Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My order from DECO is still in their system, apparently, and should ship toward the end of this week as they had to go into production on the wings again. I'm thinking of wearing the inflator on the right with a dump on the left, and (if there is room, I have to measure the XDeep) wearing it between my harness and wing on the Stealth as a redundant bladder. If not, I'm sure I can sell it for more than I paid once I add the free inflator/dump my buddy offered me. lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just picked up my doubles.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet! My DECO order shipped today and I dove my XDeep for the first time. I still need to make some adjustments but all in all it's a pretty comfortable system.

Also, F the flow at Ginnie. I had the tank valve I was breathing off of come unbungeed in the Ear on my exit and about shit my wetsuit as it was trying to pull the reg out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Nice.  Except someone put some metal straps and extra hardware around them.

Faber 95's?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CaverX:

Nice.  Except someone put some metal straps and extra hardware around them.

Faber 95's?
View Quote
Faber HP80s.

I tried SM. Frustrating experience. Read further back in thread for that. Doesn’t work well on the boat. I’m a Great Lakes wreck diver. No caves.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:42:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#6]
All set up. Missing wing inflator hose. The length I need is on order. Perdix transmitter will go on right post.

Put them on (without regs) and walked around my apartment for a bit. Knees are not unhappy.

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#7]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Sweet! My DECO order shipped today and I dove my XDeep for the first time. I still need to make some adjustments but all in all it's a pretty comfortable system.

Also, F the flow at Ginnie. I had the tank valve I was breathing off of come unbungeed in the Ear on my exit and about shit my wetsuit as it was trying to pull the reg out of my mouth.
View Quote
I had a tank come unbungeed on me on a wreck. Scared the heck out of me!

Glad you like your new rig.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:56:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#8]
The AL80's my buddy had were my stage rigged ones (not set up, the bands were just thrown on when I was re-doing a bunch of stuff) and so they were a bit () wonky on him as far as being streamlined:

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Great pics! I especially like the first one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#10]

View Quote
Ginnie is pretty much the only thing open right now. And best of all we get more rain in a couple of days; hurray, more stuff will remain closed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Figured out the weight of entire doubles set up, including regs. Probably around 80lbs or so. Each tank is 28lbs empty.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

Ginnie is pretty much the only thing open right now. And best of all we get more rain in a couple of days; hurray, more stuff will remain closed.
View Quote
I was shocked there was almost nobody there. Couple instructors and 2-3 students on the cavern side and maybe 5-8 cars on the cave side but nobody else in the water when we got in over there, and never passed another team in the cave.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]

I was shocked there was almost nobody there. Couple instructors and 2-3 students on the cavern side and maybe 5-8 cars on the cave side but nobody else in the water when we got in over there, and never passed another team in the cave.
View Quote
I take that’s unusual for Ginnie this time of year? I know a lot of Midwestern folks who seem to go down to cave country several times over the winter, beginning with the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#14]
Originally Posted By Marie:

I take that’s unusual for Ginnie this time of year? I know a lot of Midwestern folks who seem to go down to cave country several times over the winter, beginning with the holidays.
View Quote
Somewhat unusual, cooler air temperatures tend to bring out more divers in my experiences, as you aren't dying in the heat and oppressive humidity trying to put on undergarments, drysuit, doubles, or dripping sweat just from trying to carry scooters, stages, etc. down to the water before putting any type of exposure protection on. Much easier to slip into a wetsuit when it's 45-50 degrees in the parking lot vs. 90+ and you're sweating your ass off (my skin was dry yesterday because it was in the mid 50's at most and I almost fell through my suit I got in it so fast ).

That said, EVERYTHING else here is flooded out right now except for Jug Hole, Ginnie, and Manatee Springs due to the Suwannee River flooding. It's not the worst it's ever been by far, but it's pretty decent.

This is Little River normally:

This is Little River last Friday:

This is the parking lot of Little River yesterday (Tuesday), and taken some 100 or so feet away from there I was standing in the first browned out picture at the top of the wooden steps, which are behind that white sign near the middle of the picture:

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]
So total cost for setting up doubles:

$60 manifold
$50 wing replacement parts
$30 bands
$100 various hoses (wing and drysuit inflator hoses, HP hose for SPG, secondary reg hose)
$25 doubles assembly
$24 bolt kit

$289 total

Not bad at all.

Amount would have been double that if I’d have needed to get a wing. I already had 7” long hose and SPG from SM setup. Using the Halcyon BP I’ve been diving for 2 years. I already had the tanks and they already had left/right modular valves from SM.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a very frustrating, as well as educational pool session yesterday afternoon. I was fighting my gear for a good bit. For some reason tank was sitting very low, plus it was rocking quite a bit side to side. Hard to concentrate on frog when I'm fighting my gear. Gal instructor had me switch gear with her. She had on a basic back inflate BC and an AL63. Holy shit. This bit of video is the result. It's a start, anyway.

https://imgur.com/a/AiPVXD2
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm giving a smaller BP a try. $225 from Halcyon, but I found a video on small BP for smaller people and it made a lot of sense. There's a rather large gap between my back and top of BP. Belt always seems to be more at my hips than waist. I'm not in the pool again for another month, so I'll have time to play with it at home before getting wet. If it doesn't fit, I can always return it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Got Intro to Tech scheduled for later next summer, probably August. Going with Steve Simpson (Abnfrog on SB) out of Temagami, Ontario. He’s a TDI instructor trainer. 13 hours each way. He’s former US Special Forces, even though he’s Canadian. Gun nut, too. We had a several hour conversation last night. He offered to teach ITT for free. Has property on Lake Tegagami with a guest cottage (free accomodations) for students. Another SB friend (lowviz) is going to do ITT with me, for the fun of it. He’s the one who sent me the doubles wing and manifold. We’re probably going to do VIP, too. Steve sort specializes in students with physical challenges. He’s got knee issues himself.

Guy I know locally here took an ice diving course as well as VIP from Steve. Said he’s just excellent.

I’ve got online friends in the Toronto area, I’m going to see along the way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Got Intro to Tech scheduled for later next summer, probably August. Going with Steve Simpson (Abnfrog on SB) out of Temagami, Ontario. He’s a TDI instructor trainer. 13 hours each way. He’s former US Special Forces, even though he’s Canadian. Gun nut, too. We had a several hour conversation last night. He offered to teach ITT for free. Has property on Lake Tegagami with a guest cottage (free accomodations) for students. Another SB friend (lowviz) is going to do ITT with me, for the fun of it. He’s the one who sent me the doubles wing and manifold. We’re probably going to do VIP, too. Steve sort specializes in students with physical challenges. He’s got knee issues himself.

Guy I know locally here took an ice diving course as well as VIP from Steve. Said he’s just excellent.

I’ve got online friends in the Toronto area, I’m going to see along the way.
View Quote
Nice!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
My short BP arrived today. Got everything assembled, adjusted decently, and bolted BP and wing to twinset. OMG, what a difference! Tanks sit so much higher up on my back. Waaayy too low with regular sized plate.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#21]
Somewhat unusual, cooler air temperatures tend to bring out more divers in my experiences, as you aren't dying in the heat and oppressive humidity trying to put on undergarments, drysuit, doubles, or dripping sweat just from trying to carry scooters, stages, etc. down to the water before putting any type of exposure protection on. Much easier to slip into a wetsuit when it's 45-50 degrees in the parking lot vs. 90+ and you're sweating your ass off (my skin was dry yesterday because it was in the mid 50's at most and I almost fell through my suit I got in it so fast ).

That said, EVERYTHING else here is flooded out right now except for Jug Hole, Ginnie, and Manatee Springs due to the Suwannee River flooding. It's not the worst it's ever been by far, but it's pretty decent.

https://floridahikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Little-River-Springs-690x460.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4819/44473700870_87f5d4bbfa_c.jpg

This is the parking lot of Little River yesterday (Tuesday), and taken some 100 or so feet away from there I was standing in the first browned out picture at the top of the wooden steps, which are behind that white sign near the middle of the picture:

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47685961_10161241944355603_3101379640875286528_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=d3f20c23d3cd93eef565ebdb333d14ba&oe=5C9422C8
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://floridahikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Little-River-Springs-690x460.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4819/44473700870_87f5d4bbfa_c.jpg

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47685961_10161241944355603_3101379640875286528_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=d3f20c23d3cd93eef565ebdb333d14ba&oe=5C9422C8
I know its an older post, but Manatee is flooded and closed as well.
In the area for the holiday annoying my kid.  We dove Catfish which was  close to top to  bottom vis.
Man was it cold though, air temp mid 40's
Retreating South today
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Some SB people just need to stop pushing GUE Fundies. Me doing SM held them at bay for a while but now I’m doing doubles, they’ve started up again. Fucking idiots. I’m not a Stepford diver.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Had to run my doubles down to the shop to get the bolts cut shorter. Tried them on with my new short Halcyon plate. So much better fitting than the standard BP. Tanks sit higher on my back where they should be. I’m selling the standard sized plate.

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Some SB people just need to stop pushing GUE Fundies. Me doing SM held them at bay for a while but now I’m doing doubles, they’ve started up again. Fucking idiots. I’m not a Stepford diver.
View Quote
They're a damn cult
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bap:

In the area for the holiday annoying my kid.  We dove Catfish which was  close to top to  bottom vis.
Retreating South today
View Quote
The main spring or the whole park?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
How much for plate?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Had to run my doubles down to the shop to get the bolts cut shorter. Tried them on with my new short Halcyon plate. So much better fitting than the standard BP. Tanks sit higher on my back where they should be. I’m selling the standard sized plate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/ACA1AFBF-D002-4927-BE7E-B9069F179675-788535.jpg
How much for plate?
Already sold it on SB, 45 min after I posted it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Retreating South today
Main spring..
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#31]
New Yesr’s shore dive in Lake Michigan was a bust. Waves too high. We dove off the boat ramp in the marina. Turned out to be a bust. No viz from all the wind. Water temp was 38. We just did a quick dunk and then went for lunch with lots of hot coffee.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
New Yesr’s shore dive in Lake Michigan was a bust. Waves too high. We dove off the boat ramp in the marina. Turned out to be a bust. No viz from all the wind. Water temp was 38. We just did a quick dunk and then went for lunch with lots of hot coffee.
View Quote
Dave Zappala was telling me one time about diving off the MA/NJ coast in the winter time and having to be helped back up the beach to the parking lot and into his SUV with the heat running so they could melt the ice off of their gear and get free of it all...
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Dave Zappala was telling me one time about diving off the MA/NJ coast in the winter time and having to be helped back up the beach to the parking lot and into his SUV with the heat running so they could melt the ice off of their gear and get free of it all...
View Quote

My doubles are all set up. I got the hose I was waiting on. Pool session Sat. The Apeks 5th port kits are still not in yet. Should be in just after I’ve been in the pool. Hose routing I’ve got now is not ideal but it will work until I’ve got the 5th ports.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Brought home what I’m calling the Scuba Sherpa Thursday night - 2018 Ford Escape. 2014 Focus was having more of the trans issues they’re known for and at 90K miles, repairs wouldn’t be under warranty. Escape is a base model they were looking to get off the lot. It was reduced so much I paid for it what I paid for my Focus in 2014.

Stopped by the WeatherTech factory store last night to get cargo area and floor liners.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Brought home what I’m calling the Scuba Sherpa Thursday night - 2018 Ford Escape. 2014 Focus was having more of the trans issues they’re known for and at 90K miles, repairs wouldn’t be under warranty. Escape is a base model they were looking to get off the lot. It was reduced so much I paid for it what I paid for my Focus in 2014.

Stopped by the WeatherTech factory store last night to get cargo area and floor liners.
View Quote
Nice!   My mom had one branded as a Mazda tribute, pretty good vehicle.    Scuba was 50% of the reason I have a Tahoe.  Even boring single tank vest bcd diving takes a lot of room, the kind of stuff you and I do, can fill up even a Tahoe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Nice!   My mom had one branded as a Mazda tribute, pretty good vehicle.    Scuba was 50% of the reason I have a Tahoe.  Even boring single tank vest bcd diving takes a lot of room, the kind of stuff you and I do, can fill up even a Tahoe.
View Quote
I also wanted more ground clearance. The. 9” snow we got in November stopped Focus cold and I got stuck 4 times. 2-4” of snow today so it will be broken in winter wise very quickly!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Doubles maiden voyage in the pool today!
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Also just got Mark Powell’s new book, Technical Diving: An Introduction. His first book was Deco for Divers.

I’m about 8 chapters into the new book. Already I can tell it’s much better than TDI’s Intro to Tech manual.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#39]
First doubles dive today went pretty well. Trim was pretty decent. I was a bit head heavy until we put 2 x 2lb clip weights on my butt D ring. I'm in love! So much better than SM. Got them on, boom! Done! Hauled everything to the pool like I would to the boat - regs and BP already on doubles.

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#40]
First doubles dive today went pretty well. Trim was pretty decent. I was a bit head heavy until we put 2 x 2lb clip weights on my butt D ring. I'm in love! So much better than SM. Got them on, boom! Done! Hauled everything to the pool like I would to the boat - regs and BP already on doubles.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/doubles1-805818.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/2019_0112_155103_002_JPG-805817.jpg
View Quote
Trim looks great

How much more bottom time do the doubles give you over a single 80?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By trout3:
Trim looks great

How much more bottom time do the doubles give you over a single 80?
View Quote
Thank you! I’ve worked hard.

First of all these are steel HP80s, not AL80s. I’m getting time in these in advance of going tech. I’ll be doing my Intro to Tech class in August. I can get two recreational dives out of one set of doubles. A lot of people on the Great Lakes use doubles for recreational charters. They keep the same gear config as their tech dives, plus there is the added advantage of not having to switch tanks between dives.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Grabbed a pair of Hog Tech 2 fins off a FB sale group for $60. Jet fin style but heavier than the neutral Deep6 fins I’ve got now. Need something heavier for the doubles. Best of all, they’re in my medium size, which is a rare find. Lot of tech fins are too big for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]
First of all these are steel HP80s, not AL80s.
View Quote
How much does an HP80 weigh compared to an AL80?

I've never dove backmounted doubles. Been doing SM... but I agree it's frustrating. Carrying two tanks, a scooter, and fins in soft, wet sand for a shore dive is a huge pain in the ass. Getting out is even worse.
I like the advantages SM offers, but I'm not sure it's worth the frustration at this point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
How much does an HP80 weigh compared to an AL80?

I've never dove backmounted doubles. Been doing SM... but I agree it's frustrating. Carrying two tanks, a scooter, and fins in soft, wet sand for a shore dive is a huge pain in the ass. Getting out is even worse.
I like the advantages SM offers, but I'm not sure it's worth the frustration at this point.
View Quote
HP80s are 3 lbs lighter empty than an AL80, and the important part for me, about 5” shorter! Single tank, I can take 4lbs of lead off with an HP80.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#45]

HP80s are 3 lbs lighter empty than an AL80, and the important part for me, about 5" shorter! Single tank, I can take 4lbs of lead off with an HP80.
View Quote
What are the differences in buoyancy characteristics between steel and aluminum empty and full?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#46]

What are the differences in buoyancy characteristics between steel and aluminum empty and full?
View Quote
There’s a chart on the DGX website. I don’t bother with the specifics much. All I know is I can take weight off my belt with my steels and they’re lovely tanks for me.

At the bottom of this page is a chart with steel specifics and then AL80 for comparison.

Link
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
A friend/dive buddy has been challenging me to stretch myself. If ITT in August goes well, I may very well do AN/DP this year. Locally, it’s been done in Sept/Oct over two weekends. One at the local quarry and then another a couple weeks later at Wazee Lake in WI (about 4 hours away).
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]
There’s a chart on the DGX website. I don’t bother with the specifics much. All I know is I can take weight off my belt with my steels and they’re lovely tanks for me.

At the bottom of this page is a chart with steel specifics and then AL80 for comparison.

Link
View All Quotes

Link
I like your twins Marie and am glad they are working out.

Knowing the specifics of the tanks you use will help you get properly weighted.
I know what I need if traveling and renting al80s, as well as what I need exactly for each tank I own (faber 117 &lp95, lp72s, pst hp100, lp45 twins). Weight required with 3mm/5mm/nuffin and what bc I am using, or none (backpack diving). I use mostly hard weights, and I have dedicated sets for each combo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#49]

I like your twins Marie and am glad they are working out.

Knowing the specifics of the tanks you use will help you get properly weighted.
I know what I need if traveling and renting al80s, as well as what I need exactly for each tank I own (faber 117 &lp95, lp72s, pst hp100, lp45 twins). Weight required with 3mm/5mm/nuffin and what bc I am using, or none (backpack diving). I use mostly hard weights, and I have dedicated sets for each combo.
View Quote
I've got help - the other gal I know who dove HP80 doubles on the Great Lakes has a pretty similar build to me. I asked her what she did for weight and I'm going to use that as a starting point. She used 6-8 lbs between a V weight and tail weight with her heavy undergarment and an aluminum backplate. I've got a steel BP. . It's too warm in the pool to use my heavy undies, but I can try my medium fleece undies (on top of thin base layer) in the pool next month. I have to wait until the quarry opens in April to try the doubles with my heavy undies.

She suggested putting the weight as low on my body as possible. I'm going to try the weight pockets that came with my original Halcyon BP/W. They're what I've got and at least won't cost me anything to try. The new fins aren't very heavy. They're Hog Tech 2. Even shorter than my Deep6 fins, but that's OK for wreck diving. The Hogs are at least negatively buoyant and somewhat heavier than the Deep6.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Picked up another pair of the older style skinnier (2" wide) tank bands off eBay to use with a 2nd set of doubles. I thought they were going to be harder to find, but they weren't! Found them the first time I went looking!

I have MultiDeco on my phone and I downloaded the desktop version (free for the first month) to my MacBook.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top