Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 2:17:41 PM EDT
I have been looking at purchasing a higher end (at least to me) watch for some time, and finally found a watch that I really like and is within my budget ($1500). Yes, I'd rather have an Omega Seamaster, but, damn, they are a wee bit pricey.

So, on to the pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Is there anything about this watch that should deter me from purchasing it? If there is, please let me know.

ETA:

Here's the same watch, but with a blacked out bezel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one but I lust for a Sinn Flieger.

Hell, I don't even fly a plane.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
@Flyskate is who you seek.

He has a few sinns I believe. I'd never heard of them till his watch of the day thread.

I've downloaded a few faces for my smartwatch. I think they're beautiful.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine is a noted Horologist, he says that
Sinn are one the finest watches made in the World.

They're not a part of the Swatch Group, which
he says, is a good thing for quality.

I plan on acquiring a Sinn as a retirement gift to myself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Any experts care to chime in?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A friend of mine is a noted Horologist, he says that
Sinn are one the finest watches made in the World.

They're not a part of the Swatch Group, which
he says, is a good thing for quality.

I plan on acquiring a Sinn as a retirement gift to myself.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
That price range gets you:

Sinn options.

Used Omega 2254.50 (search on watchrecon)

Or

I'd just buy this knowing what I know now.

MKII Kingston.

MKII (Yao) makes an insanely nice watch for the money. It's my buy under $2k
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been looking at purchasing a higher end (at least to me) watch for some time, and finally found a watch that I really like and is within my budget ($1500). Yes, I'd rather have an Omega Seamaster, but, damn, they are a wee bit pricey.

So, on to the pics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/IMG_2482-304952.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/IMG_2483-304955.JPG

Is there anything about this watch that should deter me from purchasing it? If there is, please let me know.

ETA:

Here's the same watch, but with a blacked out bezel.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/IMG_2477-304959.JPG
View Quote

Ex-watchmaker here. Sinn's are one of my favorites. Buy it
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That price range gets you:

Sinn options.

Used Omega 2254.50 (search on watchrecon)

Or

I'd just buy this knowing what I know now.

MKII Kingston.

MKII (Yao) makes an insanely nice watch for the money. It's my buy under $2k
View Quote
That's not too bad for an Omega. Hmm.

I have never heard of Kingston, but will do some research to get up to speed. And what is it about Kingston that you personally like.

Last question: How would you rate Sinn?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Sinn makes great watches. I'd love an 857.

MKII puts out quality that's unrivaled for the price. It's a one man show using Swiss ETA movements and American craftsmanship. That and they have a massive following.

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/

ETA. Prefer my mkii over my omega

Attachment Attached File

On a NATO
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I just looked up the website. Pretty cool, to say the least.

The Sinn really grabs my attention, but would I be right in saying that the Kingston watches have a better movement?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just looked up the website. Pretty cool, to say the least.

The Sinn really grabs my attention, but would I be right in saying that the Kingston watches have a better movement?
View Quote
I know several Sinn models use ETA 2824-2, ETA 2893, and their in house SW 200-1 movement. So depending on the model you might get the same movement.

They are all great watches, this however made me want a MKII
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Sinn chrono that I thought was not the best made. I currently have a standard U1 and can say it is 100% reliable and built like a tank. The case is so hard that it will not scratch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 omegas and would own one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
If you also want another option, I would suggest Muhele Glaschutte watches. They make some of their movements in house.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
They make solid watches at their price points.  I own a Sinn 103StSa.  Its a keeper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like the look of the Sinn but want to make sure I'm getting a quality watch. I have seen some people recommend some watches that are made well, but I simply don't like how they look.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
You could always go the test route. Buy a smartwatch for under $200 and have any face you like. Including exclusives. For poor boys like me. Its a great option. I have Rolex, Seiko, Sinn, citizen, and of course. The only accurate watch.

Attachment Attached File

Pic sux, sorry
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a Sinn chrono that I thought was not the best made. I currently have a standard U1 and can say it is 100% reliable and built like a tank. The case is so hard that it will not scratch.
View Quote
What exactly did you not like?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could always go the test route. Buy a smartwatch for under $200 and have any face you like. Including exclusives. For poor boys like me. Its a great option. I have Rolex, Seiko, Sinn, citizen, and of course. The only accurate watch.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427508/20170805_103802-305363.JPG

Pic sux, sorry
View Quote
I understand what you are saying, but I want an automatic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you also want another option, I would suggest Muhele Glaschutte watches. They make some of their movements in house.
View Quote
I checked them out, but didn't like the aesthetics of any of their watches. They may be great watches, but they just don't look good to me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#22]
One of the best watchmakers in the world.(IMHO) They are made in Germany, Their watches are built like tanks, and the Sinn divers (U1,U2,etc) are literally built from German submarine steel.Many of their models are built for extreme conditions. You can't go wrong with a Sinn, and they're good value for money as well. It's the one I'm wearing today! :) BYW, love the 104, it's on my short list!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I have owned quite a few.  Even made money on them.  I even had an EZM1 with provenance which was awesome.  Get it, you wont lose money if you get a decent price.  I am tempted by the newly released EZM1.1 (or whatever) but I am done buying watches.

My old Ezm1 on rubber nato
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll add a Asian to my collection one day... but if you lust after an Omega, save a bit more and buy a nice used one.

I was wondering what watch to wear today, I think I'll break out the Seamaster now!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Sinn is a sweet watch.

Omegas used to be somewhat unknown but in the past 20 years everyone knows.  Might as well get a Rolex.

I find obscure nice watches more pretentious which I am all about.  

If you want everyone to look at your watch and go, "wow, that guy is either really wealthy or really stupid" might as well buy a Rolex.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a model 103 chronograph. I broke one of the pushers with a light strike on a wall, my fault. But it had an issue with setting the time, day and date. It would hang up every now and then. I got the watch 2nd hand, so god knows who was inside before that possibly messed with it. But like I said earlier I currently wear a U1 and recommend that model highly as a bullet proof watch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sinn is a sweet watch.

Omegas used to be somewhat unknown but in the past 20 years everyone knows.  Might as well get a Rolex.

I find obscure nice watches more pretentious which I am all about.  

If you want everyone to look at your watch and go, "wow, that guy is either really wealthy or really stupid" might as well buy a Rolex.
View Quote
Lol. I just want something that looks nice and is of good quality. That's it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol. I just want something that looks nice and is of qood quality. That's it.
View Quote
Any Seiko will meet that criteria.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I just want something that looks nice and is of qood quality. That's it.
True, but I want something more than that. I guess it's like buying a Knight's Armament rifle instead of a plain old Colt M4.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True, but I want something more than that. I guess it's like buying a Knight's Armament rifle instead of a plain old Colt M4.
View Quote
so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

But be very honest with yourself about what you want so you can make a good decision.

If you want a watch that will impress people who know watches, a Sinn or MKII is a good choice.   Everybody loves and knows a Rolex but a watch "snob" would probably not be impressed by the choice.
If you want a watch that will impress anybody, Rolex/Breitling/Omega will work.  A Sinn or MK II will not
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It will also gain minutes every week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Love me some Sinn.   I had the U1 and U2 as well as the UX.     Both of the U1 and U2 kept to a few seconds a day.  Of course, the UX was spot on for the month.    Didn't like the crystal on the U1.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

But be very honest with yourself about what you want so you can make a good decision.

If you want a watch that will impress people who know watches, a Sinn or MKII is a good choice.   Everybody loves and knows a Rolex but a watch "snob" would probably not be impressed by the choice.
If you want a watch that will impress anybody, Rolex/Breitling/Omega will work.  A Sinn or MK II will not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

My Panerai 005 and IWC Portuguese chrono look down on Rolex.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

My Rolex looks down on your Panerai and IWC
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

View Quote
Imagine how green the Air Force pukes would be if they spied a Sinn Flieger 356 on your wrist.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Imagine how green the Air Force pukes would be if they spied a Sinn Flieger 356 on your wrist.

View Quote
they wouldn't care.

If I had a Breitling they would be jealous that I got to suck John Travolta's cock in a 707, however.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

they wouldn't care.

If I had a Breitling they would be jealous that I got to suck John Travolta's cock in a 707, however.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't worry about perceived "tier status" or what other people will think of the watch. After you have verified a specific timepiece is accurate, rugged enough for your use, and has sufficient customer support, buy what you want, not what someone tells you is the "right" watch to buy. I also consider resale value to be very important.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

so that's not "it"

Its OK.  

View Quote
Some truth to this. Only comments my vantage has received are from buddies who like watches - but they also are Sinn, Omega, and Rolex owners.

My company's CFO asked about it as he has been looking at Air Kings and explorers - so the case / bracelet caught his eye. Offered me 1.5x what I paid for it. He's since bought a nice oyster datejust but is looking for a MKII Kingston as he wants a diver too. The fact he can't just buy one new I think annoys him and is driving him to search for one
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

they wouldn't care.

View Quote
Always ask Breitling owners to show you all of the bezel functions:  Ground speed, miler per minute, gas consumption, rate of climb etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been wearing this one that last couple weeks for hurricane prep and unprep.  I love Sinn watches, and have had no issues with any of them (own 4 of them).  If I could ever track down the 203 ARKTIS, I will be jumping all over it.  I personally love the the understatement of them, and for the most part no one knows what your wearing.  That and they are built like tanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top