Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 4/10/2017 10:41:47 PM EDT
One thing I noticed while we were out doing our open water certification is I didnt have a good procedure with my car keys. I ended up leaving them in the back of another persons truck who had a bed cover on their truck bed, but if they hadnt been there I've no idea what I would have done other than just leave my car unlocked with my phone and wallet inside. 

Whats the best method here?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Inside my dry suit. 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the vehicle. On top of a tire or inside the gas door are common places. Before I had the cap installed on my truck there was a little storage pocket that was perfect. I used to keep them on me when I went caving, then I realized if I got stuck and I was the only one who drove to the site, we'd all be in a world of hurt. No matter where you stash them, if you're the only one who drove and especially if there's no cell coverage, make sure the other people in your group know where they are.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hiding place on the car. When we go with others, we switch keys so if someone gets the keys on my truck, they don't have the keys to my truck. Don't know how that works with fobs
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess it depends on where you're diving. So far, I've only done quarry diving. I stash my keys in a side pocket of my gear bag, hidden under clothes.

I guess I could stash my spare key in the little zippered pocket of my drysuit undies, but I've never remembered to bring it while diving.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My old car, I had a spare key, without the electronics (it only worked on the doors), that I wore on a necklace, and locked the keys inside the car.

Our new car doesn't have a key, and if the key fob is near the car it will unlock when you grab the door handle, so I am still working that one out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Like others have said, depends on the year and type of key. Key pad cars are great, lock the keys inside and forget about them. I used to just bury mine under gear and clothes when I went diving, unnless you're in Mexico (it happened to me). Sometimes when you surface there, the "dive master" and his staff might be rummaging through your personal belongings
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of those door only keys that I have lashed to the inside of my wet notes notebook. The wet notes go inside of my thigh pocket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Google aquapac keymaster.  Or inside a pocket under my drysuit.  Or dig a hole in the ground and bury the keys. Don't forget where you dug the hole.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a spare key (no chip, just the metal key) I had made on a loop of 550 cord. I can either bolt snap it into my pouch or just shove it down in my wetsuit somewhere.

In the past I've taken my key itself off the ring and hid it in my wheel well, but I don't really like doing that...
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a spare key (no chip, just the metal key) I had made on a loop of 550 cord. I can either bolt snap it into my pouch or just shove it down in my wetsuit somewhere.

In the past I've taken my key itself off the ring and hid it in my wheel well, but I don't really like doing that...
View Quote
Keeping it somewhere inside your wetsuit on a necklace is better. A friend had a bolt snap key and when went to install a jump he unknowingly unclipped his car key from the dummy loop.  I watched it flutter down to the silt and snatched it up before he noticed.  After the dive when he searched for it to open his truck and started to realize he "lost" it somewhere in the dive was pretty amusing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
In the ignition, where they always are...
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Non-chipped/fob key:
Tied to inside pocket of BC with para-cord.
If no pocket, para-cord necklace under wetsuit.

Big arse keys with fob etc.
Old Princeton Tec Dive light with guts removed.  These are the ones with magnetic switches, so there are no holes to worry about, only the Oring on the lens.  Can be had very cheapish.  I paid $5 for mine and they actually still work, just dull. Light is tied, with guess what, para-cord to bc pocket on the inside.  They will be slightly buoyant used in this manner.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]
For my truck, I keep a door-only key on a stainless steel key ring attached to a zipper on my wetsuit and put the keys in the console.

I also have a "can" with an o-ring sealed lid and a molded lanyard loop that I can put a fob or chip key in if necessary. I added a lead slug to it to make it negative and tie it in my BC pocket with paracord.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Just keep them in the center console and lock the car.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://img.youtube.com/vi/h5buP5BXstc/0.jpg
View Quote
That's what I do on my truck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
KISS. Love the idea of the spare key under my wetsuit. Dont know why I didnt think of that.....Guess it shows how often I use my spare key! 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is this even a feature on option on any new cars anymore? First car I ever drove was an older Explorer that had this, I loved it. Never had to worry about locking my keys inside and I didn't need my keys to get stuff out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've bought my last two cars used, but once you finally do get the code those things are fantastic.  We go ATVing and fishing a lot and have a spare set of keys in the car.  Never have to worry about getting home again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My friends surf and kiteboard, and they all throw the keys in the strut where the spring meets the spring cup so the tire blocks seeing the keys
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually keep my keys in a safe part of my dive bag, with cell phone and sunglasses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
When beach diving, a spare tied to my BC inside a pocket and another spare tied in my pocket of my shorts under my wetsuit.

On the boat, just in the backpack in a drybox.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I use a lockbox like the ones for vacant houses and whatnot and lock it to my trailer tie ins.   Works great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a carabiner clip on my set of truck keys. When I go diving I just hook my keys to something up inside the wheel well or hook them to something under the car with the carabiner so they are not visible from the average passerby-er. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of my watersports involved keys that could get wet, so had them on a d ring.  New car-no answer yet, have been unable to get a surf key.   New F250 truck has keypad, so lock them inside.  

That said, my experiance was paddling.  Every paddler I knew had their vehicles broken into eventually.  So not 100% comfortable locking them in the truck.    I miss having dumb keys sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use a lockbox like the ones for vacant houses and whatnot and lock it to my trailer tie ins.   Works great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222431/image-213581.JPG
View Quote
Brilliant.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Most of my watersports involved keys that could get wet, so had them on a d ring.  New car-no answer yet, have been unable to get a surf key.   New F250 truck has keypad, so lock them inside.  

That said, my experiance was paddling.  Every paddler I knew had their vehicles broken into eventually.  So not 100% comfortable locking them in the truck.    I miss having dumb keys sometimes.
View Quote
When I go kayaking my key goes in a dry box that is theoretically permanently attached inside my boat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Typically they're in the ignition......

Oh.....DIVING....
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Typically they're in the ignition......

Oh.....DIVING....
View Quote
This is a scuba forum ya know....LOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
on top of tire like everyone else
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#30]
They either get lock in the truck box on the bed of the truck and that key is on me or goes in fanny pack with EDC that stays inside Zodiac.

CD
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Inside a dry box instead the gear box in the boat with my wallet and phone.

We only dive local out of our own boat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Brilliant.  
View Quote
I have seen a combination lock box that fits a receiver hitch.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top