BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lcoates33:
Silly question.. How did you fill it.. top fill?
View Quote

I've always been a top filler, but I've tried both on this and it still leaks. Bull shit I tell ya.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive finally mastered top-filling my KFL.

-Cover airhole with your finger and keep it there.
-Unscrew top.
-Fill.
-Screw top on for a few threads.
-Flip upside down.
-Let juice fall to top (which is now on the bottom).
-Let finger off airhole.
-Tighten top all the way.
-Keep upside down for a few more seconds.
-Done.

Im not sure what parts are absolutely necessary, but if I dont do it just like that, in that exact order, I get leaks.  Doing it that way, I get zero leaks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
Ive finally mastered top-filling my KFL.

-Cover airhole with your finger and keep it there.
-Unscrew top.
-Fill.
-Screw top on for a few threads.
-Flip upside down.
-Let juice fall to top (which is now on the bottom).
-Let finger off airhole.
-Tighten top all the way.
-Keep upside down for a few more seconds.
-Done.

Im not sure what parts are absolutely necessary, but if I dont do it just like that, in that exact order, I get leaks.  Doing it that way, I get zero leaks.

View Quote

Just how I do it too.
Only thing to add to that is dont fill too slow or you can get some gurgling.
I think this one will have to get set aside.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If I don't have a torch can I get them as close together as possible, then attach it and fire the battery to get the coil red hot, then squeeze it together while it's attached to the mod?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Towely:
If I don't have a torch can I get them as close together as possible, then attach it and fire the battery to get the coil red hot, then squeeze it together while it's attached to the mod?
View Quote

I attach mine to my VTR and build it. It has ohm readings and works fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#6]
Originally Posted By fmkenner:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good news.  I obviously don't have a clue what I'm doing but I just placed dibs on a Kayfun Mini in the EE so I'd like to be ready to go when it comes.

How often will I be rebuilding/replacing coils and wicks if I'm using 28g Kanthal running at around 1.6ohms?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Good news.  I obviously don't have a clue what I'm doing but I just placed dibs on a Kayfun Mini in the EE so I'd like to be ready to go when it comes.

How often will I be rebuilding/replacing coils and wicks if I'm using 28g Kanthal running at around 1.6ohms?
View All Quotes

Truthfully I'm not sure, I'm kind of new too. I know coil building lasts longer, tastes better, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Yes, but don't actually be firing when you touch the coil with your metal tweezer/needle nose.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Yes, but don't actually be firing when you touch the coil with your metal tweezer/needle nose.

View All Quotes

The video posted right after the OP has this process... Good vid to watch. Between this thread and that vid is how I learned to wrap coils and do my builds.

Thanks again Keith.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

I'm not QUITE that dumb

So heat treating with the torch is simply to make forming the coil easier, or is there some other reason to do this that makes it perform better?

From what little I know I would assume only the former is the case.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm not QUITE that dumb

So heat treating with the torch is simply to make forming the coil easier, or is there some other reason to do this that makes it perform better?

View All Quotes

I'm not QUITE that dumb

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm not QUITE that dumb

View All Quotes

I'm not QUITE that dumb

Yes.  You want them to be glowing evenly from the inside out.  You'll know when you get it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I really don't see a need to torch the coils at all. The only heat I apply to mine (after initially testing the resistance) is to heat it up to make sure none of the coils are touching each other and falsely making the resistance go down (i.e. a couple coils being so tight next to each other that they're touching which makes them act like a a thicker gauge wire).

While they are heated up though, it does make the wire more pliable so you can move it around much easier if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TriChrome:

I really don't see a need to torch the coils at all. The only heat I apply to mine (after initially testing the resistance) is to heat it up to make sure none of the coils are touching each other and falsely making the resistance go down (i.e. a couple coils being so tight next to each other that they're touching which makes them act like a a thicker gauge wire).

While they are heated up though, it does make the wire more pliable so you can move it around much easier if you wanted to.
View Quote

That's exactly what you want, with a micro-coil.

I always assume we're talking micro-coils nowadays.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#15]
For squeezing your coils, get an old pair of Schollhorn parallel pliers.

They work well. Better than tweezers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone got any tips for opening up the juice channels on a KFL+?

Keith, I need to look at the one you gave me.  I know you opened them up, but I can't remember if you did just the horizontal channels or the vertical channels, too.  But I'd think messing with the vertical channels would screw up the chimney threading?

The EHPro KFL+ V2 I got does not seem to have the giant channels that I usually see with theirs, specifically.  I have to take a few primer puffs after a couple drags, or else I get dry hits and end up funkying up my wick.  Not a huge deal, but I've never had to do that with the one you gave me.

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Keith1980:

I did both. You just have to be careful around the threads and go slow. I used these. They aren't high quality but they are cheap (right up your alley) and I didn't really need them for anything else.
View All Quotes
Anyone got any tips for opening up the juice channels on a KFL+?

Keith, I need to look at the one you gave me.  I know you opened them up, but I can't remember if you did just the horizontal channels or the vertical channels, too.  But I'd think messing with the vertical channels would screw up the chimney threading?

The EHPro KFL+ V2 I got does not seem to have the giant channels that I usually see with theirs, specifically.  I have to take a few primer puffs after a couple drags, or else I get dry hits and end up funkying up my wick.  Not a huge deal, but I've never had to do that with the one you gave me.

I did both. You just have to be careful around the threads and go slow. I used these. They aren't high quality but they are cheap (right up your alley) and I didn't really need them for anything else.

Thanks.  I have one of those giant Dremel accessories kits laying around somewhere.  I'll check to see if I have any diamond bits that small.  If not, off to HF.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#19]

This works on all the Kayfun clones or the real thing. You will need a 3/32 drill bit, 28g Kanthal wire, cotton ball, butane torch, scissors, and tweezers. This build should put you at 1.6 ohms. Before you start torch the piece of wire so it holds it's shape better.

Next put the bottom part of the chamber on. The wick should stay put if not you can move it away from the channels with the flathead. It should look like this.

View Quote

I'm trying exactly this, with 5 or 6 wraps of 28ga on a 1/8 allen key, gave me exactly 1.5ohms.

I don't have fun trying to get the wick to stay put on the sides lol

But so far, it's working pretty well!

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

I'm trying exactly this, with 5 or 6 wraps of 28ga on a 1/8 allen key, gave me exactly 1.5ohms.

View All Quotes
This works on all the Kayfun clones or the real thing. You will need a 3/32 drill bit, 28g Kanthal wire, cotton ball, butane torch, scissors, and tweezers. This build should put you at 1.6 ohms. Before you start torch the piece of wire so it holds it's shape better.

Next put the bottom part of the chamber on. The wick should stay put if not you can move it away from the channels with the flathead. It should look like this.

The past 5 or so rebuilds, I've been just sticking the (dry) wick ends straight up and sliding the chamber over them and threading it on.  Then use something to push the wicks down into the sides where they go.  Then soaking them with juice.  Works good, and is easier than trying to get the little zig-zags to stay in place while you put the chamber on (which is how I used to do it).

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:36:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceDiver] [#21]
I just did this with two stands of cotton yarn.  Much easier than trying to tuck before the chamber/chimney.  So far so good.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
That's exactly how I do it now as well. I tried to be all neat like Rip and other folks, but I'm not that skilled. It seems to work out just fine for me one 2 Kayfun lites.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tutorial. Just built a 1.7 ohm coil with 28 gauge kanthal. 18mg Thug Juice. I haven't had this bad of a nic buzz in a long flipping time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude this place scares me. I read GD and it makes me want to climb in a hole. The vapers den, now that's top notch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#27]

The past 5 or so rebuilds, I've been just sticking the (dry) wick ends straight up and sliding the chamber over them and threading it on.  Then use something to push the wicks down into the sides where they go.  Then soaking them with juice.  Works good, and is easier than trying to get the little zig-zags to stay in place while you put the chamber on (which is how I used to do it).

View All Quotes

that's what I have always done. Much easier

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:

That's how i always have done it as well.

Also i use the chamber as my measurement when installing a new wick.

Insert the new cotton wick, fold the ends straight up, slide the chamber over and screw down. trim wicks level with the end of the chamber. Tuck each side down.

I've never had any issues with any (knocks on wood) kayfun so far.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Have a kayfun light + in the mail should be here Tuesday. I have been playing with micro coils on my trident clone so everything should be kosher. Good thread  will update when it gets here
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFBrews] [#31]

Let us know!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DFBrews:
Have a kayfun light + in the mail should be here Tuesday. I have been playing with micro coils on my trident clone so everything should be kosher. Good thread  will update when it gets here

Let us know!!

Showed up today tore it down cleaned in alcohol checked for the common problems like plastic in air hole crunchy threads etc all seems well it is the ehpro clone  Built a 1.3 ohm coil 28 gauge kanthal wicked with cotton  and took for a test drive 20 or so draws in and still gurgling???

I bottom filled . The coil is about 2 mm above the deck the only thing out of the ordinary I noticed is on the upper part of the chimney it looks like there is an oring boss but it does not have one all my googling does not show a clear picture of it so I don't know if there is supposed to be one or not.

Flavor is amazing though wow blows my nova out if the water. Close to the trident even.

Eta after some research it is just how the unit operates I am not leaking anywhere and does not gurgle with no power going to the coil so it is not flooding. I am a fan!
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#32]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Why you no micro-coil, bro?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#34]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By brass:

The difference between what you see above, and a micro coil is a 10 second easy process after I unscrew the coil from the M3 bolt.  I just squeeze it with the tweezers and heat to red hot, and it's a nice ~7/64" (just shy of 3mm)  internal diameter micro coil (another cool benefit of the ceramic tweezers!).   I skip that step, and it's a nice "traditional coil"

These last longer with the fruity flavors I've been using lately.   The micro-coils get hotter or something and the sugar (or something) coats the coil much quicker.  I can go a couple weeks with what is seen above, at 2 tanks a day.  With a micro coil, i barely make it a week with sweet stuff, and the burnt flavor is way strong, not just a hint of it.    Micro coil works great with the darker/tobacco e-juices.    

Either way, I clean them by removing the wick, then torching the coil, quenching in cold water so the Positive spacer doesn't melt, and repeat 2-4 times until coil looks new, then I just pull through new wick.  I could re-use the same wick after torching it, but it's usually pretty frazzled.  Keeping the wick in when cleaning makes it take a LONG time due to the heat sink effect of the wick.

After about the 3rd cleaning, the coil is so brittle it usually breaks when trying to pull through new wick.   Every time the wire is heated red/white hot and cooled it gets a bit more brittle.

--ETA:  I am just vaping to stop smoking, not chase clouds.  So the wattage I'm running these at is between 7.5W-9W is all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brass:
Why you no micro-coil, bro?

The difference between what you see above, and a micro coil is a 10 second easy process after I unscrew the coil from the M3 bolt.  I just squeeze it with the tweezers and heat to red hot, and it's a nice ~7/64" (just shy of 3mm)  internal diameter micro coil (another cool benefit of the ceramic tweezers!).   I skip that step, and it's a nice "traditional coil"

These last longer with the fruity flavors I've been using lately.   The micro-coils get hotter or something and the sugar (or something) coats the coil much quicker.  I can go a couple weeks with what is seen above, at 2 tanks a day.  With a micro coil, i barely make it a week with sweet stuff, and the burnt flavor is way strong, not just a hint of it.    Micro coil works great with the darker/tobacco e-juices.    

Either way, I clean them by removing the wick, then torching the coil, quenching in cold water so the Positive spacer doesn't melt, and repeat 2-4 times until coil looks new, then I just pull through new wick.  I could re-use the same wick after torching it, but it's usually pretty frazzled.  Keeping the wick in when cleaning makes it take a LONG time due to the heat sink effect of the wick.

After about the 3rd cleaning, the coil is so brittle it usually breaks when trying to pull through new wick.   Every time the wire is heated red/white hot and cooled it gets a bit more brittle.

--ETA:  I am just vaping to stop smoking, not chase clouds.  So the wattage I'm running these at is between 7.5W-9W is all.

Gotcha.

I'm lucky.  None of my juices gunk up too much on micro-coils.  Of course, I only cycle through 2 juices at a time, max.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally broke down today and bought a Kayfun 3.1 clone.
Chopping up my VTR right now so that it can fit on
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Well got my VTR all chopped up for the kayfun and built it (had to top fill as i dont have any needle tips yet) and HOLY CRAP!
Flavor on this thing is on a whole new level compared to my protanks.

Yep, not going back
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:
Well got my VTR all chopped up for the kayfun and built it (had to top fill as i dont have any needle tips yet) and HOLY CRAP!

Yep, not going back
View Quote

Nice.  How does it look?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Nice.  How does it look?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:

Yep, not going back

Nice.  How does it look?

It looks pretty damn awesome.
The dremel did get away from me a little and i put a small scratch on the metal just above the screen but other than that it went smoothly.

I have the SS tank section on it now on my green VTR and the combo looks pretty damn good.
Ill bust out the camera tomorrow evening or this weekend and get some pics of it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#42]
So I just built my first coil. I got 2.0 ohm resistance. I used a tad larger dill bit. So that was to be expected. Using the kfun. Filled it up and fired it. Tastes bad. Burnt tasting almost. Had my svd at 11 watts. Any tips on wat it is. On a good note its not leaking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lcoates33] [#43]
Originally Posted By Thursdaymike:
So I just built my first coil. I got 2.0 ohm resistance. I used a tad larger dill bit. So that was to be expected. Using the kfun. Filled it up and fired it. Tastes bad. Burnt tasting almost. Had my svd at 11 watts. Any tips on wat it is. On a good note its not leaking.
View Quote

Could be that the wicks didn't prime before you fired it.

Wicks too tight/big.

Or watts a bit high. (Always better to start low on a new device and go up.)

ETA: you did thoroughly wash it first right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#44]
So should I replace wick. Or will it prime and get better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Well you could try it again without firing the coil.

If you taste the flavor of your juice, go for it.

If you taste burnt cotton. Re-wick.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Re wicked using less cotton. Put a very generous amount of juice on cotton before assembly. Seems to be working good now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Thursdaymike:
Re wicked using less cotton. Put a very generous amount of juice on cotton before assembly. Seems to be working good now.
View Quote

Good deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Bought a kayfun 3.1 in the big city today to sit on top of the Pro-vari I bought on Monday.  

I'm kinda struggling with these coils. So far I've rolled 3 or them and they ohm'd out 1.6-2.0 using a Fluke multimeter. But as soon as I hit the fire button E1 has popped up every time. Even got an E8 for a fraction of a second on the last one.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By inthe605:
Bought a kayfun 3.1 in the big city today to sit on top of the Pro-vari I bought on Monday.  

I'm kinda struggling with these coils. So far I've rolled 3 or them and they ohm'd out 1.6-2.0 using a Fluke multimeter. But as soon as I hit the fire button E1 has popped up every time. Even got an E8 for a fraction of a second on the last one.

View Quote

Have you checked the meter it self? I literally today had a lead on my fluke go to shit. It was adding 19ohms onto my reading. I wonder if yours is doing the same.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top