Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 12:09:55 AM EDT
I realize there are a number of you here who know watches fairly well.  I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some ideas on a watch I saw today.  I was in a restaurant and it was a situation in which it would have been wholly inappropriate to simply go ask the person "what kind of watch is that?".

-well over 40mm
-round case
-black leather strap
-Arabic 3/6/9/12 dial
-large diameter winding crown, large enough to draw attention to the diameter
-would, at a distance, appear to be a Panerai but did not have that usual guard around the winding crown.
-no blatant brand name on the face (at 10' away anyhow)

I've gone to the Panerai website and it's not anything currently on their site but at a distance it sure looked like one of theirs....but the very large diameter crown and no crown guard...

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Large round case, Arabic numerals and a large winding crown is indicative of a pilot watch.

Similar to this?:
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Oris Big Crown maybe

Sinn 556a has those arabics but not a big crown.  

Seiko sarg009 has a similar look
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My eyesight isn't perfect but there didn't appear to be a date, and it was so close to a Panerai that I googled Panerai images for 20 minutes when I got home.

Had I exited the restaurant five minutes earlier I'd have simply asked the guy when he walked out but timing wasn't right.

It was large-ish, black strap with a certain level of gloss to it, crytal had an ever so slight bubble but not extreme (definitely not flat though).
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Not all Panerais have that crown guard so it still could have been one.  Did you notice if it had wire lugs?

The PAM610 seems to match your description.  Also there are plenty of companies that have panerai homages too.  
Sorry for the huge pic!!

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all Panerais have that crown guard so it still could have been one.  Did you notice if it had wire lugs?

The PAM610 seems to match your description.  Also there are plenty of companies that have panerai homages too.  
Sorry for the huge pic!!

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Panerai-Radiomir-Black-Seal-8-Days-PAM610-aBlogtoWatch-29.jpg
View Quote
Definitely no wire lugs and a truly round case rather than the squarish one in your photo, but thank you, I appreciate the effort.

It had flag/triangular (sorry, I don't know the proper term) hands, they weren't straight bars.

The larger than usual crown also got my attention.  Otherwise it was a very simple rendition of a timepiece, which is probably why I'm wishing I'd just gone to the guys table and asked what it was at this point.  Oh well.

Maybe I'll see it again but my google searching has come up empty.  At first glance I saw the very slight bubbled crystal and for a split second (before I saw the dial) it looked like an older Omega but then that 3/6/9/12 dial and my thoughts drifted toward Panerai.  No date or huge brand name but I was 10' away.

I've been wearing the same 5513 Sub since 1983 so I'm not really 'in the market' for a new watch, but it was quite visually appealing....what I could see of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably wrong.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Possibly a limited edition or older Anonimo. Company had ties to Panerai.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f16/historic-anonimo-watch-you-wearing-884311.html

Anonimo Polluce?
http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/Polluce.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
So, after much internet surfing, the closest I can find (and I'm still not it's it...) is the Tudor Heritage Ranger if it were to have a black leather strap on it.  At a distance, in a dimly lit restaurant, and allowing for my less than perfect 51 year old eye (yep, just one), the closest I can find online is that Tudor...

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I realize there are a number of you here who know watches fairly well.  I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some ideas on a watch I saw today.  I was in a restaurant and it was a situation in which it would have been wholly inappropriate to simply go ask the person "what kind of watch is that?".

-well over 40mm
-round case
-black leather strap
-Arabic 3/6/9/12 dial
-large diameter winding crown, large enough to draw attention to the diameter
-would, at a distance, appear to be a Panerai but did not have that usual guard around the winding crown.
-no blatant brand name on the face (at 10' away anyhow)

I've gone to the Panerai website and it's not anything currently on their site but at a distance it sure looked like one of theirs....but the very large diameter crown and no crown guard...

Any thoughts?
View Quote

I always like when someone comments on my watch.
Usually, I'll take it off and hand it to them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always like when someone comments on my watch.
Usually, I'll take it off and hand it to them.
View Quote
That's a nice Blancpain you got there, can I hold it?... On a completely unrelated note, what's your best time in the 100M?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Needs some mkii sex

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top