Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2017 6:52:54 AM EDT
Pros and cons of each.  My scuba lessons this past week included doing shore dives near the pier at Lauderdale-by-the-sea.  While getting gear together, I needed to borrow fins from my brother in law.  He had a set of solids and a set of split fins.  He said I should take the solids.  Didn't really pick his brain on the reasonings so I will ask the hive.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion only.  I've owned several sets of each.  Splits are more efficient for long distance finning, like on the surface to a dive site from shore.  Solids are more precise and maneuverable in tight confines.  For boat dives I use my jet fins.  For shore dive I use splits, especially if there is a long fin on the surface to or from.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The appeal to split fins is that they are easier on the legs. They are easier to fin, but they offer less propulsion for the energy expended (think about pedaling a bike in the wrong gear). If you've got bad knees, split fins can make finning much more comfortable. They will never propel you as fast or as efficiently as a solid pair of fins. The most efficient fins tend to be long freediving fins, however they are less precise.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to agree with Chairborne.  I have used all kinds but instead of going all split or all solid I went with Force Fins.  Some people hate them and that is ok with me.  But I like having the advantages of both a stiff solid fin with a split as well.  

Keep in mind that many people use different kick patterns depending on the diving that they do.   What works in open water will change if you decide to go cave etc.  We dive in a lot of river current here.  Matching the fin to your kick style is important.  Ask to try your buddies fins and see if you find something that works for you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried several pairs of the paddle fins. Hurt my knees badly. Now I have splits and love them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I used Tusa Tri EX fins.  They didn't seem to bother knees or anything, they just dug holes into tops of my toes.  Even wearing neoprene thin booties and a pair of harder soled boots over top.  They were probably bigger than I needed, but they were adjusted tight enough where they weren't flopping around or anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW, I used Tusa Tri EX fins.  They didn't seem to bother knees or anything, they just dug holes into tops of my toes.  Even wearing neoprene thin booties and a pair of harder soled boots over top.  They were probably bigger than I needed, but they were adjusted tight enough where they weren't flopping around or anything.
View Quote
Definitely not the right size. Properly sized fins, with boots, should be pretty snug on the toe box.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've tried splits and with my kick style, find them very inefficient.

I use IDI Frogfoot fins in large bodies of water and Rocket/Jet fins in springs and small bodies of water.

I tend to swim on my back when finning on the surface.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I use IDI Frogfoot fins in large bodies of water and Rocket/Jet fins in springs and small bodies of water.

View Quote
Don't we all?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of Atomic Aquatic splits I have used for years. They worked fine but had some nits I have finally got tired of. I want to be able to back-kick and I hunt to tiny things on the reef. Large fins increase risk of damaging coral or make it harder for me to get into positions depending on reef layout. Getting out of these positions, without being able to back kick, is also frustrating. I have a set of Oceanic Accels on the way to try out as a replacement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't we all?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't we all?
Nope, only the smart ones.  I still see lots of divers swimming face down on the surface, sucking air through a snorkel or, worse yet, their reg.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Tried lots of different fins... Not a big fan of splits personally. I wore jets for a long time, but switched to force fins a few years ago and love them. Light, easy to travel with and no stress on knees/ankles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.  I don't have bad knees, and don't really know what my kicking style is at this point.  I need the most propulsion possible since I'm not a strong swimmer.  

How about the shorter but wider fins?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I tried several pairs of the paddle fins. Hurt my knees badly. Now I have splits and love them.
View Quote
This guy knows of what he speaks.
Both of my ACL's are destroyed.
The split fins made quite a bit of difference in reducing my knee pain after a dive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Split fins direct a jet of water downward, stirring up silt and spoiling dive site visibility.  They also provide very little ability to use vectored propulsion. Whereas a skilled paddle fin diver can swim foreward, backward, turn, and pivot on the spot, all with hands held motionless and without stirring up the bottom, a split finner will be flapping around and stirring up a mess.

Splits are ghey. No, seriously. They make you flamboyant underwater. If that isn't ghey I don't know what is.

Here is a guy finning properly.
https://youtu.be/jstn6fZ99dw

In this video you can see How a split finner can silt out a site even 5ft off the bottom.
https://youtu.be/UKbQtHMv95o
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The split fins made quite a bit of difference in reducing my knee pain after a dive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@dirtyone04  gal, not a guy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Split fins direct a jet of water downward, stirring up silt and spoiling dive site visibility.  They also provide very little ability to use vectored propulsion. Whereas a skilled paddle fin diver can swim foreward, backward, turn, and pivot on the spot, all with hands held motionless and without stirring up the bottom, a split finner will be flapping around and stirring up a mess.

Splits are ghey. No, seriously. They make you flamboyant underwater. If that isn't ghey I don't know what is.

In this video you can see How a split finner can silt out a site even 5ft off the bottom.
View Quote
I don't give a flying fuck if you think splits are ridiculous. Some of us simply cannot dive without knee/leg pain. Splits can either reduce or greatly reduce that pain. With splits, my knees don't hurt. Period.

One of my instructors was in a severe car accident as a teenager in the 70s. One knee went through the windshield. She spent some time in a coma. She walks with a very noticeable limp and her one knee is perpetually bent. She's been diving since 1986. She said she does 100-150 dives a year, and the splits make a huge difference. Not sure how many years she's been diving splits, but it's been number of years. She has a pair of paddle fins for when she does caverns/cenotes, etc., on vacation, but she only uses the paddles when forced due to the resulting knee pain.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
And for every split fin silting, I can show you a hundred regular fin silt outs.

As was mentioned in the first few posts and Marie's post,  splits have their place.

I use my standard fins for most diving. But, I love mine when I'm snorkeling for lobsters. The fins break the surface easier than a full fin. Also love them if I'm diving all day or a succession of days for lobsters. Less chance of leg cramps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I've used both. Currently have split fins and won't be going back. They might be slower in the water. But, I'm not racing anyone so I don't care.

I like them. Don't care if you don't like the fact that I like them. I'll keep using them regardless of your dislike of my like of them.

Did I mention that I don't care?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've used both. Currently have split fins and won't be going back. They might be slower in the water. But, I'm not racing anyone so I don't care.

I like them. Don't care if you don't like the fact that I like them. I'll keep using them regardless of your dislike of my like of them.

Did I mention that I don't care?
View Quote
I can still push my fat ass in a drysuit with all the weight I need in my splits. And I'm not slow, either. I do get some people razzing me for my purple splits. But I don't care.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can still push my fat ass in a drysuit with all the weight I need in my splits. And I'm not slow, either. I do get some people razzing me for my purple splits. But I don't care.
View Quote
Why come you use broken fins?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]
@Tailhunter  I use splits due to bad knees.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Harassing people for the type of fin they use is the equivalent of saying: "they are having fun wrong". Go with what is good for you and ignore jackasses who say you are "doing it wrong".
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Tailhunter  I use splits due to bad knees.
View Quote
I should have put the /sarcasm/ before and after.

I know why silly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Dove in the ocean once.  Another guy in the ocean had splits. I died.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dove in the ocean once.  Another guy in the ocean had splits. I died.
View Quote
Did you get better?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
So I found some Scubapro jets locally for $25.  Provided the size fits me ok, would they make a decent starter set of fins?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I found some Scubapro jets locally for $25.  Provided the size fits me ok, would they make a decent starter set of fins?
View Quote
Yes, they'll be fine. You can always switch to something else later if you want to. For $25, you won't be out much $$ if you change.

I've been through 4-5 pairs of fins before settling on the current splits.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you get better?
View Quote
yep. Until I forgot my snorkel. Died again
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
yep. Until I forgot my snorkel. Died again
View Quote
Snorkel will get you every time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Snorkel will get you every time.
View Quote
I dive with no ditchable weight. That's killed me 4 times this month alone.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I've switched from regular octo to long hose. Will this save me? Or do the splits cancel it out?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've switched from regular octo to long hose. Will this save me? Or do the splits cancel it out?
View Quote
depends, is your octo the same quality as your primary?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes. Reg set is AL Legend LX Supreme, yoke. Bought same thing just in din used from LDS shop manager. Moved everything to din first stage. Second stage from din set is now secondary on a necklace, so both second stages are the same. Old yellow octo was an Apeks XTX20.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm running a g500 and a 380.  I'm I ok?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm running a g500 and a 380.  I'm I ok?
View Quote
Dead
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jets are much more than starter fins. I have some and haven't felt the need to even look at other fins.
They are heavy though, and negatively buoyant, although since I always wear booties the flotation balances things out.
Now if you want to try some fins that will give you leg cramps I have some old Rocket Fins you can play with.
My Jets do everything well, but they can cause problems for divers with bad knees. They are capable of enough thrust to really torque sketchy knees.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#38]
i started with split jets which i used from a friend. then bought used jets on ebay for like 30 bucks. i liked the split jets i just didnt feel like i could move as well as i can with a solid fin. course then i got a drysuit with socks and with overboots none of those would fit and now have apeks rk3's which are alot lighter than the jets. i like them they fit perfect on my evo 4s. im pretty out of shape so long surface swims hurt my calfs but other than that i havent had any problems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My opinion only.  I've owned several sets of each.  Splits are more efficient for long distance finning, like on the surface to a dive site from shore.  Solids are more precise and maneuverable in tight confines.  For boat dives I use my jet fins.  For shore dive I use splits, especially if there is a long fin on the surface to or from.
View Quote
+1

Fort Lauderdale-area diver here, and this assessment is correct.

For swimming out from the beach - for being your own dive boat - split fins (good ones), have proven their abilities.  I've switched fins underwater with about three other divers, one of which was a nearly retired old Jewish optician who had been diving his whole life, and all three made the move to split fins.  Two of which bought the exact model I loaned them - the doctor being one of those two.

But for being dropped off of a boat to do wreck dives where one is penetrating the wreck, much like cave diving, really stiff solid fins are the ticket.

My third set of fins are really long free-diving fins for the area.  They, too, are considered 'good' ones, but I can't really lay down if they are better than split fins for free diving specifically.  The thing about free diving is that a diver has one breath of air, so perhaps the faster kicking of split fins puts one more into a cardio event that would use up that air faster.  With the long fins, it's a long, slow, powerful kick that is used to head down to hunt.  There is no doubt that split fins would be so much easier to kick out there with (free diving from the beach), but once one gets out there... they'd be stuck with split fins.  Again, I haven't tested them for it, but can't imagine they'd wouldn't work to some degree.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know how I can tell you don't swim a mile out from a beach - specifically Fort Lauderdale - to do your diving?  That's a wonderful little kick for when you're dropped on site, or navigating caves, but it would take you forever to get anywhere, lol.  

I've proven - not to you , but to myself and divers who dove with me - that I can frog kick gently with my split fins.  Are they are perfect for making a complete circle or back up while frog kicking?  No.  But we aren't lake diving here, silt boy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#41]
A mile out puts you on the 3rd reef [from mooring balls] 70'-90', no?
I know a handful of people that have done it.

Splitz = triggered

To the OP, I believe I mentioned it another thread of yours, I use full foot solids, Mares Avanti's.  Very powerful fin, yet comfortable for long swims.
I push doubles with these as well.  I can use them bare foot when sea's are like bath water, and dawn 3mm socks for winter diving here which is around 65 degrees.
I have tried pocket splits and I felt like I was peddling a bike in the wrong gear.

Any colder I would have to consider pocket fins, or a larger fin size with thicker socks.  But, I don't plan on moving, so there's that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Splitz = triggered

To the OP, I believe I mentioned it another thread of yours, I use full foot solids, Mares Avanti's.  Very powerful fin, yet comfortable for long swims.
I push doubles with these as well.  I can use them bare foot when sea's are like bath water, and dawn 3mm socks for winter diving here which is around 65 degrees.
I have tried pocket splits and I felt like I was peddling a bike in the wrong gear.

Any colder I would have to consider pocket fins, or a larger fin size with thicker socks.  But, I don't plan on moving, so there's that.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Splitz = triggered

View Quote
I've got Avanti quatros and prefer my splits for beach diving. I usually only swim out 2 pier lengths but when your on a 120 and out there for 2.5 hours the splits really help keep your legs from cramping up especially on the swim back in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Leg cramps,  try using sling shots  on the tightest settings 4 to 5 dives a day in Bonaire
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've got Avanti quatros and prefer my splits for beach diving. I usually only swim out 2 pier lengths but when your on a 120 and out there for 2.5 hours the splits really help keep your legs from cramping up especially on the swim back in.
View Quote
Are they pocket or full foot?
My post alluded to another post I made on his beach diving thread.

Everyone is going to use what works best for them.  For me the fin design works and I think a big part of that is that they are full foot.  I swim as far as the mooring balls with these using doubles or whatever else I have [hp117 etc.].  So at times, like you say, 2- 3 hrs or so swimming.  I am also pulling a fair sized buoy which has some drag to it.  It's a diy affair which I made so the flag would be easier to sea and stands 41" from waterline..

Downside to full foot is dealing with the 1100 Kelvin sand in the summer.  I sport cheapo water shoes for the trip from the surf to car.  In water I bungee them to the buoy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are they pocket or full foot?
My post alluded to another post I made on his beach diving thread.

Everyone is going to use what works best for them.  For me the fin design works and I think a big part of that is that they are full foot.  I swim as far as the mooring balls with these using doubles or whatever else I have [hp117 etc.].  So at times, like you say, 2- 3 hrs or so swimming.  I am also pulling a fair sized buoy which has some drag to it.  It's a diy affair which I made so the flag would be easier to sea and stands 41" from waterline..

Downside to full foot is dealing with the 1100 Kelvin sand in the summer.  I sport cheapo water shoes for the trip from the surf to car.  In water I bungee them to the buoy.
View Quote
Bootie pockets, a buddy of mine loves full foot fins. I don't have life guard feet anymore so my tender tootsies need the extra rubber and neoprene.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#47]
My logbook is pretty sparse, but I've always liked blade fins and never owned splits.

Untrained, I tried doing frog kicks in my blades and got enough knee pain (in my bad knee) to curbside an orthopedic surgeon. Two days of intensive coaching for a private 1:1 GUE Primer made me appreciate non-silting efficient kicks with no knee strain. I did most of the course with F1 fins and had some problems with proprioception and awareness of fin position. At the end, the instructor put me in his Jetfins, and their flat profile (vs the F1 curves) helped my feet find stability.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top