th, then deleted the comment. Can’t verify but possibly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liberty_Tree] [#22]

Last I read Swatch IG leaked it would be online the 28th, then deleted the comment. Can’t verify but possibly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

I posted this screen shot in the other thread discussing these but all I saw was a confirmation they will eventually sell online. They’re not a limited run so if you don’t live near a Swatch boutique then just be patient.

I’m a big Omega fan and think this is pretty cool. The frenzy online is quite entertaining however. One group who could never afford a real speedy excited because they can now afford an “Omega”. Another group who thinks this will hurt Omega as a brand by devaluing the speedy. Then you have people like myself who think they’re a pretty cool looking cheap (Swatch) watch and that’s it.

I think the Mission to Mercury with an all black rubber strap would look pretty cool to have as a daily beater when I don’t want to wear my Breitling SOH Outerknown.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess it's no different than wearing a Rolex homage because you can't afford a Rolex.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Damn, I’m really digging the blue Pelagos FXD. I’ve got a knockoff blue SMP I keep on a Bond NATO that gets worn on turnaround. I like how blue stands out, but i sometimes worry that it stands out too much.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

Damn, I’m really digging the blue Pelagos FXD. I’ve got a knockoff blue SMP I keep on a Bond NATO that gets worn on turnaround. I like how blue stands out, but i sometimes worry that it stands out too much.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

The blue Pelagos is honestly a chameleon blue. It goes from super bright and poppy, to a deep navy like blue. Really depends on the lighting. I just always end up taking a picture when it's bright.

It's still blue however. Definitely will not go with everything so keep that in mind. I feel like the FXD takes away the best part of the watch by not having a bracelet. If you don't like bracelets however, it's the perfect watch honestly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#26]
I guess it's no different than wearing a Rolex homage because you can't afford a Rolex.
View Quote

Naa, I’ve owned 2 Speedys as well as a few Seamaster/Planet Ocean versions and still want this. I also know people who own replica Rolexs as well as Gen versions so it has nothing to do with being able to afford something. It’s just about having fun with the hobby. Not sure why so many are butthurt about this lolol.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#27]
Funny how Timex came out with the Q, clearly a budget homage to Rolex. Everyone went nuts over them and praised them for what they were. I see the Swatch Speedy as a more 'legit' homage.

I don't really understand how people can claim Swatch is diluting the Speedmaster when Omega has been doing it for years

I'll likely wait to buy one until I can get hands on. I might buy it if feels solid. It doesn't stop me from wanting a 'real' Speedy though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Naa, I've owned 2 Speedys as well as a few Seamaster/Planet Ocean versions and still want this. I also know people who own replica Rolexs as well as Gen versions so it has nothing to do with being able to afford something. It's just about having fun with the hobby. Not sure why so many are butthurt about this lolol.
View Quote
I'm not butthurt at all. I just don't understand the point or, moreover,  the excitement. For the price point, my Casio GW-5000 is infinitely more useful. I owned a Speedy for the heritage and the craftsmanship. Mine ran +2 sec per day which is pretty impressive for a hand wound mechanical watch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not butthurt at all. I just don't understand the point or, moreover,  the excitement. For the price point, my Casio GW-5000 is infinitely more useful. I owned a Speedy for the heritage and the craftsmanship. Mine ran +2 sec per day which is pretty impressive for a hand wound mechanical watch.
View All Quotes

Naa, I've owned 2 Speedys as well as a few Seamaster/Planet Ocean versions and still want this. I also know people who own replica Rolexs as well as Gen versions so it has nothing to do with being able to afford something. It's just about having fun with the hobby. Not sure why so many are butthurt about this lolol.

But again, it’s about having fun and injecting some fresh ideas into it, not about being a replacement for it.  And I didn’t mean you personally, more of a proverbial you
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Its a race!

View Quote

Is this kind of like buying a Randall knife?    --  where you pay a deposit and then wait 5 years?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#31]

I'll likely wait to buy one until I can get hands on. I might buy it if feels solid. It doesn't stop me from wanting a 'real' Speedy though.
View Quote

Looks like a neat watch - i dont like all the branding on the band, but NATO straps are cheap.   I'll wait and see what the consensus is on here about them before i strongly consider one --    LOL - i took a glycine back for a refund because the dial felt chintzy to me , so i know all about needing a watch to feel solid
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By streetstar:

Is this kind of like buying a Randall knife?    --  where you pay a deposit and then wait 5 years?
View All Quotes

Its a race!

No, its so much worse.

Stainless steel sports Rolexes, and some of their precious metal designs, have been in extremely high demand the past few years. In the Rolex business model, they send their Authorized Dealers watches at Rolex HQ's discretion. Then the AD is able to sell that watch to whichever customer they want. Each AD treats this differently, a few do first come-first serve waitlists, but most seem to prioritize their best customers. Those who spend tens or hundreds of thousands on jewelry will often get offered Rolexes when a first-time walk in customer will get told there are none available. Even customers who buy an entry level Rolex will often get better access to higher end Rolexes; buy a ladies Rolex or a datejust that's actually in the cabinet today, and they'll "find" a Submariner in the back that got delivered that day.

In short, there's no guarantee you'll ever get to buy certain Rolex models from an AD. Spending more money helps your chances, and understanding your AD's market and system for choosing customers helps too. I'm looking to buy a fairly difficult model, the GMT, and I'm unwilling to buy anything I wouldn't wear myself. I'm single so I don't even have a wife or girlfriend to justify throwing money at diamonds to help that way.

There's always the secondhand market (often called grey market) where all these watches are readily accessible, but due to the demand they're priced 1.5-3x the MSRP. I'm also not willing to spend that much, I'd rather put the money in the stock market and wait.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
No, because you can't put a deposit down and get on a waiting list.  There are no waiting lists, only "lists of interests", so it is up to the dealer whether or not they want to sell you a watch.  Many times, they will only sell to high rollers.  Not always, but often.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm looking to buy a fairly difficult model, the GMT, and I'm unwilling to buy anything I wouldn't wear myself.

There's always the secondhand market (often called grey market) where all these watches are readily accessible, but due to the demand they're priced 1.5-3x the MSRP. I'm also not willing to spend that much, I'd rather put the money in the stock market and wait.
View Quote

My favorite too.     I dont wish to spend 15k for one either so im likely locked out short of a nice windfall of some sort

Just started paying attention to the watch hobby a few months ago but recall secondhand Sub's in 2003 or 4 routinely going for around 4k.    Im a catastrophe insurance adjuster and all my managers were Rolex guys and stated it was almost a ritual for guys to buy one after their first big storm -- but i was young then and thought  "Pffft - i'd rather have a Corvette "
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#35]
No, because you can't put a deposit down and get on a waiting list.  There are no waiting lists, only "lists of interests", so it is up to the dealer whether or not they want to sell you a watch.  Many times, they will only sell to high rollers.  Not always, but often.
View Quote

Interesting stuff.     I was remarking in a quote above about them being relatively easy to obtain 15 or so years ago at retail and less than retail for pre-owned ones ----    what caused the turnaround do you think ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Just ordered a high roller watch. Yellow Gold Casio Data bank . Seriously can't wait.
View Quote

Bonus points if you can score a Twist-o-flex Speidel band for it !
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]

My favorite too.     I dont wish to spend 15k for one either so im likely locked out short of a nice windfall of some sort

Just started paying attention to the watch hobby a few months ago but recall secondhand Sub's in 2003 or 4 routinely going for around 4k.    Im a catastrophe insurance adjuster and all my managers were Rolex guys and stated it was almost a ritual for guys to buy one after their first big storm -- but i was young then and thought  "Pffft - i'd rather have a Corvette "
View All Quotes

I'm looking to buy a fairly difficult model, the GMT, and I'm unwilling to buy anything I wouldn't wear myself.

Try 24-30k for a current model GMT on the secondhand market

Interesting stuff.     I was remarking in a quote above about them being relatively easy to obtain 15 or so years ago at retail and less than retail for pre-owned ones ----    what caused the turnaround do you think ?

Multiple factors converged all at once. Rolex did some modernizations across their lines starting in the mid-2010s and it really took off in 2018. Ceramic bezels on the GMT, sub, and Daytona, new movements with 70 hr power reserve, etc. This probably increased demand across the board. Then when covid hit demand for watches took off. Some attribute it to less money being spent on travel being allocated towards luxury goods. It also correlates to a huge spike in crypto and the stock market which created an influx of luxury shoppers in a younger generation. I know several people who made tons on gamestop and bitcoin in last couple years who have spent that money on cars and watches. Add in that Rolex shut down for some period of time during covid lockdowns which reduced the production numbers in a year that had higher demand already.

All of that combined created a supply/demand imbalance that brought the secondhand market prices higher than MSRP. This created a situation where people can sell used, or flip new watches, for more than they paid. This watch flipping opportunity created a whole new set of demand from people looking to turn a profit on new, unworn Rolexes. So in all we've got lifetime Rolex wearers trying to buy newer, better versions of the watches they love, new Rolex fans trying to spend their crypto money on luxury goods, wealthy people who skipped their family vacation to Europe that year looking to add to their collections, and finally a bunch of people trying to buy as many Rolexes as they can to immediately sell online for double what they paid. All while Rolex either produced the same number or fewer watches per year than pre-covid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Try 24-30k for a current model GMT on the secondhand market

Multiple factors converged all at once. Rolex did some modernizations across their lines starting in the mid-2010s and it really took off in 2018. Ceramic bezels on the GMT, sub, and Daytona, new movements with 70 hr power reserve, etc. This probably increased demand across the board. Then when covid hit demand for watches took off. Some attribute it to less money being spent on travel being allocated towards luxury goods. It also correlates to a huge spike in crypto and the stock market which created an influx of luxury shoppers in a younger generation. I know several people who made tons on gamestop and bitcoin in last couple years who have spent that money on cars and watches. Add in that Rolex shut down for some period of time during covid lockdowns which reduced the production numbers in a year that had higher demand already.

All of that combined created a supply/demand imbalance that brought the secondhand market prices higher than MSRP. This created a situation where people can sell used, or flip new watches, for more than they paid. This watch flipping opportunity created a whole new set of demand from people looking to turn a profit on new, unworn Rolexes. So in all we've got lifetime Rolex wearers trying to buy newer, better versions of the watches they love, new Rolex fans trying to spend their crypto money on luxury goods, wealthy people who skipped their family vacation to Europe that year looking to add to their collections, and finally a bunch of people trying to buy as many Rolexes as they can to immediately sell online for double what they paid. All while Rolex either produced the same number or fewer watches per year than pre-covid.
View Quote
All true but it's going to be a bubble. I hope the flippers choke on theres and the AOs eventually overflow with inventory. I've already moved on. I wanted and had $20k cash allocated for a SDDS but the games being played by AO and the grey market gave me enough time and reason to come to my senses and reprioritize into other things. I may eventually buy a Rolex or with Omega offering the Ultra Deep line for $11.5-12.5k. Either way it'll be on my terms and not by getting hosed. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Try 24-30k for a current model GMT on the secondhand market .
View Quote

I did see a handful on Bob’s Watches site In that price range (15k or so) but I flipped through so fast that I did not note their vintage
  None were with the iconic Pepsi bezel though

It is interesting these new school bit coin operators who are stepping up from their Apple watches Are still valuing old-school brands like Rolex over Some of the oversized modernistic offerings like Hublot and others

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Overall I am pretty disappointed in the new Tudor releases and am steadfast now on an Explorer I.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Overall I am pretty disappointed in the new Tudor releases and am steadfast now on an Explorer I.
View Quote
I don't mind the style of their new root beer GMT, but the BB58 is still too thicc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Just ordered a Christopher Ward C60 Elite 1000.   Wanted it for a while and finally dropped the hammer.
View Quote

CW makes a very nice watch imho. The dial colors are so solid for a lack of a better word. Like pure solid color whatever that color may be.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Just ordered a Christopher Ward C60 Elite 1000.   Wanted it for a while and finally dropped the hammer.
View Quote

Let us know how the accuracy on that watch works out. I was disappointed with the Sealander in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:23:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I finally pulled the trigger on one of the watches I was eyeballing.  Got a Breitling Superocean 42, black and yellow, on a bracelet.  I'm pretty happy with it so far.  I'm very happy with the price I paid.  

Next up, JLC Master Compressor.  It's going to be a while before I do that since the wife was not amused when I told her I got it (the Superocean).  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#47]
SKX009J inbound from Creation Watches.  Have a trip to the Big Island coming up and felt like wearing some color on my wrist for a change. Might go with a cool blue Uncle Seiko GL831 Irezumi strap too.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
SKX009J inbound from Creation Watches.  Have a trip to the Big Island coming up and felt like wearing some color on my wrist for a change. Might go with a cool blue Uncle Seiko GL831 Irezumi strap too.  

https://www.watchgecko.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Seiko-SKX-009-on-rubber-strap-5.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0503/2810/9244/products/[email protected]?v=1629818723
View Quote

A classic!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5thLegion] [#50]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif

Yes! My next major purchase. To be honest I am still back and forth on the 39 vs 36mm. Bumped into a guy with a 39mm this weekend. Awesome watch. Still, I can’t rationalize paying above retail. 36mm is sweet too, just a little out of my comfort zone. If/when I get offered a 36mm I am all over it.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top