User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

They are probably only set up to deal with 80s and don't want you using two when everyone else only gets one.
View Quote

Personally, I don't see what the difference is if you're doing the common "two-tank boat trips" and doing the same length dives as everyone else... You're still using the same amount of their rental gear and deck space, the only change is that you would likely have to don your tanks in the water (meaning you're first or last in and out).

Trying to find a charter that would allow sidemount with DPV would surely be next to impossible, though, and I kind of get it based on the extra deck space you'd use. H20 Below in Pensacola is the only place I've ever seen openly state on their website that they welcome tech divers with DPVs (even if you may have to pay a bit more) and the only requirement is to file a dive plan with the captain if you're doing one long deco dive vs. everyone else's two shorter dives. I don't even know if you'd be welcome to use a DPV if you already had a buddy with one on a regular rec charter.

All of these issues add up to the reason why I never bothered with ocean diving to begin with and took up the path to cave diving almost immediately... I can go to Buford or used to go to Ginnie, Peacock, etc. and do whatever dive plan I want, and (at some sites) use whatever equipment configuration I want, and there's almost no one there to tell you "no." Being treated like a child just because I'm a tourist has never been my form of enjoyment anyways lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
CCR training starts 9/18. Kiss told the shop they would deliver by 9/17. Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So the 18th will be hands on with my unit and pool session. 9/25 first OW dives. We then have the first two weekends in October. May not need all that time, but we have it available if needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!

We did our first dive of the weekend yesterday. Parked at Sea Watch On the Ocean in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, scootered out about 800 meters at 80 degrees and hit the SS Copenhagen wreck. Had a 112 minute run and got some cool GoPro footage, but surf entry (and especially exit) is definitely not my forte with two steel 80's and a scooter with a GoPro and 8k lumen video light...

Today's dive was 80+ minutes (not sure of exact bottom time yet) at Blue Heron Bridge after waiting probably 45 minutes in traffic to get there and get a spot. Then JUST as we got out, some pendejo stole my garden cart and I had to go chase him down....
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Sweet!

We did our first dive of the weekend yesterday. Parked at Sea Watch On the Ocean in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, scootered out about 800 meters at 80 degrees and hit the SS Copenhagen wreck. Had a 112 minute run and got some cool GoPro footage, but surf entry (and especially exit) is definitely not my forte with two steel 80's and a scooter with a GoPro and 8k lumen video light...

Today's dive was 80+ minutes (not sure of exact bottom time yet) at Blue Heron Bridge after waiting probably 45 minutes in traffic to get there and get a spot. Then JUST as we got out, some pendejo stole my garden cart and I had to go chase him down....
View Quote

What did the fucker say when you took your cart back?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Decided to not dive at the quarry tomorrow. Friends said viz is bad. With what I’d spend getting down there in 3/4 tank of gas, tolls, $25 entrance fee, just not worth it.

Next dive will be pool session for CCR class.

Going through my gear and making sure all my stuff is good for class. Pulled out my blinky HUD, handle for unit frame (to make handling easier on land). Emptied the 40 that had 50% in it, transfilled it with 500 psi of air, and rerigged it. Had been set up as a SM deco bottle. Had to change it to a slung bottle. For Kiss training, you use a single 40 for dil/BO. Put a 40” hose on my BO reg and dug out a SPG for it.

Instructor told me to bring my entire hose stash as we’ll have to experiment for drysuit inflator hose length. I may have to take the shorter inflator hose off my SM regs. So I have to pull out hoses from my spares box. Have to charge my Divesoft Solo analyzer.

Have to print out all my paperwork.

Need to get everything set at home on weeknights so
I can head up for class and have everything taken care off
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:

What did the fucker say when you took your cart back?
View Quote

Nothing in English, of course. "Is okay" 20 times until I started cussing him out in Spanish (thanks, Cuban wife of mine!) lmao
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a rebreather warming prezzie from a friend - purple loop hose covers. He was making them for his unit (same as mine) and made ones for me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]

CCR appears to have shipped!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Got three packages of gear today (Deep Six, Dive Gear Express, Dive Equipment Co.):

- New Eddy fins
- New SM hardware (bolt snaps, double enders, some other misc. shit)
- Harness parts for my DECO minimalist harness build
- Light plate (to mount my light via bungee loops) for XDeep harness
- New wetnotes book

I tried the XL fins on with my boots and I'm not sure they're gonna fit, top of the foot pocket is kinda tight, but that might change with some use in the pool - who knows. Hopefully I can return to swap for XXL's if necessary (or maybe I need to swap the boots for a size 12, but I can't see how that would help).

Hoping I can get in the pool again tomorrow with my buddy and get my tanks and shit rigged the right way once and for all, so I'm ready to go for my return to West Palm in 2.5 weeks. A friend and I are staying there for 2 nights/3 days for my birthday, doing two night dives at Blue Heron + a day dive, and likely two boat dives with Pura Vida (who confirmed already I'm good to go with them as far as sidemount and/or DPV).

Definitely need to work some more on attaching my right side tank while maintaining trim/buoyancy before I go hop off a boat in 60-90 feet of water with just the left side attached, miss the right one, and watch it rocket down to the bottom lmfao
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s here!

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Definitely need to work some more on attaching my right side tank while maintaining trim/buoyancy before I go hop off a boat in 60-90 feet of water with just the left side attached, miss the right one, and watch it rocket down to the bottom lmfao
View Quote

@floridahunter07

Why can’t you go in with BOTH tanks on? Have them hand you your scooter?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#13]
WOO HOO!

Today is the day!
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#15]
hells yeah!
How's the rebreather?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:
hells yeah!
How's the rebreather?
View Quote

Check out this thread. First open water dives this weekend.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Marie-s-next-diving-adventure-rebreather-training-/5-2587096/
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Invoice for class incidentals. O2 compatible lube is pricey! Sorb went up about $40 just because of transportation costs. It comes from the UK.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Invoice for class incidentals. O2 compatible lube is pricey! Sorb went up about $40 just because of transportation costs. It comes from the UK.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279183/C56462F2-DDCB-43D6-B9C2-33D06F9E3D68-2535038.jpg
View Quote

That's why I only have one of the little pillow paks of Tribolube and it's stored in a ziplock bag. Fuck paying $30+ for the tube at DGX when I literally only use it for air spools in my SPGs, at this point
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]

That's why I only have one of the little pillow paks of Tribolube and it's stored in a ziplock bag. Fuck paying $30+ for the tube at DGX when I literally only use it for air spools in my SPGs, at this point
View Quote

It was like $60 for a 2oz tube. DGX isn’t that much cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Up in WI. First CCR OW dives tomorrow!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Waiting to see how everything turns out for South Florida and my dive trip next weekend after Ian rolls on with himself.

Supposed to head down to Palm Beach next Friday, October 7th, for a night dive at Blue Heron Bridge.

Saturday, Oct. 8th will either be a morning or night dive at BHB again, with a 2-tank boat dive with Pura Vida mid-day

Sunday will be a morning dive at BHB and then probably hitting the road.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm supposed to be at Venice in 10 days to dive a couple of days, wonder how that's going now?
Any ideas/thoughts on if things will be close to normal by then ?
Bill
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BravoCharlie:
I'm supposed to be at Venice in 10 days to dive a couple of days, wonder how that's going now?
Bill
View Quote

Normal?  Not likely.  If you are locked in to hotel/travel and can't get out of it, I would anticipate driving up to Clearwater (2Shea) for a dive or East coast of FL.
If you are already booked on a charter, I would reach out in a couple of days (give them a chance to regroup.) to assess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BravoCharlie:
Bill
View Quote

I highly doubt it will be normal. During Charley (similar intensity but much smaller storm) there were people out of power for months and the recovery took a long time. This is not the kind of thing you clean up in a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ll be in cave country the week before Christmas. 12/18 through 12/23.

@jerrwhy01
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Should be finishing CCR class Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ll be in cave country the week before Christmas. 12/18 through 12/23.

@jerrwhy01
View Quote

I’ve been trying to light a fire under my Gastroenterologists’s butt. I’ve got a decent suspicion of what’s going on with me but I need some test run to confirm it and getting him to schedule the test has been like pulling teeth. At the very least we can meet somewhere for lunch or something.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

I’ve been trying to light a fire under my Gastroenterologists’s butt. I’ve got a decent suspicion of what’s going on with me but I need some test run to confirm it and getting him to schedule the test has been like pulling teeth. At the very least we can meet somewhere for lunch or something.
View Quote

I wasn’t sure about you diving, but figured we could do lunch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#30]
Viz at Blue Heron sucked last night. Lots of particulate in the water.

Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive - Oct 7, 2022
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't watch the whole vid, but thats good vis
Aka whale snot.

I'm not there now, but looks like it might be choppy today off of Palm Beach.  Doable though.
Cams show much brown poopy water.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bap:

I didn't watch the whole vid, but thats good vis
Aka whale snot.

I'm not there now, but looks like it might be choppy today off of Palm Beach.  Doable though.
Cams show much brown poopy water.
View Quote

I’ve never been victimized by a weather app as much as I was today. There were times our dive boat’s bow was plowing into waves so hard the windshield was completely underwater. First 30-40 feet was straight doodoo like diving in a toilet filled with diarrhea

“3 foot seas” my ass! Captain said I disappeared on him a few times with my seven foot SMB…  LOL

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Haha

I use Windfinder.  Decent forecasting.  It called for 4.5 @5s yesterday...so yeah "splashy"

Since moving from South to North FL it has been difficult to plan trips..I have been skunked twice this year.  At least you got out.

Now I just go when its right (I have a flexible schedule)
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Most waves were 6 footers probably but there were definitely some 8 footers mixed in (or more). It was interesting on the way out and not great on the way back.

Dives were awesome though. Glad to be in the water
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I passed my rebreather class! Woo hoo! Got a fun dive in today.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Busy checking my PO2

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking good Marie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bap:

Looking good Marie.
View Quote

@bap

Thank you! Took a lot of hard work over a month of weekends to get to that point. And yes, I know the 40 is too low. Have to redo the rigging.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys hear about the death of the diver yesterday at Roaring River in MO? Kiss had a team exploring that spring for the past year. A friend of mine is a member of the team. A guy from VA was staging tanks at 190ft whej something happened and he drowned.

Guy was in his late 20s. Dived a Sidewinder. Autopsy scheduled for next week. The sheriff’s dive team resounded but the Kiss team brought him up since I assume it was way too deep for the sheriff’s dive team.

No clue what happened yet. There was speculation it was an equipment malfunction in the news articles, but who knows.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Off to WI to dive this coming weekend. Both days. Weather supposed to be decent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Had a good dive weekend. About 2 more hours on my rebreather. 52F water temp. Dropped 2 lbs. made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
WI cave diving season starts this weekend but none of my buddies are available. Some are starting T’giving vacation early.

Sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#43]
It's finally a bearable temperature outside (mid-60's) so I'm cleaning up the garage today and the back yard tomorrow in preparation for Thanksgiving myself. Getting my dive gear organized so it's ready to go again... right now it's all around the garage where I left it to dry like a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#44]
I’m definitely WI cave diving next weekend so tangs welcome news!

Two WI buddies who CCR dive and go deep have been asking if I’d sell any of my 4 pairs of 85s. Sold two pairs today, one to each friend. Made $1100. Kept the two pairs with the valves I like best. I’ll OC SM cave dive with those this winter. I really needed the space anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Less than two weeks to FL!
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a nice CCR OW dive at Troy today.

Off tomorrow as no one to dive with. Going to veg and maybe do a bit of sightseeing.

Diving with a friend on Tuesday at Peacock and guided dives Wed-Friday. Go home Sat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice 50 min dive at Peacock today . Got about 900ft back. Yay, thirds!  Finally got to see the Bone Shelf. Had lunch at Luraville after. Their ham sammiches are to die for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Trip went went. Had an encounter with quite a jerk.

Was at Peacock with the instructor guiding me. We were on the Olson line, in a narrow part where there was NO room to get over. I see the lights of an exiting team come around the corner. They were on us fast. There was a wider section maybe 10ft ahead where I could have gotten over. They wouldn’t wait. Plowed right by me.

When we got back to our cars, this old fat white guy started yelling that we were going to kill someone and he’d kill me if I ever blocked his way again. Said some BS that made me think he was probably a jerk from online somewhere. I apologized and said there was no room to get over. He didn’t want to hear it and kept yelling. The instructor went over to try to calm him down. Old guy’s dive buddy was trying to shush old guy and was telling old guy to shut up. I have no clue who he was.

What an asshat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#49]
A friend died in a diving accident within the past week. Just found out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top