Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
For the naysayers, I will say I was treated vastly different when we looked at vehicles together, than when I went alone to pre-scout. I was an inconvenience when I went by myself and dressed my normal way. When I wore chinos and a sweater, they much more enthusiastically helped us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then pop that collar, Buffy!
View Quote
Strangely her financial advisor is named Buff
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

She has an extensive lingerie collection and it’s own dresser. Cooks like a French chef, house is immaculate.
View Quote
Based on that information and the picture you provided, I'd say stepping it up a notch is in order.

Also, purge your wardrobe of sweatpants and such... sweatpants are what you wear when you get prepped for your colonoscopy, not when you marry a young, attractive woman who likes to slut it up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

She has an extensive lingerie collection and it’s own dresser. Cooks like a French chef, house is immaculate.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For the naysayers, I will say I was treated vastly different when we looked at vehicles together, than when I went alone to pre-scout. I was an inconvenience when I went by myself and dressed my normal way. When I wore chinos and a sweater, they much more enthusiastically helped us.
View Quote
Duh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's ok not to be a slob all the time.
View Quote
This.

Perhaps you need new friends. (who know how to dress)

The fact that you never cared is significant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I dress for the occassion...

Greasy carpenter pants & t-shirt chainsawing/tractor work

Jeans/Khakis/shorts & Polo to work

Button-down & slacks to church

Suit to more formal events

Sometimes I look homeless, sometimes I look like James Bond — most of the time I'm somewhere in between
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The ex was working on improving my image. Holy Shit though - why did you get me a nice jacket if I can't wear it out when I need it to do jacket type things, like keep the rain off of me?

The concept of a jacket that you can't get wet... It's sort of like shoes you can't get dirty or...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dress for the occassion...

Greasy carpenter pants & t-shirt chainsawing/tractor work

Jeans/Khakis/shorts & Polo to work

Button-down & slacks to church

Suit to more formal events

Sometimes I look homeless, sometimes I look like James Bond  most of the time I'm somewhere in between
View Quote
I very much prefer looking as close to James Bond as I can come, if the occasion suits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I very much prefer looking as close to James Bond as I can come, if the occasion suits.
View Quote
It's fun... occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Upbringing (or the lack of it) always shows in threads like this one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't get it.  You can look nice with very little effort. It shows that you care about her. You appreciate having a beautiful wife on your arm. Why can't you do the same for her? Unless she's expecting you to dress ghey why don't accommodate her?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't get it.  You can look nice with very little effort. It shows that you care about her. You appreciate having a beautiful wife on your arm. Why can't you do the same for her? Unless she's expecting you to dress ghey why don't accommodate her?
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
As a female, it kind of blows my mind that you get all the way to marriage and now she is wanting to revamp who you are.

I guess it depends on what she is trying to do. Personally a lot of that would be a turn off to me... but YMMV

Getting dressed up and cleaning up nice for certain occasions and what not I don't think is "changing" you.. but if she is wanting you to change your style period for her everyday... that is more concerning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't imagine any woman with any class, upbringing or education wanting to go to a nice restaurant (as an example) with a guy wearing mismatched, ill-fitting clothes, and looking like he is being punished by having to wear a clean shirt, a jacket, real slacks (that compliments) and dress shoes, and heaven forbid a necktie.

Also, leave the goddam ball cap at home.

The Sopranos - Take your hat off
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Upbringing (or the lack of it) always shows in threads like this one.
View Quote
That’s kind of what I equate the situation to. We were both brought up with different values on this particular issue.  I’m just having to adjust a bit
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If she demands you lose the instructors belt for one of those skinny cloth belts with the nautical flags on it....EJECT!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's kind of what I equate the situation to. We were both brought up with different values on this particular issue.  I'm just having to adjust a bit
View Quote
I don't want to draw this out, but it isn't a matter of "values" it is a matter of social education, which I am calling "upbringing".
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#21]
My bride always claims how I look when I go out is a reflection on her. Since she makes a great sandwich and I only have to ask once, I'm cool with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My bride always claims how I look when I go out is a reflection on her. Since she makes a great sandwich and I only have to ask once, I'm cool with it.
View Quote
Very much this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LL Bean is preppy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How preppy are we talking?  LL Bean/Eddie Bauer or Vineyard Vines?
LL Bean is preppy?
Are you saying it’s not?  OP still hasn't answered degree of preppiness.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LL Bean is preppy?
View Quote
Brooks Brothers is preppy.

"Get your balls back" and continue to dress inappropriately, OP.

You'll show her!

This place ...............
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a thought - If dressing up makes her happier...Aren't you in for a better time, anyway?

At the sacrifice of a little effort?

Seems like a win/win to me...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok to brass tacks, Brooks Brothers button down shirts... what colors do I need?   I’m also going to assume I’ll have to get them taylored a bit, because my neck, chest and shoulders are vastly wider than my waist.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ok to brass tacks, Brooks Brothers button down shirts... what colors do I need?   I’m also going to assume I’ll have to get them taylored a bit, because my neck, chest and shoulders are vastly wider than my waist.
View Quote
Blues for shirts and grays for pants, light brown shoes and belt. Darker blue shirt than your light blue/gray cardigan.

I prefer Robert Graham or Thomas Pink shirts (over Brooks Brothers) and usually will wear dark blue David Bitton, Calvin Klein, 7 for Man Kind jeans with those and black boots.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amazon and others offer complete, coordinated outfits. If I was still dressing for office casual, I'd do that and save myself the struggle. Back then, I'd drop into Macy's about 1-2 times a year for fresh clothes and get the salespeople to help choose.

Depending on your build, off the rack athletic cuts can be good. 3 general cuts. Generous, which is 99% of what discount stores have on the rack, cut for fat guys. Regular cut for, well, regular size people with a waist size appropriate to height. Athletic cuts are trim in the gut with room up top. You don't have to spend a fortune on tailored shirts, however the trade off is time it takes to try shit on and find a brand that fits right.

ETA: You should probably visit a Macy's or the like with salespeople for the first time. One to get them to measure you and two so you can try some on to see what's going to be comfortable. It will go a long way toward making better choices should you get the next ones online.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ok to brass tacks, Brooks Brothers button down shirts... what colors do I need?   I'm also going to assume I'll have to get them taylored a bit, because my neck, chest and shoulders are vastly wider than my waist.
View Quote
You may be a candidate for made to measure.

Ask about it.

(tailored is the word that you seek)
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dur... that's the way it always is.
Dressing nice almost always commands respect.
It's a symbol of success and power.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I prefer the shorts and t-shirt look for car dealers.  Dressing nice is like showing your cards when playing poker.

I negotiate my deal and then pay cash.  A dealer should never know what they are up against.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#32]
She wants you to be her "arm candy".  Preppy for going out and grungie for work.. It will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ask about it.

View Quote
Yeah, I’m 6’6” and about 210 pounds.  When I bought a suit this summer, I bought a Hartz Shaffer and Marx New York Cut in 46L and had to have the jacket and trouser waist/seat taken in quite a bit. The size was dictated by my shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, I’m 6’6” and about 210 pounds.  When I bought a suit this summer, I bought a Hartz Shaffer and Marx New York Cut in 46L and had to have the jacket and trouser waist/seat taken in quite a bit. The size was dictated by my shoulders.
View Quote
You might find that Robert Graham shirts will not need to be altered.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Have her buy your new wardrobe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have two "styles"

1: I look like I have been out in the barn chor'in all day

2: I have nice clothes to wear to nice places

Dress up sometimes for your new wife. Maybe she wants to show you off and brag about how good you are in the sack to her friends.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which is why I specifically dress like a bum when I'm shopping for a large purchase.  The guy who doesn't treat me like an inconvenience is going to have a nice day.  Last time I bought one of my vehicles, sweatpants and a hoodie, unshaven for a few days.  Oh, and I had a cashier's check for $25k in my pocket.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I pretty much dress “preppy” all the time. Some of y’all’s suggestions are way off.

I’d start here. http://www.ivy-style.com/

There’s also the Trad forum at Ask Andy. It’s not exactly the Arfcom of the fashion world but they have some good stuff.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/forums/andys-trad-forum.41/

There’s also Muffy Aldrich https://www.saltwaternewengland.com/
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Depends on the direction she wants you to go. Eddie Bauer, LLBean aren't bad. SCrew isn't my thing and the Polo Shop has some decent stuff. Offer a compromise, preppy when you're with her people, your clothes when you're with your people
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Basic outfit that works well with 90% of occasions.

-Dark, high quality blue jeans
-Untucked, well fitting button up shirt
-Nice, matte (non shiny) dress shoes

In terms of everyday dress shoes, Cole Hahn is the way to go. Rubber, non slip soles, padded insoles. Extremely comfortable while also stylish.

https://www.colehaan.com/feathercraft-grand-blucher-oxford-black/C29702.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask about it.

MTM, even "on line" is what you seek.

Based on the pic posted I'd step up my game buddy! Just saying. Beautiful bride by the way, looks and sounds like you married up, like big time.
So as a guy who spent most of his life wearing scrubs or some type of uniform I found in my 50's how much I like dressing up. At home and working in the garage or gumsmithing sure I dress like a semi homeless person but at work or out for an evening I just soon wear some nice clothes. It's Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and MTM suits or slacks and dress shirts if not a suit, depending on circumstances. Try it you may find you like dressing up and showing off your equally well dressed bride. It does not take much to look better than 90% of most out there.

I'm not sure what you are meaning by "preppy" but I bet she would be happy if you just stepped up your game a couple notches. More wool slacks, nice dress shirts and some shined oxfords and maybe a tie every now and then. Love me some faded loose jeans and my Merrill shoes or some 5.11's but again it's depending on circumstances. Are you going to the gun range or out for an evening dinner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Button front shirt does not equal preppy.

Button-down OCBD from Brooks Brothers is in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:39:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have her buy your new wardrobe.
View Quote
I’m not paying for this stuff.  I have guns to buy
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok so there are a couple of blogs you can check out for help:

http://offthecuffdc.com/
Old school preppy style blog focused on

https://dappered.com/
Budget focused style blog with a good forum for ideas on what to wear

Try Brooks Brothers Milano fit for a tapered sport shirt that may not need tailoring. Super preppy style can also be gotten with some LL Bean items, Lands End, Vineyard Vines, and Southern Tide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Based on the pic posted I'd step up my game buddy! Just saying. Beautiful bride by the way, looks and sounds like you married up, like big time.
So as a guy who spent most of his life wearing scrubs or some type of uniform I found in my 50's how much I like dressing up. At home and working in the garage or gumsmithing sure I dress like a semi homeless person but at work or out for an evening I just soon wear some nice clothes. It's Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and MTM suits or slacks and dress shirts if not a suit, depending on circumstances. Try it you may find you like dressing up and showing off your equally well dressed bride. It does not take much to look better than 90% of most out there.

I'm not sure what you are meaning by "preppy" but I bet she would be happy if you just stepped up your game a couple notches. More wool slacks, nice dress shirts and some shined oxfords and maybe a tie every now and then. Love me some faded loose jeans and my Merrill shoes or some 5.11's but again it's depending on circumstances. Are you going to the gun range or out for an evening dinner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask about it.

+1 on the MTM (made to measure).

With a few minutes of measuring you can have shirts, pants and jackets made for your body.  Will they be quite to the level of bespoke items?  No.  Will they be far superior to off the rack items.  Yes.

I like Proper Cloth for shirts and pants.  I am fortunate that I can buy a certain Big & Tall size jacket off the rack and just need minor tailoring with a local lady.  For suits I am able to get jacket and pants that are pretty close and then have minor adjustments made by the tailor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok so there are a couple of blogs you can check out for help:

http://offthecuffdc.com/
Old school preppy style blog focused on

https://dappered.com/
Budget focused style blog with a good forum for ideas on what to wear

Try Brooks Brothers Milano fit for a tapered sport shirt that may not need tailoring. Super preppy style can also be gotten with some LL Bean items, Lands End, Vineyard Vines, and Southern Tide.
View Quote
And J. Crew
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Your gun buddies will not pretend they don’t know you. However, when you are with them at wild, drunken smokers or on hikes and field exercises you will be used and passed around as the group bottom.

ETA: (1) In all seriousness, you'd gladly take a bullet for her. Why wouldn't you do whatever is necessary to make her happy?

(2)
I’m also going to assume I’ll have to get them taylored a bit, because my neck, chest and shoulders are vastly wider than my waist.
View Quote
Disgusting humblebrag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wife is also a New Englander.

She knows there are times when I clean up and look like a well dressed middle aged man. There are times apart from that when I am gray man (boots/jeans/hat/hoodie/shirt jacket) but well armed and prepared.  

I don't go anywhere out like a schlub.  Marriage is compromise but I do it on my own accord.  I also work Plainclothes LE and wear jacket and tie at work.
View Quote

My grandfather was detective. When I was a boy I once asked him why he always wore suits to work. His reply: "When Homicide shows up at your door, it should be clear that they're not there to clean the pool."
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#49]
OP - she is put together nicely. Her eyebrows are shaped, etc.  

Take a look at Mizzen+Main. Can go from casual to business casual without issue. Not quite as starched as Brooks Brothers.  Also, I do not agree that you wearing some nicer clothing, at the proper time, is “changing who you are.”  You will not look silly at 38 wearing a button down shirt.  You may look silly if the colors are all pastel with sweaters tied around your shoulders. Balance, OP. Balance.

Mizzen and Main

Check the guy’s look at top of main page. This is my go-to for dinner, business casual, etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks. It probably does, and likes the traditional preppy look. She’s a New Englander, from an “established” family, and went to Harvard undergrad and grad school.  I’d assume this look is just what she’s familiar with.  I’m I going to look stupid as a 38 year old man dressing this way? Will my gun buddies pretend they don’t know me?  Am I going to miss my carhartt hoodies?
View Quote

I don't understand why she married you if she didn't like the way you dress.  

But anyway, you can pull it off if you are careful.  I shop exclusively at Men's Wearhouse, and they can help you
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top