Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 3/7/2017 1:57:45 PM EDT
I certified in PADI about 20 years ago, but after roughly the first month didnt do any further diving. Life sort of got in the way. Lately I've been thinking of getting back into it so asked my son (16) if he was interested. He said sure so I scheduled a pool session. It was a good time and he definitely wanted to keep going with a cert.

Went out last weekend and paid for lessons for both of us and picked up our gear. Being hes ojnly 16 and may not stick with it he got cheap stuff. I tried to stay more middle of the road. Also....Its good to be the King. I can spend money on myself. 

Sons gear set:

Dads gear set:

Lessons start end of the month. My gear package also comes with 2 free equipment rentals which means once certified I can go out on 2 group dives "for free" so thats a nice bonus as well. 

Looking forward to it and cant wait to get back in the saddle...errr....vest! 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool! My father-in-law is my dive buddy. We always have a great time together.

May you and your son get many years of enjoyment from diving together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yay!

Mask box looks to be Oceanic?

That pool was awfully dark and GREEN!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yay!

Mask box looks to be Oceanic?

That pool was awfully dark and GREEN!
View Quote
Thats right, my mask is an Oceanic Shadow, my son being relegated to a Scubapro Devil mask.

I was pretty happy with the fit of his mas but they only had 1 in black. My son picked that one so I had to look at something else. Tried the Oceanic and that thing fits like a glove, it was perfect. So ended up going that route. 

The pool? Thats just the filter....And not the filter on the camera! 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
A mask that fits perfectly? I can only hope!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome. Hope you and your son stick with it. I hear it's a great father-son activity. I would highly recommend getting DAN insurance if you plan on making it a regular thing. It's also good for the magazine they send out which usually has some pretty sobering safety stories.
Be safe and stay wet.

Quoted:
A mask that fits perfectly? I can only hope!
View Quote

A perfect fitting mask has definitely been my unicorn.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Awesome. Hope you and your son stick with it. I hear it's a great father-son activity. I would highly recommend getting DAN insurance if you plan on making it a regular thing. It's also good for the magazine they send out which usually has some pretty sobering safety stories.
Be safe and stay wet.

A perfect fitting mask has definitely been my unicorn.
View Quote
Its funny you mention safety, just last night I discussed getting one of the emergency locators. I told my wife I'm not too worried about myself, I wanted to get one for my son. If he ended up in a bad way he could just surface and pop that. Given we're in the Puget Sound area things like current and exposure are a real issue, and as it goes with Dads I'm older and more wise and wont fall victim to anything bad, but my son on the other hand.... 
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its funny you mention safety, just last night I discussed getting one of the emergency locators. I told my wife I'm not too worried about myself, I wanted to get one for my son. If he ended up in a bad way he could just surface and pop that. Given we're in the Puget Sound area things like current and exposure are a real issue, and as it goes with Dads I'm older and more wise and wont fall victim to anything bad, but my son on the other hand.... 
View Quote

Current and exposure are good excuses to buy a DPV.
The Dive-Xtras Pirahna is small but powerful AND you can put a part in that allows you to plug in a heater to run off the battery for your exposure suit.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top