Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Page / 51
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Buoyancy, trim, and propulsion are the trifecta for the foundation for all technical diving.

I recommend an intro to tech course before taking anything else even side mount.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I practice bouyancy by doing several positions

Sitting Indian
Inverted cross
The belly flop
Sleeping on my side
The Superman
Michael Angelo's body of man

It's fun to see how good your trim is in all of these positions. But I'm a geek, so my idea of fun is "odd"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't do the sitting Indian on land much less in the water with gear on.

Trim and buoyancy as already covered. Nothing worse than having a lot of deco and not being able to hold a set depth. Things like a 20' stop while breathing o2 require precision control over bouyancy.

You are a step ahead by being used to carrying a pony. That helps a lot when you move over to single and multiple deco gases and cylinders. Bottle handling skills underwater are critical as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By devildog12210:
I can't do the sitting Indian on land much less in the water with gear on.

Trim and buoyancy as already covered. Nothing worse than having a lot of deco and not being able to hold a set depth. Things like a 20' stop while breathing o2 require precision control over bouyancy.

You are a step ahead by being used to carrying a pony. That helps a lot when you move over to single and multiple deco gases and cylinders. Bottle handling skills underwater are critical as well.
View Quote
Boom CNS hit, you're dead yeah buoyancy can literally be life and death in tech.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah that 20' stop on 100% really kicks up that CNS. I was doing bailout calculations for my dives next month and I had my CCR all written out on my slate with a max CNS at 70% or so. I when to calculate my BO and it shot up to something like 155% CNS with my bottom, 50%, and 100%. I know most guys don't bat an eye at some of the higher CNS percentages but I'm still gun shy. I'm messing around with staying on the 50% longer to keep thmy CNS down in th case I do have to bailout to OC.

I remember a jacket BC and AL80 with a certain fondness. It was certainly lighter!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys!

I wish people would fucking back off about pushing GUE at me. Got several PMs over on SB with people telling me I "need" to take GUE Fundies. The hell I do!

Just to reiterate why not: I can't do BM. GUE doesn't do SM. I'm a wreck diver, not cave. Plus, GUE isn't in the Great Lakes, and I *will* do my training locally (or at least regionally).
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Thanks, guys!

I wish people would fucking back off about pushing GUE at me. Got several PMs over on SB with people telling me I "need" to take GUE Fundies. The hell I do!

Just to reiterate why not: I can't do BM. GUE doesn't do SM. I'm a wreck diver, not cave. Plus, GUE isn't in the Great Lakes, and I *will* do my training locally (or at least regionally).
View Quote
GUE is the Crossfit of Scuba. It's a damn cult. It's an effective way to get very good,  but it isn't the only way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
GUE is the Crossfit of Scuba. It's a damn cult. It's an effective way to get very good,  but it isn't the only way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thanks, guys!

It certain seems like a damn cult. I wouldn't fit in too well, as I don't take well to people telling me "you must be something THIS way ONLY." I've added a couple of additional D rings to my harness that would make GUE folks nuts. Works for me, though.

I'll take my training through TDI. There's a lot of things I like about SDI, and I see no reason to jump to PADI, for example, when my shop offers TDI tech classes. The instructor who teaches through AN/DP also taught my nitrox class. I really like him. He was also the instructor that took me through the try dive for SM at TDI Mission Tech. Sent him an email picking his brain - at what point should I be at skills-wise to take ITT, should I take SM before ITT, etc. He also teaches SM.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Thanks, guys!

My favorite way to get better ... Go diving.
My username is a moniker I got from learning to catch lobsters. I didn't start out a Slayer of crustaceans, but I got so good at it that when I go it's to go catching not to go fishing. Being a better diver made me a better lobster Hunter. Being able to hover upside down and work a hole to get the bug. Being able to maintain position in a strong tide or surge. Being able to move efficiently in the water to get every last drop of bottom time possible to get that limit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
SM rig arrived today.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
SM rig arrived today.
View Quote
Have fun playing around with it. I've gotten more help here than from my dive buddies when it comes to SM. I'm quickly learning that its how the bottle is rigged that really makes a difference in how it sits.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Have to save up for regs over winter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Teaching a referral this weekend. Crossing my fingers their instructor taught them well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Buy something used Scubapro off of ebay and I will rebuild them for you.  All you need are the regs and parts.  You can get those on EBay.

Just please get a MK-25 or MK-20 for the 1st,

If you need help selecting, just ask.  We can find something top notch you can afford.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind!

I have expensive taste in regs. My main set is an AL Legend LX Supreme and I have an Apeks XTX50 on my pony. Love how they breathe. Used some Hollis regs at the TDI Mission Tech thing at our local quarry last month (they were the regs on the SM tanks), and they were just awful. Really rough breathing. The Apeks XTX50 SM kit is $1550 at DRIS (which is my local shop, where I also take my classes through). They'd give me a good discount, but I'm not sure how much. A friend found that exact set on eBay yesterday for about $800, but I don't have the $$ for them right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I had emailed the local tech/SM instructor I want to go with.

He suggested SDI SM class first as I've not been diving SM. Helps to get everything adjusted properly, etc.

Found out TDI ITT is for BM doubles and TDI SM is for SM. Both teach the same skills, tailored to the specific configuration.

I'm going to keep to my plan for SDI SM next summer and we'll see after that for the TDI SM class, depending on how I'm doing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

YOU have expensive taste in regs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
@Dan_Gray

Did you buy new? Damn.

I have to admit I prefer buying regs new. My pony reg was new in box, still shrink wrapped which was the only reason I bought it. I've got a very good LDS and I prefer to support them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
@Dan_Gray

Did you buy new? Damn.

I have to admit I prefer buying regs new. My pony reg was new in box, still shrink wrapped which was the only reason I bought it. I've got a very good LDS and I prefer to support them.
View Quote
yep.  Though I got key-man pricing,  so the the black tech set and regular a700 only ran about a grand. I also rtun a wireless multigas Luna.  But I run a back up SPG older than I am.   I think I could beat an elephant to death with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

There was a 700 on eBay the other day. Used for like 450 buy it now. Used like three dives.

That would be a steal.
View Quote
I'm hunting another 1 or 2. I'm gonna Cerakote one green.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Lake Michigan tomorrow. 2 fun dives in am. 3 dives for wreck class in pm. Really holding my breath that the weather holds for the afternoon charter. I do NOT want to have to do wreck st the quarry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Just finished rigging my doubles set and will try them out tomorrow. They should be fun in a wetsuit!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Omni:
Just finished rigging my doubles set and will try them out tomorrow. They should be fun in a wetsuit!
View Quote
Arkansas has no good places to dive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#27]
And I thought gun guys and fishermen were gear-whores.

I laid off diving for 30 years until I took a scuba update class prior to our trip to Hawaii. After going through these threads I can tell things have changed more than a little.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#28]
I finished my certification as a PADI rescue diver today.  Also completed the DAN DEMP course last week as part of the LDS' "Ultimate Rescue Diver" program. I had an instructor (my original OW one) and a DMC all to myself this weekend.  Plenty of other diver's to use as victims too.   He really mixed it up with scenarios to make it tough on me.   On one unresponsive diver on the bottom scenario my instructor had dis-connected the BCD LPI hose on the victim which I didn't notice.  Maybe even added a bunch of weight to him now that I think about, or the diver was just overweighted to begin with.  But then the schrader valve in my inflator broke (as we found upon inspection later) and I couldn't fill the BCD that way.  I try kicking us up but that wasn't happening.  Looking back I should've just orally inflated or at least tried.  But I didn't know what was happening so I decided we should just abort it and start over.  But it definitely gets you thinking about all the things you need to consider.  Don't just assess the victim, assess all the gear too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SciFiFlyer:
And I thought gun guys and fishermen were gear-whores.

I laid off diving for 30 years until I took a scuba update class prior to our trip to Hawaii. After going through these threads I can tell things have changed more than a little.
View Quote
Yeah, we ARE gear whores! Computers have changed things big time. No more tables for your average recreational diver.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, no Wreck certification today. Third dive was a clusterfuck.

I did 5 dives today. I am beat. 2 fun dives in the morning. We had 4ft waves (rollers, so a little better). Thank goodness for Bonine. I wasn't sick. Viz was very bad.

We switched wreck for class due to bad viz on one and slightly better vis on another. But then another buddy pair silted out the section of the wreck we were going to be penetrating. Buddy and I were running some line and getting ready to penetrate the section when instructor told us to retrieve our line and head up. Turns out besides the silt out, one guy separated from his buddy and went in himself. WTF.  Buddy and I got brownie points for actually staying together!

We'll finish up the class with a redo of 3rd dive at the quarry in a few weeks on the 33ft cabin cruiser in the quarry. I'm beat. Thank goodness for nitrox.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Last 4 days have been the first week of my IDC. Our Course Director is regarded as one of the toughest out there, but he makes great instructors. Didn't get below a 4.0 on any of the skills presentations or the class presentations, and got a 95 on the Standards test.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Last 4 days have been the first week of my IDC. Our Course Director is regarded as one of the toughest out there, but he makes great instructors. Didn't get below a 4.0 on any of the skills presentations or the class presentations, and got a 95 on the Standards test.
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Instabuddy Sat am charter was really new, about 16 dives, but with good buoyancy and an ice guy. Took some pics of me - I was taking pics that didn't come out.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally got the 9" inflator hose I need to replace my 15" hose that stuck out from my chest in a U-shape...
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Keeping with the thread title now: OW 1980, AOW 1984, member Knoxville Volunteer Rescue Squad water rescue/dive team 1985-1989. Sold off all my gear decades ago, recently updated skills for a Hawaii trip.

2-tank morning dive in February north of Kailua-Kona, Pelagic Magic black water dive 2-3mi offshore which is a dive I highly recommend adding to your bucket-list.

So I'm rusty but could polish myself back up. I had a lot of non-standard training in the squad which you will not find available to the general public. That and $2 will get me a cup of coffee anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Keeping with the thread title now: OW 1980, AOW 1984, member Knoxville Volunteer Rescue Squad water rescue/dive team 1985-1989. Sold off all my gear decades ago, recently updated skills for a Hawaii trip.

2-tank morning dive in February north of Kailua-Kona, Pelagic Magic black water dive 2-3mi offshore which is a dive I highly recommend adding to your bucket-list.

So I'm rusty but could polish myself back up. I had a lot of non-standard training in the squad which you will not find available to the general public. That and $2 will get me a cup of coffee anywhere.
View Quote
Actually, I started this thread to chronicle my diving experiences when I got OW certified last fall. Now, it's sort of become everyone's ongoing diving thread/pics/continuing experiences thread.

Rescue is in a month. Starting on my homework tonight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#37]
That and $2 will get me a cup of coffee anywhere.
View Quote
I don't think that's even possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
View All Quotes
That and $2 will get me a cup of coffee anywhere.
At McD's, it will! And I like their coffee better than Starbucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#39]
A friend from OH might be coming into town this weekend. We'd dive Lake Michigan Sat, quarry Sun. I'd dive quarry with my regular buddy Mon.

Diving Lake Michigan with another friend the 9th.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, my plans to go cave diving this weekend just got destroyed last night, my buddy is going to Texas for two weeks starting today (he's an emergency room RN).

He should make about $12,000 though, so I don't blame him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Well, my plans to go cave diving this weekend just got destroyed last night, my buddy is going to Texas for two weeks starting today (he's an emergency room RN).

He should make about $12,000 though, so I don't blame him.
View Quote
That sucks!

I got lassoed into doing Madison with a buddy of mine tomorrow otherwise I'd tell you not to unpack your stuff and come on up anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Waiting for OH friend to confirm if she's coming to Chicago or so. Otherwise, I'll just be diving the quarry with regular buddy Monday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Supposed friend bailed on me after I'd already booked the charter. But I'm still going, just Sunday. Will have to instabuddy as I'm not having any luck finding anyone local who wants to go last minute. Getting to dive two wrecks I've wanted to see anyway. Rotarian and the Straits of Mackinac. Both are 85ft to the keel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
So who wants to dive with me this winter in FL on my first saltwater dives?

Arfcom dive?

The two people who I might have gone to FL with this winter are out (one due to $$, the other due to me not trusting that she won't cancel on me, as she did this weekend). I need someone to dive in FL. I want something not too sharky, if possible.

I'm not used to current, and I've been diving down to 85ft a few times, so I'm good with that depth. I'd prefer to dive wrecks, if possible! I'll be bringing all my own gear, but it would be very nice if I could borrow a pony.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Arfcom dive?

The two people who I might have gone to FL with this winter are out (one due to $, the other due to me not trusting that she won't cancel on me, as she did this weekend). I need someone to dive in FL. I want something not too sharky, if possible.

I'm not used to current, and I've been diving down to 85ft a few times, so I'm good with that depth. I'd prefer to dive wrecks, if possible! I'll be bringing all my own gear, but it would be very nice if I could borrow a pony.
View Quote
I'll be here all Winter and then in the spring. Oh and then in the summer. And then next winter and so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Also if you intend to wreck dive then Fort Lauderdale is a good base. It gives you easy access to Miami and the keys as well as palm beach. Tons and tons of wrecks to dive in recreational range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#47]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:

That sucks!

I got lassoed into doing Madison with a buddy of mine tomorrow otherwise I'd tell you not to unpack your stuff and come on up anyway.
View Quote
I used the day to run errands and go back to the doctor. Down 15 pounds total, with five of those in the last week, and I've dropped my resting heart rate 26 beats per minute.

Hoping I can go diving Sunday maybe. I have a single AL80 at the hydro guy that I can't pick up until tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm trying to see if my girlfriend's best friend wants to go, she just got certified and the GF has to work 0700-1500 all weekend. :(
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Arfcom dive?

The two people who I might have gone to FL with this winter are out (one due to $, the other due to me not trusting that she won't cancel on me, as she did this weekend). I need someone to dive in FL. I want something not too sharky, if possible.

View Quote
where?  I'm in the pan handle the week before Christmas.  Charters will be light,  but barring weather,  shouldn't be hard to get enough people together to do the Oriskany.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#49]
where?  I'm in the pan handle the week before Christmas.  Charters will be light,  but barring weather,  shouldn't be hard to get enough people together to do the Oriskany.
View Quote
Where in the panhandle do you disembark? I will be running up to Tennessee to visit my dad in the VA hospital and my family loves the panhandle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Where in the panhandle do you disembark? I will be running up to Tennessee to visit my dad in the VA hospital and my family loves the panhandle.
View Quote
Wherever I can find a boat . Our rental is actually in AL, but I can throw a rock and hit FL.  Planning on a couple of dive days out of p'cola. Maybe some springs if the boats aren't running.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top