BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
All my ingredients and hardware is in.  Gonna mix up my first batch on Thursday.

Nic is in the freezer.  I also don't have as many empty bottles as I had thought, so I ordered some 100ml bottles.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144217/20161206-175932-101372.JPG
View Quote

Let me know how that scale works out. Mine is pretty slugish...

Did I mention you can make really great beer starters with that stirrer?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sywagon:

Let me know how that scale works out. Mine is pretty slugish...

Did I mention you can make really great beer starters with that stirrer?
View Quote

It's highly recommended pretty much everywhere I look for DIY info.  It also has great reviews on Amazon, where I got it.  It was $25.  It's the AWS LB-501.  I've only calibrated it so far (wasn't far off out of the box), but it seems fairly quick to read.  But I'm not very familiar with digital scales, so I don't know what is considered fast or slow.  It's the same one in the video I posted on the last page.  You can see how fast it reads.

I don't drink, so the beer aspect isn't for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

Don't forget to take the nic out of the freezer a day before you use it. I break mine down into 60ml bottles and take one out at a time and just leave it out. No need to re-freeze it if you plan on using it within a few months.
View Quote

I got (2) 60ml amber glass bottles with polycone tops to break down the 120ml nic solution.  Just didn't have time to mess with it today.

I got 100mg/ml nic in a PG base.  You think I should still pull it a day before, being that it isn't VG based (thick)?

I planned on getting it in a VG base, but got PG based by accident.  When I input the recipe I'm going to do for my first, I found that I can't get the 80VG/20PG end result as I had planned, due to the PG based nic and PG based flavors.  Not a huge deal to me.  75/25 is fine with me.  I may switch to VG based in the future, depending on how the juices taste.  But I've rarely used above 80/20, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Yea I would still pull it out the day before.
View Quote

Sounds good.  I'll probably make my first attempt in a couple days when I'm off from work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Got antsy before I have to go to sleep in a few, and decided to make a quick 30ml.  But I'm too lazy to recoil/wick, so I'm gonna let it sit overnight and try it tomorrow.  Smells really good.

The PG based nic was basically as thin as it was at room temp when I put it in the freezer yesterday afternoon, so that was good that I didn't have to let it sit out.

Despite me saying the scale is fast (I was going by the 200g calibration weights beforehand ), I now realize that when dealing in drops, you need to let it catch up.  I went a good bit over on the nic, but luckily it was the first ingredient I put in, so I was able to suck some back out with the pipette to get the weight back down.  I took it slow with the rest of the ingredients.

I went with this recipe that I found on /r/DIY_ejuice:

Attachment Attached File

I'm gonna use some of the recipes I saw here in the Vapers Den in the other thread, once I get the appropriate flavors.  

I'll report back tomorrow on how awesome or terrible my first attempt was.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, this doesn't look normal.  It's TFA Belgian Waffle from Wizard Labs.  Is it supposed to be cloudy like this?  None of the other flavors have any sort of cloudiness to them at all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of them will cloud up when agitated.  If it stays cloudy, and you're worried about it, call TFA and ask them to read you the color description from the FDA certificate, it should describe the color and clarity the liquid is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Twelvepack:
A lot of them will cloud up when agitated.  If it stays cloudy, and you're worried about it, call TFA and ask them to read you the color description from the FDA certificate, it should describe the color and clarity the liquid is supposed to be.
View Quote

I just looked on WL's site for the flavor and this was in the description:

"Sometimes crystals will form in this flavoring due to temperature changes during transport. These crystals can be dissolved back into solution by gently warming the flavoring container in a pan of hot water."

I was worried there for a second.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]

I've seen that on a few of my bottles. But have never experienced it. Maybe because it was 86* here today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I just looked on WL's site for the flavor and this was in the description:

"Sometimes crystals will form in this flavoring due to temperature changes during transport. These crystals can be dissolved back into solution by gently warming the flavoring container in a pan of hot water."

I was worried there for a second.

I've seen that on a few of my bottles. But have never experienced it. Maybe because it was 86* here today.

It's been in the 30's for awhile here.  I keep my house at a balmy 65* this tine of year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Got new coils and wicks in my Limitless Plus and filled it up with my first attempt from the recipe I posted earlier.

It's pretty good.  Doesn't blow my socks off, but I could keep it in the rotation.  I bought enough flavors for 3 specific recipes that I found online.  I'll try whipping up the other 2 this week sometime.

All in all, I'm glad I got into this.  The "what the fuck is all this shit?" feeling went away once I read more and watched some videos.  It's easier than making dinner.  Thanks for the help, guys.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twelvepack] [#15]
Got new coils and wicks in my Limitless Plus and filled it up with my first attempt from the recipe I posted earlier.

It's pretty good.  Doesn't blow my socks off, but I could keep it in the rotation.  I bought enough flavors for 3 specific recipes that I found online.  I'll try whipping up the other 2 this week sometime.

All in all, I'm glad I got into this.  The "what the fuck is all this shit?" feeling went away once I read more and watched some videos.  It's easier than making dinner.  Thanks for the help, guys.
View Quote

Glad you got into it too.

Now go add flavors to that batch that didn't knock your socks off, and post pics of bare feet.  Sometimes a drop of this or that can work wonders.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Glad you got into it too.

Now go add flavors to that batch that didn't knock your socks off, and post pics of bare feet.  Sometimes a drop of this or that can work wonders.
View Quote

I think I'm just gonna lower the caramel and butterscotch percentages and/or up one or more of the different vanillas and see how it goes.

I'm not the creative type, so my plan at the moment is to just find recipes with good reviews that interest me, and then buy the needed flavors.  Also, the calculator I use allows you to input all of your flavors and it will tell you what recipes you can make.  And you can search out recipes, too.

This is the calculator I'm using: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/

If you click the Ratings link in the results, it will sort by best reviewed first and you can read comments on the recipe.  If you make an account (free and unobtrusive), you can save your recipes, save other peoples recipes, follow people who routinely put out good recipes and save your flavor stash list so you fan find what you can make with your stash.  I'm liking it a lot so far.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Keep caramel low for sure. It's weird if you put too much. What % did you use in your recipe?
View Quote

2% caramel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
This is the recipe I used from Reddit.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#21]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Get rid of the vanilla custard and just use Vanilla bean at 8%. Up the sweetener 2% (4% total). See if that works for you.

ETA: "bakery" flavors change after they steep more than fruit flavors do.
View Quote

I guess I'll let it sit for a bit then see how it tastes, and adjust from there as needed.

On an unrelated note; Is there any issue with flavors being stored in plastic bottles?  Bull City Flavors, from what I'm reading, rebottles all companies' flavors into plastic bottles with drip tops, which would completely eliminate pipettes for mixing by weight (aside from the nic solution).  Sounds appealing to me.  But my TFA flavors from Wizards Labs came in glass vials.

Just wondering if plastic bottles are an issue for long term storage of flavors, being that I don't vape a shit ton.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#23]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#24]

I guess I'll let it sit for a bit then see how it tastes, and adjust from there as needed.

On an unrelated note; Is there any issue with flavors being stored in plastic bottles?  Bull City Flavors, from what I'm reading, rebottles all companies' flavors into plastic bottles with drip tops, which would completely eliminate pipettes for mixing by weight (aside from the nic solution).  Sounds appealing to me.  But my TFA flavors from Wizards Labs came in glass vials.

Just wondering if plastic bottles are an issue for long term storage of flavors, being that I don't vape a shit ton.
View Quote

None of my flavors have had any reaction with the bottles Bull City uses, including the cinnamon. Some have been in there at least 6 months.

Grab the bottles, pipetting is for the birds if you are using a scale.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome. Thanks, fellows.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Just put in an order for about 12 flavors with Bull City Vapors.  Went with 30ml bottles for everything.  Once I use up the glass vials of flavors I have now, I won't need pipettes anymore (I will just use one of my old syringes for the nicotine).  I can see this getting expensive.  But in all honesty, I will probably settle on 3-4 recipes I really like, and just rotate through them.  After all, the whole point of DIY is to save money, right?

For you guys who order from BCV, in case you weren't aware, "VU6" gives you 6% off.  Not much, but better than nothing.  I subscribed to their newsletter, so I hope they put out some good discounts for holidays and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Got bored.  So I tweaked the recipe along the lines of what you mentioned, Keith.  Didn't totally drop the VC, but dropped down to 6% (which is all I had left, so I figured I'd use it up).  Dropped the caramel to 1%.  Upped the Sweetener to 4%.  Also dropped the nic to 5%.  Got 100ml stirring right now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been at DIY about 8 months, so take it for what it's worth...  

I've found that some of my "meh" recipes really develop into something "pretty good" after about a month or so.  I've made around 50ish recipes so far.  Out of those 50, I have around 15 keepers, I consider house juices.  I use 50ml bottles, but only make up 30mls of a new recipe to save on ingredients until I find something worth making again.  When I mix, I usually make 1000-1500mls or so, then just throw them in the closet and forget about them for awhile.  this keeps me and the wife in juice for a good while.  When we're about half way through the stash, I'll mix another batch of our "go-to's", then experment with a couple new recipes as well.

I've got a hot stir plate, so I mix up 100mls at a time in a 250ml beaker (I have the same scale as you, and 100ml is my limit or risk maxing out the scale with the weight of the beaker).  Throw it on the stir plate for around 20min set at 50C.  I feel this blends the flavors well, and helps off-gas any alcohols or off flavors, but not letting it get too hot.

I found myself running out of counter space real quick with flavors, so I cobbled together a stand that keeps everything within arms reach and easy to see.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
120ml of Bavarian cream, cappuccino, cake batter, funnel cake, and toasted almond on its way from Wizard Labs, should get here today or tomorrow.  All Capella flavors.

I'm going to dry a pretty flavor-heavy blend of a lot of white flavors, pastries and creams, to see if I can maximize those flavors without going overboard on one and getting that "you used too much XYZ" flavor.  Starting with BC, CB, FC, vanilla bean ice cream, and a couple of others.  I'm using this as a base, I'm not trying to make it taste like something, and I don't care if it has any complexity, I just want a good rich flavor that more vibrant flavors will pop out of.

Basically what I'm trying to do is see if three or four wrongs makes a right.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:
I've been at DIY about 8 months, so take it for what it's worth...  

I've found that some of my "meh" recipes really develop into something "pretty good" after about a month or so.  I've made around 50ish recipes so far.  Out of those 50, I have around 15 keepers, I consider house juices.  I use 50ml bottles, but only make up 30mls of a new recipe to save on ingredients until I find something worth making again.  When I mix, I usually make 1000-1500mls or so, then just throw them in the closet and forget about them for awhile.  this keeps me and the wife in juice for a good while.  When we're about half way through the stash, I'll mix another batch of our "go-to's", then experment with a couple new recipes as well.

I've got a hot stir plate, so I mix up 100mls at a time in a 250ml beaker (I have the same scale as you, and 100ml is my limit or risk maxing out the scale with the weight of the beaker).  Throw it on the stir plate for around 20min set at 50C.  I feel this blends the flavors well, and helps off-gas any alcohols or off flavors, but not letting it get too hot.

I found myself running out of counter space real quick with flavors, so I cobbled together a stand that keeps everything within arms reach and easy to see.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/265451/Juice-103403.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I did earlier; 100ml batch in a 250ml beaker.  Seems like a good amount for me.  I used to buy 120ml bottles of juices that I liked.

I've been looking at storage ideas for all the gear and whatnot.  I like your setup.

I'm leaning towards getting something like this:

Attachment Attached File

I figure I would use the top 2 small drawers for flavors, and keep the flavors in these:

Attachment Attached File

Then use 1 big drawer for my scale, stir plate, beakers, and VG (I have VG in a 236ml bottle that's kinda tall).  Then use the bottom big drawer (and spray the outside of the drawer with some black Krylon Fusion to keep light out) as my steeping drawer.  Might go for a 5 drawer version, to have an extra drawer for odds and ends, like empty bottles and stuff.  I'll have to wait to see how big they look in person.

That way I can keep everything in one place, but keep it out of sight and just wheel it into the kitchen when I want to get my Jessie Pinkman on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:06:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Breed] [#31]
Damn.  Put my order in with BCV at 9am.  Tracking # email at 12pm.  Picked up by the post office at 2pm.  

That's fast.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Let me know how it comes out.
View Quote

Will do.  

Hopefully better than the original recipe (which is either rounding out on its own, or I'm just liking it better. Tastes good.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Will do.  

Hopefully better than the original recipe (which is either rounding out on its own, or I'm just liking it better. Tastes good.)
View Quote

I've had some flavors I thought were pretty bad at first, then a little vape tongue kicks in and the flavors that were initially making me cringe were actually pretty good.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#35]

I've had some flavors I thought were pretty bad at first, then a little vape tongue kicks in and the flavors that were initially making me cringe were actually pretty good.  
View Quote

Could be that, too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#36]
What are you guys doing for labels?  I know Sharpie wears off quick on plastic bottles.  I'm thinking I'll just use some masking tape, and if Sharpie still wears off that, put some Scotch tape over it.  Ghetto fabulous.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Do 3 or 4 wrongs make a right?  No.  Oh hell no.  Fortunately I jumped off the bus right after I got on.

275ish ml of VG, then I added 10ml each of vanilla bean ice cream, cake batter, funnel cake, and Bavarian cream.  Then I mixed and tasted.  It was 10 kinds of wrong.  Like every bad cream or pastry overdose rolled into one.  The cringe-inducing chemical zing of too much of a strong flavor, and I'm not even halfway to my usual amount of flavorings.

Fortunately, none of it was so bad as to be unrecoverable.  Flavor-wise, the hole in the flavor profile was obvious, and it got filled with toasted almond...a wonderful flavoring, I gotta add...and just the smallest bit of honey, which is strong enough a small bottle could flavor half the Atlantic.

Definitely tasty.  Very much like a pecan roll...I'm sitting here tasting it now and it's so close to that it's kinda cool.  Certainly not what I intended, which was a really strong white base, but this was the 1st time I've used some of these flavors, so I'm pretty pleased with it.  If it vapes as nice as it tastes, definitely an economy flavor, used less flavoring than just about any of my other flavors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#39]
What are you guys doing for labels?  I know Sharpie wears off quick on plastic bottles.  I'm thinking I'll just use some masking tape, and if Sharpie still wears off that, put some Scotch tape over it.  Ghetto fabulous.
View Quote

I used to be fancy and printed labels. Now I just use sharpies on the bottles and put a piece of scotch tape over the top of it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I figure I will go along that route, being that they're just for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#41]
So I mixed up some juice the other day, and at first it had loads of flavor, but now on day 3 or so the flavor just isn't there.  When you guys say pastries and custards have to steep, is it because initially you're making it super strong (and possibly chemical-tasting), and the steep time is letting the flavor sort of wash out to tasty levels?

New to these flavors, and everyone said you had to let them steep, but never heard it's because you need to overload it up front so it has flavor after steeping.  It all sort of makes sense now, if that's the reasoning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you guys have a tasting method, for juices that you're coming up with recipes on your own, or tweaking as you go?

I'm currently only using online recipes that have a good reviews and that sound good.  But if I ever get around to testing out from-scratch recipes, I hope there is an easier way than filling up a tank to try it.  Just use a dripper?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#45]

I like to test it in a tank I actually use. I just prime the wick up real good on a clean coil/new wick and try it out.
View Quote

Sounds good.

Once I get more batches under my belt, and figure out which flavors I like best, I'm sure I'll try to come up with a recipe of my own.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Do you guys have a tasting method, for juices that you're coming up with recipes on your own, or tweaking as you go?

I'm currently only using online recipes that have a good reviews and that sound good.  But if I ever get around to testing out from-scratch recipes, I hope there is an easier way than filling up a tank to try it.  Just use a dripper?
View Quote

I come up with my own.  Lately I like to make a big batch of a good base that tastes good on its own, then I doctor up a 30ml portion of that to try out for a day.

When I'm in full-blown experimental mode, there's a dripper we call the Magnet...not sure what its real name is, but I've got two of them.  It's small, single coil, and it's the easiest dripper on the planet to build and re-wick.  I run a big coil on it, 3.5 or 4mm with 22 gauge kanthal, that really does a great job of sopping up the juice, so if I put a couple of drops on it it's done in a hit or two and there's very little carry-over flavor.  I generally don't have to re-wick with it unless I do something radically different, like going from a fruit to a cinnamon.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#47]
FYI, Bull City Flavors is offering free shipping on the 18th.  They are my go-to for almost all of my DIY juice needs, and have one of the best brand lineups around.  The only thing they don't offer is nicotine due to the vaping tax laws passed in NC.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Breed] [#48]
Originally Posted By corruptor:
FYI, Bull City Flavors is offering free shipping on the 18th.  They are my go-to for almost all of my DIY juice needs, and have one of the best brand lineups around.  The only thing they don't offer is nicotine due to the vaping tax laws passed in NC.
View Quote

I got an order from them last week.  13 flavors (all 30ml) of various flavor companies.  All came in plastic bottles with dropper tips.  Makes it extremely easy when you're mixing by weight.  Very fast shipping, too.  Very pleased with them and will be going back for more.

Edit: VU6 gets you 6% off, also.  I think it's a non-expiring code.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I got an order from them last week.  13 flavors (all 30ml) of various flavor companies.  All came in plastic bottles with dropper tips.  Makes it extremely easy when you're mixing by weight.  Very fast shipping, too.  Very pleased with them and will be going back for more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice haul!  
I use syringes and 18ga-20ga needles for flavor measuring' those same dropper bottles make a pretty good seal on the needle after you push it through once or twice.

Wizard Labs is also running a sale until midnight, 12/18:
Use the coupon code "Holiday16" to receive 15% off all Flavors, PG, VG, and Nicotine Solutions.

Also, free shipping for orders over $55.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Keith, from past posts, I know you're a custard slut.  Which vendor do you prefer for your vanilla custard?

I'm using TFA Vanilla Custard and like it a lot.  I also have a juice steeping that I haven't tried yet, that has Capella VC v1.  I know both of those have diketones.  I've never gone out of my way to avoid them before, despite the supposed possible risks.  But I see that Capella VC v2 is diketone-free.  Have you tried it?  Any good?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top