Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2016 10:04:12 AM EDT
Well I have been diving for right at four years and just over one hundred dives. I have been flirting with the tech/rec side of things for the last several months. It was time to either commit to doubles or go all in on CCR. I ended up getting a Dive Rite O2ptima and had my first class last night.

First pool session is this weekend. I am defiantly keeping an open mind and have prepared myself to be humbled. Any advice from other divers when they went from OC to CCR?

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That dark side is too expensive for me. I can justify the cost and training of one, but by the time I add in the attorney's cost from the divorce it puts it over the top.

I did seriously look at going the way of a Kiss GEM. However, I ultimately decided not to.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Always know your ppO2.
Don't get cheap on replacing sensors or absorbent.
Dry everything out as soon as you can.
Ask your instructor or a mentor before you change anything.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That dark side is too expensive for me. I can justify the cost and training of one, but by the time I add in the attorney's cost from the divorce it puts it over the top.

I did seriously look at going the way of a Kiss GEM. However, I ultimately decided not to.

View Quote

When I first saw how much a CCR was, my jaw dropped.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now take that price and double it. That's a rough approximation of what you'll spend for training, personalizing the unit, travel, experience dives, and gas to get up to snuff if you really want to maximize what a CCR can do.

When I factored all that into the equations it simply wasn't feasible for me to get into. So I decided to spend my money on the next best thing and bought this. It just arrived today and it had been something I've wanted to get into for a while and frankly Go Pro's just weren't cutting it for me anymore.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Nice rig.
I have been fascinated by rebreathers for decades, but simply can't justify the cost for the rec diving I do.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Well living in south Florida, the access to wreck diving is amazing! Once I started pricing out helium cost it was going to be expensive either way. Going this route there is a bigger up front cost but lower cost per dive cost later when you factor significant amounts of helium into the equation. The end goal is to increase bottom time. The most efficient way to accomplish that is to go CCR IMO. I'm really looking forward to the training. I'm looking forward to spending some really good time with the unit. I have been diving a transpac for the last couple years and I was able to literally bolt it up. It gives me a bit of familiarization and I am 99% already adjusted to where I need to be. I just had to remove a set of drings to make room for the counter lungs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well living in south Florida, the access to wreck diving is amazing! Once I started pricing out helium cost it was going to be expensive either way. Going this route there is a bigger up front cost but lower cost per dive cost later when you factor significant amounts of helium into the equation. The end goal is to increase bottom time. The most efficient way to accomplish that is to go CCR IMO. I'm really looking forward to the training. I'm looking forward to spending some really good time with the unit. I have been diving a transpac for the last couple years and I was able to literally bolt it up. It gives me a bit of familiarization and I am 99% already adjusted to where I need to be. I just had to remove a set of drings to make room for the counter lungs.
View Quote

10 years ago I would have disagreed with you. However, in the past decade the reliability and durability of CCR rebreathers has improved dramatically. At the same time Helium cost has gone up substantially as well. At this point I'm not sure that doing open circuit on anything above AN/DP makes much sense anymore, and it makes no sense if you're going to run hypoxic mixes. And if you're going to run a lot of Trimix you're long term savings will catch up to you within a few years. For a lot of diving on the technical/cave side of things it's becoming more and more apparent that CCR's are making a lot more sense.

Enjoy it, I'm jelly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check a doubles Tri-mix fill
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just checked my dive shop's website. Sheesh. Nitrox alone is $4-6 extra for a single, depending on tank size. Somebody recently was asking me when I was going to get into doubles. I just laughed, as a single is enough for me right now. I can't imagine trying to walk with a double on my back. You'd have to wheel me into the water with all my gear on! And climbing into a boat with doubles?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I pay $8 per fill on nitrox for 120s. I started doing the math out on trimix fills and they all come out to over $100 per fill. Thats just getting a bit ridiculous. When you are doing a good bit of deep trimix dives the savings from CCR become pretty apparent.

This article is certainly a good read on the cost differences. http://www.addhelium.com/single-post/2013/05/15/Which-is-Cheaper-OC-versus-CCR

Its not just the potential or even perceived cost savings. The amount of time you can stay down doesn't compare to OC and the deco time is reduced by a significant margin.

This is a photo from our class pool session earlier today. No bubbles! It is a very weird feeling though. The first couple minutes I was sure I had made a very expensive mistake. After about an hour I started to get the hang of it. I have to get used to not exhaling out of my nose. I never realized that I did it before today's pool session. I think it is happening when the loop volume gets a bit too much but its hard to tell at times. More time underwater will give me more of the story I am sure.

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats man. That is a sweet rig.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a photo from our class pool session earlier today. No bubbles! It is a very weird feeling though. The first couple minutes I was sure I had made a very expensive mistake. After about an hour I started to get the hang of it. I have to get used to not exhaling out of my nose. I never realized that I did it before today's pool session. I think it is happening when the loop volume gets a bit too much but its hard to tell at times. More time underwater will give me more of the story I am sure.

http://i.imgur.com/ci0mBay.jpg?1
View Quote

Lack of bubbles must be strange and the lack of noise, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lack of bubbles must be strange and the lack of noise, too.
View Quote

That was very weird. I could hear the other two's solenoids firing from across the pool. When they checked their gauges I could hear the clips clinking. It was eerily quiet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
You are going to love it!!!!  I've been diving the Prism 2 for the past couple of years and it's a whole nother world of diving that really must be Experienced!  Remember to do your checks and clean your loop!  Complacency is what kills on these things!
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just checked my dive shop's website. Sheesh. Nitrox alone is $4-6 extra for a single, depending on tank size. Somebody recently was asking me when I was going to get into doubles. I just laughed, as a single is enough for me right now. I can't imagine trying to walk with a double on my back. You'd have to wheel me into the water with all my gear on! And climbing into a boat with doubles?
View Quote

Trimix is where most people switch to CCR if they haven't already done it... unless they just like wasting money. I would like to take advanced nitrox/deco procedures, full cave, and finally trimix classes (in that order), but trimix would be limited for me to places like Eagle's Nest, when I'm ready to go there. I doubt I'll make enough money to make a regular habit of using it... even my nurse/healthcare diver buddies can't afford to do regular trimix dives in doubles LOL
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been doing a ton of dives on the CCR over the last couple months. I have a dive buddy I go out with that takes some really great photos. I thought I would share a couple from this past Saturday on the Lady Luck (M/V Newtown Creek) out of Pompano.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Very nice!!  What dive op do you use out of pompano?  We've been using South Florida Diving Headquarters and had pretty good luck with them.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Lookin' good. I just traded my Meg off for an SF-2. Dunno when I'm going to get to dive it since I'm OCONUS and can't schedule a crossover until I get back, but I'm excited to add another one to the stable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very nice!!  What dive op do you use out of pompano?  We've been using South Florida Diving Headquarters and had pretty good luck with them.  
View Quote
I dive with Pompano Dive Center, SFDH, and Miss Conduct Charters mostly. I go out with Enzo on Scuba Tyme every now and then.

They all have their moments where I think they could do better but all in all they do a great job.

I really like PDCs tech trips. They have a couple dive masters that really get it and make everything so much easier when it comes to suiting up and getting in and out of the water.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I dive with Pompano Dive Center, SFDH, and Miss Conduct Charters mostly. I go out with Enzo on Scuba Tyme every now and then.

They all have their moments where I think they could do better but all in all they do a great job.

I really like PDCs tech trips. They have a couple dive masters that really get it and make everything so much easier when it comes to suiting up and getting in and out of the water.
View Quote
Good to know.  Thanks for the info. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
The trim on those bailout bottles though...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's how they roll man.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's how they roll man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's how they roll man.
That harness is half made from zip ties! It broke as I was literally about to jump in. We had to daisy chain two big zip ties together to make it work. Normally my bottom clip line is a bit shorter. When slung like that they always sit like that on me. The 40s are the same way.

I have looked into the side mounting. It is defiantly more streamlined.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I was just busting your chops anyways, but if you don't have bungee loops for the valves, that saved my soul.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was just busting your chops anyways, but if you don't have bungee loops for the valves, that saved my soul.
View Quote
Bungee loops are great if you still believe in things like phrenology, blood letting, and the pony express for your mail delivery. Ring bungees are where it's at.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Eww, ring bungees...
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Buttplate and loop bungees. Ring bungees are for jerks and men with erectile dysfunction!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buttplate and loop bungees. Ring bungees are for jerks and men with erectile dysfunction!!!
View Quote
In all seriousness though, what are the pros/cons of each?

I was able to log another 4.5 hours in Pompano over the weekend. I should have some pictures later this week.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was able to log another 4.5 hours in Pompano over the weekend. I should have some pictures later this week.
View Quote

I side mount everything. I don't even own anything in back mount anymore and I use ring bungees. Some people swear at them, some people swear by them. I'm definitely in the latter camp. When using ring bungees you basically have to attach a bolt snap to your cylinder neck so that you can clip the ring in. In the above I use neck chokers to accomplish this.

The advantage of the ring bungee is that it provides a metal to metal contact allowing a more secure way to hang your tanks. Some guys will tie a small loop of 550 cord around a bolt snap and loop the 550 cord around their tank valve to do the same thing. Personally I've never seen the 550 cord break doing this method, but I have seen a knot come undone and it wasn't pretty to look at.

The downside is that the bolt snap on the tank could become jammed with dirt and mud making it harder or impossible to doff your gear. If you're doing genuine side mount passages then this can become a real issue as you might not be able to get your tank off. In addition I do have to do a little bit of periodic maintenance in the form of 3 in 1 oil to the bolt snap to keep it functioning properly especially if I'm diving salt.

When it comes to general diving whether it's recreational or technical I do find that it's faster to get my tanks on. This is especially true on dive charters where a lot of ops are suspicious of side mounters. All I have to do it set my tanks down, open the bolt snap and slip the ring inside it, then clip off the bottom and I'm good to go. And with smaller tanks such as LP 50's it's super easy to do. Secondly, clipping in at the tank neck and base of the tank they're a lot more secure and aren't swaying around banging into stuff or people.

I've also found that with ring bungees tank behavior is more consistent across the board no matter the size or type of cylinder. Since I'm getting the valve in pretty much the same location each time the only thing I have to focus on is the bottom of the tank and how I'm going to position the lower clip. When I was using old school bungee loops I found that with Catalina AL80's I had to loop the bungees around the valve one way, but another way with Luxfers. Then if I used steel LP 85's or 104's it was completely different. It use to drive me nuts, now I just clip it and forget it.

Of course the downside is that I basically have to set up each tank with a set of neck chokers and bolt snap. This adds a little bit to the cost and maintenance but not too much.

Basically in my experience it really boils down to this. If you're going to side mount all the things all the time then ring bungees are probably the better way to go. They're more efficient, add consistency, work better under a variety of diving situations (e.g. recreational, shore, cave, etc...) then old school loop bungees.

On the other hand if you view side mount as a tool to be used in specific situations (e.g. side mount passages, major restrictions, tight passageways in the wreck) then old school bungees are probably the better way to go due to their simplicity and lack of a bolt snap that could get jammed in a muddy passageway.  

Others might have different experiences or insights in the matter but those are mine. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
WOW! Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. A gentleman I dived with this weekend showed me the trick about bolt snap and retaining it against the tank valve. He used zip ties but accomplished the same thing. He was diving the Hollis unit and had his with the ring bungee.

I was very jealous with how streamlined his setup was. Mine doesn't really get in the way with the type of diving I do, but with the current ripping at times it can make deco on the line less fun. You are creating a much broader area for the current to affect.

Thanks again for the hugely informative post.

So I just ordered the nomad butt plate and bungee ring set. I'll play around with that some later this week. I have the over the shoulder counterlungs so I am having to use offset drings now that are a bit cumbersome. I am curious to see if the ring bungee helps in the gearing up phase.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WOW! Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. A gentleman I dived with this weekend showed me the trick about bolt snap and retaining it against the tank valve. He used zip ties but accomplished the same thing. He was diving the Hollis unit and had his with the ring bungee.

I was very jealous with how streamlined his setup was. Mine doesn't really get in the way with the type of diving I do, but with the current ripping at times it can make deco on the line less fun. You are creating a much broader area for the current to affect.

Thanks again for the hugely informative post.

So I just ordered the nomad butt plate and bungee ring set. I'll play around with that some later this week. I have the over the shoulder counterlungs so I am having to use offset drings now that are a bit cumbersome. I am curious to see if the ring bungee helps in the gearing up phase.
View Quote

Even with Ring Bungees you're still going to have to do a little experimentation (tying knots and adjusting) with getting their correct position. The above pic shows my warm water/travel/light duty side mount rig. The ring is positioned right at my nipple line and towards my back a little bit. Usually it's a little more taught and better positioned than that but I'm in a T-shirt as opposed to a 3-5 mil wet suit which adds a little bulk.

I run the bungees a little tighter because I'm primarily using LP-50's with this rig if I'm diving at home which have about a 5 1/2 inch diameter. When I travel I use what everybody else in the world uses, the ubiquitous Al-80 and the bungee allows for stretch with the larger diameter tank.

This shows my cave diving/technical rig which is a Nomad XT. Don't pay too much attention to the position of the bungees. I'm usually wearing a dry suit which adds a little bulk which in turn adds some tension to the ring bungees and they don't droop as much. However, like my warm water rig the ring bungees are pretty much positioned at my nipple line and slightly towards my back.

Unlike my warm water travel rig I run the bungees a little looser because my primary tanks are cave filled LP-85's and the occasional LP-104/8. I've pretty much got them dialed in with LP-85's and they'll stretch a bit with 8 inch diameter tanks.

On you lower clips Butterfly Clips work best as they allow you to clip your tanks right into the rail. This guy gives a pretty good overview of the basics of trimming out your cylinders.

I'm assuming that you're running an AL-80 as your bailout cylinder. Keep in mind that should you have to bailout that AL-80 is going to start to float up on you around 2000ish PSI depending on the tank. Personally, I use a simple D-ring on the waistband around my hip area. When the tank gets floaty I just unclip it from the rear rails and clip it onto the front D-ring. In you're case I'd probably run a low profile D-ring as this is bailout gas and not something you're going to have to do a lot of.

When you get your buttplate Loc-Tite the rails and what ever else has a screw in it. Mine came a little loose over time, but with a little Loc-Tite the issues was resolved.

Hope it helps
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the pictures. That actually helped a lot. I spent a couple hours last night messing around with the bungee length and I can see how it affects everything. I am really anxious to get in the water and see how it all works.

I am a little concerned about the butt plate being a bit long. I do tend to sit on it when in a seated position. Time will tell if I can use the nomad butt plate or if I will need to change over to the smaller tech butt plate.

I am either going back to Pompano on Sat or down to Largo to get some more time in this weekend. We shall see what happens!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Lose the butt plate, get the butt ring system light monkey sells.

http://www.lightmonkey.us/bailout-attachment-system
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lose the butt plate, get the butt ring system light monkey sells.

http://www.lightmonkey.us/bailout-attachment-system
View Quote
This defiantly looks interesting. How does it fair when only carrying one bailout? Without anything rigid there is would seem to pull to the one side, or am I over thinking it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This defiantly looks interesting. How does it fair when only carrying one bailout? Without anything rigid there is would seem to pull to the one side, or am I over thinking it?
View Quote
I haven't used it with one bailout so I can't speak to that. My ccr uses twin sidemounted bailouts scaled from LP50 to LP130 depending on the dive.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I haven't used it with one bailout so I can't speak to that. My ccr uses twin sidemounted bailouts scaled from LP50 to LP130 depending on the dive.
View Quote
Anything deeper than 130' and I have been carrying two bailouts. The majority of my dives right now are in the 110'-130' range as I am accumulating the hours to take the mixed gas course. I guess things like this are how guys end up with mountains of gear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Anything deeper than 130' and I have been carrying two bailouts. The majority of my dives right now are in the 110'-130' range as I am accumulating the hours to take the mixed gas course. I guess things like this are how guys end up with mountains of gear.
View Quote
I've added a whole extra gear bag just for SSI XRN.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've added a whole extra gear bag just for SSI XRN.
View Quote
Pfft! I bought a 12 foot cargo trailer just for dive gear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
i already had that.  

I'd have even more gear, but the only diving here is lakes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i already had that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i already had that.  

Damn guys! I would love to just have a trailer but the parking where we dive is usually a bitch so I haven't gone that route.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i already had that.  

View Quote
I got a good deal on a nicely used one towards the end of last year. This spring and summer I'm intending to build my Mobile Dive Command Center, or MDCC for short. See I've got acronyms and everything already.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I got a good deal on a nicely used one towards the end of last year. This spring and summer I'm intending to build my Mobile Dive Command Center, or MDCC for short. See I've got acronyms and everything already.
View Quote
I call my dive room and gear the acronym "MADNESS"
Most Active Divers Need Excess Scuba Stuff.

You can use it for your trailer and whatnot if you wish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#43]
A trailer - wow! I stuff all my gear into my Focus sedan. I need a SUV.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#44]
My Tahoe gets a little stuffed with gear for 2.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My Tahoe gets a little stuffed with gear for 2.
View Quote
Its funny because my wife's Ford Escape is the exact width of two pelican cases for mine and my father-in-law's rebreathers. The distance from the case to the back of the front seats is the exact length of an aluminum 40. Its as if Ford designed it for tech diving.

Both coast are a blowout this weekend. I am going to be heading to Paradise Springs to give this whole sidemounted bailout thing a whirl.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
jerrwhy01 hit the ring bungees pretty good.

The pros of the independent loop bungees are these:
Tanks ride higher and closer to your body, better streamlined.
They don't require any extra hardware that gets in the way of reg positioning.
They "torque" the tank in to your body. Hard to explain....
They are more versatile when it comes to how you want to rig your tanks, and fit a larger variety of body sizes. They work well with everything from DIR style stage rigging to the DR sidemount straps, skinny women on up.

Because they sit higher and closer in, it can be more difficult to read your SPG at a glance unless you're running that goofy curb feeler thing. I've found it's not really an issue though. Reach your arm back and around the valve and pull away from your chest like you would when checking tank marking when doing a gas switch and it's not an issue. What I do recommend though is to run a top clip and mount the cylinder like you would a normal stage at the top, then pull the bungee around the valve. It's more secure and sort of "locks" the tank into your side as it's tensioned both in the front and in the back.

You can also rig them in any number of austere environments and have them function. Ring bungees generally only work well with chokers, which limits the flexibility of the tank when required (see above "gas switch" maneuver). I don't buy the whole "it's faster" thing. Maybe the first couple times you dive it, but that's really it. They're both speedy systems.

I'd also recommend supplementing your waist d-rings with a set of the rubber sliding d-rings. If you're running a tank that gets a floaty ass end, move from your butt to your waist and shift forward on the belt as necessary. Consider carrying a leash in your pocket as well. Deco'ing in the ocean with multiple tanks gets old. It's nice to be able to throw your deep bailout behind your butt once you're only going to be bailing out to deco gas.

Bottom line is that they both work and it's as much a preference as anything. That being said, jerrwhy01 is definitely a fan of Pfizer
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome feedback on the loop bungees. I am going to give the ring bungee a go tomorrow. I'm not really happy with how my optima sits with the nomad butt plate either right now. The rebreather stand sits in the middle of the two d-rings.

If I raised my optima on my transpac it might clear it, but then it would be riding higher on my back. I have it screwed to the transpac right now, but there is a way to attach it using the waist strap. That would lower it more than enough to clear the stand adequately. The only issue there is that I think it would be in the way on boats since it would extend so far below stand.

I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit about the setup tomorrow when i run it for the first time. You have to start somewhere ya know.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#48]
So I can see the allure to sidemounting. We ended up at Blue Grotto as Paradise Springs was closed for much needed dock repair.

We found this out after being stuck in traffic for 5 hours to get there and damn near getting stuck in sand trying to turn around.

I normally bang my tanks a couple times when diving there but it didn't happen a single time with my bailout sidemounted. I do think I have the bungee a bit too tight. It was difficult to reach back and grab it. I'll experiment next dive with lengthening the bungee a bit. I am sold on the concept though. I was significantly more streamlined.

I think the next time I dive will be the 22 and 23. A group of us are heading out to the wreck of the Baja California to go bring back some artifacts. Should be able to do 3 dives Saturday if we start early enough. We are only going to be able to do one Sunday morning before we pull the hook and take the 7 hour ride back.

I think 13 of us are going and all but 3 guys will be on CCR. It will be a fun trip for sure. I'm really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I can see the allure to sidemounting. We ended up at Blue Grotto as Paradise Springs was closed for much needed dock repair.

We found this out after being stuck in traffic for 5 hours to get there and damn near getting stuck in sand trying to turn around.

I normally bang my tanks a couple times when diving there but it didn't happen a single time with my bailout sidemounted. I do think I have the bungee a bit too tight. It was difficult to reach back and grab it. I'll experiment next dive with lengthening the bungee a bit. I am sold on the concept though. I was significantly more streamlined.

I think the next time I dive will be the 22 and 23. A group of us are heading out to the wreck of the Baja California to go bring back some artifacts. Should be able to do 3 dives Saturday if we start early enough. We are only going to be able to do one Sunday morning before we pull the hook and take the 7 hour ride back.

I think 13 of us are going and all but 3 guys will be on CCR. It will be a fun trip for sure. I'm really looking forward to it.
View Quote
Let me know if you're ever up towards Blue Grotto again. I'm not terribly far from there and usually end up there every month to 6 weeks or so with the wife.

As it was I ended up diving Orange stink yesterday and helping a friend of mine with his side mount gear. There's freaking duck weed all over my stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Its funny because my wife's Ford Escape is the exact width of two pelican cases for mine and my father-in-law's rebreathers. The distance from the case to the back of the front seats is the exact length of an aluminum 40. Its as if Ford designed it for tech diving.

Both coast are a blowout this weekend. I am going to be heading to Paradise Springs to give this whole sidemounted bailout thing a whirl.
View Quote
I wish I'd have seen this before now, or even thought of Paradise as a viable alternative to driving all the way to Peacock or Madison... shit! Could've actually gotten some diving in!

EDIT: Damnit, I guess I should've just checked this whole thread or PM'd either one of you or jerrwhy01. lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top