Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 9/4/2017 11:47:58 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting taking the class and getting Scuba certified for a few years now.  I now have a trip planned for Turks and Caicos, specifically the grace bay area of Providenciales.  

I've looked at some local(to my house) dive shops online that have classes.  Evidently you need to buy your own mask, snorkel, and fins before taking the class.  Ballpark, what should I budget for those items?

I'm assuming I should take the class before going on the trip or should I take it down there?  Also, should I just take the instructional class and pool time here and then do my open water excursions down there?

Also, any recommendations for the trip?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Evidently you need to buy your own mask, snorkel, and fins before taking the class.  Ballpark, what should I budget for those items?
View Quote

This is like asking how much a gun cost. You could spend $80 or you could spend $500. It really all depends. I would recommend taking your complete class here so you can enjoy your vacation diving and not taking a class. Given your area though I don't know how easy that will be.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
get a basic (but good) starter set, like Cressi set of fins, snorkel, mask. good quality on each for about $60 on Amazon, and you can upgrade each or all as you go. i got this set several years ago and have used for many scuba and snorkel trips, no issues. ended up buying same set for my son when he needed a set.
as for the equipment requirement, i dont remember needing any equipment when i got certified. and every dive/snorkel trip we've done on vacation, all equipment (including mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, etc.) was provided, although you could use your own if you have it. i would think your local place would have loaner gear to sample, with the chance at selling you their equipment after youve taken their class.

for the Scuba classes, you may want to check with the place you're going to scuba with on vacation - they may still treat you somewhat like a non-certified diver if you just got certified before vacation and dont really have any experience.
if you are only planning on doing basic diving (lets call that open water 30 ft and less), which is what most of the vacation orientated scuba trips do, the quickie ~1hr class they give you before hitting the water will be sufficient, and thats typically what all non-certified divers go when they go on vacation and go scuba diving. then, if youre into it, you can continue classes back at home for full certification, advanced certification, etc.
unless this is a diving-centered vacation/trip, i dont know that id want to spend the extra time getting certified, when a 1 hr quickie familiarization will suffice

however, if you think you may have issues with ear-clearing due to changes in pressure, (or some people have problems getting comfortable breathing through a regulator), might be better to find out now through a quick class (not a full certification), as that could throw a wrench in the works for your trip. the couple we ended up diving with had done some basic pool work at the resort the day before our open water dive and apparently had no issues.  got out for our open water dive and despite multiple attempts to clear, ascend, and descend, she wasnt able to make it down past 5-10ft and had to abort the dive because of being unable to clear the ear pressure/pain
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing to keep in mind, is that the quality of instruction down there MAY not be as high as it is with a local, US run shop. Now, that may not necessarily be the case, but foreign destinations are sometimes less...concerned with some training/limitations, etc. Of course, you could find a great shop there, and a shitty one in the US. If you're thinking about taking it down there, I would make sure that I found a 5 star PADI shop. Also, like mentioned, it may depend on just how much time you have down there for diving.

As far ask mask/fins/snorkel, I'm surprised your local shop insists that you buy those. Like mentioned, Cressi sells pretty decent equipment. Tusa and Aqualung make good masks, as well. Those, however, can get a little pricey. Some may laugh, but I got a Body Glove mask and snorkel kit over 15 years ago, and those were my primary set until just January of this year. I know the mask was cheap, but I love it, and it still works great. "Snorkel" fins are usually a bit soft, but should work okay for you. If you're not certain that you're going to truly get into the sport, I'd say try to spend less than $100 or right there, and you should get some decent equipment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One thing to keep in mind, is that the quality of instruction down there MAY not be as high as it is with a local, US run shop. Now, that may not necessarily be the case, but foreign destinations are sometimes less...concerned with some training/limitations, etc. Of course, you could find a great shop there, and a shitty one in the US. If you're thinking about taking it down there, I would make sure that I found a 5 star PADI shop. Also, like mentioned, it may depend on just how much time you have down there for diving.

As far ask mask/fins/snorkel, I'm surprised your local shop insists that you buy those. Like mentioned, Cressi sells pretty decent equipment. Tusa and Aqualung make good masks, as well. Those, however, can get a little pricey. Some may laugh, but I got a Body Glove mask and snorkel kit over 15 years ago, and those were my primary set until just January of this year. I know the mask was cheap, but I love it, and it still works great. "Snorkel" fins are usually a bit soft, but should work okay for you. If you're not certain that you're going to truly get into the sport, I'd say try to spend less than $100 or right there, and you should get some decent equipment.
View Quote
Why are you surprised the local shop insists OP buy mask/snorkel/fins? Every shop I know of requires you to have those before a class.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, we're the only shop in town, so I guess I do have limited experience. But, we don't charge. We do offer 15% off new equipment if you're getting any certification, however.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the replies.

Those you're asking, there are two dive shops that I can find in the Tulsa area. Both require that you purchase mask, snorkel, fins and booties  before taking your class. Everything else is provided but they do not provide those.

I have heard that those items are more of a personal fit thing.   I'm assuming I should purchase those at my local dive shop  because I doubt I could size my mask correctly online?

Looks like I'm probably going to take the class here before I go and get completely certified before I get down there. I'm not traveling with anyone that is certified but I think my girlfriend may get certified as well.  There used to be a dive shop outside of the condo that they used so she's been diving before but I guess they never really required certification for her or her family
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you for the replies.

Those you're asking, there are two dive shops that I can find in the Tulsa area. Both require that you purchase mask, snorkel, fins and booties  before taking your class. Everything else is provided but they do not provide those.

I have heard that those items are more of a personal fit thing.   I'm assuming I should purchase those at my local dive shop  because I doubt I could size my mask correctly online?

Looks like I'm probably going to take the class here before I go and get completely certified before I get down there. I'm not traveling with anyone that is certified but I think my girlfriend may get certified as well.  There used to be a dive shop outside of the condo that they used so she's been diving before but I guess they never really required certification for her or her family
View Quote
Yes, mask is a very fit sensitive item. Buy it local if at all possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
How soon is your trip? Because there may not be a Turks and Caicos in the near future.

I second the recommendation to get a decent mask, fin, and snorkel set.

A few different options on cert. This is assuming the place is PADI.

1) Contact the dive center you're going through ahead of time. You can knock out all of the book work and videos before you get there. You'd do the knowledge reviews, then go right to confined water 1-5. You can usually knock out confined in a few hours and then jump into open water. It's possible to do confined in the morning, and do two open water training dives (most dive boats do a two tank dive and most places that have multiple boats put OW divers on one and Advanced OW divers on the other). That would leave two more dives that you could do on day 2. Then you'd just have to knock out the written exam and you're certified.
2) Don't contact the shop ahead of time and you'd end up having to do at least a half to a full day of classroom before you can get in the pool.
3) Get certified before you go. Depending on where in OK you live you'd probably do most, if not all of your wet sessions in a lake.
Depending on how much time you have before your trip you can work on your skills for a little while before going. If you have enough time you can knock out your AOW before the trip.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Will there be anywhere still standing in the Turks after this week?

I had to buy mask fins and snorkel.  I bought a decent Cressi snorkel set on amazon.  It had smaller fins that were ok in a pool.  I needed to buy bigger scuba fins and borrow some for ocean diving, because the snorkel fins weren't up to the task.  I would just buy fins and mask at your dive shop, so you can buy what is good and has proper fit.  That way you buy a mask and fins 1 time, not buy a cheap set and then buy better ones.  Remember, buy once and cry once.  You don't need most expensive, just ones that fit properly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How soon is your trip? Because there may not be a Turks and Caicos in the near future.

I second the recommendation to get a decent mask, fin, and snorkel set.

A few different options on cert. This is assuming the place is PADI.

1) Contact the dive center you're going through ahead of time. You can knock out all of the book work and videos before you get there. You'd do the knowledge reviews, then go right to confined water 1-5. You can usually knock out confined in a few hours and then jump into open water. It's possible to do confined in the morning, and do two open water training dives (most dive boats do a two tank dive and most places that have multiple boats put OW divers on one and Advanced OW divers on the other). That would leave two more dives that you could do on day 2. Then you'd just have to knock out the written exam and you're certified.
2) Don't contact the shop ahead of time and you'd end up having to do at least a half to a full day of classroom before you can get in the pool.
3) Get certified before you go. Depending on where in OK you live you'd probably do most, if not all of your wet sessions in a lake.
Depending on how much time you have before your trip you can work on your skills for a little while before going. If you have enough time you can knock out your AOW before the trip.
View Quote
I lucked out and did this basic thing for a one on one class with my BIL dive buddy who's an instructor.  I read the book and studied and did quizzes, and on our drive from VA to FL, my wife requizzed me.  We got to the instructor's place,  we did some formal stuff and got right to it.  I can see a "proper classroom session" being a whole day or more.  We spent all day in the pool, did written exam, and next day got in the ocean to finish the training.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The good news is you can do a fair bit of the book work these days online I'm told.
View Quote
Fair bit? How about all of it!

I did all of mine online, then had a 3 hour review session.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: Fair bit? How about all of it! I did all of mine online, then had a 3 hour review session.
View Quote
it is a bit of a cost comparison game...
What's cheaper? To do the PADI Online or Touch thing or buy the book and the video.
Either way, you need to do a review with the instructor so...
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about cost. It's a heck of a lot more convenient. Why be stuck in a classroom for 3 nights if you don't have to?

Remember, I'm not PADI....
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The good news is you can do a fair bit of the book work these days online I'm told.

My son did the PADI elearning course and then did an 8 hour day with the instructors that included review and required pool time.  Did open water cert dives in Aruba when on vacation. He was 12

PADI elearning is $179
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.scubatulsa.com/

They do the PADI online and then pool time. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Will there be anywhere still standing in the Turks after this week?

I had to buy mask fins and snorkel.  I bought a decent Cressi snorkel set on amazon.  It had smaller fins that were ok in a pool.  I needed to buy bigger scuba fins and borrow some for ocean diving, because the snorkel fins weren't up to the task.  I would just buy fins and mask at your dive shop, so you can buy what is good and has proper fit.  That way you buy a mask and fins 1 time, not buy a cheap set and then buy better ones.  Remember, buy once and cry once.  You don't need most expensive, just ones that fit properly.
View Quote
Looks like the airport area got flooded a bit and some damage around the island but not nearly as bad as Barbuda or USVI.  My trip is not for another 5 months so everything broken should be completely fixed everywhere by then.  The condo is right on the beach on Grace Bay on Providenciales and had no major damage.  I heard even the boats fared pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks like the airport area got flooded a bit and some damage around the island but not nearly as bad as Barbuda or USVI.  My trip is not for another 5 months so everything broken should be completely fixed everywhere by then.  The condo is right on the beach on Grace Bay on Providenciales and had no major damage.  I heard even the boats fared pretty well.
View Quote
Don't count on everything being fixed.  When I was in Grand Turk  in October on a cruise, we did a segway tour around the island.  The local guy was telling us all about the stuff where we were at.  Probably half of the places are ruins from a hurricane 8-10 years ago.   Outside of the beach looking to the water, that end of the island near the cruise terminal was mostly a shanty town.  I can't remember the name of the place we went for the segways, but they were a dive shop also.  Back then, I wasn't interested in scuba, so I didn't pay as much attention.

ETA:  I guess we were on Grand Turk, not Providenciales.  Here is the dive shop we did segway rides from.

https://www.visittci.com/grand-turk/things-to-do/diving/oasis-divers
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't count on everything being fixed.  When I was in Grand Turk  in October on a cruise, we did a segway tour around the island.  The local guy was telling us all about the stuff where we were at.  Probably half of the places are ruins from a hurricane 8-10 years ago.   Outside of the beach looking to the water, that end of the island near the cruise terminal was mostly a shanty town.  I can't remember the name of the place we went for the segways, but they were a dive shop also.  Back then, I wasn't interested in scuba, so I didn't pay as much attention.

ETA:  I guess we were on Grand Turk, not Providenciales.  Here is the dive shop we did segway rides from.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should've clarified that I mean all the tourist/vacation areas everything being fixed. Many of the TC islands have little shantytowns where the Islanders live and usually when those get destroyed, a lot of those buildings don't get rebuilt.  Tourism is the lifeblood of that country so the airport will probably get put back into service within the next few days, probably the terminal will be mostly repaired within a few months, any of the popular restaurants and shops will probably be back in action by November at the latest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know about cost. It's a heck of a lot more convenient. Why be stuck in a classroom for 3 nights if you don't have to?
Remember, I'm not PADI....
View Quote
Who would be stuck in a classroom for 3 nights?
This is how I've been doing my classes:
(1) Go buy the course pack that includes the book, the paperwork, the dive log, a whistle and a safety sausage.
(2) Fill out the student file. Make sure they don't have medical issues that need to be cleared prior to class. If so, get an exam before class.
(3) Read the book / do the knowledge reviews. If they buy the video, watch the video.
(4) Day 1 - Meet for class. go over knowledge reviews. The video extends the class longer if it needs to be done on-site.
(5) Day 2 - 1 day of pool work (Confined Water 1-5)
(6) Day 3 - Open Water 1-2
(7) Day 4 - Open water 3-4

Some places will do classroom, then go to the pool in the same day. Some may do classroom and pool in the morning, then get on a boat and do OW 1-2 in the afternoon. I usually do class the night before. I'm not trying to push people through like a high-volume dive shop.
If the students are fast learners OW dive 1 can be done the same day as the CW 1-5. In those case OW 2-4 can be done in one day.
So in theory, the entire certification could be done in 3 days if the academics are done as independent learning so that the only thing required for classroom would be knowledge reviews and quizzes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#21]
There are a number shops up here that have you in a clasroom for 3 nights if you don't do the elearning. It's 2 nights with my shop. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do elearning.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Again, there's e-learning, and there's independent learning.
The difference.... one is digital and has movies embedded in the lessons and is about 2x the price vs. a paper book and a 3.5 hour DVD that corresponds with the sections in the book.
Either way, you do it on your own time at your own pace and when you're done... you meet with the instructor who assesses your understanding through the knowledge reviews.
At least that's how PADI does it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]
It really comes down to do you want to spend your vacation in a dive shop's classroom or do you want to spend your vacation diving.  

I took my OW at Texas Tech spring semester 2001.  So I was ready as hell to go somewhere and dive!  :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Also take this into consideration. It's kind of a "sales ploy" for dive shops, but in all honesty they're doing you a favor. Keep in mind I don't know the exact pricing packages shops offer in the area you're going. Shop around and ask questions. This place, for example, seems a little pricier than I expected. BUt their OW course price looks o be based on using the eLearning rather than the book.

Most dive operations charge around $100 for a two-tank dive. If you plan on doing a full day (4 dives), that'll run you around $200.
Some dive operations have DMs/guides that will take groups around the dive site. Some operations include this in the price, others charge extra.

When you take a class you're paying somewhere around $400. So you could look at it as 2x the price. Or you could look at it as 1/2 the price.
If you're paying $400 to do it before vacation you're going to pay another $200 or more on your trip.
Shop around, if you haven't, for a dive shop that does instruction. Most shops in a tourist area are looking to get your certified fast to begin with. Ask if you can do the course work ahead of time to cut down on the classroom time at the shop. Odds are they do this. Get the course material (they may even mail it to you), do the book work (and also any medical exams you might need based on your responses to the medical evaluation), and I can almost guarantee you will be on a boat that afternoon.

The open water skills are easy once you've mastered them in the pool, which, for most people doesn't take very long.
Recommendation: Look on youtube for PADI Confined Water Skills. You can see what you'll have to do.

You'll knock out the open water skills on each dive pretty fast, and then you're free to explore the site... what you would be doing anyway, except that in a class you pretty much have your own private guide (depending on how many people are in your class).

So unless you're going to get certified and do a lot of diving before your trip, you'll only be 4 dives smarter than you would be had you waited to get there.

Just my two cents though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Just paid for 2 kids and my wife to do classes.  Stepson did it at a more expensive shop.  I think it was about $1300 with mask, fins, booties, and wetsuit-they requires all that gear.  They were also pushing more gear. Wife and other kid were $450 for the class and so far $300 for each gear (no wet suit).  Class did not push any gear.  When I got mine, no gear was required and I think the class was $200 through informal classes at the university.

Not sure what other gear I might collect before our trip.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just paid for 2 kids and my wife to do classes.  Stepson did it at a more expensive shop.  I think it was about $1300 with mask, fins, booties, and wetsuit-they requires all that gear.  They were also pushing more gear. Wife and other kid were $450 for the class and so far $300 for each gear (no wet suit).  Class did not push any gear.  When I got mine, no gear was required and I think the class was $200 through informal classes at the university.

Not sure what other gear I might collect before our trip.
View Quote
Here it's standard to get all your "personal" equipment - mask, snorkel, fins, booties. Any other equipment is included with my shop, even drysuit if you want to do the OW quarry dives dry.

You should really have an SMB, spool, and a whistle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#27]
While elearning is good for most, I think the class my wife and daughter are taking is in theory above and beyond reasonable for them. Both are having issue with breathing underwater.  They have offered multiple extra pool time seasons for them to figure it out.   Think they are getting 6 days in pool, 2 open water. (one pool day was just testing swimming proficienc).  That said, if step daughter does not get her ass in gear she deserves to fail the class.  She panicked out of one pool season, blew off a make up (that my wife drove 90 miles to meet her at), then "forgot" her bathing suite Monday.  Wife panicked last season, so will go for extra pool time tomorrow.

I would be even more pissed if the vacation was already paid for-wait it is...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
While elearning is good for most, I think the class my wife and daughter are taking is in theory above and beyond reasonable for them. Both are having issue with breathing underwater.  They have offered multiple extra pool time seasons for them to figure it out.   Think they are getting 6 days in pool (one was just swimming testing-10 minute tread, 10 laps (not sure pool size), 1 length under water.  That skaid, if step daughter does not get her ass in gear she deserves to fail the class.  She panicked out of one pool season, blew off a make up (that my wife drove 90 miles to meet her at), then "forgot" her bathing suite Monday.  Wife panicked last season, so will go for extra pool time tomorrow.

I would be even more pissed in the vacation was already paid for-wait it is...
View Quote
E-learning is or not is totally different from the issues you describe. They're having issues with the actually pool sessions. Doesn't matter whether or not if you do elearning or classroom if you have issues in the water.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top