Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 4/22/2017 8:01:09 PM EDT
Completed all requirements today. Loved it; a challenging class. Had 2 of my 3 .mil dive buddies with me. A 79 year old student didn't do so well...
Even had a real world rescue; a crayfish stuck to the outlet wall! Safely rescued and returned to the deep.

Start Dive Master training next month!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I got certified two years ago.  Dived for my department and LOVED being in the water, but it wasn't worth the headache for the very little rewards for doing it.  I gave it up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up and learned to dive between the Woodville Karst and the cave and cavern systems along the Suwanee. Most people getting that training there do more recoveries than rescues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
A 79 yo diver doing rescue just boggles my mind!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations.  That's a tough course.  Good luck on Dive Master.  It's much harder than Rescue Diver.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations.  That's a tough course.  Good luck on Dive Master.  It's much harder than Rescue Diver.
View Quote
Assuming it's PADI.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Assuming it's PADI.
View Quote
Yes, I'm assuming that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! I hated that course. Hour after hour in 65° water with a 3mm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it is the PADI courses that I'm going through with the VA program.

Regarding the 79 year old going thru the course. Good that he can dive, but he's got no business doing rescue. He was all over the place, couldn't manage his own buoyancy, let alone a "victim's". Not to mention how easily he was winded.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Rescue was a fun class, they do work your ass off if the class is done right. I was the only student, and had a DM helping the Instructor. They bounced me from rescue to rescue non stop for hours.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool, congrats!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the cert. Rescue will be my last one. I start this fall.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got certified two years ago.  Dived for my department and LOVED being in the water, but it wasn't worth the headache for the very little rewards for doing it.  I gave it up.
View Quote
You're not the first PD diver I've heard that ended up hating diving because of work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This mirrors my experience.

I got my ass kicked. Were it not for my previous experience doing the helicopter sim rescues in full dive kit, I'm not sure I would have passed it. Seriously. They were full on fighting back on some of those exercises.
View Quote
They criticized me on 2 things,  approaching a victim from the front once (grabbed her by the wrist and spun her away)  and hitting the victim's legs on the pontoon getting her out from under the boat. She explained to me that in real life i would'nt do that.  I explained to her that in real life I'd amputate her legs to extricate her if needed,  and that i was a support member of a team trained to do just that.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top