Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2017 5:03:57 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has some old pocket watches he wants to sell. He does not know what they are worth or the best place to sell them. I took some pictures but they arent very cclear.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The far right is a plain old stop watch. The Timex is valueless the others without manufacturer or better photo's? The gold ones will make a big difference if they are real gold or plated.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Try and look at the faces to determine manufacturer.

If they are antique mechanical watches they will have a screwback or pop-open rear case.  The movement inside will be labeled with manufacturer, model, and serial number that can often be looked up online to determine rarity.

Pocketwatch cases were often made by jewelers and not the watch manufacturer, so if the face isn't labeled the only way to check for manufacturer is to open the case.

If you are clean and careful you can do this yourself, there are no doubt youtube videos demonstrating the technique.  It isn't difficult, but if you are a clutz or in a dirty area it isn't a good idea as each mechanism is a finely tuned machine consisting of hundreds of synchronized moving parts.

Once you determine manufacture and age from the serial numbers, look up similar sold watches on Ebay.  As a general guide they could run from $20 to $500 apiece depending on what they are, so it is worthwhile to identify them rather than sell them as a lot.

ETA: If they are quartz pocket watches they may be worth $5-15 apiece unless real gold.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You've got some nice looking cases, but nothing jumps out as worth a lot. I can see one is a Timex. That's was a pretty middle of the road pocket watch.

Expensive stuff that you might be able to sell is generally is going to be:

railroad grade movement. Usually made by Ball, Hamilton, Waltham or Elgin. 21 jewel movement being the most common in the 20th century.

A solid gold case. Twist off the back cover. It will be labeled there as solid gold, rolled gold or gold plated. (I'm guessing they are plated because I can see where the gold is worn off in your photos.

Swiss... I don't really know much about Swiss pocket watches. If there's one in there, it might be worth something.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The gold ones appeared to be plated to me. I thimk i saw silver where the plating was worn off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Would it help if i got better pics of the faces of them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top