Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 9/4/2017 2:32:32 PM EDT
Long story short, In July I had a heart attack and a week later went into Cardiac Arrest. I now have a stent and an ICD. My cardio doctor says no more diving. I only dove a couple of times a year at best, so I have some used equipment that is in really good shape and I'm not sure what to do with it. The last time it was used was in 2007. I washed everything with fresh water, allowed it to dry and put it back in the boxes and everything was stored in my home, so maybe the gear has seen 20 dives total. I need someone with more experience than I to help determine if everything is sellable and safe. Here is what I have
Suunto Cobra #5403 Dive Computer
Mares R2 Axis #416210 1st and 2nd stage Regulator
Aqua Lung Titan LX #129390 1st and 2nd stage Regulator
Aqua Lung Seaquest Balance BCD with 2 3# and 2 5# Internal shot weights
Catalina Cylinders M4002 Pony Bottle
Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
10 years of non-use is a lot and everything will require service. You just need to factor that into your pricing. The tank will be out of viz and hydro as well. What size is the pony? Where are you located at?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
On January 18th, 2007 I had a myocardial infarction and a stent placed in my LAD. I also had to give up diving as well. I ended up giving away my gear as servicing gets very expensive if it wasn't used regularly. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is 80 cu ft, I'm in New Jersey
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The dive computer probably isn't worth anything. A 10 year old computer is likely hopelessly out of date.

I don't know if you'll be able to get anything for the gear, besides the tank.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The dive computer probably isn't worth anything. A 10 year old computer is likely hopelessly out of date.

View Quote
looks like it is worth something

Beginning September 1, 2016 through October 31, 2016, bring in your used computer to any participating authorized Suunto Dive retailer and you will receive: $300 toward a DX or EON Steel; $200 toward a D6i or D6i Novo; $150 toward a D4i Novo; $50 toward aZoop Novo or Zoop Novo Combo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

looks like it is worth something

Beginning September 1, 2016 through October 31, 2016, bring in your used computer to any participating authorized Suunto Dive retailer and you will receive: $300 toward a DX or EON Steel; $200 toward a D6i or D6i Novo; $150 toward a D4i Novo; $50 toward aZoop Novo or Zoop Novo Combo.
View Quote
yup.
oceanic too.
OP.... send it to me for $40?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Serious?

Cobra's have been around a while, so it may be a 1st gen.  Nothing wrong with using an older computer.  I dive some that are over 10 years old and have used some dating to the '90's.

OP, sorry to hear about you giving up the sport.   The cobra, air integrated right?, should bring you at least $100 by itself.  You will need to establish that it works though...change out the battery make sure it powers up and if possible dunk it to see if it goes into dive mode.  
Reg sets are somewhere between $30-$40 per stage.  This is factoring in that they need to be serviced.  BC, meh $60-$100.   This is based on what you are describing.
AL 80 Tank is the least valuable...$40 for something out of hydro, maybe $50 if it is a newer tank.
I would try selling local first...use FB marketplace and maybe cracklist to see if anything bites.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Serious?

Cobra's have been around a while, so it may be a 1st gen.  Nothing wrong with using an older computer.  I dive some that are over 10 years old and have used some dating to the '90's.

OP, sorry to hear about you giving up the sport.   The cobra, air integrated right?, should bring you at least $100 by itself.  You will need to establish that it works though...change out the battery make sure it powers up and if possible dunk it to see if it goes into dive mode.  
Reg sets are somewhere between $30-$40 per stage.  This is factoring in that they need to be serviced.  BC, meh $60-$100.   This is based on what you are describing.
AL 80 Tank is the least valuable...$40 for something out of hydro, maybe $50 if it is a newer tank.
I would try selling local first...use FB marketplace and maybe cracklist to see if anything bites.
View Quote
Yes the Cobra is air integrated and has the compass, I emailed Suunto to see if it makes any difference in reference to updates but I don't think it will. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Serious?

View Quote
Who the heck wants equipment that's sat for 10 years, and how much older than that? Maybe someone who dives once a year?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have equipment that has sat for over 30 years...still worked
I dive just about every weekend 1.5 to 4 hours.

If I were close to OP, I would verify, but I bet the regs still lock up fine after 10 years of storage.  Not saying they don't need to be serviced though.

Used gear ain't for everybody.  Dive shops need to sell to someone.
Understanding how they work is the key to selection.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes the Cobra is air integrated and has the compass, I emailed Suunto to see if it makes any difference in reference to updates but I don't think it will. Thanks for the help.
View Quote
I wouldn't worry about updates, but would be about recalls.  They'll let you know.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Cobra is a great computer.  I bought mine used in 2001 and used it up until last year, till I went with a Perdix.  The Cobra will be used on my son's gear.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm waiting for a new battery to make sure that it works, Then I will put it along with the other stuff on EE and why yes the reg's will need to be checked by a dive shop, I did that every year before I dove just because I didn't dive but a couple times a year. The mares unit was for the pony bottle and I used the Titan LX as my primary.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Throw it in the Scubaboard classifieds. Much larger audience.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Throw it in the Scubaboard classifieds. Much larger audience.
View Quote
Thanks for ththe advice, I will do that
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top