Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2015 11:15:40 PM EDT
And, what brand or make your own?  I have never used the stuff but am thinking of trying it out.  There isn't anywhere local that stocks it so I am going to be ordering or making my own so what are you using?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Honest Amish Beard balm.  

HERE

ETA: I don't care for the Honest Amish beard wax.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I got some at the same time as the balm and I vastly prefer the balm.  It may be that I keep my beard short.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Dollar beard club oil and balm. They seem like a good product but the company itself sucks. Takes 3 weeks for an order to arrive and they charge stupid amount for shipping as they use DHL then transfer over to USPS for final delivery. I'm looking for something new myself or I'm going to start making my own. Ain't that hard just got to find all the ingredients and put it together.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Recently got some trial packs from Grave before shave and Badass beard care.  Mostly to gauge the scents I may like.  Money wise making your own seems to be the ticket.

So far I like the oils.  I've only tried one of the balms from Badass trial kits so far.  Seems to do the same thing the oils do, didn't notice any particular styling attribute with it.  So it may just be preference as to how you like to apply stuff.

Doubt I will buy any branded oils in the future.  Once I get some scents I like, I'll just start making my own.  As for balms, if I decide they have any use beyond the oils, I may buy those.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
When my beard was long I used Honest Amish beard balm and Beardbrand beard oil. Oil in the morning and balm at night. Not every day, but often.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Local place makes it own soaps and beard stuff. I am trying it soon.  GF got me some for a stocking stuffer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
what is the benefit of either one?

Got beard, keep it short.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Bluebeards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what is the benefit of either one?

Got beard, keep it short.
View Quote

Softens beard, moisturizes, and makes it easier to tame.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
check out grave before shave.  Everything I have gotten from them has been top notch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I use both.
Sometimes balm and sometimes oil.
For oil i just use the Dollar Beard Club stuff. Seems pretty good
For Balm i make my own, its stupid simple.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use Dr. Bonner's hemp oil soap and then follow it up with moisturizing cream, rubbed in really good. I've had my beard continuously since I was 18 years old. Trim it usually once a week now, used to trim it 2-3 times when I was younger. At the store where I used to work they sold beard shampoo and conditioner. I detect nothing special from any specialty beard product. That's just me. But now that my beard is mostly gray, I think sometimes I look like a skinnier Santa Claus wannabe. Man, the years have gone by fast. Oh well, better than a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Balm, make my own takes about 10 mins and makes enough to fill an Altoids tin
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Balm, make my own takes about 10 mins and makes enough to fill an Altoids tin
View Quote

making your own oil takes about 30 seconds if you have the ingredients.  It becomes a personal preference pretty quickly.  Get your carrier base, and add essential oils that are pleasing to you or, better yet, the opposite sex, and go for broke.  Cheap, quick, and easy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using the Dollar Beard Club oil and wash.
I know that there are a lot of opinions on beard wash but I have about 6" of growth at the moment and every normal shampoo ive tried makes my beard itch like crazy.

For beard oil its had to beat dollar beard clubs price, even with the shipping. Some places charge up to 25 bucks/ounce

I also use beard balm when i want a bit more hold, for balm I make my own.
everything you need can be had off Amazon and there are a ton of recipes online.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been using this for years and its like $3-$4

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried an assortment of products and in the end didn't see any real benefit from any of them.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like Honest Amish Beard balm.     HERE
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/614-bG8TpYL.jpg

ETA: I don't care for the Honest Amish beard wax.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I got some at the same time as the balm and I vastly prefer the balm.  It may be that I keep my beard short.  

View Quote

I used Honest Amish Beard Balm when my beard was long, it's great stuff. Now that I have it short I use an oil.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like Honest Amish Beard balm.     HERE
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/614-bG8TpYL.jpg

View Quote

Another +1 for the Amish, works well and keeps your beard soft.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone use coconut oil? I have been for about 2 days and it seems Ok. I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and Beard. It hurts and bleeds if I don't wash the Beard every day...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Walmart sells cremo beard oil I've been using it not bad helps stop my beard itch and as mentioned helps tame those wild wiskers. I noticed it when I bought cremo shaving cream for de shaving.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive tried samples of a bunch of different brands, and found The Beard Baron brand oil works best for me. My beard is probably ~3 inches at this point, and I have very coarse, dark facial hair. The BB stuff makes my beard noticeably softer than anything else I have tried, so Ive stuck with it. Also if it matters to you, the scent of the BB oils sticks around longer than other brands I have tried as well, some guys prefer a beard oil that wears like a cologne.  

Also have used the Amish beard balm in the past, and it is my second choice.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I got some stuff at The Art of Shaving store in the mall and damn it was expensive, luckily I had a gift card.

It's my first time buying, so I don't know much about it all. It's a dry oil, and really like how soft my beard is with it, also using a beard conditioner in the shower.

I would like to try more stuff, different stuff. I have not tried any oil, I see a lot on Facebook but have not bought into any yet.

2.5 months of growth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Coconut oil
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like Honest Amish Beard balm.  

HEREhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/614-bG8TpYL.jpg

View Quote

Ordered some tonight. will report back
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#25]
tried a few
I like the honest amish
but my wife bought me some stuff by blades grim
she bought me a entire kit
with balm and beard specific shampoo and conditioner

I was pretty skeptical and didn't see the benefit of beard shampoo
until my beard grew out more and I started having trouble with keeping it tame

the smell she bought was smolder and it has a smell I cant describe but wife loves it
its like a smokey sweet citrus smell and makes her      
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got some stuff at The Art of Shaving store in the mall and damn it was expensive, luckily I had a gift card.

It's my first time buying, so I don't know much about it all. It's a dry oil, and really like how soft my beard is with it, also using a beard conditioner in the shower.

I would like to try more stuff, different stuff. I have not tried any oil, I see a lot on Facebook but have not bought into any yet.

2.5 months of growth.
View Quote

I made the same mistake a few weeks ago, and so far, I'm less than impressed. I let the guy there talk me into this $30 tin of "dry oil", and really should've brought it back the next day. I was looking for something with decent holding power but this stuff just doesn't have the hold I need to tame the wild hairs. Even using it twice a day, I still have to trim a lot of strays every damn time I look in the mirror.

ETA: This thread prompted me to dig out my beard trimmer and buzz off several months' worth of growth, taking it all down to ~3/8". The $30 I wasted on that shit could've been used for something more useful, like ammo or bourbon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife has had me try several different brands and so far I have really started to enjoy Warlords shampoo/oil and balms. So far the scent I like the most is Southern Tobacco. My wife really likes supporting the company because it's owned and operated by veterans out of GA. In a close 2nd I like the Johnny B line as well. Good luck in your journey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:47:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been using balm from canyouhandlebar.com and locally bought jojoba.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#29]
So you guys making your own, what are your recipes?
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I make my own using coconut oil as the carrier.  I buy large tubs from Costco anyway.  I put it in a small mason jar then add a specific amount of essential oil.  I use peppermint and cedar wood currently.  Top off with coconut oil.  I am going to try tea tree oil next.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Straight coconut oil is pretty good at keeping a it soft, stopping dandruff and making it civilized.  Honest Amish balm is good for shaping and making it not scruffy.  My current favorite balm is Grave Before Shave' s Viking Blend or Vanilla Cigar blend.  Two thumbnails of either, and a quick brushing, turns a mountain man beard into something almost professional looking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Last week I received my first free sample from badassbeardcare.com
I've used the oil and the balm and I like them. The video they have shows, according to them, to use the oil first from the roots up then follow that with the balm to keep in manageable.
I did it this morning and it works pretty good. I think I'll be picking up a regular size bottle of oil and balm tub soon. The scent I got was "The Patriot" and the wife thinks it smells good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Walmart sells cremo beard oil I've been using it not bad helps stop my beard itch and as mentioned helps tame those wild wiskers. I noticed it when I bought cremo shaving cream for de shaving.
View Quote
This one is the only one I've tried...  I've been using the Tea Tree Mint I think it was...

Its like 9.00 for a 1.5 oz bottle, with dropper thing.

My beard never really bothered me or itched before, but was a bit rough or wiry. I though I'd try this to Soften it some and look a bit more groomed...

I'd like to try a few others, but haven't found any more local.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I use non scented coconut oil
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I make my own oil and balm.  Cheaper and I know whats in it and how its going to smell.  Hopefully should have samples to start the business up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Last week I received my first free sample from badassbeardcare.com
I've used the oil and the balm and I like them. The video they have shows, according to them, to use the oil first from the roots up then follow that with the balm to keep in manageable.
I did it this morning and it works pretty good. I think I'll be picking up a regular size bottle of oil and balm tub soon. The scent I got was "The Patriot" and the wife thinks it smells good.
View Quote
I have this and like it as well
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So you guys making your own, what are your recipes?
View Quote
This. I just started using Honest Amish leave in conditioner and do like it but would like to try some homemade stuff out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This. I just started using Honest Amish leave in conditioner and do like it but would like to try some homemade stuff out.
View Quote
I make my own balm and oil.

I watched a few YouTube videos to get started.

Really like my oil. The balm recipe I used does not have a lot of scent to it. You smell more of the bees wax than anything. I need to melt it back down and add more essential oil to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Glycerine from Walmart. Clear, smelly, funk nasty. Use for three to four days in a row and it makes my beard much softer. No idea about you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Edited apologies, lol not GD.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
tried a few
I like the honest amish
but my wife bought me some stuff by blades grim
she bought me a entire kit
with balm and beard specific shampoo and conditioner

I was pretty skeptical and didn't see the benefit of beard shampoo
until my beard grew out more and I started having trouble with keeping it tame

the smell she bought was smolder and it has a smell I cant describe but wife loves it
its like a smokey sweet citrus smell and makes her

View Quote
Blades Grim Smolder is great stuff. Make sure to get the large bottle.

Badass beard care also has some good stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top