Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 11:34:15 AM EDT
Seriously looking at getting a couple Transpac XT and Advanced Open Water regulator sets (with primary/secondary regulators & SPG).

Anybody here have any experience with these two sets of gear?  Build quality, characteristics in the water, etc...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
solid stuff, better than some stuff, not as good as others.  Generally a good value.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Lamar makes good stuff and is also an excellent instructor. So, yeah, get you some Dive Rite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of my stuff is Dive Rite. Of course it's right down the road so it's all over the place around here. I've punished their XT regs, and Nomad BC (built on a transpacific harness) in the cave systems then threw everything in the back of my truck without a second thought. I have yet to have an issue.

I've had one SPG that had a manufactures defect so I took it to their shop in Lake City and they replaced it no questions asked. I've had a couple of pieces of gear modified and they obliged me free of charge.

The Dive Rite gang is very supportive of the local community and diving in general. You'll have no problems with their gear.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a huge Dive Rite fan boy. I don't think you can really go wrong with the transpac.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Great...thanks for all the feedback, guys.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]
DR products I've owned:

Dual bladder Nomad
(2) Classic Wings
Doubles valves/bands
Backplates (steel and AL)
RG regs
Deco reg setup (the green one)
Harness
Masks (3)
Canister lights (2)
Backup lights (2)
Thigh pouch

All have been quality gear, and I've beat the shit out of it all cave diving and in transport (I'm like a bull in a china shop). I've also had battery issues and they warrantied the battery and had a replacement to me within a week from the date I sent mine out - keep in mind I DO only live about 2.5hrs away though.

Only two ideas of theirs I dislike:

Ring bungees
Reels are trash IMO compared to Light Monkey
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend dives dive rite gear and has never had any problems. I think the regs are made same place as hog and a few other OEMs. Unless you are hoofing it through heavy trails 2 miles from the dive site the transpac is kinda overkill. A standard plate and one piece or deluxe harness will be fine. All that padding does nothing for comfort when your in the water.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My friend dives dive rite gear and has never had any problems. I think the regs are made same place as hog and a few other OEMs. Unless you are hoofing it through heavy trails 2 miles from the dive site the transpac is kinda overkill. A standard plate and one piece or deluxe harness will be fine. All that padding does nothing for comfort when your in the water.
View Quote
Ill never give up my padding. I dive in a skin most of the time and the padding is a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ill never give up my padding. I dive in a skin most of the time and the padding is a hell of a lot more comfortable.
View Quote
All depends where your diving I guess. Swimming with just trunks the straps wear alittle on my arms but dry I barely notice it's there
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
There are quite a few Dive Rite products in my Diver Bat-Cave. They definitely make some good stuff. TransPac, Nomad LS, and all kinds of pouches and add-on bits.

Make sure you're getting what you want.
The Transpac is a great setup. I bought one when I first started out and loved it. However, I eventually switched over to a simpler setup (BP/W) and I'm happier with that.

My wife switched from her I3 to my TransPac and she enjoys it, so it didn't go to waste.

If you haven't tried a backplate, wing, and harness, I would recommend giving it a shot before committing to the TransPac.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top