Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 3/16/2017 10:10:08 AM EDT
Been struggling with my trim underwater...feel like my feet are too high.  Currently using Mares Volos...which I really, really like.  Thinking that they are a bit too floaty, I bought a pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins, which arrived last night.

Holy hell these things are heavy.

Given my overall setup...30# wing, SS backplate, SS STA, steel 100 cylinder...I'm wondering if I'm starting to approach being overweighted.  When tropical, I typically dive in shorts and a rash guard, with no additional weight.  Even up here in the f/w quarries in a 7mm wetsuit, it doesn't take me much additional weight.

Hitting the pool this weekend with my son, so I'll be paying attention very carefully to my current setup.  May need to switch over to an aluminum BP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are awful outdated fins. Just get two pound ankle weights. We all wore ankle weights except in the warm water of course
An aluminum back plate works as well. Just test everything with your tank around 750 pounds or so. Otherwise you don't want to be too light
guy below me is correct as you can use 1.5 or 2# ankle weights
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the twin jets and use them with normal diving.  I use my Hollis F1's when using my drysuit.  

Before sending them back, check the weight difference between your current fins and add three pounds (2 weights at 1.5# each) compared to the jet fins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advice, gents.  I'm going to send them back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a gopro you can put at the bottom of pool. A lot of people think that their feet are high when they actually in perfect trim
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a stainless plate, 2-4 pounds of lead, and jets. Here's a pic with my old IDI frog foots. I like Jets/springs way better.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the twin jets and use them with normal diving.  I use my Hollis F1's when using my drysuit.  

Before sending them back, check the weight difference between your current fins and add three pounds (2 weights at 1.5# each) compared to the jet fins.
View Quote
I use Hollis F1s. IMO its a "working mans fin". When I put those heavy built bastards on I feel like I'm gearing up to go work, not play around in the water. 

I like them, but they are a "not fucking around" kind of fin!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I still use IDI Frogfoot fins is saltwater and USD Rocket fins (very similar to Jet fins) in the springs around here.

When my Frogfoot fins finally die (I have 2 sets ), I'll switch to F1's.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top