Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2017 4:58:38 PM EDT
Well I didn't purchase it, but was gifted it by my stepfather who has raised me since a young boy.  I've always aggravated him for years and years about wanting the watch.  He always told me "when the time is right".  Well two weeks ago we had him with us on our family vacation in NC and he said "Hey come here, I have something for you."  Well as I rounded the corner, sure enough he handed me the watch, box, and all receipts from Carlyle that were in impeccable condition even though purchased in 1994.  I was floored, and almost moved to tears as I was sure the next statement out of his mouth was "I'm dying."  Thankfully that was not the case.  Anyways this is the first luxury timepiece that I have owned.  This is something that will go to my son when the time is right, and so forth and so on.  Sorry for the long story, here are a few photos.  Needless to say this watch is amazing and still operates flawlessly.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
congrats
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Great !.....if you wear watches.  I quit wearing them about 10 years ago.  I makes life so much simpler now
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great !.....if you wear watches.  I quit wearing them about 10 years ago.  I makes life so much simpler now
View Quote
Yet you post in the "watches and time pieces" sub-forum...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations! Nice watch, but be careful...they might multiply over time!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome and congratulations!  My father handed me down his that's almost identical (plain indices; no diamonds)--they're great watches!  Take care of it and it will serve you and your children well.

ETA: If your crystal is acrylic as well then hop on Amazon and grab a small tube of Polywatch.  An easy buff with a microfiber towel and a bit of Polywatch should take out 95% of any scratches you've got on there.  I do mine maybe once or twice per year and it keeps the crystal looking brand new.  If you are unsure if your crystal is acrylic put it up to your cheek--if it feels slightly warm it is acrylic.  If it is ice cold it would be sapphire and Polywatch would do you no good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Frickin awesome heirloom!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine would be simpler without a smartphone.

And I'd still be on time.

OP nice watch. Has it ever had a service? If not it would be the right thing to do to ensure years of good service.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Awesome and congratulations!  My father handed me down his that's almost identical (plain indices; no diamonds)--they're great watches!  Take care of it and it will serve you and your children well.

ETA: If your crystal is acrylic as well then hop on Amazon and grab a small tube of Polywatch.  An easy buff with a microfiber towel and a bit of Polywatch should take out 95% of any scratches you've got on there.  I do mine maybe once or twice per year and it keeps the crystal looking brand new.  If you are unsure if your crystal is acrylic put it up to your cheek--if it feels slightly warm it is acrylic.  If it is ice cold it would be sapphire and Polywatch would do you no good.
View Quote
It was ice cold.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP nice watch. Has it ever had a service? If not it would be the right thing to do to ensure years of good service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he said he had it serviced years ago but nothing recently.  It's on my to do list either this year or next.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Why are the WASD keys on your keyboard red?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gaming board that came with the pc. Those keys are used for forward, back, left, and right.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gaming board that came with the pc. Those keys are used for forward, back, left, and right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My life is now complete. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice, congrats!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a guy out of Hong Kong that's a wizard at restoring worn out, loose Rolex jubilee bracelets.
I have his info around here somewhere.
He tightens them up and polishes them like new for a fraction of the price of a new Rolex jubilee.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool watch, and a great story.

Quoted:
There's a guy out of Hong Kong that's a wizard at restoring worn out, loose Rolex jubilee bracelets.
I have his info around here somewhere.
He tightens them up and polishes them like new for a fraction of the price of a new Rolex jubilee.
View Quote
Tag in the hopes you find his name.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Found it:
Michael Young
http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Congratulations! Nice watch, but be careful...they might multiply over time!
View Quote
This guy knows what he's talking about. My wife bought me my sub as a wedding gift.... it's all I can do to keep from browsing the store every time I'm near one. The new gold with black band

Any who - plan to pass mine down to my future kid when he gets married.

Congrats OP
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Found it:
Michael Young
View Quote
I saw his name pop up quite a bit when doing some research.  Have you used Michael Young before?  I've thought about sending off my bracelet to him--what was turnaround time like, are you happy with the results (worth the cost?), have any issues with with shipping to HK?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I saw his name pop up quite a bit when doing some research.  Have you used Michael Young before?  I've thought about sending off my bracelet to him--what was turnaround time like, are you happy with the results (worth the cost?), have any issues with with shipping to HK?
View Quote
My brother used him to restore an older Rolex Explorer II bracelet he nearly destroyed in a motorcycle accident.
The bracelet was stretched, twisted, scratched and the clasp was jacked up (the arm it was attached to was broken in multiple places as well).
If I remember right it only cost him around $200 and the bracelet came back looking and feeling like new in around 2 months.
Not bad when a new bracelet was going to cost nearly $1000.
That's been 5-7 years ago or so and he's still wearing that same watch all day every day, so it wasn't just a "temporary" fix.

I've both shipped and received a lot of items from HK.
In my experience DHL or Fed-Ex are the best when it comes to international shipping (DHL is the fastest at clearing customs).
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Michael is pretty well known over on the Rolex forum....he seems to have very good reputation and is busy
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Found it:
Michael Young
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it:
Michael Young
That's great, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Rolex DateJust is a truly timeless piece.  They were the first watch to ever have an automatic date complication on the watch.  I have one (from my dad) and it is the most versatile watch you will ever own.  You can wear it with a tuxedo or a bathing suit.  Congrats.  Get it serviced (unless it has been recently), will cost you 500-800 but well worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top